ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 25th May 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
RLBaty's Argument for/against Atheism

IN another thread,RLBaty has presented the following argument:
Quote:
THE INFERENCE FROM ATHEISM ARGUMENT

Major Premise:

> IF man was able to originate the idea/concept of
> God through the power of imagination, as opposed
> to reason and/or revelation, THEN man did originate
> the idea/concept of God through the power of
> imagination.

Minor Premise:

> Man was able to originate the idea/concept of God
> through the power of imagination, as opposed to
> reason and/or revelation.

Conclusion:

> Man did originate the idea/concept of God through
> the power of imagination.
To which he elaborated further:

Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
Just to be crystal clear,

(1)

My argument is valid.

(2)

Atheists believe it has true premises.

(3)

I don't believe it has true premises.

(4)

Someone reported:

- "The argument (Daniel Dennett's) is much more
- subtle than this, of course, and riddled with
- competing and unproven theories, but Dennett's
- point is NOT that science knows how religion
- evolved naturally, but that it has several
- ideas, and that all them are more plausible
- than the existence of a supernatural entity."

Should there be any serious dispute about the validity of my argument or that atheists believe its premises to be true, I will consider devoting more ministry time to help you with your problems regarding such fundamental, UNcontroversial matters.
I wish to have this thread as an opportunity for RLBaty to defend his statement 3.
RLBaty,
Why do you believe the premises to be false?

ETA:Note that the title's ambiguity reflects the ambiguity of RLBaty's approach to the discussion and I did not wish to mischaracterize it.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser

Last edited by joobz; 25th May 2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: corrected silly double negative...grrr
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall
 
Brainache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 17,157
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
...
I wish to have this thread as an opportunity for RLBaty to defend his statement 3.
RLBaty,
Why do you not believe the premises to be false?

...
Ummm... I guess the question is why RL Baty doesn't believe the premises to be true...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Ummm... I guess the question is why RL Baty doesn't believe the premises to be true...
Dang you Double negative!!!!!

thanks!
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 09:25 PM   #4
RLBaty
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 321
I had wishes too, but none here would act in good faith in order that they might be realized.

So, pardon me if I think the conversation should take a different, reasonable course, step by step.

So, let's try this again and see if any progress can be made regarding my argument and the claims I make for it.

I will, with the setting up of this thread, try to resist the temptation to further patronize the anonymous snipers who may be intent on carrying on in that other thread.

I will, in this thread, try to resist the temptation to respond to any poster except "joobz".

Here's how I propose the chat here should proceed:

Is my argument so constructed that if its
premises are true its conclusion will follow
as true therefrom?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - ???

Do atheists believe the premises of my
argument to be true?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - ???

Is the major premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - ???

Is the minor premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - ???

Why do atheists believe the premises to
be true?

- To be discussed

Why doesn't RLBaty believe the premises to
be true?

- To be discussed
RLBaty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 09:37 PM   #5
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,167
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
Why doesn't RLBaty believe the premises to
be true?

- To be discussed
Needs to be explained by yourself before it can be discussed. Bet that wonít happen any time soon.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a godís existence have been greatly exaggerated.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 09:49 PM   #6
yy2bggggs
Master Poster
 
yy2bggggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,435
RLBaty:

I laud moving the discussion away from GIBHOR's thread... over 60% of that thread was devoted to reaction to you, and I think poor GIBHOR simply abandoned it.

People are free to, and may, post to this thread as well. I suggest after getting agreement from joobz to proceed, should that be granted, you take another strategy. If you click on a person's name right above their avatar picture, a menu pops down. One of the entries in this menu is to add a person to your ignore list. It'd be easier to ignore people if you don't see them.
yy2bggggs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,682
Akhenaten has a birthday
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 02:37 AM   #8
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
I will answer your questions as a means of facilitating discussion.

Is my argument so constructed that if its
premises are true its conclusion will follow
as true therefrom?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - Yes

Do atheists believe the premises of my
argument to be true?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - For the most part, yes.

Is the major premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - For the most part, yes.

Is the minor premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - For the most part, Yes.

Why do atheists believe the premises to
be true?

I answered in the affirmative with this question as I believe it will help facilitate discussion. Note that I am using imagination in the loosest possible sense of the term, that god is a product solely of the mind.

Our mental capacity is consistent with humans from at least 100,000 years ago. As such observations of modern human capacity is likely to have existed in humans 100,000 years ago.

Briefly, The human cognitive modelling system exists to improve social interactions. This system allows for us to construct mental models of others to predict behaviors and know how our behavior will/can adjust their behavior. The heart of this model is the ability to assign agency (intent of action) to another human. This system has the unfortunate side effect of assigning agency to things that are not developed by a mind (e.g., weather patterns) and a supernatural mind begins to emerge as an explanation for these things.

In other words, the evolving concept of god that has emerged in humans is effectively a form of Pareidolia.

There is additional bits of evidence that are supportive to this point
1. such as the recorded evidence of a "God spot" in the brain, which when stimulated can recreate sensations of supernatural splendor.
2. the fact that people use the same self-model to decide their moral actions and the moral actions god would want them to do (instead of another moral action site).

We will leave it there for now.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 03:03 AM   #9
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 28,492
OK, I'll bite.

Is my argument so constructed that if its
premises are true its conclusion will follow
as true therefrom?

- Dave Rogers - Yes.

Do atheists believe the premises of my
argument to be true?

- Dave Rogers - No.

Is the major premise of my argument true?

- Dave Rogers - No

Is the minor premise of my argument true?

- Dave Rogers - Yes.

Why do atheists believe the premises to
be true?

- I don't. It is not necessarily the case that, if Man was able to etc. etc., that Man necessarily did etc. etc. This is based on a form of the fallacy of affirming the consequent; it reverses the trivial conclusion that, if Man did originate the idea/concept of God through the power of imagination, then it is possible for Man to have originated the idea/concept of God through the power of imagination.

I would argue that it is possible for Man to have originated the idea/concept of God through the power of imagination, that centuries of determined study have not produced compelling evidence for the existence of God, and that therefore the provisional, working conclusion to be reached, pending further evidence, is that God does not exist. This is a deduction from informal logic, not formal logic; I would further argue that formal logic is of no use in resolving this question.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 04:23 AM   #10
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,384
Considering that confirmation bias, pattern recognition and associative learning are all part of the biology of brains, it seems to me that they do not fit into the categories of reason, imagination or revelation. Each of those processes are involved in the perception of qualities that may or may not be valid.

So the argument is limited and false in its simplistic categorizations. As an atheist I willing to discuss that there are alternatives to the three categories and that imagination is most likely not the reason at all for the idea of gods and beliefs in gods.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 26th May 2011 at 04:25 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 04:33 AM   #11
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
I had wishes too, but none here would act in good faith in order that they might be realized.

So, pardon me if I think the conversation should take a different, reasonable course, step by step.

So, let's try this again and see if any progress can be made regarding my argument and the claims I make for it.

I will, with the setting up of this thread, try to resist the temptation to further patronize the anonymous snipers who may be intent on carrying on in that other thread.

I will, in this thread, try to resist the temptation to respond to any poster except "joobz".

Here's how I propose the chat here should proceed:

Is my argument so constructed that if its
premises are true its conclusion will follow
as true therefrom?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - ???

Do atheists believe the premises of my
argument to be true?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - ???

Is the major premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - ???

Is the minor premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - ???

Why do atheists believe the premises to
be true?

- To be discussed

Why doesn't RLBaty believe the premises to
be true?

- To be discussed
This atheist doesn't give a toss about your argument.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 05:24 AM   #12
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Why is the idea of god special?
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
What a hypocritical hoot that is!

Wasn't it that poster who was found recently trying to quote someone else to try and explain what he thought "valid" was all about!

No problem though.

I appreciate the demonstration and what it says about what I have been dealing with here for the last couple of weeks or so.

Y'all are welcome to your own opinions about that.
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
I had wishes too, but none here would act in good faith in order that they might be realized.

So, pardon me if I think the conversation should take a different, reasonable course, step by step.

So, let's try this again and see if any progress can be made regarding my argument and the claims I make for it.

I will, with the setting up of this thread, try to resist the temptation to further patronize the anonymous snipers who may be intent on carrying on in that other thread.

I will, in this thread, try to resist the temptation to respond to any poster except "joobz".

Here's how I propose the chat here should proceed:

Is my argument so constructed that if its
premises are true its conclusion will follow
as true therefrom?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - ???

Do atheists believe the premises of my
argument to be true?

- RLBaty - Yes
- Joobz - ???

Is the major premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - ???

Is the minor premise of my argument true?

- RLBaty - No
- Joobz - ???

Why do atheists believe the premises to
be true?

- To be discussed

Why doesn't RLBaty believe the premises to
be true?

- To be discussed

Still wondering why the god idea is special.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 05:41 AM   #13
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Considering that confirmation bias, pattern recognition and associative learning are all part of the biology of brains, it seems to me that they do not fit into the categories of reason, imagination or revelation. Each of those processes are involved in the perception of qualities that may or may not be valid.

So the argument is limited and false in its simplistic categorizations. As an atheist I willing to discuss that there are alternatives to the three categories and that imagination is most likely not the reason at all for the idea of gods and beliefs in gods.
In principle, I agree with you. But for purposes here, I think it acceptable to lump all forms of mental creationg of god into the imagination category. The way I am taking his point (and I hope this is what he means, as it would be a rather silly argument otherwise? Is god was either:
Deduced through sound mental reasoning.(reason)
Put into man's mind by an external, potential divine source.(revalation)
Or was a creation of mans mind through any inventive mechanism.(imagination)

These categories aren't perfect, and overlap exists, with neuances being glossed over. But they are acceptable for the current discussion.
If his point or retorts attempt to expoilt the loss in detail that occurs from this course graining, we will address it then.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 06:33 AM   #14
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Major Premise:

> IF man was able to originate the idea/concept of
> God through the power of imagination, as opposed
> to reason and/or revelation, THEN man did originate
> the idea/concept of God through the power of
> imagination.
This tripe has nothing to do with with atheism. When choosing between a natural or divine origin for god concepts, an atheist would not choose the divine option. Duh. This doesn't require the burden of a defense, explanation, or any sort of theory as to how humans came up with a god concept or any other brain fart. Who knows, exactly, and who cares?

The claim that a particular idea is impossible for humans to muddle toward over a vast amount of time, however, does require an explanation, especially when that idea is some unspecified god concept. So what the heck? Why is the wish-fulfilling fantasy of god blather so hard to come up with?
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 07:15 AM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,369
In other words, the burden of evidence is on the claimant. Someone claims God exists. Prove it.



As for this particular post, well, I would point out that religions transform into other religions and this is well-documented. Yahweh used to be part of a pantheon, of the hated Caananites (?), from whom these proto-Jews split, some of them "Yahwhists" who wanted a monotheistic god, and so they pared away the other members of the pantheon, including Ishtar, Yahweh's girlfriend.


I used to joke that modern religious apologists would explain that by suggesting Satan had pre-planted that stuff knowing what would happen in centuries to come, so as to just make it seem like Judaism evolved from earlier stuff. Then I read writings by some 4th century guy who said exactly that, since the stuff existed and must be explained.
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 26th May 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 07:28 AM   #16
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14,609
I think the problem is the major premise, which is impossible to support. Replace "God" with "elephants" and you can see what I mean. Just because it would be possible for humans to imagine something, doesn't necessarily mean that that thing originated with humans.

Ultimately that major premise seems dangerously akin to solipsism to me. I mean, equally I could definitely imagine a blue car outside even if I hadn't seen that particular combination before, but that doesn't necessarily make it a figment of my imagination.

The dominant argument for atheism doesn't really go through that premise. That's more like just an explanation for why such a concept would appear in the absence of a god, but at that point you're already done with rejecting a god on other grounds.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 07:46 AM   #17
RLBaty
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 321
Joobz,

Before attempting to move along with our chat, I will give you the opportunity to counsel the numerous interlopers who appear to have showed up.

See my message #4 above.

As my experience here has demonstrated, those people don't much listen to me.

So, before I proceed in my chat with you, I will give you time to counsel those who are having trouble getting the message about your intentions regarding the setting up of this thread, according to your wishes and contrary to mine, and my intentions in accommodating your interests and compromising my own.

Any who wish to obtain my personal response and chat directly with me, can find me via the website found in the "contact" section of my information page here.

Anonymous applicants need not apply.
RLBaty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 07:55 AM   #18
devnull
Philosopher
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 6,057
Blah blah blah

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

Joobz, would you classify the human propensity for anthropomorphism as "imagination"? Would you classify pareidolia as "imagination"? Mental illness?

Im not entirely comfortable with that, although I agree the distinction is unimportant at this point.... Until RLBaty's argument hinges on "imagination", and suddenly you want to change the definition
__________________
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 07:56 AM   #19
RLBaty
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 321
As previously discussed with joobz, I will be attempting to mirror the relevant parts of this discussion on my discussion list.

Joobz would not agree to cooperate in that wish of mine for the discussion he has proposed. So, among other things, it will slow the pace of the exchange down a bit.

If any here is concerned about me leaving out what you think is an important part of this discussion of these important public issues, you are welcome to come around my place (see earlier message for how to find it) and add your comments.
RLBaty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 07:57 AM   #20
devnull
Philosopher
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 6,057
Oh good lord.
__________________
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:10 AM   #21
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
As previously discussed with joobz, I will be attempting to mirror the relevant parts of this discussion on my discussion list.

Joobz would not agree to cooperate in that wish of mine for the discussion he has proposed. So, among other things, it will slow the pace of the exchange down a bit.

If any here is concerned about me leaving out what you think is an important part of this discussion of these important public issues, you are welcome to come around my place (see earlier message for how to find it) and add your comments.
I am busy all day but have received word from darat that a moderated debate will be possible. I will work out particulars in pm.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:13 AM   #22
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,682
Akhenaten has a birthday
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
Joobz,

Before attempting to move along with our chat, I will give you the opportunity to counsel the numerous interlopers who appear to have showed up.


If I were you, I'd go straight to the 'moving along with your chat' part.


Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
See my message #4 above.


Something about ignoring everyone but joobz, as I recall.

You failed.


Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
As my experience here has demonstrated, those people don't much listen to me.


That truly is a mystery. What could possibly account for this?

Any clues?


Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
So, before I proceed in my chat with you, I will give you time to counsel those who are having trouble getting the message about your intentions regarding the setting up of this thread, according to your wishes and contrary to mine, and my intentions in accommodating your interests and compromising my own.


You're funny.


Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
Any who wish to obtain my personal response and chat directly with me, can find me via the website found in the "contact" section of my information page here.

Anonymous applicants need not apply.


Is that a virtual stampede I hear?
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:14 AM   #23
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,682
Akhenaten has a birthday
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Oh good lord.


Is that your major or minor premise?
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:22 AM   #24
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,384
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
Joobz,

Before attempting to move along with our chat, I will give you the opportunity to counsel the numerous interlopers who appear to have showed up.

See my message #4 above.

As my experience here has demonstrated, those people don't much listen to me.

So, before I proceed in my chat with you, I will give you time to counsel those who are having trouble getting the message about your intentions regarding the setting up of this thread, according to your wishes and contrary to mine, and my intentions in accommodating your interests and compromising my own.

Any who wish to obtain my personal response and chat directly with me, can find me via the website found in the "contact" section of my information page here.

Anonymous applicants need not apply.
You are stalling, you do not have to read those posts or respond to them, seriously Joobz should not counsel anyone and that is a weak excuse for you to avoid tehd iscussion.

I suppose next time you post this kind of tripe it can be reported as off topic. You can just look for Joobz avatar and ignore the rest.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:26 AM   #25
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14,609
Also, I'm sorry, Baty, but if you want to have a 1-on-1 chat, there are already private messages for that. Snide remarks about other forum members not treating it as some private conversation are kinda cute as a substitute for actually supporting a broken argument, but ultimately irrelevant. If something is supposed to be a private conversation, then it should be a private conversation, not a public thread.

Not to mention that if one argument is supposed to be valid and sound for joobz, then it ought to be valid and sound for everyone else. There is no such thing as The Gospel... err... Logic According To St Joobz, and The Logic According To St Baty, and The Logic According To St Dave Rogers, and so on

Also not to mention that if something is supposed to be representative of some premises that atheists agree to, then I would think it should be relevant what a random sample of atheists actually think about those premises. You can't base such a generalization on a sample of 1, be it Joobz or anyone else.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:40 AM   #26
RLBaty
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by joobz View Post

I am busy all day but have received word
from darat that a moderated debate will
be possible.

I will work out particulars in pm.

I was content to proceed here, but I'll put my further participation on hold until I hear further from you regarding another option.

I already knew that a moderated chat was possible; the details being the only stumbling block to producing such a thing.

Beware of your course, however, joobz!

That you claim you are going to work out the details suggests that you think you can, unilaterally, design the construct of the event. You are welcome to give that a try, but I suspect you are going to have trouble designing and producing such a thing without negotiating important details with me and without me being able to negotiate important details with any who may presume to participate and/or moderate such an event.

For example, for purposes of such an event, one of my requirements is that there be no anonymous participants, including moderators. Confirming identities and basic employment, education, etc. background details would be a reasonable and normal process for setting up the context of the discussion.

Assorted other details would also have to be, Randi-like, negotiated.

You know me, though. I'll go with the flow and see where it is you are wanting to take this thing.

I'll try to rest up for whatever might come down the pike.

There's a big holiday weekend coming up around here. So, it may be that not much is going to change over the course of the next few days.
RLBaty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:45 AM   #27
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
Joobz,

Before attempting to move along with our chat, I will give you the opportunity to counsel the numerous interlopers who appear to have showed up.

See my message #4 above.

As my experience here has demonstrated, those people don't much listen to me.

So, before I proceed in my chat with you, I will give you time to counsel those who are having trouble getting the message about your intentions regarding the setting up of this thread, according to your wishes and contrary to mine, and my intentions in accommodating your interests and compromising my own.

Any who wish to obtain my personal response and chat directly with me, can find me via the website found in the "contact" section of my information page here.

Anonymous applicants need not apply.
as I move forward with getting a moderated debate with you, why not reply to my good faith response to your argument.

As you can see, jref is not monolithic and people here have a variety of very valuable ideas. I do not speak on their behalf and am not so presumptuous to think I could.

To devull. I agree it is a shakey issue to lump those effects into imagination.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:47 AM   #28
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
I was content to proceed here, but I'll put my further participation on hold until I hear further from you regarding another option.

I already knew that a moderated chat was possible; the details being the only stumbling block to producing such a thing.

Beware of your course, however, joobz!

That you claim you are going to work out the details suggests that you think you can, unilaterally, design the construct of the event. You are welcome to give that a try, but I suspect you are going to have trouble designing and producing such a thing without negotiating important details with me and without me being able to negotiate important details with any who may presume to participate and/or moderate such an event.

For example, for purposes of such an event, one of my requirements is that there be no anonymous participants, including moderators. Confirming identities and basic employment, education, etc. background details would be a reasonable and normal process for setting up the context of the discussion.

Assorted other details would also have to be, Randi-like, negotiated.

You know me, though. I'll go with the flow and see where it is you are wanting to take this thing.

I'll try to rest up for whatever might come down the pike.

There's a big holiday weekend coming up around here. So, it may be that not much is going to change over the course of the next few days.
If anonimity is a deal breaker, we are done.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:48 AM   #29
devnull
Philosopher
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 6,057
So, there's his out.

Move along people, nothing to see here.
__________________
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:48 AM   #30
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 29,521
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
For example, for purposes of such an event, one of my requirements is that there be no anonymous participants, including moderators. Confirming identities and basic employment, education, etc. background details would be a reasonable and normal process for setting up the context of the discussion.
No, it isn't. It's coming across as a little bit creepy that you keep wanting to know personal details.

Your arguments will address other arguments, not the arguer. Any questions?

Quote:
Assorted other details would also have to be, Randi-like, negotiated.
You'll find the details in the MA, everyone signing on here, including you, has already agreed to them. You're welcome!

Quote:
You know me, though. I'll go with the flow and see where it is you are wanting to take this thing.

I'll try to rest up for whatever might come down the pike.

There's a big holiday weekend coming up around here. So, it may be that not much is going to change over the course of the next few days.
Take some time, get some advice from your religious handlers. Good idea.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:51 AM   #31
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 28,492
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
Confirming identities and basic employment, education, etc. background details would be a reasonable and normal process for setting up the context of the discussion.
Why? I have a doctorate from Oxford University and am employed as a research scientist; is an argument coming from me more or less valid than the exact same argument coming from an unemployed high school dropout?

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:51 AM   #32
RLBaty
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by joobz View Post

If anonimity is a deal breaker,
we are done.

That impasse is so noted.

If you prefer, we can continue here and see how it goes.

The interlopers are welcome to do as they wish. Such activity, given the context of the discussion, adds important information for evaluating the exercise, as does the demand from you and/or moderators that you maintain your anonymity.

Keep me advised.

I've got some mirroring to do, and other things, and so it will be awhile before I get back to responding to your response to my first message; if that is the course you wish to take.
RLBaty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 08:59 AM   #33
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,995
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
That impasse is so noted.

If you prefer, we can continue here and see how it goes.

The interlopers are welcome to do as they wish. Such activity, given the context of the discussion, adds important information for evaluating the exercise, as does the demand from you and/or moderators that you maintain your anonymity.

Keep me advised.

I've got some mirroring to do, and other things, and so it will be awhile before I get back to responding to your response to my first message; if that is the course you wish to take.
Let's continue here. Please respond to my current argument, post 8.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 09:03 AM   #34
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 41,748
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post
I was content to proceed here, but I'll put my further participation on hold until I hear further from you regarding another option.
"RLBaty", for someone who was content, you seemed to be doing a lot of grumbling.

Quote:
For example, for purposes of such an event, one of my requirements is that there be no anonymous participants, including moderators.
Why, "RLBaty"?
Quote:
Confirming identities and basic employment, education, etc. background details would be a reasonable and normal process for setting up the context of the discussion.
What possible reason do you have for needing those details?
Quote:
Assorted other details would also have to be, Randi-like, negotiated.
"Randi-like"? What does that mean?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 09:13 AM   #35
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14,609
Heh, yeah, this is starting to look more and more surrealistic. Having to negotiate participation and reveal personal details just to... what?... see RLBaty actually support an argument he's made on a public board? That's got to be one of the most Poe-worthy stall attempts I've seen in a while.

I must remember it for when I say something silly

Last edited by HansMustermann; 26th May 2011 at 09:15 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 09:23 AM   #36
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,682
Akhenaten has a birthday
Originally Posted by RLBaty View Post

<stuff>

The interlopers are welcome to do as they wish.

<other stuff>


That's very big of you.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 09:25 AM   #37
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,682
Akhenaten has a birthday
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Why? I have a doctorate from Oxford University and am employed as a research scientist; is an argument coming from me more or less valid than the exact same argument coming from an unemployed high school dropout?

Dave


I invented RLBaty's god, so I reckon I should get a look in too.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 09:36 AM   #38
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,672
How long til he's asking for the long form birth certificate?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 11:48 AM   #39
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Heh, yeah, this is starting to look more and more surrealistic. Having to negotiate participation and reveal personal details just to... what?... see RLBaty actually support an argument he's made on a public board? That's got to be one of the most Poe-worthy stall attempts I've seen in a while.

I must remember it for when I say something silly
It does seem passing strange that he's setting conditions to make an argument when he's been claiming that he already won the argument.

Last edited by tsig; 26th May 2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spell
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2011, 11:53 AM   #40
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
How long til he's asking for the long form birth certificate?
Actually, I'll need to see a permission slip signed by all your great grandparents before you can participate in this thread.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.