ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Windy
Student

Question Dear Evolutionists

Please.
Indulge me.
Post some links, pics...

Of any fossil beyond homo-erectus,
Of any species,
In mid evolution.

Come on evolutionists!

We got billions of fossils on this earth...
And I got all the time in the world.
Windy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Windy
Student

I'm not trying to be rude!
But out of billions of fossils,
Shouldn't each species,
Have at least ONE fossil record,
Of it's evolution?

Super curious here.

SUPER curious here.
Windy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:52 PM   #3
inn
Muse

Birdosaur

Last edited by inn; 13th July 2011 at 07:54 PM.
inn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Alan
Illuminator

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsid...aeopteryx.html
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Windy
Student

I can't say I expect many replies to my first post,
Since they don't exist.
But I'm sure someone's gonna get ticked.
I'm not being rude,
Just pointing out,
That there is no fossil record,
For all the species.

Simplest proof of a disaster.
But please,
I'm cordially inviting you all,
To prove me wrong.

I am aware of there possibilities,
Of three species.

But there are thousands of species,
There should be thousands of fossils.

Skeptics...
Please.
Teach me.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html#CC200
Old 13th July 2011, 07:55 PM   #7
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

Originally Posted by Windy View Post
I'm not trying to be rude!
Shouldn't each species,
Of it's evolution?

Super curious here.

SUPER curious here.
Nope, the fossil record is not "required" to preserve everything, and you have a strange idea that species are distinct entities rather than fuzzily defined categorisations of populations. Fossilisation is rare at the best of times, and most species that have existed will have gone extinct without any fossilisation events preserving them.

The good thing is that life is rather promiscuous, and as a result we can create a very reasonable and accurate timeline of evolutionary development based on the fossils we do find. These fossils have all confirmed the prevailing modern Theory, not challenged it.

Good luck in your quest to show that evolution is false though, I look forward to your thesis on the obvious replacement for the modern synthesis which is...?
nvidiot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Windy
Student

I see completely formed limbs in those pictures'
Apparently,
My request is not yet understood.

NEXT.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

Hi Windy.

How about starting with proof of something that you yourself believe.
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:57 PM   #10
GeeMack
Banned

Please.
Indulge me.
Post some links, pics...

Of any fossil beyond homo-erectus,
Of any species,
In mid evolution.

Come on evolutionists!

We got billions of fossils on this earth...
And I got all the time in the world.

Here's a link to over a million and a half pictures of fossils that are in intermediate stages of evolution.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:58 PM   #11
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

But there are thousands of species,
There should be thousands of fossils.

Skeptics...
Please.
Teach me.
There are billions of fossils of individuals representing millions of species.

I suggest a visit to a natural history museum. Without "creationist" in the title.
nvidiot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Windy
Student

Thesis?
Simple truth requires no thesis.
Each major species,
Should have a record.

There are billions of fossils.

And here yet understands the simple truth of my demands.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Alan
Illuminator

Apparently,

NEXT.
It seems you have to learn what evolution is.
http://talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Windy
Student

The google image search is roflcopterz

None of those pictures on the first page are in mid evolution,
We have very much the same alive today.
Some species extinct,
But that's ALL there is to say.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:00 PM   #15
GreenLines
Critical Thinker

Shouldn't each species,
Of it's evolution?
I see no reason why each species should be required to have at least one fossilized evidence of its existence.

Let me switch this around on you,
And tell you to search for fossils of these three:
Duck billed platypus, dodo, bald eagle.
If you can't find fossilized evidence of each,
Then why should there be,
A need,
To have EVERY species fossilized.

Side note, how far does your telepathy extend? I'd be interested in knowing if you could read what I'm thinking as I'm typing this sentence.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:01 PM   #16
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

Thesis?
Simple truth requires no thesis.
Each major species,
Should have a record.

There are billions of fossils.

And here yet understands the simple truth of my demands.
What's a "major" species. And what makes you think it "should" have a record?

You have no truth, just assertions. Skeptics tend to ask for, you know, evidence. That's how science gets done.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:01 PM   #17
inn
Muse

Apparently,

NEXT.
You obviously don't know what a transitional form even is. What are you looking for, something unrecognizable? You share a lot of common DNA with a carrot you know?
inn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:02 PM   #18
Windy
Student

Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
Nope, the fossil record is not "required" to preserve everything, and you have a strange idea that species are distinct entities rather than fuzzily defined categorisations of populations. Fossilisation is rare at the best of times, and most species that have existed will have gone extinct without any fossilisation events preserving them.

The good thing is that life is rather promiscuous, and as a result we can create a very reasonable and accurate timeline of evolutionary development based on the fossils we do find. These fossils have all confirmed the prevailing modern Theory, not challenged it.

Good luck in your quest to show that evolution is false though, I look forward to your thesis on the obvious replacement for the modern synthesis which is...?
Yeah it's rare.
We still have billions of fossils on earth.

NEXT.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:03 PM   #19
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Windy: What we consider a "species" is an arbitrary designation used by us for our own convenience. Nature does not see things in the form of "species". There isn't an "A" that suddenly becomes a "B" that later transforms into "C". Evolution doesn't have "stops" that we call "species" in that way. They're all arbitrary points on a piece of string that occasionally branches out. Every fossil out there has a home somewhere on that branching piece of string.

And we can see easily enough the evolution of humans even in these modern times. The average height of humans has risen, what, six inches in the past two thousand years?
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:03 PM   #20
GeeMack
Banned

The google image search is roflcopterz

None of those pictures on the first page are in mid evolution,
We have very much the same alive today.
Some species extinct,
But that's ALL there is to say.

Every living thing is in an intermediate stage of evolution. If you don't understand that, you're starting in the wrong place with your questions. You need to go study up on evolution as a science.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:04 PM   #21
EdipisReks
Custom Title

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
The average height of humans has risen, what, six inches in the past two thousand years?
that depends on which population you are talking about, which proves the point even more.

"I read the Book Of Mormon once. Wasn't it about Uma Thurman, um, thrumming a Theremin?"
--epepke (9-22-2004)
EdipisReks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:07 PM   #22
Windy
Student

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
Every living thing is in an intermediate stage of evolution. If you don't understand that, you're starting in the wrong place with your questions. You need to go study up on evolution as a science.
Use of the term homo-erectus

Was proof enough I've studied.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:09 PM   #23
Windy
Student

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Edited by LashL:  Removed quote of moderated content.

Wow.
Someone who believes humans came from apes,
While there are STILL apes,
Thinks I'm stupid.

Brutally offended here.
Hurt to the core.

NEXT.

Last edited by LashL; 15th July 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:10 PM   #24
dropzone
Master Poster

Oh, and by the way, we are ALL, if fossilized, transitional forms. There is no big red line between species.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:11 PM   #25
Windy
Student

Billions of fossils.

First post has not yet been met.

Yaaaawnz
Old 13th July 2011, 08:14 PM   #26
MG1962

Windy - how do theists like me fit into your world view. I believe in God and unreservedly accept evolution and the story the fossil record tells of the journey of life on this planet
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:18 PM   #27
Windy
Student

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Windy - how do theists like me fit into your world view. I believe in God and unreservedly accept evolution and the story the fossil record tells of the journey of life on this planet

Alright,
I'll bite.

You know... The devil believes in God too.

It doesn't mean much.

So.
Where do you fit?

Tell me,
Which evolved first,
The chicken,
Or the egg?
Old 13th July 2011, 08:18 PM   #28
GeeMack
Banned

Edited by LashL:  To remove quote of moderated content.

You will let us know when you've looked over those million and a half pictures of fossils I linked, won't you?

Last edited by LashL; 15th July 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:23 PM   #29
Windy
Student

You will let us know when you've looked over those million and a half pictures of fossils I linked, won't you?

Apparently,
Dis dood didn't comprehend.

I can find a million things alive today,
That looked exactly like,
The first 20 pages.

NEXT.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:25 PM   #30
Windy
Student

I win.

Goodnight.

~.~
Old 13th July 2011, 08:28 PM   #31
GeeMack
Banned

Apparently,
Dis dood didn't comprehend.

I can find a million things alive today,
That looked exactly like,
The first 20 pages.

Oh, that's because all those things in those fossils are in intermediate stages of evolution. You see, if evolution wasn't occurring that's when the fossils would look just like things alive today. Science is very interesting that way. You keep at it, go another couple hundred thousand pictures then check back and let us know what you've learned.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:35 PM   #32
Windy
Student

Oh, that's because all those things in those fossils are in intermediate stages of evolution. You see, if evolution wasn't occurring that's when the fossils would look just like things alive today. Science is very interesting that way. You keep at it, go another couple hundred thousand pictures then check back and let us know what you've learned.

Look guys,
The question's not hard.
Billions of fossils,
Means millions and millions
Should have half wings, or half arms.

I only asked for a handful...
And the world's leading stronghold of skeptics,
Can't deliver, a handful?

Pssh.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:36 PM   #33
GreenLines
Critical Thinker

I win.

Goodnight.

~.~
You make my head hurt.

Sleep well, Charlie.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:40 PM   #34
Windy
Student

Originally Posted by GreenLines View Post
You make my head hurt.

Sleep well, Charlie.

Thank you for proving my first post on this server.
Skeptics make me laugh,
And I make them cringe.

I am,
The wind.

~.~
Old 13th July 2011, 08:42 PM   #35
phunk
Illuminator

Look guys,
The question's not hard.
Billions of fossils,
Do you think that arms have to evolve away before wings can evolve in their place?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:42 PM   #36
GreenLines
Critical Thinker

Thank you for proving my first post on this server.
Skeptics make me laugh,
And I make them cringe.

I am,
The wind.

~.~
And Eric Cartman is The Coon.

Glad to provide entertainment.

You sure do make a lot of accusations.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:46 PM   #37
GeeMack
Banned

Look guys,
The question's not hard.
Billions of fossils,

I only asked for a handful...
And the world's leading stronghold of skeptics,
Can't deliver, a handful?

Pssh.

Oh, what you have there is an argument from ignorance. Your lack of understanding the science of evolution doesn't invalidate it. Do let us know when you've looked over a few hundred thousand fossil images. And how about you sort them and put them in order of the ones that most resemble each other. It's not the most scientific way to learn about evolution, but since you're probably looking for something appropriate for a grade school kid, it might get you started.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:46 PM   #38
Windy
Student

Originally Posted by GreenLines View Post
And Eric Cartman is The Coon.

Glad to provide entertainment.

You sure do make a lot of accusations.
Why bother to fantasize,
About a reality that doesn't exist,
When we are first discussing a reality,
That supposedly exist?

I don't care which comes first,
No can deliver,
Because it doesn't exist.

Shame no one gets it,
But the golden ones,
Who shut up,
Earlier in the thread.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:55 PM   #39
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Edited by LashL:  Removed quote of moderated content.
Your question was answered. But the very fact that you asked it betrays your ignorance of the theory of evolution by natural selection.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by LashL; 15th July 2011 at 09:16 AM.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2011, 08:56 PM   #40
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

You are correct, the topic of this thread is your miserably uninformed and deliberately ignorant views about the modern synthesis.

Care to provide any actual evidence that the entire biological scientific community is wrong on the ToE being the accurate description of the diversity of life on Earth?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology