ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 30th May 2011, 08:07 PM   #1
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Finding Bigfoot

The police car video looks exactly like a black bear running across the highway to me.

Can't figure what the fuss is about, other than trying to hype sales of bigfoot related items.

There appear to be no skeptical people on the team.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 08:20 PM   #2
autumn1971
Graduate Poster

Was this merged? I don't know the video you mean.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 08:23 PM   #3
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There's a show on Animal Planet called Finding Bigfoot. The current episode centers around a police car dash cam video of "bigfoot" running across a highway.

They were just out in the woods near the spot "calling" and hearing "tree knocks" in response.

Dash cam video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFL7H...ailpage#t=260s

Last edited by LTC8K6; 30th May 2011 at 08:26 PM.
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 08:28 PM   #4
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Now showing two photos of what are obviously bear tracks.

Old 30th May 2011, 08:30 PM   #5
autumn1971
Graduate Poster

Wow. That video is crappy. I could only tell that there was movement of any kind across the road when it was zoomed in on. Even then I only saw a shape crossing a road.
I think I saw an Ivory Billed Woodpecker flying alongside it, though.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

This is possibly the silliest bigfoot program I've ever seen.

Old 30th May 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like they just cast some bear tracks.

Old 30th May 2011, 08:59 PM   #8
xblade
Muse

Matt Moneymaker is one of the "expert" investigators. That pretty much says it all.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 09:01 PM   #9
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

More hokey junk...people howling in the woods and throwing things...

The best prints he's ever seen...

Old 30th May 2011, 09:02 PM   #10
xblade
Muse

And of course, after catching what looks like bigfoot on FLIR, and hearing a bigfoot scream, they pack up and leave, lol.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 09:31 PM   #11
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, they continue the traditional pattern of finding a bigfoot and then leaving the area...

Old 30th May 2011, 10:24 PM   #12
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

I always wondered why these Bigfoot hunters always seem to leave or run away when they should be running after the thing. I mean, even if you are horribly mauled or killed it would be worth it if you could get that one perfect video/photo!

Oh, and the video is so obviously a bear it's not even funny. It's hard to make out all four legs in the dark but the few flashes you get are all in the proper places for a four legged run cycle.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 10:46 PM   #13
River
Illuminator

It's vague. It's blurry. You can't really tell wtf it is.

Yep, it's a bigfoot alright. I think that is what qualifies as bigfoot footage these days.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 11:02 PM   #14
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think you can tell it's a 4x4...

Old 31st May 2011, 04:51 AM   #15
Drewbot
Illuminator

It is such a crappy video.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 05:33 AM   #16
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

There are plenty of bears in Lumpkin County, GA. I've seen a number of them on the roads at night.
Old 31st May 2011, 06:07 AM   #17
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
I mean, even if you are horribly mauled or killed it would be worth it if you could get that one perfect video/photo!
errr, no it wouldn't. I see bigfoot is still spawning madness wherever he isn't seen
perhaps its an evolutionary survival tactic

Last edited by Marduk; 31st May 2011 at 06:25 AM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 06:13 AM   #18
C_Felix
Graduate Poster

I think anyone claiming they know what is in the video needs to tell me how they are so sure looking at that blurry, black on black, two seconds of legs or something.
Bigfoot?
Bear?

I have no idea what I'm seeing.
Could be a bear.
But, ya know what? I can't tell for sure.

The whole show, I'm thinking, "Moneymaker reminds me of someone...who is it?"

Then about halfway through, "Meatloaf! He's a Meatloaf with short hair!"
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 06:16 AM   #19
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
There are plenty of bears in Lumpkin County, GA. I've seen a number of them on the roads at night.
Seriously. A guy in my motorcycle club hit one on GA60, just outside Dahlonega.
Old 31st May 2011, 06:41 AM   #20
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

I can't tell what it is, either. But my first guess wouldn't be bigfoot.
Old 31st May 2011, 06:59 AM   #21
mustbeso
Thinker

Is it common practice for the police to run video at al times? I was under the impression that they turned the camera on at traffic stops. Who is the civilian riding in the police car and why is she there? The entire show was the same old same old and actually had my hoax flag flying from the get go. Many of the scenes seemed soft scripted and I could Matt and the boys cooking most of the witness testimony in a production meeting.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 07:09 AM   #22
The Shrike
Master Poster

Looked "gallopy" to me, and it's quadrapeds that gallop. So my default hypothesis is black bear. Oh wait, I'm forgetting about bigfoot 4x4 mode. They use that for the extra burst of acceleration when it offers an advantage over bipedal running with their mid-tarsal breaks.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 07:56 AM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The entire program can be watched online here. It's divided into 7 parts. Part 7 might not be so easy to get to, but it is here.
Old 31st May 2011, 08:01 AM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We had some initial discussion about this program over in this thread.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:20 AM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6
The police car video looks exactly like a black bear running across the highway to me.
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Looked "gallopy" to me, and it's quadrapeds that gallop. So my default hypothesis is black bear.

I'm seeing a biped. An upright running biped. The figure is totally black with no definitive features. The gait is like a running human attempting to cross the road as quickly as possible.

I'm going with a Bigfoot encounter hoax. The uniform blackness of the subject indicates a costume or other suggestive clothing. The timing of the road crossing almost guarantees that the occupant(s) will see the hoaxer.

Somebody was pretending to be a Bigfoot.

Watch it here at 2:55 and with either 720p or 1080p. Do not make opinions if viewing with a lower resolution than those two choices. IMO, it is absolutely not a bear - it is absolutely a biped.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:28 AM   #26
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxqO3fAFXuU

I still think that's what I see. The way the bear runs, when viewed from the side, is interesting. I am only able to watch in 480 on this office computer though. When I get home I will be able to watch in 1080.

Old 31st May 2011, 09:42 AM   #27
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Watch it at the specific time I suggested at high-resolution. The video has been shown numerous times in the Animal Planet production (and You Tube) but not all versions are the same clarity. Go for the one I posted.

Last edited by William Parcher; 31st May 2011 at 09:44 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 10:07 AM   #28
mustbeso
Thinker

I agree with William Parcher, it has all the hallmarks of a hoax. Why was the police officer not interviewed? Do any of you know if the video in police cars in Georgia runs constantly. It seems more than odd that it is running in what is alleged to be a very rural area with a civilian passenger who's presense in the car is not explained. The women who is supposed to be the skeptic in the group seems just as credulous as the rest and the comments by the group throughout the program suggest numerous sightings in the past. Barrackman(sp?) tells us that where bigfoot once walks he is likely to walk again and that 'headwaters are always good' suggesting habituation yet again but STILL no biological evidence or even a good picture. I think this series will be a puff piece for the BFRO and nothing else with the same tired "evidence" we have all come to know and love.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 10:29 AM   #29
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
There appear to be no skeptical people on the team.
Right, and my prediction was accurate...

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
3. The program's cast member Skeptic has been specially selected for being soft on Bigfootery, and an inability to consistently provide good alternative explanations for everything that the program's cast member Believers bring forth.
Ranae Holland is completely devoid of any meaningful Bigfoot skepticism or ability to respond with critical thinking. Either she was ruthlessly edited or she is a paid shill who doles out skepticism like a wonderous child, or really not much different than the cast Believers. She is only different because she only just happens to be a scientist. This is almost certainly by design on the part of the producers.

If a truly critically-thinking skeptical scientist with good pre-knowledge of the specific details of Bigfootery Delusion and Fantasy Promotion had been cast in that role it would have probably brought the program production to a standstill. My goodness, we have to change the program title to "Finding Deluded Bigfoot Believers With Obvious Bias Towards Fantasy Games".
Old 31st May 2011, 10:45 AM   #30
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

At the BFF...

Originally Posted by masterbarber
I can't believe they went forward with the dashcam video, as evidence, even though it was investigated by the local Sheriff and found to be a prank.
Originally Posted by bipedalist
I was confused as to whether the Ga. Highway Patrol dashcam vid. that was described/used in the show was the same as the incident investigated by the Sheriff near Athens, Ga. So they are the same incident/film?
The above was in an ignored mini thread at BFF.

The main thread on the program mostly gives thumbs-up. Same thing on Cryptomundo review comments. Overall, the Bigfoot Believers seem to like the program.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:21 PM   #31
sadhatter
Philosopher

If anyone has seen the movie "Feast" my tirade here may make a bit more sense.

I have always held the opinion that if i ever encountered a cryptid ( or for that matter any supernatural beasty that can be hurt.) , i would take the route of the first hero in the films , kill one and drag it somewhere where i can throw it on the ground and say " ******* look, here it is, debate over, kiss my ***" otherwise i am just going to seem like some crank making stuff up.

But suspiciously this train of thought has not occured to one bigfoot promoter. They always seem to go in armed for...nothing. And when they find one, they just bugger off after getting some sketchy video of it.

Assuming mountains of evidence isn't enough this has always been my final nail in the coffin for bigfoot crap. Your telling me not one of these gun toting, flannel wearing, pick up driving folks has had the same thought?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 12:37 PM   #32
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I had heard of one dash cam video that was a prank. I didn't realize this was the same incident. If it actually is, then there are claims that it was a prank, but the story is vague so far.

The picture of the pranksters and their suit hasn't shown up yet.

Old 31st May 2011, 02:12 PM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Bigfoot ‘sighting' lures TV network

Quote:
...Sheriff Stacy Jarrard claims to have proven the (dash cam) sighting to be a hoax. Jarrard said he went out the next day to question homeowners in the area. At the first house he stopped at, he says, there were two young men, students at North Georgia College & State University, who were "acting really nervous. You could see their hearts were beating really fast," he says.

The two did not admit to the prank right away, but later in the week they copped to one of them donning a gorilla suit and running across the road in front of vehicles on the night in question. Jarrard says he even has a photograph of the two boys with the gorilla suit.
Old 31st May 2011, 06:34 PM   #34
MD 20/20
Student

Originally Posted by mustbeso View Post
I agree with William Parcher, it has all the hallmarks of a hoax. Why was the police officer not interviewed? Do any of you know if the video in police cars in Georgia runs constantly. It seems more than odd that it is running in what is alleged to be a very rural area with a civilian passenger who's presense in the car is not explained. The women who is supposed to be the skeptic in the group seems just as credulous as the rest and the comments by the group throughout the program suggest numerous sightings in the past. Barrackman(sp?) tells us that where bigfoot once walks he is likely to walk again and that 'headwaters are always good' suggesting habituation yet again but STILL no biological evidence or even a good picture. I think this series will be a puff piece for the BFRO and nothing else with the same tired "evidence" we have all come to know and love.
That particular video unit is in a constant state of recording. It will track back approx. 90 seconds when you hit the record button or activate Blue Lights/Siren.
The Sheriff investigated the incident, it was a prank, AP apparently couldn't resist the "entertainment" value and was not interested in truthful reporting.

Last edited by MD 20/20; 31st May 2011 at 06:36 PM.
MD 20/20 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 07:26 PM   #35
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by MD 20/20 View Post
The Sheriff investigated the incident, it was a prank, AP apparently couldn't resist the "entertainment" value and was not interested in truthful reporting.

The finger really needs to be pointed at the cast members. They are essentially the technical advisors and researchers for this program series. The Animal Planet executives are really desk folks who are out of the loop and are probably clueless and could care less about the details of Bigfootery. AP is owned by Discovery Communications. The Finding Bigfoot program series is produced by Ping Pong Productions, Inc. and AP bought it from them. Even they are probably clueless and simply rely on the "expert" cast to guide them and provide content.

Interestingly, the civilian woman riding in the squad car was part of the program. We would at least expect that she would know that the officer had already busted the hoaxers who used a gorilla costume. Maybe it was brought up but she insisted that it couldn't have been a hoaxing college kid no matter what the cop says. That discussion, if it occured, was not included in the show. They used Bobo in a re-enactment and I thought it looked quite similar. If he was wearing a gorilla suit it may have basically been a match. The risk with that is that Bobo might have looked even more like a Bigfoot than the kid did. LOL!
Old 31st May 2011, 07:33 PM   #36
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The production company folks that actually create this series also claim credit for Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, Judge Joe Brown, various MTV stuff, How Clean is Your House, I Know My Kid's a Star, etc.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:37 PM   #37
MD 20/20
Student

Sounds good, I simply tagged the organization that televised the product.
The Deputy didn't investigate the incident determining it was a hoax, It was the Sheriff himself.

Last edited by MD 20/20; 31st May 2011 at 07:39 PM.
MD 20/20 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2011, 07:45 PM   #38
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

We need the pic of the hoaxers, otherwise it's a cover up of a real bigfoot incident.

Old 31st May 2011, 07:54 PM   #39
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Then the hoaxer pic could be a hoax too.

What's striking about this program is that it appears that it's quite easy to locate Bigfoot. You don't get the sense that it's a rare creature. Actually, it was portrayed as being the only animal they encountered.

Go to Bigfoot area. Get Bigfoot evidence. Done.
Old 1st June 2011, 06:18 AM   #40
The Shrike
Master Poster

So wait, is this a case-closed hoax? I know that I'm 0 for ? when I disagree with something that Parcher says is on a photo or video, but even in HD the split-second black blur in the video looks like a split-second view of a galloping black bear to me.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal