ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 16th November 2012, 07:21 PM   #1521
Sonny2
Muse

From Bigfoot Evidence:

How sweet is this? MSNBC's The Cycle aired an awesome segment Monday afternoon with Bobo from Finding Bigfoot, where one co-host suggested to him that perhaps Bigfoots are mythical animals like mermaids and unicorns. Bobo explained to the host that it's a ridiculous notion because no one has reported seeing unicorns in the woods. Awesome response, right? When asked about evidence, Bobo mentioned ongoing projects such as Dr. Sykes' Oxford study and brought up dermal ridges that are found on footprint casts.

What a bunch of clowns.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 01:11 AM   #1522
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
From Bigfoot Evidence:
no one has reported seeing unicorns in the woods.

and nobody has reported a bigfoot underwater.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 08:50 AM   #1523
Sonny2
Muse

Actually, I bet there's been more unicorns reported in the woods than not.

But when I was in Oregon as a kid, I had some friends tell me they'd seen BF go into a lake and that they live in underwater caves that have air pockets.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 11:04 AM   #1524
Jodie
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
and nobody has reported a bigfoot underwater.
No, there are several reports of bigfoot underwater or swimming.

http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/...-can-swim.html

http://www.bcscc.ca/sasquatch.htm

http://www.texasbigfoot.com/index.ph...ot-description

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/calaveras.htm

http://www.gcbro.com/ARdrew003.htm

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7382

I stopped there, but there are plenty.
Old 19th November 2012, 04:29 PM   #1525
DennyT
Master Poster

Moneymaker: "We deal with a lot of liars."
Old 19th November 2012, 05:51 PM   #1526
Sonny2
Muse

Or, maybe...we lie in a lot of deals...
Old 19th November 2012, 05:52 PM   #1527
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Moneymaker: "We deal with a lot of liars."

Moneymaker: Cows are people food.
Old 19th November 2012, 06:11 PM   #1528
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by River View Post
Moneymaker: Cows are people food.
monkeymaker makes monkey tv for money
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 04:41 PM   #1529
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

The Joke's on us.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-debut/157300/

Year three is increasing viewership over year two, which increased over year one.

Fortunately our leadership position in education categories like mathematics, science, and language skills demonstrates this should be no concern of ours. I think we are ahead of both Bhutan and the Interior Congo.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:07 AM   #1530
Sonny2
Muse

Fortunately our leadership position in education categories like mathematics, science, and language skills demonstrates this should be no concern of ours. I think we are ahead of both Bhutan and the Interior Congo.
And our lack of good science education (one that includes logic and learning how to test hypotheses) is what is leading to more and more gullibility and thus the popularity of shows like this.

I enjoy the Bigfoot phenom but sometimes it seems kind of sad that so many people are so gullible. But hey, I have a science education (MS from a major univ.) and I had a big question mark about BF for a year or two, wondering if it might not exist - read the BFRO sightings, scared myself out camping, really thought it might be possible until I dove into it a little deeper. But I was kind of enjoying the whole thing and deep inside knew it couldn't be real, though sometimes I wondered.

My point being that even people with a generally skeptical mindset can be drawn in - for awhile - but I think they eventually come up for air while others just stay underwater, letting their brains slowly drown.

Last edited by Sonny2; 21st November 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:12 AM   #1531
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The Joke's on us.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-debut/157300/

Year three is increasing viewership over year two, which increased over year one.

The show is entertaining, but it does not advance the cause of bigfootery.

I find the show hilarious at times.

I think it is reinforcing the silliness of the belief.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 04:12 PM   #1532
Sonny2
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

^^^ this
Old 26th November 2012, 11:23 AM   #1533
The Shrike
Master Poster

Caught the "Oklahoma City" episode last night - classic stuff.

I especially enjoyed the overhead shot of some llamas or alpacas running around in a pasture juxtaposed against what sure looked like llama or alpaca hair that the team handed over to their DNA scientist (you know, the guy wearing the lab coat) for testing. Almost seemed like the producers were planting info to help the team look like bungling fools . . .
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:27 AM   #1534
Sonny2
Muse

Did they have a great revelation about BF DNA like everyone was waiting for?
Old 26th November 2012, 11:39 AM   #1535
The Shrike
Master Poster

Their ace DNA tester dude revealed to them that the hairs had a medulla and that the tips had never been cut. (As everyone knows, those two characters rule out every known organism except sasquatch.) Sadly, though, he was unable to test the DNA - it had degraded.

Shocked, I was.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 12:14 PM   #1536
Sonny2
Muse

I bet the squirrel (or alpaca) that lost that hair was shocked too, to learn it was a Bigfoot. Who wudda guessed?
Old 26th November 2012, 01:48 PM   #1537
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

I feel the same way, insofar as it looking even stupider than I could have imagined.

But does it not remain an empirical question whether belief in bigfoot across the population at large is higher now as a consequence of this show?

My experience with adolescents graduating public high schools and entering my university courses was that they were well-trained to sit down, shut up, and regurgitate. I wanted to smack them across the forehead when they said things like "I don't know what you want me to say".

That kind of noncritical mind is easy prey for bigfoot propaganda. Currently the belief in the USA is running at about 29% of the public:

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/4441...han-canadians/

Bigfoot, USA, did not even exist until the late 1950's. Despite the spectacular success of the PGF, Bigfoot didn't become widely known until television started making it a subject of their shows. Now of course you have both TV and this amazing spawn of organizations.

In the survey above, 77% of the respondents had heard either a moderate or great deal about Bigfoot. If they have not heard of it, they can't very well have decided it exists. So therefore it is more like 29/77 = 38% of the people who hear about bigfoot end up believing in it.

Thus, the key to getting a lot of believers is widespread propaganda. It only convinces a minority of the people you are reaching, but it is apparently a pretty strong minority.

That's how you get the percentage of belief from statistically zero in 1950 to 29% now, and a maximum of 38% once everyone in the USA has been exposed to bigfoot.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:56 PM   #1538
Sonny2
Muse

And people are so extremely skilled at taking a quick sentence or two they hear from a friend who heard it from another friend who read it on the internet and making it into a fact they now believe. Part of the overdosed on data but underdosed on analysis of said data mindset.
Old 26th November 2012, 02:01 PM   #1539
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

Originally Posted by River View Post
I tried to watch a couple of times. I'll save you the trouble. Here is a typical transcript.

Repeat x ∞ = the entire season

Pretty much the same as Most Haunted, Ghost Adventures and all of those other pointless shows that seem to be on at dinner-time. Nothing puts me off my din dins more'so than seeing up Dereck Ackora's nose in nightvision.
Old 26th November 2012, 06:21 PM   #1540
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Their ace DNA tester dude revealed to them that the hairs had a medulla and that the tips had never been cut. (As everyone knows, those two characters rule out every known organism except sasquatch.) Sadly, though, he was unable to test the DNA - it had degraded.

Shocked, I was.
The bigfoot howls were priceless.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 07:16 PM   #1541
Sonny2
Muse

Yep, if you've ever heard a wolf, you've heard a Bigfoot.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:30 AM   #1542
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I know lots of people that watch Finding Bigfoot. None of them actually believe in Bigfoot. The one person I know that does believe in the creature does not watch the show.

Hell I watch it all the time myself if only because I find it hilarious how they poo poo Renae's skepticism and declare everything to definitely be evidence of Squatches.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #1543
The Shrike
Master Poster

^I think it's funnier if you're not too active in bigfoot skepticism. For those of us daily involved in the bigfoot saga, I think it's more apt to raise our ire because we see all the time how gullible people get taken in by this nonsense. That's my reaction at least. I can laugh at it, but eventually I just end up angry with what they're allowed to get away with on national television.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:56 PM   #1544
Sonny2
Muse

I'm amazed and disconcerted with how gullible people can be. This cryptic stuff is a good example. Sure, for some, it's just a fun hobby, but a lot of them are on the crux of true belief. Get them out in the woods at night and the power of suggestion can prove that - they become instant converts, wanting nothing more than to go home, back to safety.

I get pretty disgusted at the whole human race sometimes with how we'll believe about anything with no rational thought at all. I think we're devolving, the survival of the fittest maxim now being thwarted by civilization.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:43 PM   #1545
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I know lots of people that watch Finding Bigfoot. None of them actually believe in Bigfoot. The one person I know that does believe in the creature does not watch the show.

Hell I watch it all the time myself if only because I find it hilarious how they poo poo Renae's skepticism and declare everything to definitely be evidence of Squatches.
Sure, Travis. And 'footers that watch it know lots of people who also watch and believe. That's a correlation that makes sense - bleevers hanging out together on BFF and skeptics hanging out together here.

So we have to use random survey methods as opposed to sampling amongst our own kind. And those surveys are pretty amazing for the proportion that believe.

Unfortunately we have to face facts here that this country is full of morons. It is getting worse, too. The newest generation is doing worse than the last:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/09/opinio...ion/index.html

23rd in Math. 31st in science amongst 65 industrial countries.

Allow me to go out on a huge limb here and suggest a correlation between science performance and belief in woo.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:57 PM   #1546
Sonny2
Muse

23rd in Math. 31st in science amongst 65 industrial countries.

Allow me to go out on a huge limb here and suggest a correlation between science performance and belief in woo.
Not much of a limb, IMO, the facts speak for themselves. This same lack of rational thinking leads us eventually back into the Dark Ages when all kinds of bad stuff happened because of human superstition.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:50 PM   #1547
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, if you've ever heard a wolf, you've heard a Bigfoot.
My dog is imitating bigfoot? I had no idea she'd ever heard one...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:51 PM   #1548
Sonny2
Muse

My dog is imitating bigfoot? I had no idea she'd ever heard one...
LOL your dog's a wolf?
Old 27th November 2012, 09:03 PM   #1549
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

LOL your dog's a wolf?
She howls...I always thought she was imitating her wolf ancestors, but now I know she has been around bigfoot...

Old 27th November 2012, 09:24 PM   #1550
Sonny2
Muse

Well, DNA shows that dogs are descended from wolves, so I guess you're right.

Can you picture a chihuahua being related to a wolf? LOL Or worse yet, a weener dog? Hey, stop biting me, Krautz. Hang on a minute...OK, he quit. (I have to be careful what I say, he's smarter than I am.)

If she howls, she's not imitating Bigfoot, she IS Bigfoot, cause that's what all those recordings are, wolf howls, like the San Juan Howler and all those. Stan Courtney has lots of recordings of wolves howling.

PS I know exactly where that 666 sign used to be, but they changed the name of the highway, as you well know.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:16 AM   #1551
kittynh
The Hupsu Detective

auctioneer

Let's talk BOBO! Finding Bigfoot or not?

http://yankeeskeptic.com/2012/11/30/...nding-bigfoot/

I give my rant, in which I try to be very fair to the show.

But, honestly, throwing a rave?

What do you think of Bobo and his rather unscientific methods....
Old 30th November 2012, 09:29 AM   #1552
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kittynh View Post

As you've noted, Bobo surfs, as does bigfoot. How do you think it got to Hawaii? It resides there in remote areas like the Pali coast of Kauai and the seacliffs of Molakai, waiting for the sets, and tossing the occasional pig.

I can lead expeditions, $800 a day, plus expenses.

ETA: There's even a song about it.

Biff the magic Bigfoot hides by the sea
and tosses pigs into the surf
on a beach near Hanalei.

Big Ole chimp-boy Bobo loved that rascal Biff
Went searching for him high and low
until he fell off a cliff.

Not much of a song mind you . . .

Last edited by Resume; 30th November 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 09:40 AM   #1553
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Clearly, they're running out of ideas for "things to do." The howls and knocking are getting old. I rarely watch an entire episode at once. It's always the same thing over and over. It really should be called "Talking Bigfoot." Why they continue to act as if activities that make the most amount of noise and commotion will attract BF, I can't imagine. The only explanation is that they really don't want any real animals coming anywhere near them, because honestly, these people (with the exception of Ranae) would have no idea what to do if they were to encounter any actual wildlife.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:45 AM   #1554
Sonny2
Muse

What to think of Bobo?

In it for the money and ego, nothing more. Just like the rest of them.
Old 30th November 2012, 01:18 PM   #1555
River
Illuminator

I think the spanish translation for his nickname is fitting for his TV persona. Seems like a cool guy though. Probably very funny to hang out with. As for science? It's bigfoot! No science required.
Old 30th November 2012, 02:00 PM   #1556
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kittynh View Post

The rave was to coordinate with the Jack Links commercial that aired during the broadcast, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUshQPL8r4

Old 2nd December 2012, 07:18 PM   #1557
AttorneyTom
Muse

Hey !

New "show" tonight. One thing I can say about them is that they have polished up their act. Ie... In the old days that just made up stuff and tried to justify it.. now they just make it up and move along to the next thing. No need to explain anything ! Such fun.
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:58 PM   #1558
Sonny2
Muse

Sometimes I'm glad I don't have a TV.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:12 PM   #1559
mustbeso
Thinker

I watched a bit of Finding Bigfoot tonight, first I've seen of the new season. Favorite tidbit was the "fact" that pepper spray does not work on bigfoot as it is apparently incapable of sneezing. This was once again known from eyewitness accounts. The thousands of things they 'know' about bigfoot gets funnier everyday.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:44 PM   #1560
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Sneezing?

What about their eyes?

Do the beams counter the spray?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal