ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags calculators

Old 5th September 2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

HP reissues classic HP-15C calculator

Hewlett-Packard reintroduces the classic HP 15C calculator.

Quote:
Our classic 15c Scientific Calculator is back by popular demand! This limited collector's edition features the same intelligent design and compact size as the original, plus it's up to 100x faster. Packaged in a keepsake gift box, it makes a great gift for scientists, engineers and collectors.
I had a similar calculator (HP-16C "Computer Scientist") about 25 years ago. When it died a few years later, I couldn't bear throw it out because it was such a neat little device. I still have it in a drawer, and I still have the manual. It was programmable, which meant I could write simple programs on it, and recall and run them later. The 15C is also programmable.

And I liked RPN. Having your last four results in a stack was useful.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Complexity
The Woo Whisperer

Loved this calculator.

Love RPN.

- W. Somerset Maugham

"Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible; thought is merciless to privilege, established intuititions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."

- Bertrand Russell
Complexity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 09:12 AM   #3
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

My 16C is ready for the next (first) time I need to convert dec to hex.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
...snip...

I had a similar calculator (HP-16C "Computer Scientist") about 25 years ago. When it died a few years later, I couldn't bear throw it out because it was such a neat little device. I still have it in a drawer, and I still have the manual. It was programmable, which meant I could write simple programs on it, and recall and run them later. The 15C is also programmable.

And I liked RPN. Having your last four results in a stack was useful.
You weren't a programming colleague of mine back in the 80s were you? One of my colleagues came back from a trip to the USA brandishing a HP16, and weren't we envious! Mind you, you could do with one now since your mental arithmetic is so bad, they were released in the early 80's - and the 80s can't be 25 years ago, that would make me old.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Doubt
Philosopher

RPN is still great. And plenty of smart phone calculator apps can do it.

My first and only HP was the 28. Fully programmable and did graphing.

Santiago, Chile, Aug. 18th to the Sept. 16th. Might get home before that.
Doubt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 09:33 AM   #6
JeanFromBNA
Critical Thinker

I still use mine. I thought I got it in the 90's, though.
JeanFromBNA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Tim Thompson
Muse

Thumbs up Hp 15c

Hey, this is real news! I have had mine, and it's original cover, since they came out. Can't remember when that was, but it finally failed only a couple months ago (still works intermittently). I will certainly replace it with a new one if I can.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, calculators...
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
FreshHat
Why, You Little...

Quote:
Our classic 15c Scientific Calculator is back by popular demand! This limited collector's edition features the same intelligent design and compact size as the original, plus it's up to 100x faster. Packaged in a keepsake gift box, it makes a great gift for scientists, engineers and collectors.
What, no pocket protector?
Old 5th September 2011, 10:34 AM   #10
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

The first LED watch I saw... exhibited by a booth babe at an airshow here..
Some numbers would show -the dirty word- when looked at upside down.
"I'm not proud of my work", she said when I looked askance at this.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 12:43 PM   #11
RussDill
Illuminator

It is frustrating that in general calculators have become a race to be the cheapest. I have an old HP-12C from high school, I looked around on the internet, they are going for $200 new.

I'll probably have to pick up one of the 15C's. I do prefer RPN.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by Complexity
Love RPN.
RPN is God.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 01:05 PM   #13
icerat
Illuminator

So that's why they axed the touchpad
Old 5th September 2011, 01:07 PM   #14
RussDill
Illuminator

What they need is a reboot of their popular rpn scientific and financial calculators with the same high quality durable casing and tactile keys with new e-paper displays. Possibly upping the durability with new materials.

Last edited by RussDill; 5th September 2011 at 01:09 PM.
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 01:12 PM   #15
icerat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
What they need is a reboot of their popular rpn scientific and financial calculators with the same high quality durable casing and tactile keys with new e-paper displays. Possibly upping the durability with new materials.
e-paper would be irritating slow wouldn't it?
Old 5th September 2011, 01:24 PM   #16
RussDill
Illuminator

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
e-paper would be irritating slow wouldn't it?
The smaller the screen, the faster it goes afaik. There are also algorithms for updating only a portion of the display, especially in the case of going from a blank area to a drawn area, as would be the case in number entry.
Old 5th September 2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Soapy Sam
NLH

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
So that's why they axed the touchpad
HP is pulling out of personal computer production completely.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 02:03 PM   #18
Anerystos
Muse

I still have a working Brunsviga calculator, which I occasionally use to demonstrate the basic principles of arithmetic to my grandchildren and their friends.

I also have a collection of slide rules dating back to the 1950s Ė including circular ones. Most maths teachers of my acquaintance havenít a clue about their use, or even how and why they work. My argument is that the batteries donít go flat.

Bring back log tables!
Anerystos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 03:57 PM   #19
RussDill
Illuminator

Anyone know when the 15c actually goes on sale?
Old 5th September 2011, 04:30 PM   #20
roger
Penultimate Amazing

I hope it is better than the reissued HP12C. I've had nothing but problems with it - keys not working, sticking, etc.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2011, 11:17 PM   #21
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

Yay!!!!

I love RPN!

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 12:56 AM   #22
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

The first calculator I used was RPN (my Dad's Sinclair Scientific), and I find it difficult to use a 'normal' one. I also hankered after an HP calculator from seeing the ads in Scientific American (if I remember correctly). I eventually got a 32S celebrating HP's 50th anniversary in 1989; it lives in my desk drawer, and I do use it from time to time, and it's still on the original batteries.
Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
HP is pulling out of personal computer production completely.
They've said they are considering it.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 03:32 AM   #23
Cuddles
Decoy

I see Zigurat beat me to the xkcd strip, but seriously, what the hell is the point? For the same price, you can get a phone that can do everything the calculator can, but much faster. You can even get an emulator app so that it is identical to the calculator is every respect other than the actual physical buttons. Why would anyone waste that much money on a completely worthless piece of obsolete technology? I can kind of see keeping an old one on the grounds that there's no reason to get rid of something that still works perfectly well, but buying a brand new one is just plain stupid.
Old 6th September 2011, 04:27 AM   #24
icerat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
I see Zigurat beat me to the xkcd strip, but seriously, what the hell is the point? For the same price, you can get a phone that can do everything the calculator can, but much faster. You can even get an emulator app so that it is identical to the calculator is every respect other than the actual physical buttons. Why would anyone waste that much money on a completely worthless piece of obsolete technology? I can kind of see keeping an old one on the grounds that there's no reason to get rid of something that still works perfectly well, but buying a brand new one is just plain stupid.
Huh, so there is - RPNCalc on the Android market.

Still, people buy antique cars too
Old 6th September 2011, 04:50 AM   #25
erwinl
Muse

I still got my HP-10C.

It's been without batteries for some 20 years (if not more), but I still haven't entirely gotten used to the workings of conventional calculators.
Old 6th September 2011, 05:10 AM   #26
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Ask Harley-Davidson.

Nostalgia sells.
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 05:39 AM   #27
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

For the same price, you can get a phone that can do everything the calculator can, but much faster.
No. The reissued HP-15C is priced at $100. I could get an Android for that price, but only by signing a contract to purchase an additional $1800 worth of telecom services ($50/mo for 36 months.)

Quote:
You can even get an emulator app so that it is identical to the calculator is every respect other than the actual physical buttons.
Link, please.

Quote:
Why would anyone waste that much money on a completely worthless piece of obsolete technology? I can kind of see keeping an old one on the grounds that there's no reason to get rid of something that still works perfectly well, but buying a brand new one is just plain stupid.
Howie mentioned nostalgia. I say "hobby." I see people in my office spending thousands of dollars to sit in a noisy, cold arena and watch grown men bat a flat piece of rubber over an ice surface for three hours. It's called a "hockey game" and it's extremely popular in this part of the world. Other places have baseball and football. [snark]Bloody boring waste of time if you ask me.[/snark]

People are willing to spend money on things that interest them. Some of us are interested in technology. It's just as unfair to label those people as "stupid" as it is for me to label the ones who spend money to attend sporting events as "stupid."
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 6th September 2011 at 05:42 AM.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 07:23 AM   #28
Soapy Sam
NLH

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The first calculator I used was RPN (my Dad's Sinclair Scientific), and I find it difficult to use a 'normal' one. I also hankered after an HP calculator from seeing the ads in Scientific American (if I remember correctly). I eventually got a 32S celebrating HP's 50th anniversary in 1989; it lives in my desk drawer, and I do use it from time to time, and it's still on the original batteries.

They've said they are considering it.

I built a Sinclair from the kit in "Practical Electronics Today".
Cost £16.95 at a time when an equivalent Casio was about £100.

Some years later , I succumbed to the allure of an HP41C in Salt Lake City. $413.00 ! But gosh, I had some fun with that.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 07:46 AM   #29
roger
Penultimate Amazing

I use my HP almost every day. I don't have, or want a smart phone. I like physical buttons. When I do use a smart phone, I spend half my time on the backspace button because I pressed the wrong virtual button. I've had the same batteries in my HP for I have no idea how long - maybe 5 years? When they run low I have weeks to replace them.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 08:08 AM   #30
Soapy Sam
NLH

Zooterkin-
http://myproffs.co.uk/index.php/news...top-making-pcs
Old 6th September 2011, 08:17 AM   #31
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
I also have a collection of slide rules dating back to the 1950s Ė including circular ones. Most maths teachers of my acquaintance havenít a clue about their use, or even how and why they work. My argument is that the batteries donít go flat.
I remember some scifi story where the ship's navigation computer died, so the crew had to do all the calculations by hand. They used abacuses, not slide rules, IIRC.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 08:17 AM   #32
grmcdorman
Muse

I have still working 15C and 16C. Some of the best calculators HP ever made.

The 16C was the only calculator I know of that could be used for UNIVAC mainframes (which I worked on in the 80s). It can do 36 bit word, ones complement (actually, "word" size from 1 to 64 bit, one or twos complement). Most "programmer" calculators in the day were 32 bit, twos complement only.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:25 AM   #33
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
Ah, good old slide rules... I used to have an Otis King Patent Calculator (a slide rule wrapped around a neat little cylinder). Still got the working HP67 I used in my first job (calculating skin-fold anthropometry measurements). The card reader doesn't, but I could fix it... maybe one day The HP67 was replaced by a Commodore PET, which was much more fun (Star Trek games, etc).
Old 6th September 2011, 08:35 AM   #34
Cuddles
Decoy

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
No. The reissued HP-15C is priced at $100. I could get an Android for that price, but only by signing a contract to purchase an additional $1800 worth of telecom services ($50/mo for 36 months.)
You are joking, right? I can buy an Android phone for less than £50 with no contract.

Quote:
Link, please.
The sad part here is that I don't even need to direct you here, since someone already linked one example over an hour before you posted.

Originally Posted by roger View Post
I use my HP almost every day. I don't have, or want a smart phone. I like physical buttons. When I do use a smart phone, I spend half my time on the backspace button because I pressed the wrong virtual button. I've had the same batteries in my HP for I have no idea how long - maybe 5 years? When they run low I have weeks to replace them.
True, battery life is one area calculators definitely have the advantage. I wouldn't consider it worth the ridiculous price though.

As for not wanting a smartphone, why not? As already noted, you can get one for half the price of the calculator, and you can get them with physical buttons. Surely it would make far more sense to just buy a phone, install a calculator app, then never use it for anything else? Not only would it be cheaper, but you'd also have a handy computer in pocket just in case you ever wanted something other than a calculator.

Or if you're absolutely hung up on not having something that could be mistaken for a phone, you can get something like this. Or if you want bigger keys you can get something like this (under £100, and probably under $100 if buy in the US. We tend to get ripped off over here), and can even get a cheap keyboard to plug into it.

Like I say, if you already have an old calculator I'm not saying you should immediately rush out and replace it. But there's just no reason to get excited over HP trying to rip you off by charging insane prices for something so utterly obsolete. If you're buying it out of nostalgia that's one thing (although still a massive rip off at that price), but buying it because you actually want a calculator is just crazy.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:41 AM   #35
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

I have an HP 50G
I too am an RPN acolyte.

When in university, a lot of my friends had managed to get HP 48G's. I like those so much that when the 49G+ arrived, I bought one within a week. Of course, a few years later it up-and-died for no reason whatsoever, and HP refused to do anything about it (apparently, a more-than-$300 calculator can only be reasonably expected to last 3 years). But for the sake of RPN, I went and bought an HP 50 (what the 49G+ should have been in the first place).
But I bought it used, because with such a limited lifespan I wasn't keen on spending more than $100. One of the rubber feet has come unglued and fallen off, now it rocks and clicks on my desk when I use it.
By comparison, my other calculator is a Sharp 2-line display 469 function scientific. That sucker has lasted me for more than 10 years now. And only one battery change.
And it came with a paper manual, that I could use! I hate the CD-rom manual and the cheap pleather cases HP has now. The 49's had a nice padded pocket case, and a real manual. No having to race to a computer to see what to do. Marketing moronics 101, there.

In short:

RPN is awesome.

Hewlett-Packard product quality and support?
Decidedly not-awesome.

So, while I'm sure the 15C was a nice unit in its day, I wouldn't recommend spending the money on what is going to be a low-quality reproduction of antiquated equipment. Source out an original, or do like I do and collect mechanical calculators. It seems Paul W shares that anachronistic hobby.
ETA: looks like a few others do, too. I am jealous of your Otis, dlorde.

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis

Last edited by X; 6th September 2011 at 08:43 AM.
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 09:10 AM   #36
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by X View Post
... I am jealous of your Otis, dlorde.
Sadly it was 'borrowed' in the early '80s and never seen again
Old 6th September 2011, 09:59 AM   #37
RussDill
Illuminator

Feel (Buttons, formfactor, weight) - Check
Durability - Check
Battery life - Check

A smart phone has none of these things.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:03 AM   #38
RussDill
Illuminator

Originally Posted by X View Post
I have an HP 50G
I too am an RPN acolyte.

When in university, a lot of my friends had managed to get HP 48G's. I like those so much that when the 49G+ arrived, I bought one within a week. Of course, a few years later it up-and-died for no reason whatsoever, and HP refused to do anything about it (apparently, a more-than-$300 calculator can only be reasonably expected to last 3 years). But for the sake of RPN, I went and bought an HP 50 (what the 49G+ should have been in the first place).
I hate to tell you this, but the 48g/gx was the end of the line as far as HP quality was concerned.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:15 AM   #39
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

You will have my 11C (still with original case) when you pry it out of my cold, dead, clammy hands.

And I have dibs on Mom's original 41C.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 10:23 AM   #40
Cayvmann
Muse

Just sold my old HP 11c. It was a great calculator for my engineering classes. I hated to see it go unused so I sold it. Sold for exactly what my parents paid for it in 1985. Worked like a charm after all these years.
Cayvmann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology