ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2012 elections , Gary Johnson , libertarianism , presidential candidates

Old 12th July 2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Gary Johnson shows the better side of being a GOP Presidential candidate

This article caught my eye.
Quote:
The freedoms that our forefathers fought for in this country are sacred and must be preserved. The Republican Party cannot be sidetracked into discussing these morally judgmental issues — such a discussion is simply wrongheaded. We need to maintain our position as the party of efficient government management and the watchdogs of the “public’s pocket book.”

This "pledge" is nothing short of a promise to discriminate against everyone who makes a personal choice that doesn’t fit into a particular definition of "virtue."
Well done, Mr. Johnson. I'm very impressed and refreshed to see this viewpoint has not been completely extinguished from the GOP.

I don't like all his stances on various issues, namely this and this, but based on my limited research into the guy, he's someone who could maybe give Obama a good run for his money in the next election. It's a shame he's not likely to get his party's nomination.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Bri
Philosopher

He's a strong libertarian and gets compared to Ron Paul a lot (some say he is more libertarian than Paul). So he is more neutral on social issues than other GOP candidates.

According to a Huffington Post article, he wants to repeal Obama's health care legislation. He also said he would bring spending down by raising the retirement age and making other changes to Social Security and reducing spending on defense, Medicare and Medicaid by 43 percent each. The latter two programs would become block grants controlled by the states. He also supports legalizing marijuana as a way to eliminate much of the violence along the Mexico border.

According to this article from the Washington Examiner, he wants to eliminate the Department of Education. On trade and economics, he opposes tariffs and other government interventions. He thinks that the Department of Commerce "might be a good one to eliminate." He opposes stimulus spending and bailouts, and said that the banks should have been allowed to fail.

-Bri
Bri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I'm not saying he doesn't have problems. I'm just saying he's better on some issues.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 09:42 AM   #4
IllegalArgument
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I'm not saying he doesn't have problems. I'm just saying he's better on some issues.
Yes, but considering that Bri posted, it's pretty sad, he is consider the more reasonable GOP candidate.

Sam Harris is the Ann Coulter of atheists.

When you get to be my age you realize the wannabecoolself wins when it stops trying to hide the geekself. -- Garrette
IllegalArgument is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Bri
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Sure, well any libertarian would be better on social issues if you believe that the government should stay out of social issues.

-Bri
Bri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics