ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags health conspiracies , vaccination , vaccine autism myth , vaccines

Closed Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 08:46 AM   #241
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing
 
Corsair 115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,816
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Iron lungs were a hoot.

Well, iron lung sound a lot like Iron Man, so it's gotta be cool, right?
__________________
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve
to organize and measure the best of our abilities and skills, because that challenge is one we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and
one which we intend to win."
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 07:22 AM   #242
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,507
Funny how Clayton abandoned this thread.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 09:26 AM   #243
1337m4n
Alphanumeric Anonymous Stick Man
 
1337m4n's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,510
I might've said this before. But if I have, it bears repeating.

Know what I hate about this particular conspiracy theory? It's perhaps the only conspiracy theory that can actually kill people.

I usually spend my forum time arguing against 9/11 Truthers. They're offensive, disrespectful, loudmouthed, stupid, annoying, cultlike oafs who destroy their own lives to satisfy their needs for attention. But they aren't dangerous in the life-or-death sense of the word. The worst I've seen them to is convince gullible people to abandon friends and families so they can run off and do Twoof crap. Which is bad, sure, but they still have their lives. JFK and moon hoax CTs are even less harmful.

But these vaccine CT's.

No.

These vaccine CT's...they are what make me wish there weren't laws against nonlethal assault & battery. They are what make me question the otherwise unquestionable First Amendment. These cancerous tumors on society suck gullible people into their fold, using lies, weasel-words, and Twoofisms...they suck people in, and then they kill them and their children.

I don't know what kind of body count the Vaccines-Cause-Autism CT has racked up over the years, but I have a feeling it's higher than the death toll of every other conspiracy theory combined. These people make me sick. Whenever I hear the phrase "faith in humanity" I declare that I am an atheist. What a bunch of ****.
__________________
http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting...2b728514ea.gif

"The evidence that the attacks of 9/11 were an inside job just keeps not coming in." --pomeroo
1337m4n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 10:05 AM   #244
Clayton Moore
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,508
Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
I might've said this before. But if I have, it bears repeating.

Know what I hate about this particular conspiracy theory? It's perhaps the only conspiracy theory that can actually kill people.

I usually spend my forum time arguing against 9/11 Truthers. They're offensive, disrespectful, loudmouthed, stupid, annoying, cultlike oafs who destroy their own lives to satisfy their needs for attention. But they aren't dangerous in the life-or-death sense of the word. The worst I've seen them to is convince gullible people to abandon friends and families so they can run off and do Twoof crap. Which is bad, sure, but they still have their lives. JFK and moon hoax CTs are even less harmful.

But these vaccine CT's.

No.

These vaccine CT's...they are what make me wish there weren't laws against nonlethal assault & battery. They are what make me question the otherwise unquestionable First Amendment. These cancerous tumors on society suck gullible people into their fold, using lies, weasel-words, and Twoofisms...they suck people in, and then they kill them and their children.

I don't know what kind of body count the Vaccines-Cause-Autism CT has racked up over the years, but I have a feeling it's higher than the death toll of every other conspiracy theory combined. These people make me sick. Whenever I hear the phrase "faith in humanity" I declare that I am an atheist. What a bunch of ****.
Maybe you should wake up and view the tip of the iceberg.

Or do you think all of these incidents are imagined?

Seizures, convulsions & vaccines

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/seizures.html

Quote:
[2009 Sept] Two thousand schoolgirls suffer suspected ill-effects from cervical cancer vaccine Within four days of the third injection in March of this year, Stacey suffered an epileptic seizure, followed by 17 more in the following week. She has now been diagnosed with a brain injury, caused by inflammation of the brain, and is being treated in an NHS rehabilitation unit in Birmingham, which helps her with basic tasks like making a sandwich. Seizures are minimised by five types of medication, but her memory is badly damaged. The family has been given no explanation for how the damage occurred. Mrs Jones, 44, said: "She was such a lovely, happy go-lucky girl, now she is just a shell. "When we go to see her, she can't remember what she has just eaten for tea. The impact on her and all of us has been absolutely devastating. I feel she has been used as a guinea pig."

I have a friend who can't get a flu shot or a tetanus shot because of the reaction. She's 40. What happens to a toddler or younger baby when he or she gets a REACTION?
What happens when a baby has an unobserved seizure?

Quote:
[1998] Weibel et al Acute Encephalopathy Followed by Permanent Brain Injury or Death Associated With Further Attenuated Measles Vaccines: A Review of Claims Submitted to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program A total of 48 children, ages 10 to 49 months, met the inclusion criteria after receiving measles vaccine, alone or in combination. Eight children died, and the remainder had mental regression and retardation, chronic seizures, motor and sensory deficits, and movement disorders.

When a vaccine or series of vaccines are given and a child develops a seizure minutes later or even several days later, there is no question that the vaccine triggered the seizure. Multiple seizures indicate a severely inflamed brain and emergency procedures need to be implemented. In many cases, the seizures can be silent, that is, they have other neurological or behavioral expressions, such as irritability or periods of confusion, rather than an obvious convulsion. (Blaylock, RL. JAN A 2003;6:10-22.) Treatment means more than just prescribing anti-seizure medications, since this only masks the true process going on in the child's brain, that is, severe brain inflammation and excitotoxicity. Vaccine Safety Manual by Neil Z. Miller.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 10:29 AM   #245
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,967
Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
I might've said this before. But if I have, it bears repeating.

Know what I hate about this particular conspiracy theory? It's perhaps the only conspiracy theory that can actually kill people.

I usually spend my forum time arguing against 9/11 Truthers. They're offensive, disrespectful, loudmouthed, stupid, annoying, cultlike oafs who destroy their own lives to satisfy their needs for attention. But they aren't dangerous in the life-or-death sense of the word. The worst I've seen them to is convince gullible people to abandon friends and families so they can run off and do Twoof crap. Which is bad, sure, but they still have their lives. JFK and moon hoax CTs are even less harmful.

But these vaccine CT's.

No.

These vaccine CT's...they are what make me wish there weren't laws against nonlethal assault & battery. They are what make me question the otherwise unquestionable First Amendment. These cancerous tumors on society suck gullible people into their fold, using lies, weasel-words, and Twoofisms...they suck people in, and then they kill them and their children.

I don't know what kind of body count the Vaccines-Cause-Autism CT has racked up over the years, but I have a feeling it's higher than the death toll of every other conspiracy theory combined. These people make me sick. Whenever I hear the phrase "faith in humanity" I declare that I am an atheist. What a bunch of ****.
Oh man, I so hear you. Think of it: what's just about the worst thing in the whole world you can call someone, worse than murderer, rapist, Hitler-lover, or anything else? Baby killer, right? And yet, here we are, talking about people who are fully prepared to put millions of babies' lives at risk. And for what, really? To satisfy their twisted, perverse need to feel superior, to tell themselves they know something the rest of us don't, by talking smugly and confidently about a subject they don't even being to remotely understand.

When I think of someone like Jenny McCarthy, and how by the cold light of logic, reason, and mathematics the world would quite literally be better off if she were dead (or, as a less violent alternative, would at least just shut her impossibly stupid mouth), it may make me rather queasy and uncomfortable to harbor such thoughts. But I cannot argue with the underlying truth of the situation.

Some people want to be stupid. OK I get it. So long as the only victims of their willful stupidity are themselves, I say go for it, knock yourself out, whatever gets you through the day and all that. But when your stupidity endangers lives -- especially those of babies and children who have no choice in the matter -- well, all I can say is that I cannot fathom how such a person can live with themselves.
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com

Last edited by Stellafane; 28th May 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 10:40 AM   #246
Clayton Moore
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,508
Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Oh man, I so hear you. Think of it: what's just about the worst thing in the whole world you can call someone, worse than murderer, rapist, Hitler-lover, or anything else? Baby killer, right? And yet, here we are, talking about people who are fully prepared to put millions of babies' lives at risk. And for what, really? To satisfy their twisted, perverse need to feel superior, to tell themselves they know something the rest of us don't, by talking smugly and confidently about a subject they don't even being to remotely understand.

When I think of someone like Jenny McCarthy, and how by the cold light of logic, reason, and mathematics the world would quite literally be better off if she were dead (or, as a less violent alternative, would at least just shut her impossibly stupid mouth), it may make me rather queasy and uncomfortable to harbor such thoughts. But I cannot argue with the underlying truth of the situation.

Some people want to be stupid. OK I get it. So long as the only victims of their willful stupidity are themselves, I say go for it, knock yourself out, whatever gets you through the day and all that. But when your stupidity endangers lives -- especially those of babies and children who have no choice in the matter -- well, all I can say is that I cannot fathom how such a person can live with themselves.
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/seizures.html

In case you missed it the people discussed are victims.


Quote:
I have a friend who can't get a flu shot or a tetanus shot because of the reaction. She's 40. What happens to a toddler or younger baby when he or she gets a REACTION?
What happens when a baby has an unobserved seizure?
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 11:27 AM   #247
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,967
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/seizures.html

In case you missed it the people discussed are victims.
I'm not sure why you think what you've posted is any sort of reply. It appears to consist primarily of links to unverified anecdotes in which claims are made that various forms of health problems followed the administration of a vaccination -- with little proof that the former caused the latter. None of it provides even a single atom of proof that vaccines cause autism, which after all is the topic of this thread.

I don't know what your motivation is for doing something like this -- indeed, as I stated in my previous post, I can't even understand why anyone would do this. All I can say is that to me, this behavior is indistinguishable from someone who has no interest in determining or discussing the truth; they simply want to tell themselves they're winning an argument. The problem is, such activity is essentially the same as playing a game in which no one else is participating -- and still losing very badly.
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 11:40 AM   #248
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,790
And still he ignores Wakefield's vaccine patent in favour of unverified anecdotes and lies...........
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 11:56 AM   #249
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,967
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
And still he ignores Wakefield's vaccine patent in favour of unverified anecdotes and lies...........
I think it's a exercise in simply wanting to believe something, and then contriving a reason for doing so. Think of it: The original presumed connection between autism and vaccines was based on the whole themiserol thing, and the similarities between the symptoms of mercury poisoning and autism. So they phase out themiserol, but instead of going down autism diagnosis rates continue to rise (probably because we're just better at recognizing the symptoms, although some consider the jury still out on that one). But instead of accepting that vaccines never had anything to do with autism, the anti-vaxers now seem to be focusing on some hypothetical process in which vaccines damage the immune system, thus resulting in autism -- as if autism were the result of immunodeficiency, a link for which I've seen zero evidence.

For some people, it seems to come down to this: they know vaccines cause autism, so it doesn't really matter what the data does -- or doesn't -- show. And based on that, they're prepared to put millions of babies at risk. The ignorant and deluded are to be pitied; but those who insist upon remaining willfully so, at the potential expense of innocent young lives, are reprehensible beyond expression.
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com

Last edited by Stellafane; 28th May 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 01:22 AM   #250
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,507
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/seizures.html
Quote:
I have a friend who can't get a flu shot or a tetanus shot because of the reaction. She's 40. What happens to a toddler or younger baby when he or she gets a REACTION?
What happens when a baby has an unobserved seizure?
In case you missed it the people discussed are victims.
Babies can be born with all sorts of potential reactions to things. Of course we only find out about them when they actually have these reactions. But I suppose we should go the safer course and just keep all babies in a plastic bubble just in case.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 03:10 PM   #251
Clayton Moore
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,508
[quote]
Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
I think it's a exercise in simply wanting to believe something, and then contriving a reason for doing so. Think of it: The original presumed connection between autism and vaccines was based on the whole themiserol thing, and the similarities between the symptoms of mercury poisoning and autism. So they phase out themiserol, but instead of going down autism diagnosis rates continue to rise (probably because we're just better at recognizing the symptoms, although some consider the jury still out on that one). But instead of accepting that vaccines never had anything to do with autism, the anti-vaxers now seem to be focusing on some hypothetical process in which vaccines damage the immune system, thus resulting in autism -- as if autism were the result of immunodeficiency, a link for which I've seen zero evidence.

For some people, it seems to come down to this: they know vaccines cause autism, so it doesn't really matter what the data does -- or doesn't -- show. And based on that, they're prepared to put millions of babies at risk. The ignorant and deluded are to be pitied; but those who insist upon remaining willfully so, at the potential expense of innocent young lives, are reprehensible beyond expression.
So because people were not questioning the vaccine but the themiserol. When the themiserol was eliminated the vaccine gets a pass? Good thinking.

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/seizures.html

Maybe you should take the time to read all of those links.
You think those people have some nefarious agenda?


Quote:
In April 2010, an ATAGI - TGA joint working group was established to provide advice to the Chief Medical Officer on adverse events following the 2010 trivalent seasonal influenza vaccine (TIV). In September 2010, this group was reconvened to re-examine the rate of febrile convulsions following administration of the monovalent pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccine, Panvax/Panvax Junior (CSL) in young children, and in particular, to address the following questions:

You do realize that reconvened to re-examine the rate of febrile convulsions means that a significant number of events are needed to freaking reconvene anything.




Quote:
As at 17 September 2010 the TGA had received a total of 48 unique reports of febrile convulsions in children aged less than 5 years who had received Panvax or Panvax Jnr. Each of these cases (the numerator) were carefully reviewed to ensure that a consistent case definition was applied and that the timeframe and age range of the cases (numerator) used in the analysis were consistent with those used in determining the number of doses administered (the denominator)
I've never witnessed a febrile convulsion and I hope no one here has or will. How many have gone unseen by a parent downstairs while their toddler is "sleeping" 10 or 12 hours a day?


http://www.whale.to/vaccine/feds9.html

Quote:
Feds checking post-vaccine seizures in young kids

(AP) – 1 day ago

Jan 20, 2011

ATLANTA (AP) — Government officials are investigating an apparent increase in fever-related seizures in young children after they got a flu shot.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Thursday said there have been 36 confirmed reports of seizures this flu season in children ages 6 months through 2 years. The seizures occurred within one day after they were vaccinated with Fluzone, the only flu shot recommended in the United States for infants and very young children. Ten of the children were hospitalized, but all recovered.
How does anyone know if the potential of a 6 month old baby has been damaged or not?


Quote:
In August, a U.S. vaccines advisory panel said doctors should avoid using that vaccine, made by CSL Biotherapies, in children ages 6 months through 8 years.
In the US, the flu season is October through May.

Does this mean that the advisory was ignored?
Quote:
Jan 20, 2011

ATLANTA (AP) — Government officials are investigating an apparent increase in fever-related seizures in young children after they got a flu shot.
WTF Vaccines causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.

Last edited by Clayton Moore; 29th May 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 03:27 PM   #252
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing
 
Corsair 115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,816
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/seizures.html

In case you missed it the people discussed are victims.

O. M. G! He actually linked to the whale.to web site to support his case. Multiple times!
__________________
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve
to organize and measure the best of our abilities and skills, because that challenge is one we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and
one which we intend to win."
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 03:42 PM   #253
000063
Philosopher
 
000063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,310
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Funny how Clayton abandoned this thread.
He never was really here.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 03:59 PM   #254
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,272
Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
O. M. G! He actually linked to the whale.to web site to support his case. Multiple times!
It is inevitable when vaccines are the topic. Its the Godwin of the Jenny Mcarthy set.
__________________
Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.

Spectrum Scientifics - My store - Google it people!
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 05:48 PM   #255
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,868
Quote:
I don't know what kind of body count the Vaccines-Cause-Autism CT has racked up over the years, but I have a feeling it's higher than the death toll of every other conspiracy theory combined.
Here's a primer: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.co...ount/Home.html

At the time of writing, 79 365 cases of preventable illnesses, of which 727 resulted in deaths. This is contrasted with 0 cases of autism found to have been caused by vaccination.
__________________
In choosing to support humanitarian organizations, it's best to choose those that do not have "militant wings" (Mycroft, 2013)
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 05:56 PM   #256
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,967
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
So because people were not questioning the vaccine but the themiserol. When the themiserol was eliminated the vaccine gets a pass? Good thinking.
Actually, it's quite good thinking, since there's no evidence that vaccines cause autism, and no reason to believe they even can once you've eliminated the thermiserol angle (which, although totally unproven, at least was quasi-plausible). So yes, they get a total pass unless someone can suggest why they shouldn't -- which thus far no one has. Don't forget, it's up to the anti-vax folks to prove the link to autism, not up to everyone else to disprove it.


Quote:
Maybe you should take the time to read all of those links.
You think those people have some nefarious agenda?
No, I just think they're woefully ignorant and attach vastly more gravitas to their uninformed opinions than is merited -- which, when one considers that the lives of innocent children are at state, might indeed be accurately described as nefarious after all.


Quote:
You do realize that reconvened to re-examine the rate of febrile convulsions means that a significant number of events are needed to freaking reconvene anything.

I've never witnessed a febrile convulsion and I hope no one here has or will. How many have gone unseen by a parent downstairs while their toddler is "sleeping" 10 or 12 hours a day?
Sorry, but I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here. And in any case, the OP is about vaccines causing autism. What does febrile convulsions have to do with that? Are you implying that if there's any side effects at all associated with vaccines, whatever those symptoms must be, then it follows that vaccines cause autism? I certainly hope that's not what you're attempting here, because if so, that would place you squarely in the camp of those who are more interested in trying to "win" an internet argument than discussing the truth of whether or not vaccines cause autism.


Quote:
How does anyone know if the potential of a 6 month old baby has been damaged or not?
This goes back to my burden of proof remark earlier. "How does anyone know" doesn't cut it. What you need is "There is proof that." You don't have that, and therefore your argument fails.


Quote:
WTF Vaccines causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those parallel vertical poles flying off into the distance are goalposts. Of course vaccines can cause health problems in some young children (a very tiny minority), no reasonable person denies that. Every effective medication can cause side effects in some people. Treatments as massively successful and important as aspirin and penicillin can and have killed people. Should we ban them, along with every other effective medication? Sure, if we want to go back to the time when human life expectancy was around 30 years and the majority of babies failed to survive childhood.

But that's not what this thread's about, it's about whether or not vaccines cause autism. So trying to turn the argument into "but vaccines have some side effects" is a strawman so huge you could hide the Trojan army in it.

This is the point at which it becomes rather difficult to show any respect at all to your argument. The subject of this thread is whether or not vaccines cause autism. If you have evidence that it does, present it. If you don't, admit such, rather than attempting to save a bit of face by shifting the goalposts.
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com

Last edited by Stellafane; 29th May 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 06:07 PM   #257
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,967
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Here's a primer: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.co...ount/Home.html

At the time of writing, 79 365 cases of preventable illnesses, of which 727 resulted in deaths. This is contrasted with 0 cases of autism found to have been caused by vaccination.

Never mind...there's really nothing to say to the above that doesn't already speak for itself.
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com

Last edited by Stellafane; 29th May 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 06:14 PM   #258
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,868
Quote:
WTF Vaccines causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.
WTF Seat belts causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.
WTF Helmets causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.
WTF Dogs causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.
WTF Stairs causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.
WTF Toys causing health problems to young children, serious health problems, is not conspiracy theory, it's reality.

Your point?

Quote:
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/seizures.html

Maybe you should take the time to read all of those links.
You think those people have some nefarious agenda?
You think this is relevant for some reason?
__________________
In choosing to support humanitarian organizations, it's best to choose those that do not have "militant wings" (Mycroft, 2013)

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 29th May 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 06:20 PM   #259
Clayton Moore
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,508
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Here's a primer: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.co...ount/Home.html

At the time of writing, 79 365 cases of preventable illnesses, of which 727 resulted in deaths. This is contrasted with 0 cases of autism found to have been caused by vaccination.
Go spread those lies somewhere else. In the fifties I think there were over a million cases a year of measles and about 500 deaths a year. 60 years later I'm sure most of those lives would be saved by modern medicine.

Last edited by Clayton Moore; 29th May 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 07:00 PM   #260
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,272
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
Go spread those lies somewhere else.
They are not lies.
__________________
Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.

Spectrum Scientifics - My store - Google it people!
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 08:34 PM   #261
Arisia
Muse
 
Arisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 605
Children are born autistic, or on the autism spectrum, and subtle signs are there months before MMR vaccination takes place. Less subtle signs tend to show up around the time the MMR vaccination takes place, that doesn't mean the MMR vaccine has any connection to autism.
As for the vaccinations against HPV, my daughter got them, and like the vast majority of young women, she had no side effects whatsoever.
Humanity has eradicated one disease from the human population so far, small pox, due mostly to a vaccination program. We are so close to doing the same with other deadly diseases like polio, and we were getting there with measles, until this idiocy.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th May 2011, 09:57 PM   #262
Clayton Moore
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,508
Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
Children are born autistic, or on the autism spectrum, and subtle signs are there months before MMR vaccination takes place. Less subtle signs tend to show up around the time the MMR vaccination takes place, that doesn't mean the MMR vaccine has any connection to autism.
As for the vaccinations against HPV, my daughter got them, and like the vast majority of young women, she had no side effects whatsoever.
Humanity has eradicated one disease from the human population so far, small pox, due mostly to a vaccination program. We are so close to doing the same with other deadly diseases like polio, and we were getting there with measles, until this idiocy.
The idiocy is the belief that children, after what, 600,000 years are now becoming autistic because they are genetically disposed to. Inherited brain dysfunction. That's nutso. World wide inherited autism.

What do kids with autism have in common? Start with that and get back to planet Earth?

Show me a study that produces 1000 autistic children who were never vaccinated.

I'm hooked, this forum makes me feel like Mike Judge.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 12:52 AM   #263
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,507
Autism has always been with us. The only reason there seems to be an increase now is that they broadened the diagnostic symptoms for autism to the point where just about anyone with any "weirdness" to them now qualifies.

But how many kids get diagnosed as "mentally retarded" now? Since that almost never happens anymore I declare that vaccines have eliminated it.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 04:03 AM   #264
Kid Eager
Illuminator
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,539
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post

What do kids with autism have in common? Start with that and get back to planet Earth?


.
A diagnosis of autism rather than failing to be diagnosed, or being simply labelled "retarded".
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 05:33 AM   #265
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,868
Quote:
Show me a study that produces 1000 autistic children who were never vaccinated.
What would be the point? You would come back saying either that

a) the study is flawed somehow, or

b) that all right, so vaccines aren't the only thing that causes autism. Although admittedly that would be some sort of progress.

Edit: but as vaccines do not cause autism, I suspect I already know what the statistics, when presented to you, will show.
__________________
In choosing to support humanitarian organizations, it's best to choose those that do not have "militant wings" (Mycroft, 2013)
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 06:48 AM   #266
excaza
Illuminator
 
excaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,593
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
The idiocy is the belief that children, after what, 600,000 years are now becoming autistic because they are genetically disposed to. Inherited brain dysfunction. That's nutso. World wide inherited autism.
The idiocy is the belief that children after what, 600,000 years are now developing ADD because they are genetically disposed to. Inherited brain dysfunction. That's nutso. World wide inherited ADD.

You don't see the flaw at all in your logic?

Quote:
What do kids with autism have in common? Start with that and get back to planet Earth?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FwBSITW-4
__________________

Last edited by excaza; 30th May 2011 at 06:49 AM.
excaza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 06:52 AM   #267
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist
 
aggle-rithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 15,336
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
What do kids with autism have in common? Start with that and get back to planet Earth?
My God...they all drink WATER!

Quick, everyone! Stop drinking water!
__________________
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 06:55 AM   #268
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist
 
aggle-rithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 15,336
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
But how many kids get diagnosed as "mentally retarded" now? Since that almost never happens anymore I declare that vaccines have eliminated it.
They've also completely wiped out melancholia and dementia praecox.
__________________
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 07:18 AM   #269
Grassy Knowlington
Muse
 
Grassy Knowlington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 531
It is difficult, to say the least, to convince someone (particularly a mother) that their child's illness or disability cannot necessarily be blamed on an event such as innoculation rather than accept that it's just one of those things that we are all at risk of to a greater or lesser degree.

Vaccinations do have side effects, that is why manufacturers have to state that there is risk on the product labelling. A drug is approved if it can be demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that the benefit outweighs the risk, but that still leaves risk. It is a fact that drugs have been released that have resulted in appalling outcomes - e.g. Thalidomide.

Take all of the above facts, add heart-rending anecdotes that a child was diagnosed autistic after some vaccine shots (yes, I know these events are coincidental), claims of curing the apparently incurable through diet or bicarbonate of soda or whatever, and you end up with a hell of an uphill battle to educate and get acceptance by some that we need to act collectively for the benefit of all even at personal risk to us or our children.
Grassy Knowlington is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 07:28 AM   #270
000063
Philosopher
 
000063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,310
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
Go spread those lies somewhere else. In the fifties I think there were over a million cases a year of measles and about 500 deaths a year. 60 years later I'm sure most of those lives would be saved by modern medicine.
'Modern medicine' would include vaccinations.

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
Children are born autistic, or on the autism spectrum, and subtle signs are there months before MMR vaccination takes place. Less subtle signs tend to show up around the time the MMR vaccination takes place, that doesn't mean the MMR vaccine has any connection to autism.
As for the vaccinations against HPV, my daughter got them, and like the vast majority of young women, she had no side effects whatsoever.
Humanity has eradicated one disease from the human population so far, small pox, due mostly to a vaccination program. We are so close to doing the same with other deadly diseases like polio, and we were getting there with measles, until this idiocy.
Unfortunately, human stupidity is the most resilient parasite of all.

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
My God...they all drink WATER!

Quick, everyone! Stop drinking water!
I...I can't! What have they done to me! Help!

Last edited by 000063; 30th May 2011 at 07:30 AM.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 10:38 AM   #271
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,762
Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
Well, iron lung sound a lot like Iron Man, so it's gotta be cool, right?
Yes...it was especially...cool...how he could...only talk when...the machine...put air through...his mouth.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 10:46 AM   #272
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,762
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
Go spread those lies somewhere else. In the fifties I think there were over a million cases a year of measles and about 500 deaths a year. 60 years later I'm sure most of those lives would be saved by modern medicine.
The same modern medicine you are denying.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 10:50 AM   #273
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,762
Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
They've also completely wiped out melancholia and dementia praecox.
Bad bile and dark humor also seem to have been eradicated.


(except in alt-med circles)
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 10:52 AM   #274
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,762
Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
'Modern medicine' would include vaccinations.

Unfortunately, human stupidity is the most resilient parasite of all.

I...I can't! What have they done to me! Help!
Beer.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 11:45 AM   #275
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,868
Quote:
The idiocy is the belief that children, after what, 600,000 years are now becoming autistic because they are genetically disposed to.
200 000. There were no humans around 600 000 years ago.

Edit to add
Quote:
Go spread those lies somewhere else. In the fifties I think there were over a million cases a year of measles and about 500 deaths a year. 60 years later I'm sure most of those lives would be saved by modern medicine.
I couldn't care less what you think. This is a sceptic's forum, we try to base our posts on verified facts. The facts in this case are that the diseases prevented by vaccines still take lives -- like most any disease. In fact, nothing in the world has a 100% survival rate.
__________________
In choosing to support humanitarian organizations, it's best to choose those that do not have "militant wings" (Mycroft, 2013)

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 30th May 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 07:57 PM   #276
000063
Philosopher
 
000063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,310
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Beer.
Yeah, that's a good idea! I'll drink beer, and then harder and harder liquor, and eventually I won't need to drink anything at all! It's like a breatharian, except with just liquid! Thanks, tsig!

Last edited by 000063; 30th May 2011 at 08:00 PM.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 10:19 PM   #277
Clayton Moore
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,508
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
200 000. There were no humans around 600 000 years ago.

Edit to add
I couldn't care less what you think. This is a sceptic's forum, we try to base our posts on verified facts. The facts in this case are that the diseases prevented by vaccines still take lives -- like most any disease. In fact, nothing in the world has a 100% survival rate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Evolution

Quote:
Homo sapiens idaltu (roughly translated as "elder wise human"), the other known subspecies, is now extinct.[16] Homo neanderthalensis, which became extinct 30,000 years ago, has sometimes been classified as a subspecies, "Homo sapiens neanderthalensis"; genetic studies now suggest that the functional DNA of modern humans and Neanderthals diverged 500,000 years ago.
Tell me about your bs facts. Show me a study of the numbers of autistic children who didn't receive vaccinations.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 01:14 AM   #278
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,507
Unfortunately Clayton, countries with systems that could tabulate autism are also countries where all the kids get vaccines. That doesn't mean there are no kids with autism in places with no vaccines. There's just no one there to diagnose them with autism.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 01:27 AM   #279
TSR
Illuminator
 
TSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,783
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
.
... the very first para of which states:
Quote:
Anatomically modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago.
.
Foot bullet much?
.
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
Tell me about your bs facts. Show me a study of the numbers of autistic children who didn't receive vaccinations.
.
Maurice Hilleman developed the MMR vaccine starting in 1963.

The term "autism" was first used in 1911 by Eugen Bleuler.

Leo Kanner and Hans Asperger (among others) were diagnosing autism in the 1940s.

None of these gentlemen's patients could possibly have received the MMR vaccine, and yet each was diagnosed with having ASD.

Of course, then there's this, but there are lots of big words in that so let me simplify: the physical / genetic / chemical composition of an autistic brain is different than that of a non-autistic brain. Unless you can demonstrate that these differences are caused by vaccines (and further, why the vast majority of children receiving vaccines do *not* show these differences,) your lies about vaccines are shown to be just that.
.

Last edited by TSR; 31st May 2011 at 01:30 AM.
TSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 02:10 AM   #280
Clayton Moore
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,508
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
200 000. There were no humans around 600 000 years ago.

Edit to add
I couldn't care less what you think. This is a sceptic's forum, we try to base our posts on verified facts. The facts in this case are that the diseases prevented by vaccines still take lives -- like most any disease. In fact, nothing in the world has a 100% survival rate.
I know personally the parents of maybe 10 young children including my granddaughters. 3 of the little boys are autistic. Where is your skepticism? You actually think 22 different vaccines couldn't screw up a baby's brain.

Vaccines aren't freaking pills with a specific dosage. Vaccines are live diseases, injected into a baby.

What freaking disease goes directly into the blood stream and directly into the brain? I guess the closest thing in nature would be snake venom and we all know how that works out. And then there's mosquitoes injecting malaria into the bloodstream.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.