ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Japan earthquake , Japan incidents , nuclear power issues

Old 14th March 2011, 11:51 AM   #321
excaza
Illuminator

It's a shame, this will probably set US nuclear back another 20 years
Old 14th March 2011, 11:52 AM   #322
Skwinty
Philosopher

I have not seen this map until now.

When Chernobyl exploded, Cs 137 from the event was detected by the Environmental Survey Lab where I work within a week or two.

This Cs 137 spike was attributed to the Chernobyl incident.

Of course Chernobyl and Fukushima are totally and absolutely different kettles of fish.

What is reality? Nothing but a collective hunch.
--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 11:52 AM   #323
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12733393

Ugh. It's such a shame the BBC is so hell-bent on this. One choice gem:

Quote:
But as with the first explosion, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) said the thick containment walls shielding the reactor cores remained intact. It also said radiation levels outside were still within legal limits.

'Not optimistic'
What wonderful juxtaposition.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 11:53 AM   #324
excaza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
but if the core melts, won't it spew highly radioactive crap into the air..for days?
It will spew highly radioactive crap into the air if godzilla rips the roof off of the core too.

Instead of playing 'what if' games, one should play the 'how likely is' game instead. There's a containment area for a reason.

Last edited by excaza; 14th March 2011 at 11:54 AM.
excaza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 11:53 AM   #325
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

but if the core melts, won't it spew highly radioactive crap into the air..for days?
No.

Not unless you imagine a nuclear core inside a perfectly working containment area is exposed to the open air, at any rate.

MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 11:55 AM   #326
Skwinty
Philosopher

Not if the pressure vessel and concrete containment are intact and North Korea abstains from testing a nuclear bomb at Fukushima.

--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 11:56 AM   #327
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Was this a serious question?
Old 14th March 2011, 11:57 AM   #328
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Was this a serious question?
yup
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 12:00 PM   #329
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by Skwinty View Post
Not if the pressure vessel and concrete containment are intact and North Korea abstains from testing a nuclear bomb at Fukushima.
ok, good to know.

so even if the core melts, we can still be ok?

that's good to know.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 12:02 PM   #330
Skwinty
Philosopher

ok, good to know.

that's good to know.
I suspect that the cores have melted substantially already, so you need not worry any further.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 14th March 2011, 12:04 PM   #331
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

ok, good to know.

that's good to know.
TMI melted. Melted a lot more badly than anybody thought at the time, too.

All of it was still inside the reactor.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:06 PM   #332
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

No. If the core melts, it will sit as a nasty puddle of goo in the bottom of the containment vessel until it is cleaned up.

Bottom Line: As long as the containment vessel holds, which it appears to be doing quite well, then no substantial radioactivity will escape into the environment.

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 14th March 2011 at 12:18 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 12:06 PM   #333
Hamradioguy
Pyrrhonist

I am astonished by how little critical thinking there is among the press. (You'd expect it for the general public of course.) Maybe I'm a bit prejudiced: I'm a retired Health Physicist and worked for years in the radiological protection field. (Primarily nuclear attack but with a fair amount of nuclear plant emergency response work.) But with all the good credible sources available on-line, both the public and news outlets are still doing a lot of fear mongering. Sadly, nothing new: The "most trusted news source in journalism" Walter Cronkite, mentioned in a broadcast that radiation was detected penetrating the 3ft thick TMI containment shell. Experts knew better of course, but you can imagine the panic among the public when they thought how bad radiation levels must be to go through three feet of concrete. I'm not sure the press has learned much in the ensuing quarter century.
Hamradioguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 12:08 PM   #334
excaza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hamradioguy View Post
I am astonished by how little critical thinking there is among the press.
I'm not. Critical thinking seems to be declining in the press as years pass. Either that or I'm just noticing it more as I get older (I'm only 22).
Old 14th March 2011, 12:10 PM   #335
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Yes. Core meltdown does not result in a nuclear explosion.

The real world is a bit different from Civilization II in this respect.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:18 PM   #336
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

ok, good to know.

so even if the core melts, we can WILL still be ok? !!!

that's good to know.
Ftfy, Thunder.

Take some deep breaths, pal. It'll be okay.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:19 PM   #337
BobTheDonkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by technoextreme View Post
Having actually worked with industrial equipment I'm calling ********. There is no *********** plug on those generators.

Head hurts immensely. That is a horribly stupid idea that has a good chance of completely destroying the cooling system.
Agreed (with the 2nd part).

WRT the plug, it's not entirely uncommon for mobile generators to have a plug for hooking up to a building (or aircraft, as the case may be). Chances are,however, that if the plug didn't fit it's because the generators weren't set up to produce the "right" kind of power. Which would by why the generators weren't just hardwired in. That's my initial impression and completely unsupported by anything other than my own personal experience working in an industrial/electrical/aircraft maintenance field.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:20 PM   #338
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Reading the Wikipedia page on Chernobyl, they mention a recent study that mentions "985,000" deaths resulting from the incident.

Isn't that like 100 times more than liberal estimates used to say ? Is that even possible ?
That is a BS number. I encourage you to research the real number and fix that entry (with proper citations and etc.)
Old 14th March 2011, 12:22 PM   #339
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
Ftfy, Thunder.

Take some deep breaths, pal. It'll be okay.
its just a lot to take in, seeing two nuclear plant cooling towers blow up like in a Hollywood action flick.

Old 14th March 2011, 12:23 PM   #340
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

its just a lot to take in, seeing two nuclear plant cooling towers blow up like in a Hollywood action flick.

Actually what blew off was mostly the metal skin of the building built on top of the containment.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:29 PM   #341
Skwinty
Philosopher

No cooling towers were involved.

What you saw blowing up was the panel walls that shielded the crane and the crane operator.

See page 16 of the pdf. The mark 1 BWR building.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 14th March 2011, 12:33 PM   #342
OMGturt1es
Muse

Quote:
Officials were clearly struggling to keep ahead of the crisis and prevent a worst case scenario: a complete reactor meltdown.

In that case, the uranium core melts through the outer containment shell, releasing a wave of radiation and resulting in major, widespread health problems.
From a local paper: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/14/347...#ixzz1GbVU4nDn

My understanding is that this isn't really possible, but I'm not a nuclear engineer. Many here seem far more knowledgable than I. Is this even possible? If so, how likely?
Old 14th March 2011, 12:37 PM   #343
Skwinty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by OMGturt1es View Post
Is this even possible? If so, how likely?

If they ignored the cooling system failure and made no attempt to flood cool the pressure vessel then it is possible for the heat generated by the melting fuel to melt the steel pressure vessel.

Of course no responsible power utility would ignore the cooling requirements, so not possible.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 14th March 2011, 12:42 PM   #344
technoextreme
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheDonkey View Post
WRT the plug, it's not entirely uncommon for mobile generators to have a plug for hooking up to a building (or aircraft, as the case may be). Chances are,however, that if the plug didn't fit it's because the generators weren't set up to produce the "right" kind of power. Which would by why the generators weren't just hardwired in. That's my initial impression and completely unsupported by anything other than my own personal experience working in an industrial/electrical/aircraft maintenance field.
I would agree with that but that would imply some inept stupidity on the part of someone.
It's amazing how many of these "paranormal" icons seem to merge together. There always seem to be theories about how they link together in some way. I'm sure someone has a very good explanation as to how Bigfoot killed JFK to help cover Roswell.-Mark Mekes
This isn't rocket surgery.-Bill Nye
technoextreme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 12:45 PM   #345
BobTheDonkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by technoextreme View Post
I would agree with that but that would imply some inept stupidity on the part of someone.

I can see the conversation going:

"Do you have portable generators? Get them here ricky-quick."

when it should have been:

"Do you have portable generators? What power do they output? Well, **** me, do you know anyone else that's open that does? No, the plant has no power and no cooling, have to find a generator or we're **********. You don't know of anyone else? Alright, thanks. Bye."

10-15s later, after finding the next entry in the yellow pages:

"Do you have portable generators? What power do they output?..."
Old 14th March 2011, 01:00 PM   #346
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
That is a BS number. I encourage you to research the real number and fix that entry (with proper citations and etc.)
I'm not very knowledgeable about which sources to look for in this instance. They say it comes from the New York Academy of Sciences. Are they reliable but misquoted ? Or what ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 01:02 PM   #347
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

So, even newspapers get their nuclear power info from Sid Meier.
Old 14th March 2011, 01:04 PM   #348
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post

Yes, things can go wrong. Horribly wrong beyond our wildest dreams and way more wrong than we ever anticipated. Then, things would get really bad. But before I start worrying about that I should spend a lot of time planning my finances for the time when I will hit the lottery jackpot 5 times in a row ...
People are busy browning themselves on the news channels about the 30 year old nuke plants in the USA, particularly the ones in California. A calmer head said that someone's bound to take a page from Japan's book and tighten the girding under them.

Looking at the before and after maps of Japan, the nuke plants are some of the better looking real estate post quake.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 01:07 PM   #349
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
Looking at the before and after maps of Japan, the nuke plants are some of the better looking real estate post quake.
This point needs to be continually emphasized. The bottom line is these plants were built to be very, very tough, and they held up under the worst conditions when pretty much everything else was laid waste.
Old 14th March 2011, 01:11 PM   #350
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable about which sources to look for in this instance. They say it comes from the New York Academy of Sciences. Are they reliable but misquoted ? Or what ?
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../en/index.html

Not sure reading this if the estimate is 4000 or 8000 as they mention 4000 twice and I am not clear if they mean the same group...

See also;

http://www.magma.ca/~jalrober/Howbad.htm
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/chernobyl/inf07.html

NOWHERE near the number you say the Wiki article has.

I am utterly snowed-in with work today or I would fix this stupidity.
Old 14th March 2011, 01:13 PM   #351
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Yes, but until Chernobyl that was also true for all the nuclear power plants, wasn't it? And until last week the Japanese plants were quake safe, too ...
No one gave a rat's backside about Japanese nuke plants two weeks ago!

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 01:13 PM   #352
Ranb
Philosopher

The media generally sounds more juvenile when discussing nuclear power than they do guns. I did not think it was possible, but I was wrong. My wife was asking about what she heard on the news. I assured her that while the overheating and subsequent use of seawater to cool the reactor cores ruined them, I was in no danger if the shipyard sent me to Japan to remediate any US ships involved.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 01:15 PM   #353
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Apparently the British expert on the BBC warned of meltdown causing a leak.

Old 14th March 2011, 01:20 PM   #354
Thunder
Banned

why don't they just dump a few million cubic yards of concrete onto all 4 cores?
Old 14th March 2011, 01:29 PM   #355
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
The media generally sounds more juvenile when discussing nuclear power than they do guns.
It seems like many of the journalists writing/talking about this are environment correspondents (like the BBC guy doing the analysis here). What you'd want is a technical correspondent, but I suppose they're few and far between -- most journalists these days seem to have degrees in journalism and social sciences, and their technological and scientific illiteracy is just as bad as that of Joe Average.
Old 14th March 2011, 01:48 PM   #356
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Apparently it was some expert on nuclear power. I didn't actually see who it was, so I can't give a name, sadly.

Old 14th March 2011, 01:53 PM   #357
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Architect View Post
I was speaking to a former design engineer who was part of the team working on the British nuclear programme in the 1980s and he is resolute that this (i.e. the power stations) is a commercial rather than environmental disaster. I think his phrase was "expensive pile of slag".
I bet they had quake insurance!

Hiding from the
Old 14th March 2011, 02:02 PM   #358
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

The problem with the press is not a lack of critical thinking. They know damned well what is really going on. They also know that so long as they keep people scared of nuclear Armageddon they will keep watching. Ratings take precedence over facts.
Old 14th March 2011, 02:05 PM   #359
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by excaza View Post
It's a shame, this will probably set US nuclear back another 20 years
People fear high prices more than high fallout.

Hiding from the
Old 14th March 2011, 02:29 PM   #360
LoudHoward
Student

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
I bet they had quake insurance!
Unfortunately, the insurance won't be paid out as the damage wasn't from the quake but from the tsunami (obviously unrelated)! They only took out the low level drain overflow insurance as I understand it
LoudHoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events