ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ResidentSkeptic

Old 11th May 2011, 11:43 AM   #1
RSLancastr

Resident Skeptic: My Final Show

Well, My Better Half has (rightly) pointed out to me that I need to focus more on my recovery, and put less essential things on the back burner.

For that reason, I am sad to say, I have decided that this coming Saturday, May 14 2011, will be my final "Resident Skeptic" radio show. Between the hour I spend on-air, the time I spend preparing and worrying about the show, it is a few hours every week I could better spend doing my home Physical and Occupational therapy. Maybe, once I have recovered more of the use of my left side, I will try to do the show again (if they'll have me back).

I plan to spend the first few minutes of this final show saying goodbye to my listeners, and thanking those whose support made the show possible, and a joy to do. That should include a shout-out to the members of this forum.

I plan to spend the remainder of the show (which may run short) talking about some of the highlights & lowlights of my experiences with StopSylvia.com. I *SHOULD* be able to get an hour out of that!

To whoever it was in my first "Resident Skeptic" thread here who said something like "If you do a good skeptical job, they will cancel the show after a few episodes", I would like to stress that my leaving para-X is totally my decision. The show has NOT been cancelled. Of course, perhaps it could be argued that I didn't do a "good skeptical job" there. But I know I had some impact on some listeners. I don't know that I changed any minds about Paranormal topics, but I think I planted some seeds of skepticism. For example:

One woman recently told me in the Para-X chat room that she had been listening to a psychic give a reading, and heard something which made her say to herself "Hey, that's what RSL told us about!"

I call that a seed planted, and well worth the time and effort I've put into the show.

This also means that I will be spending less time here on the forum. I won't say "goodbye" just yet - I can't drop this place cold turkey - but every minute I spend here is a minute I could be working my left side.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2011, 01:09 PM   #2
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

While I think the show has been a good opportunity to reach out to believers, I will always have to go along with Susan when it comes to your health and recovery. If there's one thing I know about you two, it's that she has your best interests at heart. If Susan says no more show, no more show it should be.

My dad is recently in the hospital with failing health. I think he will pull out of this all right - I hope! But the sad truth is that so much of what he is dealing with now, at age 80, might have been avoided had he just been more diligent about the health issues he had some control over.

Health first - skeptical endeavors will wait.
Old 11th May 2011, 01:38 PM   #3
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by ExMinister View Post
While I think the show has been a good opportunity to reach out to believers, I will always have to go along with Susan when it comes to your health and recovery. If there's one thing I know about you two, it's that she has your best interests at heart. If Susan says no more show, no more show it should be.
Well, to be clear, Susan did NOT say "no more shows". She reminded me that my recovery should be my main priority, and that everything else (including her) need to be a distant second.

While I could never consider her a distant second to ANYTHING, her point was made. I took a look at the other things which eat up my time, and the two biggest time sinks in my life were My Show and this forum. I cut the first, and am curtailing my participation in the other.

Quote:
My dad is recently in the hospital with failing health. I think he will pull out of this all right - I hope! But the sad truth is that so much of what he is dealing with now, at age 80, might have been avoided had he just been more diligent about the health issues he had some control over.
Sorry to hear about your Dad. But yes, had I been more dilligent with my OT and PT since the stroke, I'd likely be further along in my recovery.

Health first - skeptical endeavors will wait.[/quote]

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It is a sad day. It would take you several hours work to prepare for each show. I wish you a speedy recovery. Ok speedy, I know in this case makes a snail look fast. How about another thread saying how your recovery is going?
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2011, 02:51 PM   #5
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
It is a sad day. It would take you several hours work to prepare for each show. I wish you a speedy recovery. Ok speedy, I know in this case makes a snail look fast. How about another thread saying how your recovery is going?
Thanks, but I don't think what the forum needs right now is YARSLT (Yet Another RSL Thread).

Old 11th May 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I think this board would be significantly poorer without RSL.
And I'm certain you have influenced a lot more than one person to stop and think - which is all we can ask- that people stop and think.

Of course your recovery comes first, but health is not purely physical- there are mental and (for want of a better word, ) spiritual aspects as well. Being part of a community is good for you.

And you are an important part of this one. So don't disappear.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
shandyjan
Master Poster

Aside from the interest in Sylvia, youre also a character, and I'm richer for comng accross you. So, take care!
Old 11th May 2011, 06:49 PM   #8
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
I think this board would be significantly poorer without RSL.
And I'm certain you have influenced a lot more than one person to stop and think - which is all we can ask- that people stop and think.

Of course your recovery comes first, but health is not purely physical- there are mental and (for want of a better word, ) spiritual aspects as well. Being part of a community is good for you.

And you are an important part of this one. So don't disappear.
You're very kind, Sam. I don't intend to disappear from this place, just post a bit less...

Old 11th May 2011, 06:55 PM   #9
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by shandyjan View Post
Aside from the interest in Sylvia, youre also a character, and I'm richer for comng accross you. So, take care!
Thanks, Jan!

Waiting for post from the "anti-RSL" contingent saying
Quote:
"He is so NOT a character! Why do so many people here think he's a character?" or "I think that RSL's reputation as a character in this community is overblown. There are those here who think he is totally average and ordinary, but are afraid to say so lest the "RSL is a character" groupies will attack them! and the mods will ignore those attacks!"
...IN THREE, TWO...ONE...

Old 11th May 2011, 07:14 PM   #10
RSLancastr

After I composed (but had yet to post) the OP, I cut/pasted it into an email I sent to the owner of Para-X and also to my show's producer. The owner just replied with this:

Quote:
I completely understand, Robert. We will miss having your show on the network, but always your health is the most important thing. Hopefully in the future you'll be able to climb back in the saddle again and revive the show. It was a good show, and folks really enjoyed it.
Nice guy, and a large part of why Para-X is such a nice place.

Old 11th May 2011, 07:34 PM   #11
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

That's unfortunate to hear but, absolutely, your rehabilitation comes first. First and foremost, above everything else. Hopefully you will be able to return to it when you are better able to do so.

If you enjoy doing radio, you ought to do it. Just not now.

Lowlights on StopSylvia.com? :Cough: What could those have been?

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2011, 08:15 PM   #12
SimonD
Rouge Element

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
... but every minute I spend here is a minute I could be working my left side...
What's wrong with you RSL...I get onto the internet all the time and 'work my left side'

Seriously though, it would be sad to see you go (understand the health concerns). I've always found your approach to be very refreshing. Your willingness to listen to criticism and respond in a positive manner is very commendable. I don't know how you do it. I find reading your threads and watching the way you deal with people is a constant reminder of how I want to respond to people as well. It is so easy to get caught up with one's own ego and to strike with the first thought that comes into your head

'If there is an intelligent designer, why is the product so flawed?' - Diogenes

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=99
SimonD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2011, 08:24 PM   #13
RSLancastr

Thanks, Simon... very kind of you to say.

Old 11th May 2011, 08:34 PM   #14
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
Lowlights on StopSylvia.com? :Cough: What could those have been?
Depends on your perspective. her siccing her atty on me was a lowlight that turned into a highlight.

Old 11th May 2011, 10:43 PM   #15
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Thanks, Jan!

In the absence of the regular "anti-RSL" contingent can I substitute myself by making the comments below?

Thanks, but I don't think what the forum needs right now is YARSLT (Yet Another RSL Thread).
I disagree. I think we need MRSLTAAE (More RSL Threads About Anything and Everything). If you can do them in the public sub forums, rather than Community that would be great. I would not worry too much about the "anti-RSL" contingent. Ignore them or give them very brief replies.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 04:29 AM   #16
fls
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks, Jan!

Who wrote that post (the attribution tag was removed)?

I can't say that I have read every post in every RSL thread, but I've read a lot, and I don't remember an "anti-RSL" contingent. Now I feel like I've missed something. <pout>

(Like the rest, I understand your decision but will miss your contributions.)

Linda
fls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 04:34 AM   #17
rickps
Thinker

The very best of health to you, mate. Here's to you getting your left side where you'd like it to be. (On the left, of course, but...you know what I mean.)
rickps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 04:51 AM   #18
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Thanks, Jan!

I assume that was light-hearted but in case not, I don't think I've seen an "anti-RSL" contingent, just people who have disagreed with you (sometimes over-vehemently, granted, but the internet does tend to exaggerate). Your responses to such have mostly been in your usual courteous and understanding style but sometimes the flood of people in to support your argument has come across as 'acolyte' type behaviour and that may have ramped up tensions and apparent divisions beyond what was really there. That is not to say their arguments were wrong, it's just they sometimes appeared to be accompanied by overtly emotional statements of support that exacerbated the 'How dare you criticise him he can do no wrong' (mis)perception of their posts and over-shadowed the logical argument that was contained. In other words, the way people posted it was clear they liked you a lot (which is nice...no sarcasm intended) and that (unfairly) was seen as the main reason for their defence.

At least that's how some of the threads came across to me.

Anyway, as one of those who has disagreed with you on occasion (but hopefully explained why and was relatively courteous), may I wish you all the best with your recovery and state for the record that, regardless of any disagreement I may have had with you on occasion, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and the hard work you've put in and know that what you do has always been with the best of intentions.

I'd also echo what others say and hope that you still find plenty of time to post here as the place would certainly be poorer without you.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 04:58 AM   #19
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Robert,

I have never heard your show, but having been on this site for a few years now, (more a lurker than a poster) I feel I have gotten to know much about you through your excellent work, which I have followed over the years.

You and your site provide an incredible and valuable service in the fight against those who would prey on the emotionally vulnerable and credulous to line their own pockets, and I have directed many people to StopSylvia.com.

Concentrate on getting strong again before you report back for duty!

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 05:03 AM   #20
Correa Neto
Philosopher

I can't say I liked to hear about the end of the show. However, I do liked to hear about your resolution of focusing on your recovery.

Its fair, its wise, its logical.

May I suggest that an alternative (or compromise) could be you eventually making something like a show every two or three monts? Take your time, slow down the pace, dedicate a small ammount of time during a longer period, prepare it with more calm and less stress...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 05:03 AM   #21
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sounds like good prioritisation. Hope you are on the mend, Robert.
Old 12th May 2011, 05:12 AM   #22
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

You're very kind, Sam. I don't intend to disappear from this place, just post a bit less...
Mushie will be happy to hear that, for some reason...

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 05:35 AM   #23
Rasmus
Philosopher

What everybody else was saying.

Don't overdo your exercises, though. If you were to put as much energy and effort into exercising as you've put into the stopsites and your show, you'll turn out another Arnold Schwarzenegger or something.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:36 AM   #24
RSLancastr

Thanks, All!

Old 12th May 2011, 08:48 AM   #25
Correa Neto
Philosopher

You are welcome, but the name's not "All"...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2011, 01:42 PM   #26
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I disagree. I think we need MRSLTAAE (More RSL Threads About Anything and Everything). If you can do them in the public sub forums, rather than Community that would be great. I would not worry too much about the "anti-RSL" contingent. Ignore them or give them very brief replies.
Thanks, rjh. But ignoring criticism's not really my style. I generally try to examine it and learn from it. I might learn that I truly am doing something wrong. At minimum, I learn that there is another POV, and I take that into consideration in future. It also makes me curious as to whether there are others who feel the same way as the "critic", but who are not vocalizing it. Sometimes I try to draw out further opinion on the matter, as I recently did with the poll regarding how I should post SSB emails. I almost always try to draw out more supporting details from the critic, such as "where have I done this thing you say I do?" This unfortunately can come across as a "put up or shut up" dare, when in is (usually) me really interested. I have come close a time or two to putting a critic on Ignore, when they repeatedly say they will present evidence, then repeatedly fail to do so, but the Ignore feature robs you of any possible valid statement that person might make in future.

Old 12th May 2011, 01:59 PM   #27
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by fls View Post
Who wrote that post (the attribution tag was removed)?
Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer on that. That was not an acual quote. It was my attempt at a humorous...parody, I guess... of the seemingly reflexive need a few have to try and negate anything positive said about me. using the QUOTE feature to set it apart from the rest of my post was probably inadvisable.

Quote:
I can't say that I have read every post in every RSL thread, but I've read a lot, and I don't remember an "anti-RSL" contingent. Now I feel like I've missed something. <pout>
Perhaps referring to them as an "Anti-RSL" contingent was a bit hyperbolic on my part, sorry. But there is a small group of posters who are, if not "anti-RSL", are tired of the attention and praise some of my endeavors receive around here, and, evidently, think that criticizing me, or at least criticizing the praise of me, is one way to "balance the scales" in that regard. And there are people who like to feel...iconoclastic, I guess...by not liking what most others seem to like. I, for example, tend to be snooty about bands and TV Shows which are very popular. It's a silly, elitist attitude, but I understand it a bit, and think there is an element of it in some of the criticisms.

Quote:
(Like the rest, I understand your decision but will miss your contributions.)

Linda
Thank you, Linda.

Old 12th May 2011, 02:02 PM   #28
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by rickps View Post
The very best of health to you, mate. Here's to you getting your left side where you'd like it to be. (On the left, of course, but...you know what I mean.)
Thanks, rick! It does remain on my left, but that's about the only thing it does correctly at the moment!

Old 12th May 2011, 02:10 PM   #29
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
I assume that was light-hearted but in case not, I don't think I've seen an "anti-RSL" contingent, just people who have disagreed with you (sometimes over-vehemently, granted, but the internet does tend to exaggerate). Your responses to such have mostly been in your usual courteous and understanding style but sometimes the flood of people in to support your argument has come across as 'acolyte' type behaviour and that may have ramped up tensions and apparent divisions beyond what was really there. That is not to say their arguments were wrong, it's just they sometimes appeared to be accompanied by overtly emotional statements of support that exacerbated the 'How dare you criticise him he can do no wrong' (mis)perception of their posts and over-shadowed the logical argument that was contained. In other words, the way people posted it was clear they liked you a lot (which is nice...no sarcasm intended) and that (unfairly) was seen as the main reason for their defence.

At least that's how some of the threads came across to me.

Anyway, as one of those who has disagreed with you on occasion (but hopefully explained why and was relatively courteous), may I wish you all the best with your recovery and state for the record that, regardless of any disagreement I may have had with you on occasion, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and the hard work you've put in and know that what you do has always been with the best of intentions.

I'd also echo what others say and hope that you still find plenty of time to post here as the place would certainly be poorer without you.
Thanks, Ethan. I do not think of you as part of that "contingent" I mentioned, and, offhand, don't recall the time(s) you and I disagreed, so, chances are, you actually pled your case, getting me to either agree with you or, at least, to understand you. Again, I don't consider disagreeing with me, or even disapproving of me, to be "anti-RSL".

Old 12th May 2011, 02:17 PM   #30
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Robert,

I have never heard your show, but having been on this site for a few years now, (more a lurker than a poster) I feel I have gotten to know much about you through your excellent work, which I have followed over the years.

You and your site provide an incredible and valuable service in the fight against those who would prey on the emotionally vulnerable and credulous to line their own pockets, and I have directed many people to StopSylvia.com.

Concentrate on getting strong again before you report back for duty!
Thanks, SMVC!

And let me take this opportunity to put in a plug:

A few of my more recent shows are listenable/downloadable at www.para-x.com/demand.html (or, if I have got that URL wrong, go to www.para-x.com and click the "On Demand" button at the top. Once on the On Demand page, scroll down through the (mostly) alphabetic listing of the station's shows/episodes until you reach the "Resident Skeptic" ones. Left-click a show to listen to it directly from that page, or right-click and do a SaveAs to download it to your computer.

Old 12th May 2011, 02:22 PM   #31
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
May I suggest that an alternative (or compromise) could be you eventually making something like a show every two or three monts? Take your time, slow down the pace, dedicate a small ammount of time during a longer period, prepare it with more calm and less stress...
I like this idea. Perhaps I could just work on a topic until I felt it was ready, and, whenever that happened, approach the owner about doing a show on that topic. No deadlines, just "when I'm ready, do a show."

Thanks!

Old 12th May 2011, 02:26 PM   #32
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Sounds like good prioritisation. Hope you are on the mend, Robert.
Thanks, Sider!

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
Mushie will be happy to hear that, for some reason...
Probably so.

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
What everybody else was saying.

Don't overdo your exercises, though. If you were to put as much energy and effort into exercising as you've put into the stopsites and your show, you'll turn out another Arnold Schwarzenegger or something.
My Better Half doesn't dig the muscle-bound look, so I will do my best to avoid that, thanks.

Old 12th May 2011, 02:29 PM   #33
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
You are welcome, but the name's not "All"...
Well, I was trying to avoid quoting and responding to each post, adding many posts to my thread about my cutting back on my posts - bad form.

Old 12th May 2011, 03:15 PM   #34
sinclairmcevoy
Philosopher

Best wishes to you Robert. Perhaps you could focus on typing with your left hand only, that would probably cut back the number of posts and be therapeutic at the same time!
Old 12th May 2011, 03:25 PM   #35
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by sinclairmcevoy View Post
Best wishes to you Robert. Perhaps you could focus on typing with your left hand only, that would probably cut back the number of posts and be therapeutic at the same time!
Dunno how therapeutic it would be, but

(I intended to type the rest of that sentence with my left hand, but I simply cannot. So yes, it would cut back my posts to zero.

Old 13th May 2011, 12:55 AM   #36
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Dunno how therapeutic it would be, but

(I intended to type the rest of that sentence with my left hand, but I simply cannot. So yes, it would cut back my posts to zero.
Ever thought about getting software so that you do not have to use your hands for typing?

http://www.voicerecognition.com.au/
http://www.voicerecognition.com.au/d...ragon-home.htm
Major problem with it is that it costs $A99 - $A249, depending on the version you buy.
Old 13th May 2011, 02:18 AM   #37
Rasmus
Philosopher

I like this idea. Perhaps I could just work on a topic until I felt it was ready, and, whenever that happened, approach the owner about doing a show on that topic. No deadlines, just "when I'm ready, do a show."

Thanks!
Are your shows life or pre-recorded? If life, maybe you might find it easier to do recordings? It would make call-ins difficult if not impossible, but it would make it much easier to work at your own pace.

My Better Half doesn't dig the muscle-bound look, so I will do my best to avoid that, thanks.
This would be ... Susan or your right side, then?

But seriously, make sure rehab doesn't take over more of your life than it will inevitably do and has to do anyway.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:04 AM   #38
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Are your shows life or pre-recorded? If life, maybe you might find it easier to do recordings? It would make call-ins difficult if not impossible, but it would make it much easier to work at your own pace.
Up until now, they have all been live. People here suggested I go to prerecorded back when my show was having so many producer/audio problems. I didn't want to, partly due to the issues with callers, but you bring up a good point - perhaps prerecording shows would make for less pressure (self-imposed and otherwise), though it would still, I think, take as much of my time to prepare and record, prerecording, along with the just-doing-a-show-once-I-was-ready thing, would be a good compromise, and take up less time per week.

I'll give it some thought, then run it by Susan and the station owner and see how it flies with them, thanks!

Quote:
This would be ... Susan or your right side, then?
When in title case, My Better Half always refers to Susan.

Quote:
But seriously, make sure rehab doesn't take over more of your life than it will inevitably do and has to do anyway.
For your protection, I will not tell My Better Half that you said this. but thanks for the thought!

Old 13th May 2011, 12:44 PM   #39
Yeah_Right
Muse

I really liked your show Robert, especially when I listened live and saw all the shocked emoticons when you said things like there are no real psychics.

CEO_ESQ:"Something about pyramids seems to cause a shutdown of critical faculties in certain people."
Yeah_Right is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2011, 12:51 PM   #40
RSLancastr

Thanks, YR! I never got confident enough in doing the show to hang in the chat while on air, so I missed out on all that!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal