ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags health conspiracies , vaccination , vaccine autism myth , vaccines

Closed Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 09:25 AM   #321
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by ladmo View Post
Actually, your comment is beyond disturbing. I am going to put my son's life at risk??
Edited by kmortis:  Removed personalization
I will not sacrifice my son for anything.
Your inference that you have a particular set of knowledge is misplaced arrogance. I elect to have a choice, not a mandate by you or anybody else.

I never said that vaccines create anything beyond what would affect my son. Is the general public paranoid? Yes, if the public feels vaccines are necessary and should be forced on people who don't want it.

Question: should my son die just because you want him to have a vaccine?
Um, he was commenting on the fact that your son should not be vaccinated because of the allergies. This is a known problem. Now if a very large percentage of the people around your son are vaccinated then your son is protected even though he is not. That's called Herd Immunity. But if the percentage of people being vaccinated falls then your son is now at risk. This is why it is important that we vaccinate all the people that don't have the allergic reactions to the vaccines.

Last edited by kmortis; 1st June 2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Removed previously moderated content
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 09:27 AM   #322
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I never said that vaccines create anything beyond what would affect my son. Is the general public paranoid? Yes, if the public feels vaccines are necessary and should be forced on people who don't want it.

Question: Should millions of children die because you don't think vaccines are necessary?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 10:01 AM   #323
excaza
Illuminator

Actually, your comment is beyond disturbing. I am going to put my son's life at risk??
I will not sacrifice my son for anything.
Your inference that you have a particular set of knowledge is misplaced arrogance. I elect to have a choice, not a mandate by you or anybody else.

I have no idea where you got any of this from what I said.

Last edited by kmortis; 1st June 2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Removed previously moderated content and response to same
excaza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 10:02 AM   #324
excaza
Illuminator

You do not know what you are talking about... there was no waiver.
There is a waiver. I've gotten one, nimrod. Seems like you didn't try too hard.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:11 AM   #325
Travis

I've never heard of them forcing a child that has allergic or other types of reactions to vaccines to still be inoculated.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:14 AM   #326
fullflavormenthol
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Well, it's not entirely incorrect.
Britain did suffer its worst smallpox outbreak after compulsory vaccination was introduced. It was introduced in 1853, and the worldwide epidemic was in 1871/72. So 20 years, not 40.

The vaccine didn't prevent you getting the disease, quite often. It did reduce the chance of death. There are 20th century statistics showing something like a reduction from 40% to 10%. No idea how this compares with the figures for the 1870s, though.
And I would not have written anything had it come from a legitimate source. Being wrapped in the conspiracy langauge that it was, I was taking issue with that. Good information doesn't have to be taken from bad sources.

Last edited by fullflavormenthol; 1st June 2011 at 11:59 AM.
fullflavormenthol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 10:15 AM   #327
excaza
Illuminator

You do not know what you are talking about... there was no waiver.
http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

At the bottom of this page (don't bother reading the rest of the content, I know you won't like it) are links for exemption forms for every US State, along with the relevant state statutes allowing for the waiver.

That took 2 seconds of googling. Research is hard.

Last edited by excaza; 1st June 2011 at 10:16 AM.
excaza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 11:40 AM   #328
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by excaza View Post
Swing and a miss. All three of these are airborne diseases, washing your hands is going to do jack diddly.

Washing hands was a time in the history of medicine reference.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 11:53 AM   #329
excaza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
Cool. Will hand washing prevent TB?

Last edited by excaza; 1st June 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:47 PM   #330
ladmo
Muse

At the bottom of this page (don't bother reading the rest of the content, I know you won't like it) are links for exemption forms for every US State, along with the relevant state statutes allowing for the waiver.

Don't get smug... now guess the time frame that my child was in school. My statement still stands.
ladmo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 12:52 PM   #331
Arisia
Muse

I figured there'd be a clearinghouse for such information on the internet for parents of vaccine-allergic children to use (my daughter has no allergies, thank goodness, so she's had every childhood vaccination available, even the ones not mandated by the state of Massachusetts), because it doesn't make sense to me that any of the 50 states would require vaccination for children that are allergic.
Of course, these days, I hope it's an uphill battle getting an exemption/waiver for anything besides proven medical necessity (you can get them for religious reasons, too, if I'm not mistaken), since herd immunity is on iffy footing in some places right now. For instance, I know there are quite a few cases of Measles in the Boston metro area right now.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 01:12 PM   #332
TSR
Do you know what this notorious criminal did?

Don't get smug... now guess the time frame that my child was in school. My statement still stands.
Why should we guess -- if you think it is significant, just tell us.

The statement about exemption still stands.
My apologies once again for not being allowed to use the obvious shorthand term for a person who knowingly posts untruths. Apparently someone finds that term uncivil, demonstrated and deserved as it is.
"My family is not my weakness, Max. It's my strength." Vince Faraday aka The Cape
TSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 02:04 PM   #333
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Was this a serious question?
U betcha. You don't see anyone answering it. Must have hit a nerve.

Last edited by Clayton Moore; 1st June 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 02:13 PM   #334
Philosopher

Yes you did, Clay; our collective funny bone.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 02:26 PM   #335
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by Grassy Knowlington View Post
CM - I do not wish to be intrusive but I have a child who was diagnosed Aspergers (at one point Autism was considered but then dismissed) and would like to hear your experience.
Actually they were the son of a close friend of my son, the grandson of my son's Godmother, and the son of a friend I know from poker games.

So my only contact has been through conversation about them.
Old 1st June 2011, 02:34 PM   #336
Tomblvd
Muse

U betcha. You don't see anyone answering it. Must have it a nerve.
Actually, if you reread your question, you will see it essentially answers itself:

[quote=Clayton Moore;7239155]
Originally Posted by TSR View Post

[url="http://www.cdc.gov/features/rubella/"]From 1963-1965, a rubella epidemic swept across the globe. In the United States alone, there were about 11,000 fetal deaths and 20,000 infants born with congenital rubella syndrome, a group of birth defects that can occur in an infant when its mother is infected with rubella during pregnancy.[/URL

What did we read? Rubella is mild with children.

Rubella is dangerous to unborn babies. That means the danger lies with women at child bearing age.

So why are year old babies getting a Rubella vaccination?
Who takes care of "year old babies"? Who among women of child bearing age tends to associate most closely?

If you think about babies, their mothers and pregnant women, you'll understand.
Tomblvd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 02:46 PM   #337
Clayton Moore
Banned

[quote=Tomblvd;7241705]Actually, if you reread your question, you will see it essentially answers itself:

Who takes care of "year old babies"? Who among women of child bearing age tends to associate most closely?

If you think about babies, their mothers and pregnant women, you'll understand.
HMMMM. So instead of pushing rubella vaccine for all 10 year old girls who haven't already become immune, all babies get it?
Old 1st June 2011, 02:58 PM   #338
Tomblvd
Muse

[quote=Clayton Moore;7241746]
Originally Posted by Tomblvd View Post
Actually, if you reread your question, you will see it essentially answers itself:

HMMMM. So instead of pushing rubella vaccine for all 10 year old girls who haven't already become immune, all babies get it?
I don't understand what point you are making here. Where are you getting these "10 year old girls who haven't already become immune"? And how is this an either/or? Are you saying we are withholding vaccines from an at-risk group to immunize infants?

Your statement makes no sense.
Tomblvd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 03:22 PM   #339
ladmo
Muse

Why should we guess -- if you think it is significant, just tell us.

The statement about exemption still stands.
Back up your claim with facts. There were not always exemptions. If you want to back up your claim provide the facts. If not, do not make the claims...
ladmo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 04:10 PM   #340
tsig
a carbon based life-form

A time of what?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 04:14 PM   #341
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Back up your claim with facts. There were not always exemptions. If you want to back up your claim provide the facts. If not, do not make the claims...
You might just want to post whatever point you have.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 04:53 PM   #342
Clayton Moore
Banned

Babies can be born with all sorts of potential reactions to things. Of course we only find out about them when they actually have these reactions. But I suppose we should go the safer course and just keep all babies in a plastic bubble just in case.
Good idea. You can thank woman's lib for that.
Old 1st June 2011, 06:50 PM   #343
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Are you in the same thread as the rest of us?

Spectrum Scientifics - My store - Google it people!
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 07:55 PM   #344
TSR

You have been offered facts.

Then you make additional claims about when exemptions began.

Claims that are strangely missing those fact thingies.

*Prove* that exemptions have not been available as long as mandatory exemptions have, or do not make the claim.
My apologies once again for not being allowed to use the obvious shorthand term for a person who knowingly posts untruths. Apparently someone finds that term uncivil, demonstrated and deserved as it is.
"My family is not my weakness, Max. It's my strength." Vince Faraday aka The Cape
TSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 08:01 PM   #345
ladmo
Muse

You have been offered facts.

Then you make additional claims about when exemptions began.

Claims that are strangely missing those fact thingies.

*Prove* that exemptions have not been available as long as mandatory exemptions have, or do not make the claim.
You are completely wrong... the "facts" were written well before my case. Plain and simple...

No additional claims have been made... state the additional claims. Excaza said posted exemptions well before my child went to school... all I asked was to provide the claims that pertain. It wasn't provided and if you think it was... then your mind was already made up.

I am still looking for the facts.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:12 PM   #346
TSR

You are completely wrong... the "facts" were written well before my case. Plain and simple...

No additional claims have been made... state the additional claims. Excaza said posted exemptions well before my child went to school... all I asked was to provide the claims that pertain. It wasn't provided and if you think it was... then your mind was already made up.

I am still looking for the facts.
Is there a particular reason you will not tell us in what year your child went to school (and in which state), so your claim can be verified? That *was* your claim, that no exemption was available when you child went to school.

Only a couple things missing: those little, you know, fact thingies you were whining about.

Last edited by TSR; 1st June 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:24 PM   #347
Travis

Yes, because babies can still get it and can pass it on. And trying to figure out who's immune at some later age is just stupid.

What are getting on about here?
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:18 AM   #348
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Is there a particular reason you will not tell us in what year your child went to school (and in which state), so your claim can be verified?.
To be fair, that's the sort of information that I probably wouldn't want to pass on to strangers on a public forum.

Dave

- Fabian Stang, Mayor of Oslo

SSKCAS, covert member
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:41 AM   #349
Tolls
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fullflavormenthol View Post
And I would not have written anything had it come from a legitimate source. Being wrapped in the conspiracy langauge that it was, I was taking issue with that. Good information doesn't have to be taken from bad sources.
Fair point on the source, though I have to say it does seem to be a large amount of kookery using the 1871/2 epidemic as a stick to hit vaccination with. Trying to find some real, actual, quality data is nigh on impossible...at least during "in work procrastination time".

I would be curious as to the death rate from smallpox during that outbreak compared with, say, the 1839 one. Though those statistics may simply not be available.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:05 AM   #350
TSR

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
To be fair, that's the sort of information that I probably wouldn't want to pass on to strangers on a public forum.
First thought: Because there are so very few children starting school in most states in any given year it would make it child's play to find this person's son and force vaccinations on him?

Tell you what: one of my children started school in the state of Texas in the early nineties. Any other information you can tell me about me or her?

Second thought: That being the case, I would recommend that you not try to make a point by using your own family as an example with no other supporting information and expect it to be taken at face value.

Last edited by TSR; 2nd June 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:19 AM   #351
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

First thought: Because there are so very few children starting school in most states in any given year it would make it child's play to find this person's son and force vaccinations on him?
Pointless. Assuming the state has reasonably well kept records, they already have the information required. No, it's more that this is the Internet, and anyone can read what's posted here.

Tell you what: one of my children started school in the state of Texas in the early nineties. Any other information you can tell me about me or her?
No, but I'm not a creepy Internet stalker. Having just witnessed the RLBatypocalypse (see Forum Management Feedback) I'm a little more mindful of privacy issues this week.

Second thought: That being the case, I would recommend that you not try to make a point by using your own family as an example with no other supporting information and expect it to be taken at face value.
It's a bit difficult to know where to draw the line between, on the one hand, respecting privacy and hence accepting anecdotes without proper verification, and on the other, dismissing any and all personal anecdotes because they're unsupported. I'm prepared to believe that, at the very least, ladmo may not have been clearly informed of any waiver rights that may have existed at the time his children were vaccinated. I've also known enough medical professionals who've delivered lectures on the importance of vaccination at inappropriate times - for example, complaining about people who refuse vaccinations while actually giving a vaccination, which is at best utterly pointless - to find it plausible that individuals may not have chosen to publicise any such waivers as strongly as they should.

But at the heart of the issue is the Hippocratic Oath, which quite categorically forbids a doctor from carrying out a vaccination that will cause a known allergic reaction; this clearly constitutes harm.

Dave

- Fabian Stang, Mayor of Oslo

SSKCAS, covert member
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:35 AM   #352
Tolls
Graduate Poster

Then all ladmo has to do is show that before a certain year in State X that there was no exemption available for vaccinations. We don't need an actual year, just a notice that prior to some date there was no exemption.

Hell, pick any state to show it, doesn't even have to be the real one involved...because at the moment it's just an "it's true because I say so" statement, and we currently have the list of exemptions provided earlier.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:03 AM   #353
excaza
Illuminator

Ok then, where's your facts to back up your claim that there were not always exemptions?
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:07 AM   #354
Travis

There have always been exemptions as long as there has been a requirement for vaccination. I think it should be proven that there was ever a time when any state didn't give out exemptions before we start getting hung up on any particular year.
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:30 AM   #355
TSR

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Pointless. Assuming the state has reasonably well kept records, they already have the information required. No, it's more that this is the Internet, and anyone can read what's posted here.

No, but I'm not a creepy Internet stalker. Having just witnessed the RLBatypocalypse (see Forum Management Feedback) I'm a little more mindful of privacy issues this week.
No, the point being that this is not a privacy issue, since the information requested does not invade anyone's privacy any more than the initial claim did.

And keep in mind that we were invited to guess when zir son attended public school.

If you, or zie, consider it to be a privacy issue, then it should not have been brought up in the first place. *Zie* is the one demanding facts, and refusing to supply them. As has been pointed out, zir position seems to be arguing that mandatory vaccinations are generally a bad thing because zir son might have had a bad reaction.

Either an exemption *was* granted and the child was allowed to attend without vaccination < zie says not >, or no exemption and the child did not attend public school < zie says son did >. The two claims contradict each other.
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:14 AM   #356
carlitos
"más divertido"

This thread does nothing to disabuse me of the notion that anti-vaxxers don't have facts or an argument.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:32 AM   #357
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
This thread does nothing to disabuse me of the notion that anti-vaxxers don't have facts or an argument.
They often have that effect.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:58 AM   #358
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Are you in the same thread as the rest of us?
Thread? How about decade.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:00 AM   #359
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Antivaxxers?

Is questioning the wisdom of OVER vaccinating babies anti vaccine?

Is wanting to spreading vaccinations over period of time anti vaccine?
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:08 AM   #360
Clayton Moore
Banned

Yes, because babies can still get it and can pass it on. And trying to figure out who's immune at some later age is just stupid.

What are getting on about here?
Quote:
Babies can be born with all sorts of potential reactions to things. Of course we only find out about them when they actually have these reactions. But I suppose we should go the safer course and just keep all babies in a plastic bubble just in case.

Woman's lib eliminated much of what was left of that bubble.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories