ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags linux

Old 7th April 2011, 02:16 AM   #121
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
Where? I'm never given the option to do that. I get to no GUI, and after selecting ubuntu to load, it runs a bunch of command line stuff, then goes directly to the permanent black screen.
There's usually an option somewhere to press keys before the boot process starts and alter the command line. I've not used wubi, so perhaps someone else here could provide info on how to access it.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:27 AM   #122
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Ok, I did find a place to alter the command line. I just removed quiet splash, and didn't add nomodeset. Trying that now. Be right back.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 02:39 AM   #123
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Good and bad progress made. I go nomodeset to work. The installation progresses up to the point where it looks for the disc I don't have. (Makes sense, I was using Daemon tools to mount the ISO and ran it that way. In windows)

So from here I think I need to get my disc drive working, then burn a disc, then take it from there.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 02:55 AM   #124
Mister Earl
Illuminator

ARGH. And [expletive deleted] if I can even upload my drivers anymore. Dell's stupid page makes me use a dell driver download manager thing, and even after selecting what I drivers I need the bloody thing doesn't work!

*facedesk*
Old 7th April 2011, 05:05 AM   #125
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Ok, patience is gone. I've whipped out the old factory-reset disc and used that with an external drive. I'm in the midst of completely reloading everything. Once that is done, my drive should work like it always has, and then I can try Ubuntu again.
Old 7th April 2011, 05:30 AM   #126
Captain_Snort
Muse

And that is why I never buy Dell.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:59 AM   #127
tuoni
Critical Thinker

Excellent! Think weekend I'm going to give it a shot. Which flavor of Linux do you recommend using PlayOnLinux on? I've got a pretty high-end Alienware laptop it's going to be going on. I'm worried about drivers and such, but I'm pretty sure while it might be bumpy, it won't be impossible.

Oh, and thank you!
You can run PoL on any flavour you wish, so long as it runs python! I would say probably avoid back|track, it's a custom distro based on ubuntu specifically for pentesting/security auditing etc, I ended up with it as a full-time OS because my hard-drive went pop and literally all of my other CDs are hundreds of miles away, it's not really intended to be used as I'm using it. Other than that, I haven't really used any other Linux distros in the past 5+ years (Solaris and NetBSD for me!) so I can't really help you there.

As others have said, your bet bet is the proprietary NVidia drivers which you can obtain from their driver page and install (drop to terminal, "sudo run NVidi*.sh" in the folder you downloaded it to should do the trick) - it should handle all of the adjusting of config files for X for you - type "startx" and you should be presented with an NVidia logo and then asked to logon or whatever.

Good luck on your happy adventures with beating your machine until it decides it wants to play nice.
!M-- !V-- PS+ PE++ Y++>$ PGP+++ t- 5- X++ R* tv- b++ DI++ D++ G+ e++
h++(-) r y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
tuoni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 09:05 AM   #128
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I remember it did have NVIDIA in its name but I don't know a lot about drivers or video cards.

I searched online and I heard that Optimus causes problems and they aren't supporting linux.

There are 64 bit drivers for that card too. Since I found the card specifically listed as being supported by NVidia (they make and distribute the drivers for Windows and Linux), I'm a bit confused about what you may be seeing as "not supporting Linux". It might be that there are certain features that may be supported under Windows that the card can perform that they didn't bother to code for the Linux drivers, I guess, though I don't honestly know enough about the particulars of video cards to even do more than speculate.

As commandlinegamer said about the Neuveau drivers -- they are the open-source drivers I was saying normally work on boot but don't support all the fancy bells and whistles that the proprietary NVidia drivers do.

And I have personally had some grief over the Neuveau and NVidia drivers and trying to install one over the other. I had to specifically write down the commands after many hours of searching. I can post what I found to work, but it is aimed at a Debian or Debian-based distro. I know that Ubuntu is based on Debian, though there are a few minor commandline changes which I can figure out for you if you'd like.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:43 AM   #129
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Computer's playing nice now. Or nicer anyway. Luckily these things come with a little DvD that resets everything to right-out-of-the-box. It's a slightly older version of windows, but I can worry about that later. I should have Ubuntu installed before I even go to work this afternoon.

#EDIT: All right. I'm in Ubuntu now. Not gonna have time to muck around in it... time to go to work =\

#EDIT2: Ok. Tonight I might just make Ubuntu the main OS now that I know I can get it running with little difficulty. I can get to the GUI, I've familiarized myself with it quite a bit. Then I just need to figure out how to install hardware and drivers and the like. I've got a monitor plugged into the laptop that Ubuntu didn't seem to see, so I'll have to sort that out as well. Considering I just did a full whack/reload, I might as well go full Ubuntu as I won't lose anything. If I'm going to learn a full system, I may as well go full immersion with it!

Last edited by Mister Earl; 7th April 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 7th April 2011, 01:09 PM   #130
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Hm, trying to install Ubuntu on a laptop and the CDs keep booting to the error:
GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

The odd thing is that I used the same CD to install on that same computer in the past.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:31 PM   #131
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I've no idea, unfortunately, Tsukasa.
Old 7th April 2011, 03:10 PM   #132
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Computer's playing nice now. Or nicer anyway. Luckily these things come with a little DvD that resets everything to right-out-of-the-box. It's a slightly older version of windows, but I can worry about that later. I should have Ubuntu installed before I even go to work this afternoon.

#EDIT: All right. I'm in Ubuntu now. Not gonna have time to muck around in it... time to go to work =\

#EDIT2: Ok. Tonight I might just make Ubuntu the main OS now that I know I can get it running with little difficulty. I can get to the GUI, I've familiarized myself with it quite a bit. Then I just need to figure out how to install hardware and drivers and the like. I've got a monitor plugged into the laptop that Ubuntu didn't seem to see, so I'll have to sort that out as well. Considering I just did a full whack/reload, I might as well go full Ubuntu as I won't lose anything. If I'm going to learn a full system, I may as well go full immersion with it!
That's also sort of how I got into it. I tried Ubuntu as a dual boot, but after trying to remove Ubuntu from the disk because I didn't like it enough, I found out (and I think many people will know what comes next) that I couldn't access Windows any more. All I got was a GRUB error. After failing to find a way to mend it (I was using illegal Windows XP at the time, so no hope of recovering), I used a tiny laptop for a while.

After a considerable time of using the laptop, I made the bold move of completely removing Windows, and installing Ubuntu instead. it was probably not the best experience of Linux, since not all the hardware was fully supported (I used a 5/4 screen ratio in stead of the standard 4/3 for some time, because the highest resolution was in 5/4), but really, immersing myself in Ubuntu gave me a sense of freedom and adventure (I was venturing into an area nobody I knew at the time had really gone), it also brought with it the same feeling I had when I first learned to ride a bicycle, the feeling that at any moment, any action can cause you to crash. The feeling is justified though, that is, until you get to know what certain parts of certain commands mean, and where certain settings for programs are stored. Also, getting a god sense of how synaptic package manager works helped a lot.

To me, it was very much like exploring an unknown piece of land, on a different planet, in a different reality; some of the rules you know apply, but you need to learn a heck of a lot more to get along.

Cheers
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 03:17 PM   #133
Alan
Illuminator

I had a similar situation. I installed Ubuntu alongside Windows 7, decided I didn't like Ubuntu and decided to get rid of it. But the recovery disc I set up before installing Ubuntu didn't work and I had a system without a working OS.

My Windows 7 disc was one of those ones where you upgrade from XP or Vista, so it wouldn't be of assistance. And I don't think I had it with me at the time and still don't.

So I installed the disc I did have: Ubuntu.

And I came to like it a lot, and I tried out a very wide variety of distros and listen to a lot of podcasts and read blogs.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 03:40 PM   #134
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I'm not too worried if it takes me a long time to get everything working, either. I've got the feeling Minecraft won't be difficult to get running. That can keep me sane until I've figured out everything else.
Old 7th April 2011, 03:50 PM   #135
Captain_Snort
Muse

Originally Posted by Bram Kaandorp View Post
All I got was a GRUB error. After failing to find a way to mend it (
fdisk /mbr (freedos disc)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=1 (linux)
Old 7th April 2011, 04:04 PM   #136
Alan
Illuminator

I'm not too worried if it takes me a long time to get everything working, either. I've got the feeling Minecraft won't be difficult to get running. That can keep me sane until I've figured out everything else.
Yes, it's very easy. You just download the linux file from the website, then you right click on it, choose Properties, choose Permissions, click to open as executable, click on the tab about what you open with and pick the java one.

Double clicking on the minecraft.jar file will open it.

That's going from memory...
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2011, 04:21 PM   #137
Mister Earl
Illuminator

How about getting it to see the monitor plugged in? I'm googling around and reading what I can in preparation for tonight, but no luck so far.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:49 PM   #138
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Ivor the Engineer View Post
I've started this process this week. I say 'process' because I've never had a Linux install go smoothly. This one was no different.

I'm installing Ubuntu 10.10 on a VIA Epia M10000 ITX motherboard (iirc, circa 2006) with 1GB RAM, 80GB+100GB HDs, on-board graphics (CLE266) and wired internet access.
Why not use slackware? The installation process might not be as basic as some of the other versions (at least until you run into problems with the other versions) but it is simple enough if you have a decent installation guide (eg: http://genek.net/LinuxAdventures/sys...allation1.html).

I have installed slackware on several different machines and been 100% successful every time.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2011, 12:14 AM   #139
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Well. Tonight I tried to install straight Ubuntu. A dismal failure, I'm afraid. Several times it wouldn't let me continue the installation. Finally I turned off downloading updates during installation, and the proprietary optional software. It installed then, but booting immediately brought up a disaster recovery prompt. So, back to windows 7 for the time being. When I've got more time and patience I'll give it another go.
Old 8th April 2011, 03:07 AM   #140
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Well. Tonight I tried to install straight Ubuntu. A dismal failure, I'm afraid. Several times it wouldn't let me continue the installation. Finally I turned off downloading updates during installation, and the proprietary optional software. It installed then, but booting immediately brought up a disaster recovery prompt. So, back to windows 7 for the time being. When I've got more time and patience I'll give it another go.
I am sorry to hear that the install doesn't just work very well and gives you such headaches. Although, you don't actually have to use Ubuntu, and maybe you have more luck with something else. There are other good and easy distros such as openSUSE or Mint or ...
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 06:19 AM   #141
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Might give it another shot. Having trouble now with even a fresh install of win 7. After running windows update, it kills my fps for even the simplest 3D games, which is ludicrous. I've got dual Geforce 280Ms in SLI mode on a system with 8GB of 1333mhz RAM. I should be getting more than 60fps, yet it'll drop to 7. I've pretty much had it with windows.

I can't even get the bloody service pack to install! It fails every [expletive deleted] time! And then I gotta go to the microsoft site to download some tool or another that's supposed to fix the problem. I run the tool and it hangs and never does anything.

Last edited by Mister Earl; 13th April 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 13th April 2011, 07:39 AM   #142
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Ok, installed Ubuntu again. It went completely this time, but when it boots, I get a "grub rescue" prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 13th April 2011, 07:47 AM   #143
Captain_Snort
Muse

Did you partition the drive? and where did you install Ubuntu and where did you install GRUB?
Old 13th April 2011, 07:54 AM   #144
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Fresh install, drive partitioned. Installed Ubuntu on my main hard disk (two SSD drives run in a raid as one drive). Not sure about grub, just ran the live CD and told it to install as the primary OS.

(Edit: I'm posting after booting again from the live CD under run ubuntu without install, so I can get to the net to figure this out)
Old 13th April 2011, 08:02 AM   #145
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Ok... managed to get to a command line and familiarized myself with basic folder movement. It seems my hard disk is under /media/(long alphanumeric string/. There's a dev folder, but no sda folder.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:04 AM   #146
Captain_Snort
Muse

Hold on, you are playing games and have SSD drives in a RAID setup?
Old 13th April 2011, 08:06 AM   #147
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I'm not even to that point yet, Captain. Yes, SSD drives, intend on playing games, but cannot yet get a fresh ubuntu install to boot. I'm working off the live CD at the moment. When trying to boot, it takes me right to that recovery prompt. From what I can dig up on the 'net, grub didn't install. Or I think so.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:16 AM   #148
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Little subnote: Tried to download and install the linux graphics drivers. Got .run files, but can't seem to use them.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:19 AM   #149
tuoni
Critical Thinker

When trying to boot, it takes me right to that recovery prompt. From what I can dig up on the 'net, grub didn't install. Or I think so.
grub-install from your Live-CD should do the trick.

And to install the drivers, drop out of X, navigate to the folder you downloaded to (~, most likely) and type

sudo sh NV*.run

That should do the installation for you.
h++(-) r y+
tuoni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 08:21 AM   #150
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Awesome! trying now

#EDIT: Hrm. It's saying I need to specify a location. Not sure where to put it.

Last edited by Mister Earl; 13th April 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:22 AM   #151
tuoni
Critical Thinker

I'm not even to that point yet, Captain. Yes, SSD drives, intend on playing games, but cannot yet get a fresh ubuntu install to boot. I'm working off the live CD at the moment. When trying to boot, it takes me right to that recovery prompt. From what I can dig up on the 'net, grub didn't install. Or I think so.
Give this a go:

How to Restore the Grub Menu after a Re-Ghosting:

1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.

2. Open a Terminal. Go SuperUser (that is, type "su"). Enter root passwords as necessary.

3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.

4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.

5. Type "root (hd0,3)".

6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".

7. Type "quit".

8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD.

(taken from HERE)
h++(-) r y+
Old 13th April 2011, 08:25 AM   #152
Mister Earl
Illuminator

no idea what the su pass might be. Tried the pass from my original ubuntu install, didn't work. Also tried both Ubuntu and ubuntu. Didn't work either.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:28 AM   #153
tuoni
Critical Thinker

no idea what the su pass might be. Tried the pass from my original ubuntu install, didn't work. Also tried both Ubuntu and ubuntu. Didn't work either.
use "sudo grub" instead
h++(-) r y+
Old 13th April 2011, 08:30 AM   #154
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Little subnote: Tried to download and install the linux graphics drivers. Got .run files, but can't seem to use them.
You need to have a bunch of tools and "materials" installed. On the tools side there are 'make' and 'gcc' etc and on the "materials" side there are things like kernel-sources.

Next thing is that you probably need to disable the 'nouveau' opensource driver.

(What you precisely need to have installed, and how precisely - if at needed at all - blacklisting of nouveau works on Ubuntu, I don't know. I could point you to some handy articles for openSUSE though.)

And when that is done, simply navigate to the folder that contains the NVIDIA drivers and type: 'sh NV' and then hit TAB to autocomplete and enter to execute.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 08:33 AM   #155
Mister Earl
Illuminator

It's telling me grub isn't found.

#EDIT: Ok, navigating around, I found media/(long alphanumeric string)/boot/grub. Sudo grub in there gives me the same error.

Last edited by Mister Earl; 13th April 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:40 AM   #156
tuoni
Critical Thinker

It's telling me grub isn't found.
"mount" will show you where your (mounted) HDD is located as a device and then

sudo grub-install <device path>

will install it to the MBR of that drive.
h++(-) r y+
Old 13th April 2011, 08:41 AM   #157
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Mount gives me this:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount
aufs on / type aufs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
/dev/sr1 on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/ubuntu/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ubuntu)
/dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1 on /media/9ce176d0-f6e5-4bd7-ab8b-aeda57a9228e type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)

Information overload heh. Thanks for the help, guys. I really do appreciate it. Sorry to be such a bother!
Old 13th April 2011, 08:42 AM   #158
Mister Earl
Illuminator

So I'm guessing sudo grub-install /media/9ce176d0-f6e5-4bd7-ab8b-aeda57a9228e.

#EDIT: Which gives me this:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /media/9ce176d0-f6e5-4bd7-ab8b-aeda57a9228e
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

Last edited by Mister Earl; 13th April 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:48 AM   #159
tuoni
Critical Thinker

So I'm guessing sudo grub-install /media/9ce176d0-f6e5-4bd7-ab8b-aeda57a9228e.

#EDIT: Which gives me this:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /media/9ce176d0-f6e5-4bd7-ab8b-aeda57a9228e
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1

(/dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1 would be your RAID setup)
h++(-) r y+
Old 13th April 2011, 08:50 AM   #160
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Crud. I think I'm gonna need to divine what the su password is supposed to be. Got this error:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
rm: cannot remove `/boot/grub/915resolution.mod': Permission denied

#EDIT: Ok, managed to change the pass and login as root. Still got an error...
root@ubuntu:~# grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1

Last edited by Mister Earl; 13th April 2011 at 08:53 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet