ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th August 2011, 12:32 PM   #1
therival58
Critical Thinker

Question Strange Rumbling and High Pitch sounds heard from around the world

Must be aliens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_57ht7Ob8nc

Vid Title: BEST COMPILATION UFO? EARTH SOUNDS?TECTONIC PLATES SHIFTING? - Around the World 2011

Description:
Quote:
"Strange sounds of UNKNOWN origin penetrating through the earth. The phenonema has been on going for months now in various parts of the world and has been given no real explanation to how or why.
Kiev, Belarus, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, North Bergen, Victoria B.C., Alkmaar, Maryland, Scandinavia...In recent times, in many cities around the world are being heard horrifying sounds coming from heaven, and that can last more than one hour in some cases. Some report as metallic sounds, or trumpets, similar to what is known of sounds apocalyptic. Strange thing is that the sounds resemble those around the world!!..."
Text from another youtuber !!

Last edited by therival58; 26th August 2011 at 12:34 PM.
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Nah... I had my amp turned up to 11....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 04:50 PM   #3
John Albert
Illuminator

Kind of sounds like Slayer slowed down by 800%.

http://soundcloud.com/uptheirons/sla...ath-800-slower
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain

Last edited by John Albert; 26th August 2011 at 04:57 PM.
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 04:56 PM   #4
steve s
Illuminator

Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
TECTONIC PLATES SHIFTING?
Those are called earthquakes.

Quote:
In recent times, in many cities around the world are being heard horrifying sounds coming from heaven, and that can last more than one hour in some cases.
You'd think that Fox News would be all over this.

Steve S
Old 26th August 2011, 05:36 PM   #5
dafydd
Banned

I hear strange rumblings from down under,but only after I've had a vindaloo.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2011, 08:02 PM   #6
MrBooglemaumau
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Phew, for a moment there I thought you were referring to Orstraljia....how was the Vindaloo ????
MrBooglemaumau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'd love to take this topic on, but I'm afraid I'm just not in the Moodus.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Frying Dutchmen
Critical Thinker

According to the information on the web... Good to know he's done his research.
Old 30th August 2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Aepervius
Philosopher

Sound like ship or truck siren...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Flo
Illuminator

Quote:
"Strange sounds of UNKNOWN origin penetrating through the earth. The phenonema has been on going for months now in various parts of the world and has been given no real explanation to how or why.
Kiev, Belarus, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, North Bergen, Victoria B.C., Alkmaar, Maryland, Scandinavia...In recent times, in many cities around the world are being heard horrifying sounds coming from heaven, and that can last more than one hour in some cases. Some report as metallic sounds, or trumpets, similar to what is known of sounds apocalyptic. Strange thing is that the sounds resemble those around the world!!..."
Text from another youtuber !!

Drat, my low-life neighbors' sons are at it again ! They promised they wouldn't try to tackle Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-davida" ever again !

Better get ready to call the fire brigade, the historic monuments commission, and the electricity board ...
Flo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:06 PM   #11
Frying Dutchmen
Critical Thinker

So, any idea what made the first three sounds? Specially the Florida one?
Old 19th October 2011, 02:45 PM   #12
therival58
Critical Thinker

So far I haven't heard of any new theories
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Frying Dutchmen View Post
So, any idea what made the first three sounds? Specially the Florida one?
I'm currently on holiday in Florida
I didn't hear it, I am with my women
was it a kind of groaning noise ?

Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2011, 03:49 PM   #14
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
I've heard strange rumblings from down under, but I later learned they're called didgeridoo.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

I call hijinks and auditory hallucinations unless it's been verified. And if it's for real, it falls under the category of 'Weird or What?'.

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2011, 02:54 PM   #16
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by MrBooglemaumau View Post
Phew, for a moment there I thought you were referring to Orstraljia....how was the Vindaloo ????
Delicious. On a world wide level, it could be the baked beans.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2011, 02:55 PM   #17
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by IMST View Post
I've heard strange rumblings from down under, but I later learned they're called didgeridoo.
I had one once. In my case it was a didgeridon't.
Old 21st October 2011, 03:39 PM   #18
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I call hijinks and auditory hallucinations unless it's been verified. And if it's for real, it falls under the category of 'Weird or What?'.
The claim is that this was heard this year, yet this same claim was made for 2008, 2009, 2010, etc
in exactly the same words, almost as if the author has just edited the date, that can't be possible can it, thats almost supernatural editing

A little googling would turn up the baloney, but I can't be bothered
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2011, 03:42 PM   #19
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't sounds from heaven come from UP, not below the surface?

I mean, if we're keeping our stories straight....

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2011, 03:45 PM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Why would I want to spend 20 minutes listening to nonsense?
Old 21st October 2011, 07:21 PM   #21
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Why would I want to spend 20 minutes listening to nonsense?
Beats me but I get "About 29,700,000 results" when I enter the phrase | listening to nonsense | in Google.
Old 21st October 2011, 07:57 PM   #22
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by IMST View Post
When I hear it it's called "Taco Bell".
Old 21st October 2011, 08:39 PM   #23
JeanFromBNA
Critical Thinker

Isn't today supposed to be The Rapture 2.0? Do you think that maybe they got a vowel confused?
JeanFromBNA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2011, 09:00 PM   #24
ApolloGnomon
Aluminum Tripod

These were on sale this week, according to my sources in the UK.
ApolloGnomon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:56 PM   #25
George152
Master Poster

It's those vuvuzelas!
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:01 PM   #26
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
Must be aliens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_57ht7Ob8nc

Vid Title: BEST COMPILATION UFO? EARTH SOUNDS?TECTONIC PLATES SHIFTING? - Around the World 2011

Description:
Tectonic activity causing large rock masses to rub against one another could be causing this.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:04 PM   #27
Cainkane1
Philosopher

As I recall people heard weird sounds comming from underground here in georgia but it was caused by collapsing granite which caused a small localized earthquake.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:18 PM   #28
John Albert
Illuminator

All I've seen about this has been a few YouTube videos, so I'm thinking "hoax."

Does anybody have a good reason to believe otherwise?
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Sherlock
Muse

In the past few weeks a number of psychics have lost major cases in courts around the world. I suspect their screams and ranks are being heard.
Sherlock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 03:56 PM   #30
Archer17
Thinker

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
All I've seen about this has been a few YouTube videos, so I'm thinking "hoax."

Does anybody have a good reason to believe otherwise?
Nope. I'm aware of the so-called anomalous "hums" associated with places like Taos but that's not exactly breaking news nor is/was comparable to what this YouTube video is trying to sell.
Archer17 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:01 PM   #31
John Albert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Archer17 View Post
Nope. I'm aware of the so-called anomalous "hums" associated with places like Taos but that's not exactly breaking news nor is/was comparable to what this YouTube video is trying to sell.

But is that the same thing as the sounds alleged in these videos?

Those sounds are more like loud crashing noises and high-pitched screeches than the low frequency, nearly inaudible background "hum" reported in those accounts.
—Mark Twain
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:20 PM   #32
Archer17
Thinker

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
But is that the same thing as the sounds alleged in these videos?

Those sounds are more like loud crashing noises and high-pitched screeches than the low frequency, nearly inaudible background "hum" reported in those accounts.
In case I wasn't clear enough I find no comparison between the two myself although I think it's quite possible that the Taos Hum and similar "hums" that used to be all the rage fueled this more 'Halloweenish' spin-off.

Don't hold me to that, though. I failed 'Understanding Woo 101.'

Archer17 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:35 PM   #33
John Albert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Archer17 View Post
In case I wasn't clear enough I find no comparison between the two myself although I think it's quite possible that the Taos Hum and similar "hums" that used to be all the rage fueled this more 'Halloweenish' spin-off.

You're probably right that it's exactly the same thing in reality, ie. a bunch of people making **** up.

My point was that the details of these more recent claims (pitch, volume, and other qualities of the alleged noises) are varied in such a way as to make them seem far more prevalent instead of something only audible by a few select "extra sensitive" people.
—Mark Twain

Last edited by John Albert; 22nd October 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:23 AM   #34
23_Tauri
Illuminator

There was definitely a Rumble in Brighton last night....
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:28 PM   #35
George152
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 23_Tauri View Post
There was definitely a Rumble in Brighton last night....
And a collective groan from the French
Old 23rd October 2011, 01:33 PM   #36
mike3
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Frying Dutchmen View Post
According to the information on the web... Good to know he's done his research.
What happens if you're too Poor to afford access to high-quality non-web resources?
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2011, 10:26 PM   #37
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

It's the Locust Horde making their final preparations for Emergence Day...
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal