ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags semantics , ufos

Old 11th November 2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Time to junk the term "UFO"?

I propose we use the NYIO instead of UFO. "Not Yet Identified Objects" is more accurate, I believe. We could also use IBIASFO?
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 06:09 AM   #2
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
I propose we use the NYIO instead of UFO. "Not Yet Identified Objects" is more accurate, I believe.
I disagree.

Even if we come up with plausible explanations for a sighting, such as a blimp.
And even if practically everyone agrees that the most likely thing seen was a blimp.

All we can say is that the most likely explanation is that it was a blimp.

Without evidence, though, it is still unidentified, and indeed, unidentifiable, since you will never be able to recreate a sighting.

UFO covers this nicely, whereas "Not Yet", would need to also cover, "Not Likely To", and "Not Ever" as well.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I disagree.

Even if we come up with plausible explanations for a sighting, such as a blimp.
And even if practically everyone agrees that the most likely thing seen was a blimp.

All we can say is that the most likely explanation is that it was a blimp.

Without evidence, though, it is still unidentified, and indeed, unidentifiable, since you will never be able to recreate a sighting.

UFO covers this nicely, whereas "Not Yet", would need to also cover, "Not Likely To", and "Not Ever" as well.
I think it makes it clear that the possibility of being identified is there. As the Believers routinely use UFO for "alien spacecraft" I think this is a means of countering that euphemism.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
EHocking
Philosopher

I think it makes it clear that the possibility of being identified is there. As the Believers routinely use UFO for "alien spacecraft" I think this is a means of countering that euphemism.
My argument is that "Unidentified" covers all tense of the acronym; past, present and future.

So a much more useful, universal, concise and precise acronym is still UFO.

ETA: IFO, being the its "antonym".
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite

Last edited by EHocking; 11th November 2011 at 06:21 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Whether the phenomenon was correctly identified or not is a judgement call. Just call it a "thing".

Declaring that an unidentified thing is flying (when it might very well be a planet) is an unjustified assumption. All you can say for sure is that it's up in the sky.

So I say we should replace Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) with Thing In The Sky (TITS). The new acronym might encourage a whole new generation of dedicated spotters.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 11th November 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Gawdzilla

My argument is that "Unidentified" covers all tense of the acronym; past, present and future.

So a much more useful, universal, concise and precise acronym is still UFO.

ETA: IFO, being the its "antonym".
I just looking to make it more explicit.
Old 11th November 2011, 06:55 AM   #7
EHocking
Philosopher

I just looking to make it more explicit.
The problem I have is that "Not Yet", besides implying that it can/will be identified, is more implicit than explicit, since it would exclude all sightings that can not, or may never be, be identified.
Old 11th November 2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Marcus
Master Poster

I propose we use the NYIO instead of UFO. "Not Yet Identified Objects" is more accurate, I believe. We could also use IBIASFO?
UFO works fine for objects that are unidentified, we really just need to add another term for the creduloids that are really talking about aliens, UFAO has worked well in some of the threads.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Gawdzilla

The problem I have is that "Not Yet", besides implying that it can/will be identified, is more implicit than explicit, since it would exclude all sightings that can not, or may never be, be identified.
Okay, then. I'll use it, you do what makes you comfortable.
Old 11th November 2011, 07:23 AM   #10
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Whether the phenomenon was correctly identified or not is a judgement call. Just call it a "thing".
[shatner]"there's some thing, on the wing"[/shatner]
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 08:04 AM   #11
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
[shatner]"there's some thing, on the wing"[/shatner]"
We come in peace, shoot to kill"...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by EHocking; 11th November 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11th November 2011, 08:09 AM   #12
EHocking
Philosopher

Okay, then. I'll use it, you do what makes you comfortable.
You'll be in some good company with others that wish to redefine the acronym.
Old 11th November 2011, 08:13 AM   #13
Explorer
Graduate Poster

What is wrong with UAO, i.e. "Unspecific Aerial Object" Or should be Non-specific", in which case, NAO

By taking out unidentified, it still allows for later confirmed identification, without saying that it is actually likely to be identified, and Aerial takes out "Flying" indicating intelligent control.

Last edited by Explorer; 11th November 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 08:27 AM   #14
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
What is wrong with UAO, i.e. "Unspecific Aerial Object" Or should be Non-specific", in which case, NAO

By taking out unidentified, it still allows for later confirmed identification, without saying that it is actually likely to be identified, and Aerial takes out "Flying" indicating intelligent control.
And once identified, what would and UAO or NAO become?

What is the difference between using UFO and IFO in this context?
Old 11th November 2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

How about What On Earth Was That Thing (WTFWTT)?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 09:01 AM   #16
caniswalensis
Master Poster

While I agree mostly with EHocking on his points, I think this is a useful discussion to have.

I do deplore the use of the acronym 'UFO' as a synonym for 'alien craft', but I do not think the problem is serious enough to really worry about.

For the sake of discussion, here is my take:

'Unidentified' works well enough. It is accurate, and does not ommit the possibility of later identification.

'Flying' is an assumption. Things may be located in the sky, without actually having the power of flight.

'Object' is another assumption. People may percieve things visually that are not actuual objects.

If we were going to change the acronym, I think something like 'Unidentified Visual sighting' would be more accurate. It does not assume that the veiwer is witnessing a particular type of thing with any specific properties. Lacking any assumption, it distances itself from 'alien craft' by a wider margin.

U.V.S. anyone?
"...The chief deficiency I see in the skeptical movement is its polarization: Us vs. Them -- the sense that we have a monopoly on the truth; that those other people who believe in all these stupid doctrines are morons; that if you're sensible, you'll listen to us; and if not, to hell with you. This is nonconstructive. It does not get our message across. It condemns us to permanent minority status." - Carl Sagan
caniswalensis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 09:07 AM   #17
GT/CS
Illuminator

UVS would also work for bigfoot sightings!
Old 11th November 2011, 09:15 AM   #18
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by caniswalensis View Post
While I agree mostly with EHocking on his points, I think this is a useful discussion to have.

I do deplore the use of the acronym 'UFO' as a synonym for 'alien craft', but I do not think the problem is serious enough to really worry about.
I'm in agreement with both the above - that's why I'm participating in the chat.
Quote:
For the sake of discussion, here is my take:

'Unidentified' works well enough. It is accurate, and does not ommit the possibility of later identification.

'Flying' is an assumption. Things may be located in the sky, without actually having the power of flight.

'Object' is another assumption. People may percieve things visually that are not actuual objects.

If we were going to change the acronym, I think something like 'Unidentified Visual sighting' would be more accurate.
But rather redundant, don't you think? A "visual" "sighting"?

In order to not seem to be a nay-saying meanyhead

Unidentified Aerial Sighting?
UAS pronounced "You Arse" (or "You Ass" for our USAan friends).
Old 11th November 2011, 09:30 AM   #19
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I like TITS...
wrong thread?
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 09:34 AM   #20
caniswalensis
Master Poster

I'm in agreement with both the above - that's why I'm participating in the chat.But rather redundant, don't you think? A "visual" "sighting"?

In order to not seem to be a nay-saying meanyhead

Unidentified Aerial Sighting?
UAS pronounced "You Arse" (or "You Ass" for our USAan friends).
You are right, that's is a bit redundant. What about 'Unidentified Visual Experience', a UVE? Or perhaps better, 'Unexplained Visual Experience'? The use of the word experience creates even more distance between the reported sighting and an assumption of reality.

Your suggestion of UAS is very good too. It is perfectly descriptive without making assumptions. I personally dislike the ‘you ass’ pronunciation, though. It will be used to mock people that see & report something they do not understand. I see no need for that.

At the end of the day, 'UVE' may not be descriptive enough.
"...The chief deficiency I see in the skeptical movement is its polarization: Us vs. Them -- the sense that we have a monopoly on the truth; that those other people who believe in all these stupid doctrines are morons; that if you're sensible, you'll listen to us; and if not, to hell with you. This is nonconstructive. It does not get our message across. It condemns us to permanent minority status." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by caniswalensis; 11th November 2011 at 09:35 AM.
caniswalensis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 10:09 AM   #21
John Albert
Illuminator

With he acronym "UFO," the word "unidentified" is not the problem.

Calling them "not yet identified" implies that they will be identified at some point in the future, which is not necessarily true. If there isn't enough information about a given object at the time of the sighting and enough cannot be uncovered within a few days or weeks immediately afterward, then there will probably never be enough to make a reliable identification.

If anything, the words "flying object" should be replaced because a large number of UFOs have turned out not to be flying, nor even objects in a material sense. "Aerial sighting" works rather better in my opinion.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 10:30 AM   #22
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

AWH

Airborne What in Hell

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 11:00 AM   #23
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

STINK: Something Tangible, Identity Not Known.

(But I too still like TITS: Thing In The Sky)

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 11th November 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:19 AM   #24
John Albert
Illuminator

But then you run into the problem of people saying things like:

"OMG I saw a TITS!"

Nobody talks like that. It just sounds stupid.

The only way TITS would really work is in the plural:

"OMG! I saw some TITS!"
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 12:25 PM   #25
Robrob
Philosopher

Quote:
Declaring that an unidentified thing is flying (when it might very well be a planet) is an unjustified assumption. All you can say for sure is that it's up in the sky.
I agree the term "flying" is inaccurate and has probably led to all kinds of crazy misconceptions.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 12:55 PM   #26
Explorer
Graduate Poster

And once identified, what would and UAO or NAO become?

What is the difference between using UFO and IFO in this context?
Once identified, it would become an SAO, i.e. a Specific or Specified Aerial Object.

See my original post, for the advantages of this terminology..
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 01:11 PM   #27
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
But then you run into the problem of people saying things like:

"OMG I saw a TITS!"

Nobody talks like that. It just sounds stupid.

The only way TITS would really work is in the plural:

"OMG! I saw some TITS!"
<Cop> Can you explain what you're doing here at this time with those binoculars, sir?
<UFO nut> Yes, officer, I was hoping to spot some... Uh, I was just looking for... Umm. No. Actually, no, I can't.
Old 11th November 2011, 02:17 PM   #28
Brian-M
Daydreamer

The only problem I see with UFO is that the U is mostly redundant. You could just as easily leave it out. In most cases, simply describing something as a "flying object" instead of a UFO would work just as well, while at the same time removing any hint of the mysterious that the word "unidentified" evokes.

But as Jack by the hedge points out, just because it's in the sky doesn't mean it's flying. It could be in space, like a planet or satellite. It could be floating, like a blimp. It could be falling like a skydiver. All we know is that it's not on the ground.

I suggest we replace UFO with NTO; "Non-Terrestrial Object".

The only problem is, some people might confuse Non-Terrestrial with Extra-Terrestrial.

Last edited by Brian-M; 11th November 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 02:37 PM   #29
Jungle Jim
Muse

Well this all well and good, but even if a consensus could be reached in this thread as to a new acronym, how would it be introduced to the public at large? While UFO may not be accurate in all circumstances, it has 100% public awareness.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 02:44 PM   #30
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Well this all well and good, but even if a consensus could be reached in this thread as to a new acronym, how would it be introduced to the public at large? While UFO may not be accurate in all circumstances, it has 100% public awareness.
That's the real beauty of having an acronym which is a puerile joke. You only need to get it used in an episode of South Park and the internet will do the job for you.
Old 12th November 2011, 03:34 AM   #31
yeti101
Thinker

the british ministry of defense always used the term UAP. Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon.

This is much better than UFO because the words "flying" indicate some form of propulsion and "object" implies something solid. Which is not always the case e.g light reflections & ball lighting.

Ufologists won't like UAP they much prefer UFO because it leads their target audience down a certain path of thinking. UFO is now a substitute for "alien spaceship" in the minds of believers.
yeti101 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2011, 04:23 AM   #32
SezMe
post-pre-born

I disagree. How about just ignoring the idiots that try to ascribe some other connotation to "UFO" other than "unidentified".
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2011, 05:09 AM   #33
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I disagree. How about just ignoring the idiots that try to ascribe some other connotation to "UFO" other than "unidentified".
And thus letting them go unchallenged? If that works for you, fine.
Old 12th November 2011, 05:22 AM   #34
Malfie Henpox
Banned

How about Currently Unclassified, Non Terrestrial.

That covers all bases, right?
Malfie Henpox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2011, 05:29 AM   #35
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by Malfie Henpox View Post

Currently Unknown. The "non-terrestrial" is not proven.
Old 12th November 2011, 05:35 AM   #36
Malfie Henpox
Banned

Currently Unknown. The "non-terrestrial" is not proven.
Surely if it's in the sky, it's non terrestrial? (no hyphen) And it might be known, but not classified. I suppose Not terrestrial works better.

Currently Unclassified, Not Terrestrial.

That's what I'm using from now on.

As in: "Look at those couple of ***** up there!"

Last edited by Malfie Henpox; 12th November 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Malfie Henpox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2011, 05:43 AM   #37
Gawdzilla

Surely if it's in the sky, it's non terrestrial? (no hyphen) And it might be known, but not classified. I suppose Not terrestrial works better.

Currently Unclassified, Not Terrestrial.

That's what I'm using from now on.

As in: "Look at those couple of ***** up there!"
I'd go with Currently Unclassified, Aerial. But the "not terrestrial" is just going to feed the lunatics. And that is something I'm trying to get away from.
Old 12th November 2011, 06:50 AM   #38
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Winner.
Old 12th November 2011, 07:15 AM   #39
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So I say we should replace Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) with Thing In The Sky (TITS). The new acronym might encourage a whole new generation of dedicated spotters.
Then we'd have

Things In The Sky
and
Alien Space Ships*

*see UFOs The Research, The Evidence thread for the origin of ASSes.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2011, 07:41 AM   #40
Greedo
Graduate Poster

In my opinion, there's no need for a change. Let the nuts have their "U-F-O"
I, as a skeptic simply say the whole term - Unidentified Flying Object. That clearly states the "object" is unidentified. It's not perfect (we don't know if it was actually an object and so on) but it works. I like UAP too.

Last edited by Greedo; 12th November 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Greedo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal