IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dreams , earthquakes , Japan earthquake , predictions

Reply
Old 11th March 2011, 09:19 AM   #1
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 262
Exclamation Person Accurately predicts Japan Earthquake on Forum

I wanted to share this; a month ago a person dreams very detailed information related to the Japan quake. It's timestamped in a forum.

More details and predictions on my blog related to Japan.
http://youaredreaming.org/2011/03/11...an-earthquake/

Here is his prediction:
“Last night, I had a brief dream in which I saw a map of the USGS world view (which I do check on and off)

On it I saw a LARGE RED sqaure surrounded by many other smaller squares just of the east coast of Japan. The thing was this square was much larger than the normal size square USGS put up for a 7+”


Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread660276/pg1




Here is a snapshot of the USGS as per his dream as described.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Lisa Simpson
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,349
Predicting a major earthquake on the ring of fire is like predicting the sun will rise in the east. Not impressive.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
truethat
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,389
Yeah I was gonna say. That's like me saying I predict a large amount of pollution is going to show up off the coast of NYC.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:28 AM   #4
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Unless that is only a snippet, i don't see a date for the prediction.

That is no more amazing than me saying that there will be a gang related murder in detroit.

It is guaranteed it is going to happen, thereby not making it a prediction without a specific date.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:31 AM   #5
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 262
This wasn't a prediction, rather a dream the person had and it concerned him because the details indicated a larger then 7+ quake off the east coast of Japan.

His dream clearly details the USGS image in this thread as well as the magnitude and location of the Quake.

In no way was this person claiming this was going to happen rather just shared this dream concerned about the information he saw.

The fact it happens fits within a J. W Dunne classic example of a precognitive dream.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:33 AM   #6
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell
 
dasmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Well past Hither, looking for Yon
Posts: 6,359
And the person in question described it further as
Quote:
The square in red (meaning it was within the last hour) was HUGE, covering most of mainland Japan. and stuck out like a angry spot on the map dwarfing all others around.
In the picture that you included, would you say that the red square covers most of mainland Japan?
__________________
"In times of war, we need warriors. But this isn't a war." - Phil Plaitt
dasmiller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Lisa Simpson
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,349
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
This wasn't a prediction, rather a dream the person had and it concerned him because the details indicated a larger then 7+ quake off the east coast of Japan.

His dream clearly details the USGS image in this thread as well as the magnitude and location of the Quake.

In no way was this person claiming this was going to happen rather just shared this dream concerned about the information he saw.

The fact it happens fits within a J. W Dunne classic example of a precognitive dream.
No. Having a dream about a major earthquake on the ring of fire is still not precognitive. We get earthquakes here. We get a lot of them. They can be very big. Unless his dream told him the day and place, it's just a dream about an earthquake.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:37 AM   #8
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
And the person in question described it further as


In the picture that you included, would you say that the red square covers most of mainland Japan?
Quite often people have issues with reading text in dreams. Dreams can exaggerate certain details and this largely can be due to how information renders within the context of dreaming.

Certainly, the detail can be exaggerated but it still fits within the context of this event. His subconscious could have put emphasis on this square to give it the importance and urgency which then prompted him to just share this odd dream on a forum.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:39 AM   #9
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
This wasn't a prediction, rather a dream the person had and it concerned him because the details indicated a larger then 7+ quake off the east coast of Japan.

His dream clearly details the USGS image in this thread as well as the magnitude and location of the Quake.

In no way was this person claiming this was going to happen rather just shared this dream concerned about the information he saw.

The fact it happens fits within a J. W Dunne classic example of a precognitive dream.
Of , come on. when you post something with the intent of coming back to it later, you are making a prediction.

I hate this technique that people such as yourself use, post someone else's jab at a superpower, then act as if they wern't trying to say they had one. Come off it man.

Without a date, it means nothing, one could say this with all kinds of stuff, and be guaranteed to be right eventually. Here is a list of a dozen, pretend i said i had a dream about them if it makes you feel better.

Someone in new york will be killed with an edged weapon.

Someone in the sports profession will be accused of having sex with someone underage.

A major religious leader will be found to be a homosexual.

An actor , around age 30, will die prematurely.

A long running cartoon will end.

Ford will recall certain models of cars due to safety issues.

there will be an article about a popular food causing adverse health effects.

A life long smoker will live to age 90.

There will be a ground war somewhere in the middle east.

A popular musician will change the genre he writes music for.

A less than popular musician will make the move to acting.

Coke will introduce a new flavor, specifically one blended with a fruit.

And without dates, all of those are guaranteed to happen. So please stop trying to present this as if it was anything other than a sure bet.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:42 AM   #10
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
No. Having a dream about a major earthquake on the ring of fire is still not precognitive. We get earthquakes here. We get a lot of them. They can be very big. Unless his dream told him the day and place, it's just a dream about an earthquake.
It's a specific dream about a larger then 7+ magnitude quake on the east coast of Japan; not just a dream about a random earthquake. We have magnitude also and one that links to a major world event.

Also another person on that forum predicted the same 8+ magnitude quake on Japan on March 17, 2010 and that link is here.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread552608/pg1

“Where will the next 8 magnitude or above earthquake occur,” and kept my mind open. No thoughts came at first, but then “Japan” popped into my mind. I asked the same question again. And again, after a brief period, the same word came back into my mind: Japan.

And then I asked, “when will this occur, what date?” A pause, and then all that came into my mind was “March”.

He then guesses about the 17th but is unsure on that day specifically. 11 could look like 17 as we know text is hard to read.

Last edited by YouAreDreaming; 11th March 2011 at 09:43 AM.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:43 AM   #11
23_Tauri
Illuminator
 
23_Tauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,927
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
This wasn't a prediction, rather a dream the person had and it concerned him because the details indicated a larger then 7+ quake off the east coast of Japan.
Still not impressive. A +7 earthquake hits Japans every 2-3 years:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...al_country.php

Quote:
His dream clearly details the USGS image in this thread as well as the magnitude and location of the Quake.
Still not impressive. If a quake hits Japan, the epicentre is likely to be on the east side, because that's where the trenches are (the points where tectonic plates meet):


Quote:
In no way was this person claiming this was going to happen rather just shared this dream concerned about the information he saw. The fact it happens fits within a J. W Dunne classic example of a precognitive dream.
Ah, it's just you that believes it's an example of paranormal powers. Uh huh.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:45 AM   #12
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
It's a specific dream about a larger then 7+ magnitude quake on the east coast of Japan; not just a dream about a random earthquake. We have magnitude also and one that links to a major world event.

Also another person on that forum predicted the same 8+ magnitude quake on Japan on March 17, 2010 and that link is here.

“Where will the next 8 magnitude or above earthquake occur,” and kept my mind open. No thoughts came at first, but then “Japan” popped into my mind. I asked the same question again. And again, after a brief period, the same word came back into my mind: Japan.

And then I asked, “when will this occur, what date?” A pause, and then all that came into my mind was “March”.

He then guesses about the 17th but is unsure on that day specifically. 11 could look like 17 as we know text is hard to read here.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread552608/pg1
Again, without a specific date, there is nothing to this. My 12 predictions will come true, just as sure as their predictions.

What about this do you not understand, i would be happy to explain it to you.

Heck, even highly unlikely events will eventually happen if you don't give a date man, your being easily duped, or your putting us on.

So which is it, do you need to do some major research on critical thinking, or are you having a laugh?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:49 AM   #13
23_Tauri
Illuminator
 
23_Tauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,927
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Again, without a specific date, there is nothing to this. My 12 predictions will come true, just as sure as their predictions.
It's a good list. Did you think them all up yourself?

Quote:
Heck, even highly unlikely events will eventually happen if you don't give a date man, your being easily duped, or your putting us on.
Men will walk on the moon! Other men will swear blind it didn't happen even though thousands of people were involved in the project and millions more saw it happen live on television.

Oh yeah, and someone will invent televison so that millions of people can watch a man walk on the moon.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:50 AM   #14
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,134
Francis Bacon:
"The human understanding when it has once adopted an opinion (either as being the received opinion or as being agreeable to itself) draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate. And therefore it was a good answer that was made by one who when they showed him hanging in a temple a picture of those who had paid their vows as having escaped shipwreck, and would have him say whether he did not now acknowledge the power of the gods,-"Aye," asked he again, "but where are they painted that were drowned, after their vows?" And such is the way of all superstition, whether in astrology, dreams, omens, divine judgments, or the like; wherein men, having a delight in such vanities, mark the events where they are fulfilled, but where they fail, though this happen much oftener, neglect and pass them by."

With the advent of the Internet we have had a such great number people publishing their dreams and predictions that you would expect some of them to be right and then to be upheld as proof of prophesy.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:50 AM   #15
icerat
Philosopher
 
icerat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,547
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
It's a specific dream about a larger then 7+ magnitude quake on the east coast of Japan; not just a dream about a random earthquake. We have magnitude also and one that links to a major world event.
Except the "seer" first claimed it as a successful prediction of the 7.3 quake a few days ago. Then updated it as a successful prediction of today's 8.9 - what's that, nearly 100 times more powerful?

Pretty broad range for an "accurate" magnitude prediction, don't you think? Pick a day, any day, pick a magnitude, any magnitude?

If there's a bigger quake in the next few weeks will his prediction then be for that quake?

I live in Stockholm, Sweden. I hearby predict that next January, Stockholm will be hit by a snowstorm.

You heard it here first!
__________________
Benford's law of controversy - Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available
icerat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:51 AM   #16
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,779
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
It's a specific dream about a larger then 7+ magnitude quake on the east coast of Japan; not just a dream about a random earthquake. We have magnitude also and one that links to a major world event.
Well, the earthquake in Japan was of 8.9 magnitude, so it was around 200 times more powerful than a 7 on the Richter Scale.

So a guy had a dream about a map he looks at sometimes.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 09:51 AM   #17
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by 23_Tauri View Post
It's a good list. Did you think them all up yourself?


Men will walk on the moon! Other men will swear blind it didn't happen even though thousands of people were involved in the project and millions more saw it happen live on television.

Oh yeah, and someone will invent televison so that millions of people can watch a man walk on the moon.
Not only did i come up with it, but while in a pharmacology class and absorbing the information, lol.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Arouet
Thinker
 
Arouet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Not only did i come up with it, but while in a pharmacology class and absorbing the information, lol.
evidence?
__________________
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire
Arouet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:02 AM   #19
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by Arouet View Post
evidence?
The fact that i am not eating lunch in a bit because of pictures of gout and athletes foot? lol. I assure you i can set up a video of me not eating lunch.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:07 AM   #20
Hitch
Muse
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 834
Wouldn't it be useful if someone could vaguely predict hurricanes tracking towards the eastern seaboard of the United States in late summer or early fall?
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:22 AM   #21
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,421
Should we be suspicious about the editing and the story behind the editing?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:23 AM   #22
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Should we be suspicious about the editing and the story behind the editing?
If the statement starts with " should we be suspicious" and the topic is the things the op has mentioned, the answer will be yes.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:25 AM   #23
Ersby
Fortean
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,881
This guy who made the prediction seems to be saying it'll happen on the day he was posting. As for reading text - he doesn't say that at all. He says the information popped into his head.

Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
Also another person on that forum predicted the same 8+ magnitude quake on Japan on March 17, 2010 and that link is here.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread552608/pg1

“Where will the next 8 magnitude or above earthquake occur,” and kept my mind open. No thoughts came at first, but then “Japan” popped into my mind. I asked the same question again. And again, after a brief period, the same word came back into my mind: Japan.

And then I asked, “when will this occur, what date?” A pause, and then all that came into my mind was “March”.

He then guesses about the 17th but is unsure on that day specifically. 11 could look like 17 as we know text is hard to read.
__________________
"Once a man admits complete and unshakeable faith in his own integrity, he is in an excellent frame of mind to be approached by con men." David W. Maurer, "The Big Con"
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:26 AM   #24
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 262
Wink

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Should we be suspicious about the editing and the story behind the editing?
edit on 7/2/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

He edited the post on the same day of the post. After 24 hours on that forum he can no longer edit his post. The edit is time stamped same day as the post. You can be suspicious of this edit. I'm not too concerned.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:28 AM   #25
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
edit on 7/2/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

He edited the post on the same day of the post. After 24 hours on that forum he can no longer edit his post. The edit is time stamped same day as the post. You can be suspicious of this edit. I'm not too concerned.
Gee, not suspicious of an edit to a paranormal claim. Knock me over with a feather.

Of course if you disregard every bit of evidence to the contrary this stuff seems legit.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:32 AM   #26
Ersby
Fortean
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,881
As for the prediction from February, if you want an example of how common earthquakes are in Japan, just look on the first page of the thread - the predicition was "validated" after there was an earthquake south of Japan on the 9th!

Quote:
reply posted on 9-3-2011 @ 09:29 AM by JakiusFogg
Can I claim prophetic success now??

Or is it just synchronicity!

Maybe I am the new WEBBOT!, you know, but human!
usgs
edit on 9/3/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)
__________________
"Once a man admits complete and unshakeable faith in his own integrity, he is in an excellent frame of mind to be approached by con men." David W. Maurer, "The Big Con"
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:33 AM   #27
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell
 
dasmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Well past Hither, looking for Yon
Posts: 6,359
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
Quite often people have issues with reading text in dreams. Dreams can exaggerate certain details and this largely can be due to how information renders within the context of dreaming.
Neither your quote nor mine mentioned any text in the dream. I think you're mixing up my post with another.

Quote:
Certainly, the detail can be exaggerated but it still fits within the context of this event. His subconscious could have put emphasis on this square to give it the importance and urgency which then prompted him to just share this odd dream on a forum.
You'd said
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
Here is a snapshot of the USGS as per his dream as described.
I'm (hopefully) making the point that his description is, in fact, substantially different than the snapshot you provided.
__________________
"In times of war, we need warriors. But this isn't a war." - Phil Plaitt
dasmiller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:38 AM   #28
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Gee, not suspicious of an edit to a paranormal claim. Knock me over with a feather.

Of course if you disregard every bit of evidence to the contrary this stuff seems legit.
If it's such an issue of concern, the edit. It's on February 7th, 2011 and this event happened March 11, 2011. Why this becomes an issue is really irrelevant as the content of the post hasn't changed since that date. Nor could the poster change it if he wanted to as the forum locks threads after 24 hours.

Is this definitive evidence of precognitive dreams? No. Can we say if it is or is not a precognitive dream based on the context? It certainly fits within the description of what precognitive dreams are, so that is plausible.

Are precognitive dreams real? This really is a matter of science and technology to prove.

President Abraham Lincoln, weeks before his assassination, dreamt of his death. Author Mark Twain had a dream involving the death of his brother Henry weeks before Henry would die in a riverboat accident with remarkable and uncanny detail in regards to the funeral that followed. British painter David Mandell dreamed three times of planes crashing into the twin towers. In 1996, he painted a picture of such a dream and had it timestamped in a photograph using his bank's clock for reference. German actress Christine Mylius[1] would send her dreams to Professor Bender at the Institute for Border-line areas of Psychology for archiving. When she would have a dream come true, they would reference it in the archives. Irish aeronautical engineer J. W. Dunne[2] would keep a detailed account of his dreams and using the Scientific Method would investigate his own precognitive dreams.

This is a small sampling of cases of precognitive dreams in our Historical Record.
[source]
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:44 AM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 24,134
Where are those dreams posted that were not fulfilled?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:49 AM   #30
RobRoy
Not A Mormon
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the sandbox
Posts: 14,256
Here’s what I like about this: while it could be indicative of precognitive dreaming (rather than just being consciously or subconscious concerned about earthquakes in an earthquake prone area), without a time-date stamp on the dream what use is this? Retroactively, our “seer” is claiming both a 7.3 earthquake and now the much larger magnitude 8.9 earthquake, so what good is that?

On the other hand, we have another “seer” who predicted an 8+ magnitude earthquake, received the Japan and “sometime” in March as the response. Sure, the dates were confused or confusing, but the generals were almost remotely correct, so hey, chalk it up to a victory for the believers?

Are you kidding me?

Specifics don’t matter to the “seers”, but they certainly matter to the hundreds of people who lost their lives, and the thousands who lost loved-ones, property, pets, etc., not to mention the government and insurance companies which will now be diverting millions of dollars to saving more lives, recovery efforts, and rebuilding. All this loss of time, effort, money and lives, did either of these individuals do anything to actively pre-empt these tragedies? Did they contact the Japanese government, or the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, or the Japan Meteorological Agency? What did they do with their impressive powers of precognition to save lives or prevent disaster from striking? If they truly believed themselves to be seers, why weren’t they howling to the moon, warning everyone and everything about what was going to occur?

On the flip side, Japan has been doing plenty within its power to prevent such a disaster from doing more damage than it has done. Knowing that they were going to be hit by a killer earthquake given similar historic events and scientific predictive tools, they utilized that information to set up one of the best seismic predictors in the world, tied into nearly a thousand seismometers. When all the lights started flashing and the buzzers sounded, they were able to give their citizens about a minute of warning via radio, television and any other available media so that those people could take proper precautions within that time.

Even if thousands of psychics, seers, dreamers, etc. all had this information, it seems not one of them used it to try to help the citizens of Japan. On the other hand, all the science and technology in the world was bent toward mitigating just such a major disaster as best as possible.

It seems to me, as a betting man, I’d bet on science to trump psychics seeking personal glory in the "I Told You So" category.
__________________
Logic is what man stoops to when absurdity and surrealism has failed. It's shameful. – whatthebutlersaw
Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim.
Like my post? Buy my books!

Now taking bets on the Clinton Indictment!

Last edited by RobRoy; 11th March 2011 at 11:21 AM.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:50 AM   #31
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
If it's such an issue of concern, the edit. It's on February 7th, 2011 and this event happened March 11, 2011. Why this becomes an issue is really irrelevant as the content of the post hasn't changed since that date. Nor could the poster change it if he wanted to as the forum locks threads after 24 hours.

Is this definitive evidence of precognitive dreams? No. Can we say if it is or is not a precognitive dream based on the context? It certainly fits within the description of what precognitive dreams are, so that is plausible.

Are precognitive dreams real? This really is a matter of science and technology to prove.

President Abraham Lincoln, weeks before his assassination, dreamt of his death. Author Mark Twain had a dream involving the death of his brother Henry weeks before Henry would die in a riverboat accident with remarkable and uncanny detail in regards to the funeral that followed. British painter David Mandell dreamed three times of planes crashing into the twin towers. In 1996, he painted a picture of such a dream and had it timestamped in a photograph using his bank's clock for reference. German actress Christine Mylius[1] would send her dreams to Professor Bender at the Institute for Border-line areas of Psychology for archiving. When she would have a dream come true, they would reference it in the archives. Irish aeronautical engineer J. W. Dunne[2] would keep a detailed account of his dreams and using the Scientific Method would investigate his own precognitive dreams.

This is a small sampling of cases of precognitive dreams in our Historical Record.
[source]
Wrong again, we cannot say this is a phophetic anything because it had no specific date. He said something likely to happen in an area would happen, and it did, gigantic shock.

You must have a relation to neo for all the dodging of how easy it is to make a claim like that your doing.

Pretend i said i dreamed all my predictions. I now have 12 points of evidence that i have " prophetic dreams." as i can assure you, that without a date, all of these will happen.

Heck i could even give a day and month ( or if your willing to extend to me the courtasy of saying ' around' a range of dates. ) and still be guaranteed it will happen. In a long enough time frame, any reasonable event ( and some unreasonable ones.) will happen, stop avoiding this basic premise.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:51 AM   #32
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist
 
aggle-rithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 15,334
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
Are precognitive dreams real? This really is a matter of science and technology to prove.
More accurately, it is a matter for the CLAIMANTS to prove, USING science and technology.

The trouble is that science and technology are learning more and more about dreaming all the time, and it doesn't appear to have anything to do with precognition.
__________________
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 10:53 AM   #33
Lisa Simpson
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,349
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Where are those dreams posted that were not fulfilled?
I once had a dream that Darth Vader was chasing me through the mall. It hasn't happened.























Yet.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 11:02 AM   #34
Stray Cat
Philosopher
 
Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,829
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
Is this definitive evidence of precognitive dreams? No. Can we say if it is or is not a precognitive dream based on the context? It certainly fits within the description of what precognitive dreams are, so that is plausible.
So a precognitive dream is when someone dreams about something that happens all the time?

How do you know this person's dream wasn't about the last time it happened and not the next time it will happen?

Seeing into the past is not particularly clever.
__________________
It's only my madness that stops me from going insane!

Last edited by Stray Cat; 11th March 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Stray Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 11:11 AM   #35
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell
 
dasmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Well past Hither, looking for Yon
Posts: 6,359
Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
I once had a dream that Darth Vader was chasing me through the mall. It hasn't happened.

Yet.
Don't be so sure. If Vader can do the memory-erase thing like Men In Black, then he'd surely have erased your memory after he caught you.

So your complete lack of the memory of the actual event suggests that it did, in fact, happen, and therefore your dream was precognitive.
__________________
"In times of war, we need warriors. But this isn't a war." - Phil Plaitt
dasmiller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 11:15 AM   #36
Hitch
Muse
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Don't be so sure. If Vader can do the memory-erase thing like Men In Black, then he'd surely have erased your memory after he caught you.

So your complete lack of the memory of the actual event suggests that it did, in fact, happen, and therefore your dream was precognitive.
You mean Lisa Simpson really is a secret agent on a mission to Mars?
Hitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 11:17 AM   #37
RobRoy
Not A Mormon
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the sandbox
Posts: 14,256
Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
Seeing into the past is not particularly clever.
Not to fling fuel on the psychic fire, but being able to see into the past would actually be a very useful tool for answering questions both major and minor. Want to know if Jesus actually lived, let alone turned water into wine, healed the sick, or rose from the dead? How about the numbers and dispositions of troops at Agincourt? Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried? Do Balrogs have wings?

Heck, Orson Scott Card wrote an entire book on the concept and potential implications: Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. Not a great book, but still, a book using the concept in an interesting way.
__________________
Logic is what man stoops to when absurdity and surrealism has failed. It's shameful. – whatthebutlersaw
Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim.
Like my post? Buy my books!

Now taking bets on the Clinton Indictment!

Last edited by RobRoy; 11th March 2011 at 11:20 AM.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 11:20 AM   #38
RobRoy
Not A Mormon
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the sandbox
Posts: 14,256
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You mean Lisa Simpson really is a secret agent on a mission tofrom Mars?
Ftfy.
__________________
Logic is what man stoops to when absurdity and surrealism has failed. It's shameful. – whatthebutlersaw
Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim.
Like my post? Buy my books!

Now taking bets on the Clinton Indictment!
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 11:21 AM   #39
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,744
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
I wanted to share this; a month ago a person dreams very detailed information related to the Japan quake.
Very detailed? Here are the details.

Really big earthquake (>7) off East coast of Japan.
Covers most of mainland.

The first part is a statistical certainty. The second part doesn't match.

Wow. That's... not at all impressive.

Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
Also another person on that forum predicted the same 8+ magnitude quake on Japan on March 17, 2010 and that link is here.
Wow! Only 371 days off! That's incredible!

Hey, YAD? Remember last time you were here and you spammed the forums with your journal entries and then refused to respond to posts and disappeared? That was awesome.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2011, 11:22 AM   #40
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
I'm (hopefully) making the point that his description is, in fact, substantially different than the snapshot you provided.
The description you are citing occurs after the dream is posted. We have two descriptions:

On it I saw a LARGE RED sqaure surrounded by many other smaller squares just of the east coast of Japan. The thing was this square was much larger than the normal size square USGS put up for a 7+

Then we have a subsequent post where he is in awe at the image in the dream and says:
The square in red (meaning it was within the last hour) was HUGE, covering most of mainland Japan. and stuck out like a angry spot on the map dwarfing all others around.

There is the issue of the Tsunami and how this may translate into the context of dream perception. Technical information in dreams are very difficult to perceive and that is self-evident to anyone who tries to read. Not only that dreams do exaggerate details and can add also add extra details.

I'm not ignoring the second post where he talks about the size and magnitude of the square; it sounds like it's 200x larger then the 7+ square and the dream can easily scale that up to create emphasis on that detail.

There is a very deep psychological model that needs to be understood in how perception, memory and awareness factor into precognitive dreams.

If we look face value at the month old dream. It predicts a larger then 7+ magnitude quake off the east coast of Japan and he does describe the USGS in his first post accurately.

The contradiction is in the follow up post. Perhaps he is exaggerating the details here as he does seem quite taken back that he had the dream to begin with. Literal technical details are hard to perceive in dreams and can explain details that are technical in nature as being exaggerated or distorted.

All of this doesn't disprove that he did not in fact dream of a massive scale magnitude quake relative to Japan off the east coast. 8.9 quakes are not common and everyday events. Only 5 in this century.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.