ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st December 2012, 07:56 PM   #361
Wolrab
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
Wow didn't realize this thread had been resurrected. I went back and skimmed through some of the posts from the point which is was resurrected, and I didn't find any factual information that substantiates any of the miracles or otherwise miraculous events that occur in the Bible. Did I perhaps miss something? If so, could someone please quote or present the evidence? I would love to read it.
It all boils down to using the bible to prove the bible.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 08:19 PM   #362
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I see. That's what I thought. Kinda like saying "Well they found an empty tomb, so that means he was resurrected!" and then going on to quote the Bible.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 08:27 PM   #363
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
So says Dan Brown.
No, so says the Jews.

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 08:30 PM   #364
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Back then in that area woman were second class citizens who couldn't even testify in court. They didn't even count women as part of crowds.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in Roman times wouldn't this claim be provably wrong?

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.

Last edited by Mudcat; 31st December 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 11:56 PM   #365
DOC
Philosopher

The found ossuary of the high priest, Caiaphus, who organized the plot to kill Jesus is some hard evidence for the truth of the bible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44347890.../#.UOKDdXctG_I

A high priest would be well known in the area and amongst his surviving relatives and young followers for a long time. It would seriously hurt the credibility of the bible to give him such a vital role if it wasn't true.

Last edited by DOC; 31st December 2012 at 11:57 PM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 12:10 AM   #366
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

The found ossuary of the high priest, Caiaphus, who organized the plot to kill Jesus is some hard evidence for the truth of the bible.

No, it's (possibly) evidence for the existence of someone named Caiaphas.

It's evidence for the rest of your fairytale in the same way that the existence of King's Cross Station is evidence for the Hogwarts Express.

A high priest would be well known in the area and amongst his surviving relatives and young followers for a long time.

A major London railway station would be well known for even longer, especially one that still exists in this, the information age.

Still no stories about that magical train though.

It would seriously hurt the credibility of the bible to give him such a vital role if it wasn't true.

Including the names of real people who may have been alive at the time that the alleged events in the story took place actually tends to enhance its credibility.

What's damaging to its credibility is including nonsense like a zombie apocalypse, earthquakes that nobody noticed, an eclipse that couldn't possibly have occurred, angels, a resurrected rabbi that can be in multiple places at the same time, etcetera.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum

Last edited by Akhenaten; 1st January 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 12:13 AM   #367
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in Roman times wouldn't this claim be provably wrong?

No correction needed. Your observation is the reason that DOC, when pressed to back up his assertion, provided a reference to Hebrew customs in the Old Testament.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 02:06 AM   #368
DOC
Philosopher

I've mentioned the fact that there were 9 non-biblical writers who make reference to occurrences in the NT, including Christ. Also I mentioned archaeological evidence, and logical evidence.

And the 9 separate writers who wrote the New Testament (one who has been called a 1st rate historian by Sir William M. Ramsay) never heard of a thing called the Bible, it didn't exist at the time of they wrote their works.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 02:10 AM   #369
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
No correction needed. Your observation is the reason that DOC, when pressed to back up his assertion, provided a reference to Hebrew customs in the Old Testament.
So I assume you believe 1400 year old Jewish customs regarding woman immediately stopped once the Romans gained control?
Old 1st January 2013, 02:39 AM   #370
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I've mentioned the fact that there were 9 non-biblical writers who make reference to occurrences in the NT, including Christ.

No, you didn't. The claim you actually made was this:
So I assume you believe Jesus is a myth even though we have 31 Christian and 9 non-Christian historical written sources for his life (total of 40) compared to 9 non-Christian and 1 Christian source (total of 10) for the life of Tiberius Caesar (the emperor during the life of Jesus).

So, notwithstanding your backpedalling on the issue, rather than just mentioning these sources, how about posting them as you've been asked to do?

Also I mentioned archaeological evidence, and logical evidence.

You mention all manner of nonsense. How about posting the archæological evidence, at least?

I won't ask you to post the logical evidence since I'm more than fully aware that you lack the means to identify such a thing even if it did exist.

And the 9 separate writers who wrote the New Testament (one who has been called a 1st rate historian by Sir William M. Ramsay) never heard of a thing called the Bible, it didn't exist at the time of they wrote their works.

And there it is!

The first non sequitur of the new year.

Only 4,782 to go and you'll beat last year's record.

It's not the writers who are guilty, as Wolrab says, of "using the bible to prove the bible".

It's you.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 1st January 2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 1st January 2013, 02:54 AM   #371
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post

So I assume you believe 1400 year old Jewish customs regarding woman immediately stopped once the Romans gained control?

To what should be the disgrace of many, they haven't stopped to this day, however, the claim I was specifically addressing was the one you made that women weren't allowed to testify in court, and this isn't a matter of custom, but of law.

And at that time and in that place, Roman Law was trumps, not Hebrew scripture.

As I've already asked you once, who conducted the alleged trial of the alleged Jesus in your fairytale, the Roman Procurator or the Sanhedrin?

What you've been asked to provide, DOC, is evidence for your claims and an explanation of their significance. As usual, all we've received is more of your world-famous argumentum ad so codswallop.

Quelle surprise.

Old 1st January 2013, 03:02 AM   #372
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I've mentioned the fact that there were 9 non-biblical writers who make reference to occurrences in the NT, including Christ.

So I assume you believe this Christ fellow is a non-biblical writer?

Old 1st January 2013, 07:02 AM   #373
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
I see. That's what I thought. Kinda like saying "Well they found an empty tomb, so that means he was resurrected!" and then going on to quote the Bible.
Did you really expect to find scientifically unassailable documentation for miracles in the Bible?

If so, you haven't been following these threads for very long.

If not, you didn't create this thread in a spirit of intellectual honesty.
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 07:30 AM   #374
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

I've mentioned the fact that there were 9 non-biblical writers who make reference to occurrences in the NT, including Christ. Also I mentioned archaeological evidence, and logical evidence.

There's nothing like a reference to Rhoda-the-slave-girl Ramsey to pave the way to thinking about New Year's Day lunch plans.

And I rather thought I saw a reference to our old friends, the 9 non-biblical writers!
I'm looking forward to seeing how DOC manages to show they're relevant to the thread's discussion.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 09:15 AM   #375
Lowpro
Philosopher

Guys guys you won't believe this but it turns out the Mississippi river exists! Huckleberry Finn did indeed do everything that book says he did!
Old 1st January 2013, 09:23 AM   #376
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Including the stuff with Ratty, Mole and Badger?

Or were they later additions?

Old 1st January 2013, 09:28 AM   #377
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
Guys guys you won't believe this but it turns out the Mississippi river exists! Huckleberry Finn did indeed do everything that book says he did!

As Huck's creator said:
Quote:
The world has corrected the Bible. The church never corrects it; and also never fails to drop in at the tail of the procession- and take the credit of the correction.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 11:48 AM   #378
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Did you really expect to find scientifically unassailable documentation for miracles in the Bible?

If so, you haven't been following these threads for very long.

If not, you didn't create this thread in a spirit of intellectual honesty.
So, asking for evidence of events that occurred in the Bible is not in the spirit of intellectual honesty? You are in the wrongggg place. Perhaps this place would be better for you:
http://www.christianforums.net/

I don't think anyone asks them for evidence of their beliefs, they just blindly believe anything and everything in the Bible. Go give it a try. BTW, this is what I requested in the OP:
Quote:
I believe I have made a thread similar to this one for the existence of Jesus, but is there any evidence outside of the Bible that substantiates any events that supposedly occurred in the Bible? Whether they were outlandish events or small ones, what kind of outside sources are there to back up the Bible's validity in any way as a factual source?
Where in the OP did I ever state anything about miracles? I specifically said events.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 12:21 PM   #379
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
One more (double) question, DOC: Do you accept that the the three Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) shared common material, originally written in one gospel, then copied by the other two, or do you assert that all three were written independently. If you do assert they were written independently, what do you see as the motive of those who argue that one gospel was the main source for the other two?
DOC: Since you have posted since I asked this double question, perhaps you could answer it.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:12 AM   #380
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

There are some of the writings of Paul that admonish this very point (that he's speaking for himself, not God). Is this a new idea to you?
No, it's not. But it apparently is to some who attempt to claim the Bible is historically accurate. If parts of it are inaccurate, then none of it can be taken as accurate without confirmation of some sort.

It might be best if you follow the thread and understand what arguments have been made, so you can understand the rebuttals to them. You've made similar mistakes with the arguments others are making.

Last edited by Hellbound; 2nd January 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:12 AM   #381
Warrior1461
Critical Thinker

A high priest would be well known in the area and amongst his surviving relatives and young followers for a long time. It would seriously hurt the credibility of the bible to give him such a vital role if it wasn't true.
This also can mean that the Jesus story is at least grounded in some sort of reality. I do think that it is at least based on some real events.

On the other hand this is also saying this proves that Jesus and all the supernatural stuff is real like pointing to a Sherman Tank in a WWII museum and saying that is proof that Capt America existed. A fictional character who was placed in a real historical event.
Warrior1461 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:55 PM   #382
TimCallahan
Philosopher

I've mentioned the fact that there were 9 non-biblical writers who make reference to occurrences in the NT, including Christ. Also I mentioned archaeological evidence, and logical evidence. . . .(snip) . . .
As Akhenaten has pointed out, we have asked you, repeatedly, to name these nine authors. Also, I have twice asked you the question below:

One more (double) question, DOC: Do you accept that the the three Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) shared common material, originally written in one gospel, then copied by the other two, or do you assert that all three were written independently. If you do assert they were written independently, what do you see as the motive of those who argue that one gospel was the main source for the other two?

So, DOC (Disciple of Christ), why don't you make it a resolution for the new year of 2013 to answer these questions.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:01 PM   #383
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
There's nothing like a reference to Rhoda-the-slave-girl Ramsey to pave the way to thinking about New Year's Day lunch plans.

And I rather thought I saw a reference to our old friends, the 9 non-biblical writers!
I'm looking forward to seeing how DOC manages to show they're relevant to the thread's discussion.
Are these the nine non-biblical writers who seem to have non-names and also seem not to have existed?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:07 PM   #384
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warrior1461 View Post
This also can mean that the Jesus story is at least grounded in some sort of reality. I do think that it is at least based on some real events.

On the other hand this is also saying this proves that Jesus and all the supernatural stuff is real like pointing to a Sherman Tank in a WWII museum and saying that is proof that Capt America existed. A fictional character who was placed in a real historical event.
Saying something is some hard evidence for the truth of the bible is not saying this proves the bible.
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:23 PM   #385
dafydd
Banned

Saying something is some hard evidence for the truth of the bible is not saying this proves the bible.
What?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:35 PM   #386
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
What?
In essence, evidence is not proof.
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:54 PM   #387
Lowpro
Philosopher

right but DOC makes implications (after all this is a thread about evidence for anything that substantiates the Bible).

I have evidence that the Mississippi River exists. That doesn't mean anything as far as whether Huck Finn traveled down it however.
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:59 PM   #388
DOC
Philosopher

On the other hand it seems most skeptics don't believe your statement when it comes to abiogenesis?
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:09 PM   #389
DOC
Philosopher

Some have asked me who were the 9 non-biblical writers who make reference to occurrences in the NT, including Christ.

Here are 11 non-biblical sources that directly or by inference give historical evidence of the existence of Jesus within 150 years of his life.

Roman historian - Tacitus

Chief secretary to Emperor Hadrian - Suetonius

Jewish historian under Emperor Vespasian - Flavius Josephus

Thallus

Roman author and administrator - Pliny the Younger

Emperor Trajan

Emperor Hadrian

The Talmud

Lucian

Mara Bar-Serapion

Phlegon

___

From the sources above here is a composite of what these non-biblical historical sources tell us:

1) Jesus lived during time of Tiberius Caesar.

2) He lived a virtuous life.

3) He was a wonder worker.

4) He had a brother {some say cousin} named James.

5) He was acclaimed to be the Messiah.

6) He was crucified under Pontius Pilate.

7) He was crucified on the eve of the Jewish Passover.

8) Darkness and an earthquake occurred when he died.

9) His disciples believe he rose from the dead.

10) His disciples were willing to die for their belief.

11) Christianity spread as far as Rome.

12) His disciples denied the Roman gods and worshiped Jesus as God.

Remember these are all facts that can be found in "Non-Christian" independent sources.

The composite above is from the book "I Don't have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. (pg. 223)

Last edited by DOC; 2nd January 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: took out Toledoth Jesu not sure it was within 150 years
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:14 PM   #390
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Some have asked me who were the 9 non-biblical writers who make reference to occurrences in the NT, including Christ.

Here are 12 non-biblical sources that directly or by inference give historical evidence of the existence of Jesus within 150 years of his life.

Thallus

Emperor Trajan

Emperor Hadrian

The Talmud

Anti Christian document Toledoth Jesu

Lucian

Mara Bar-Serapion

Phlegon

___

From the sources above here is a composite of what these non-biblical historical sources tell us:

1) Jesus lived during time of Tiberius Caesar.

2) He lived a virtuous life.

3) He was a wonder worker.

4) He had a brother {some say cousin} named James.

5) He was acclaimed to be the Messiah.

6) He was crucified under Pontius Pilate.

7) He was crucified on the eve of the Jewish Passover.

8) Darkness and an earthquake occurred when he died.

9) His disciples believe he rose from the dead.

10) His disciples were willing to die for their belief.

11) Christianity spread as far as Rome.

12) His disciples denied the Roman gods and worshiped Jesus as God.

Remember these are all facts that can be found in "Non-Christian" independent sources.

The composite above is from the book "I Don't have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. (pg. 223)

I don't suppose you're going to give any details of the actual references? Because my money is on all those being references to Christians and what they believed rather than direct references to Jesus.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:35 PM   #391
TimCallahan
Philosopher

DOC: Since you have cited Chuck Missler as a source, are you - as he is - a birther? Also, do yoiu believe - as he does - that Obama is a Muslim? To see what I'm talking about, go here.
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:42 PM   #392
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
DOC: Since you have cited Chuck Missler as a source, are you - as he is - a birther? Also, do yoiu believe - as he does - that Obama is a Muslim? To see what I'm talking about, go here.
Sounds like this is an ad hom. Where did I cite a person named Chuck Missler?
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:20 PM   #393
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Here are 11 non-biblical sources that directly or by inference give historical evidence of the existence of Jesus within 150 years of his life.

Thallus

Emperor Trajan

Emperor Hadrian

The Talmud

Lucian

Mara Bar-Serapion

Phlegon

___

. . . (major snip) . . .
Regarding Tacitus: All he said was that the Christians followed Christ who was put to death for sedition by Pontius Pilate.

Regarding Suetonius: He refers, in The Twelve Caesars, to Claudius expelling the Jews from Rome because of violent disputes among them instigated by "Chrestus." This may refer to Christ, in that the chaos resulted from disputes between jews and Christians or may not. It's a highly dubious source.

All that Josephus says (since the so called Testamentum Flavianum is an outright forgery) is that James, the brother of Jesus, "who was called the Christ," was put to death by the order of Annus. The phrase, "who was called the Christ," is disputed. If it turns out to be genuine, then all we have from Josephus is that Jesus was a messianic pretender. By the way, Josephus refers to about eight different people called "Jesus" i.e. Yeshua, which means, "Yahweh is salvation," not that unusual a name among people who worshipped Yahweh.

As far as I know, Pliny the Younger only made reference to Christians, not to Jesus.

Likewise, Lucian of Somasta, in The Golden Ass, only spoke of Christians, not of Jesus.

The Talmud's account of Jesus - written, I think, ca. 400 years after his death, refers to him as a magician, a fool and a fraud, and says his mother was a hair dresser.

As to the other sources, I'll need a citation. I don't know that either Hadrian or Trajan referred to Jesus, though they might have referred to Christians.
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:43 PM   #394
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Sounds like this is an ad hom. Where did I cite a person named Chuck Missler?
You cited him in post # 294 on page 8 of this thread. Specifically, you said:

The Last 12 Verses of Mark
by Chuck Missler

"However, it seems that Irenaeus in 150 A.D., and also Hypolytus in the 2nd century, each quote from these disputed verses, so the documentary evidence is that they were deleted later in the Alexandrian texts, not added subsequently.)

But there is even more astonishing evidence for their original inclusion that is also profoundly instructive for broader reasons..."

http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/201/

I didn't intend this as an ad hominem attack on you. As far as know, you are neither a birther nor have you, to my knowledge, argued that Obama is a Muslim. My point is that Missler is an unreliable source. I think I already pointed out that, as well as hold these wacky views, he believe flying saucer sightings are demonic apparitions and the work of the Nephilim.
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:55 PM   #395
dafydd
Banned

Old 2nd January 2013, 05:25 PM   #396
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Jesus had an erection?
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:40 PM   #397
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Jesus had an erection?
The staff of life.
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:07 PM   #398
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
right but DOC makes implications (after all this is a thread about evidence for anything that substantiates the Bible).

I have evidence that the Mississippi River exists. That doesn't mean anything as far as whether Huck Finn traveled down it however.
I guess it all depends on what you want to substantiate.
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:19 AM   #399
Rincewind
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Well.. If English was good enought for Jesus....

Rincewind is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:33 AM   #400
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy