ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd March 2011, 06:42 PM   #1
steve s
Illuminator

Planet Green decides to go the paranormal route.

I was watching the Science Channel and an ad for the Planet Green channel came up. From now on Friday nights are "Freaky Fridays" with paranormal shows all night long. The ad had a woman saying "Our house was designed to kill us." Then you see the usual nonsense like blood seeping out of walls and someone in a chair levitating off the floor.

I no longer get Planet Green now that I don't have Charter Cable any more. But I would occasionally watch it. Some of the shows about the latest green tech were pretty good. Some of the shows dabbled in woo with hippy-dippy types communing with the environment. But now they've decided to jump into the paranormal deep end. The desire for quick and easy bucks was just too great. How long before the Science Channel gives in to temptation?

Steve S
Old 22nd March 2011, 07:27 PM   #2
shandyjan
Master Poster

Many of the channels have gone over to the dark side. It is a bandwagon that isn't showing signs of dying yet.
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:52 PM   #3
steve s
Illuminator

This evening I saw an ad for a show on the Biography channel featuring celebrities talking about their experiences with ghosts. Scott Baio says something like "I'm not a whacko Hollywood type..." And there's a graphic that says "They were skeptics." Ugh. It's the usual nonsense "I can't explain it therefore it must have been something paranormal."

Fortunately this evening Nova had a couple of wonderful shows about the development of the telescope. It's a shame that more people don't find that type of show more interesting than the woo shows.

Steve S
Old 24th March 2011, 01:22 PM   #4
ScannerHead
Scholar

Originally Posted by shandyjan View Post
Many of the channels have gone over to the dark side. It is a bandwagon that isn't showing signs of dying yet.
Good grief. It's just entertainment. Quit taking it so seriously.
ScannerHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ScannerHead View Post
Good grief. It's just entertainment. Quit taking it so seriously.
If by entertainment you mean crap for the credulous, I'd agree.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Disraeli Ears
You may call me Heather

Hey, if Animal Planet can have a paranormal show ("The Haunted"), any channel can!

I'm waiting for the Food Network to come up with one! I hear Sandra Lee has plenty of experience with "spirits."
Disraeli Ears is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DundeeGirl View Post
Hey, if Animal Planet can have a paranormal show ("The Haunted"), any channel can!

I'm waiting for the Food Network to come up with one! I hear Sandra Lee has plenty of experience with "spirits."
Good thing because she doesn't appear to have much experience with cooking.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal