ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd October 2011, 07:24 AM   #1
ksbluesfan
Graduate Poster

UV protection of auto glass

In the US, are there standards of UVA and UVB protection on auto glass? My wife read an article that claimed only UVB protection is provided. A dermatologist claimed that people tend to get skin cancer on their left side due to the driver's seat being on the left in the US. I couldn't find anything through google.
ksbluesfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 07:51 AM   #2
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Any glass stops about 90% of UV in home window thickness. Auto glass is about twice as thick.

Plastics are different, Some stop it all, some stop none, others only A or B.

Why would I know? Home brewing. So, I'll add some OT: since any glass stops most UV, it's a fact that amber beer bottles stop blue light that prevents beer from getting 'skunky'. Clear or green bottles will contain Skunky beers. Except Miller, who uses hops extract that has had the skunk pre-curser removed. Bottle glass absorbency: http://realbeer.com/spencer/bottle.html
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Furcifer

Originally Posted by ksbluesfan View Post
In the US, are there standards of UVA and UVB protection on auto glass? My wife read an article that claimed only UVB protection is provided. A dermatologist claimed that people tend to get skin cancer on their left side due to the driver's seat being on the left in the US. I couldn't find anything through google.
I don't believe so. I worked at a Pilkington plant where they made car windshields and I don't recall any standards on UV protection (at no point in the process is it measured for control to a standard)

Windshields have a PVB laminate and block about 99% of UV rays, but I'm pretty sure that's in the UVB range. Some of the shade band might block UVA, but for the most part I believe UVA protection is usually done using a coating, which windshields don't have.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
FramerDave
Muse

UV B, in the range of about 280-315nm, is blocked by any normal glass or just about any material, including skin. Normal float glass 2 to 2.5mm thick will block roughly 40% of the UV A light, which is about 315-400nm.

I don't know about auto glass specifically, but I would think that with the double layers of glass and the laminate between the two, the UV blocking would be higher. Just a rough guess would be in the 70% range.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Have you ever gotten a sunburn in your car?

"If you want to see what baby oil does to lactating breasts pm me your email." mayday
FramerDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 03:47 PM   #5
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ksbluesfan View Post
Most of that occurs because a LOT of people (myself included) tend to drive a lot in the Spring/Early Summer/Fall with the window down and the arm resting on the sill*.

*I can only speak for the Southwest (NM, W. Tx.) and Colorado...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Most of that occurs because a LOT of people (myself included) tend to drive a lot in the Spring/Early Summer/Fall with the window down and the arm resting on the sill*.

*I can only speak for the Southwest (NM, W. Tx.) and Colorado...
agree. any time I'm not running the air conditioning or heater in the car it's windows down, arm on the sill time.
"Deities do not organize, they command." - Hokulele
Mr. Skinny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Furcifer

Originally Posted by FramerDave View Post
I don't know about auto glass specifically, but I would think that with the double layers of glass and the laminate between the two, the UV blocking would be higher. Just a rough guess would be in the 70% range.
wiki does: Laminated glass
The PVB interlayer also gives the glass a much higher sound insulation rating, due to the damping effect, and also blocks 99% of incoming UV radiation.

The amount of energy is dependent on the wavelength.

Some windshields, like those on the Escalade use EVA instead of PVB. I can't find any specific information on EVA laminated glass but I don't think it blocks any more UVA than PVB. AFAIK IMO
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:40 PM   #8
FramerDave
Muse

Originally Posted by Furcifer View Post
wiki does: Laminated glass
The PVB interlayer also gives the glass a much higher sound insulation rating, due to the damping effect, and also blocks 99% of incoming UV radiation.

The amount of energy is dependent on the wavelength.

Some windshields, like those on the Escalade use EVA instead of PVB. I can't find any specific information on EVA laminated glass but I don't think it blocks any more UVA than PVB. AFAIK IMO
That probably settles it. Plain glass blocks UVB light just by being glass. According to your info above, laminated glass filters out 99%, which we can take to mean UVB.

Look at it this way: If the glass allowed in significant amounts of UV energy of any type, your car interior furnishings would fade, crack and otherwise deteriorate much much faster then they do.

"If you want to see what baby oil does to lactating breasts pm me your email." mayday
FramerDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Ysidro
I'm watching you

All I know is it blocks enough to keep my Transition (TM) lenses from darkening.
Old 25th October 2011, 02:46 PM   #10
ksbluesfan
Graduate Poster

According to the NY Times, UVA is not blocked. This article was from April and has a link to two scientific studies.

Article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/05/health/05really.html

Studies:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20226568
http://download.journals.elsevierhea...2210008522.pdf

I'm surprised. That seems like something that would be provided without much thought.

Last edited by ksbluesfan; 25th October 2011 at 02:48 PM.
ksbluesfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2011, 05:42 PM   #11
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Isn't UVA less dangerous anyway, due to the longer wavelength? I guess it penetrates deeper though, even if it has less energy...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology