ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th November 2011, 05:57 AM   #161
Multivac
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Not to mention the disclaimer: This is a work of fiction, any resemblance to events, places or people; living or dead; is purely coincidental.
D'oh! Was in such a hurry to post that I forgot to add the disclaimer.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 06:02 AM   #162
Multivac
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Second, I have received verifiable non-local information from God. For example, a series of dreams that came true in sequence. Or visions of the future that come true moments later right before my eyes. And so on. Being able to verify information that I had no way of knowing is a plus.
Have you had any of this verified by anyone else? i.e. did you tell anyone about these dreams and visions before the events depicted took place?
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 06:04 AM   #163
Multivac
Master Poster

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Not good enough dafydd.

Either show that Limbo is just posting self aggrandizement or bow out of the debate.
Surely it's down to Limbo to post some proof of his claims. Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?
Old 24th November 2011, 06:49 AM   #164
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
You see a debate? I see someone claiming to understand the universe better than anyone else but failing to understand how water boils.
And claiming to foresee the future and in possession of a hot line to the divine. The divine what? Just another woo with ideas above his station.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 06:50 AM   #165
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Multivac View Post
Surely it's down to Limbo to post some proof of his claims. Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?
A very odd post on psion's part.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 09:29 AM   #166
joobz
Tergiversator

God plans on not existing.
It's an oddly self-fulfilling plan for something that doesn't exist.
But the evidence for the plan is overwhelming.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 12:21 PM   #167
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
A very odd post on psion's part.
I think I singled you out unfairly. I withdraw my remark.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 01:38 PM   #168
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I think I singled you out unfairly. I withdraw my remark.
Thank you.
Old 24th November 2011, 02:39 PM   #169
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

I've verified for myself that the Divine, whatever it is, is real. As for the plans of the Divine, I think they are difficult for us to wrap our heads around because the Divine uses both causality and retro-causality to bring itself about in both the past and the future (alpha and omega). The plan of the Divine is to be.
No you haven't. Youmay think you have due to self-delusion, psychoactive drugs, organic brain damage or other causes but it's not real.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 02:43 PM   #170
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JudeBrando View Post
<much babble snippage>
So quoting from the holey babble is supposed to demonstrate your god exists?
Almost every cult claims to be The One True Path and that either all others are fakes or evil.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 02:45 PM   #171
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Damn right. His patience and forbearance far exceeds mine. Use your remaining time wisely and learn thanksgiving... or not. As You Will.
Does that mean you'll be returning to those threads you fled and apologising for the lies you posted?
Old 24th November 2011, 04:55 PM   #172
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

D'oh! Was in such a hurry to post that I forgot to add the disclaimer.
It's okay, the diclaimers can be small, and easy to miss. They ought to make it larger and put it in more parts of fictional books. Maybe have the cashier read off the discalimer to customers making a purchase. Cause there are a certainly a large amount of people who can't tell fact from fiction.
Then, you did it wrong.
Is that anything like breathing wrong? Nevermind that I have a better question for you: What are the practical benefits of mysticism?

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 06:27 PM   #173
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
It's okay, the diclaimers can be small, and easy to miss. They ought to make it larger and put it in more parts of fictional books. Maybe have the cashier read off the discalimer to customers making a purchase. Cause there are a certainly a large amount of people who can't tell fact from fiction.

Is that anything like breathing wrong? Nevermind that I have a better question for you: What are the practical benefits of mysticism?
You can feel superior to the non mystics.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 10:02 PM   #174
JudeBrando
Banned

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
That's nice. So what?

Jude Brando, you sometimes answer questions put to you, so I'd like to ask why someone of at least normal intelligence would quote the Bible to a bunch of people who put no credence in it, as if that would prove something to them. Why do you do that? It's like quoting the Just-So stories to describe to a bunch of evolutionary biologists how the rhinoceros got its skin or the armadillo its scales. So why do you do it?

Thank you.
Elizabeth I,

Paulhoff said:

Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
If you need a god, get a good one next time. There is nothing in the bible that says he is the only one.

Elizabeth I,

The quotes I posted are in the bible.

You're welcome.
JudeBrando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 10:13 PM   #175
JudeBrando
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Care to prove this lord fella wrote this? If you can't it's just a fairy story.
Craig4, Paulhoff said:
If you need a god, get a good one next time. There is nothing in the bible that says he is the only one.
Craig4, The quotes I posted are in the bible.

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
So quoting from the holey babble is supposed to demonstrate your god exists?
Almost every cult claims to be The One True Path and that either all others are fakes or evil.
catsmate1, Paulhoff said:
catsmate1, The quotes I posted are in the bible.

Last edited by JudeBrando; 24th November 2011 at 10:14 PM.
JudeBrando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 10:53 PM   #176
devnull
Philosopher

Again I ask Jude, who were Asherah and Anath?
Old 24th November 2011, 11:14 PM   #177
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
More fictional characters, with very minor roles that were never properly developed by their authors and were forgotten as the story progressed (like House Elves, if you will).

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 11:40 PM   #178
JudeBrando
Banned

I don't know. Why are you asking me? Say what you want to say.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:45 PM   #179
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Craig4, Paulhoff said:

ya lost me, man.
care to decode this?
my secret decoder ring is broken.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:06 AM   #180
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
I'd like to ask why someone of at least normal intelligence would quote the Bible to a bunch of people who put no credence in it, as if that would prove something to them.
#NAME,
Paulhoff said:

#NAME,

The quotes I posted are in the bible.

You're welcome.
Restating a question (several times) is not the same as answering it.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 12:11 AM   #181
Leumas
Master Poster

And Baal and Molech.

Also....consider this verse

Genesis 14:18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High.

Who is this "God Most High"???? If YHWH was the God of Abraham and was not even known in Canaan....how did the king Melchizedek become a priest of God the most high???? Who is this god???

And if it was YHWH then what makes Abraham special???? Also why would YHWH make Abraham go to TAKE and POSSES the land of his priest. Also obviously if he was a priest it follows that there were worshipers....so why did YHWH see it necessary to GENOCIDE these worshipers of his in favor of the future seed of Abraham from Jacob???? And if they were bad worshipers….how does that make them any worse than the “stiff necked” Jews (Exodus 32:9) who kept worshiping Baal and Ashirah every time YHWH stopped clobbering them and making them eat their children.

If it was not YHWH then why is YHWH (the bible is his autobiography …no) calling this OTHER GOD the "God Most High"????

Also consider the name.... Malchi-Tsedek ( מַלְכִּי-צֶדֶק )......two words... the first one means King.....the second one means
Truthful... Righteous... True... Fair... Honest... Just
So go figure......

Last edited by Leumas; 25th November 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 12:22 AM   #182
Leumas
Master Poster

So Jude.....is this new avatar supposed to be a MORPHED Obama and Bush????

I keep calling Obama.....Bush Lite.....so this (if it is what I think) is a pretty good avatar..... but I liked your previous one (Thinker) better even though it was not very appropriate for you.....joking

Last edited by Leumas; 25th November 2011 at 12:26 AM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 12:30 AM   #183
devnull
Philosopher

Im sure you know where Im heading with this.

Yahweh was originally one of many gods - Asherah and Anath were his wife and daughter respectively.

Can you really not see how the makeup of religion evolves with societal and political pressure?

Last edited by devnull; 25th November 2011 at 12:35 AM.
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 12:42 AM   #184
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Dear God:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 01:41 AM   #185
dafydd
Banned

Craig4, Paulhoff said:

The bible is a work of fiction.
Old 25th November 2011, 01:55 AM   #186
slingblade

From what I can tell, Jude quoted the bible to show that there are verses in it in which god declares he is the only god and besides him, there is no other. So the bible does say god is the only god.

This does not, of course, affect the possibility that other gods are mentioned elsewhere in the bible. In fact, there are several references to other gods, as well as commands not to worship them.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/gods.html
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 07:57 AM   #187
edge
Banned

Have you had any of this verified by anyone else? i.e. did you tell anyone about these dreams and visions before the events depicted took place?
This happens more frequently than you think and is the exact thing my father did.
So I believe Limbo others alike also have experianced the same, just as I have.
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 08:13 AM   #188
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by edge View Post
This happens more frequently than you think and is the exact thing my father did.
Why do you need a supernatural force on your side.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 08:22 AM   #189
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, hallucinations and delusion are common phenomena.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 08:26 AM   #190
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
From what I can tell, Jude quoted the bible to show that there are verses in it in which god declares he is the only god and besides him, there is no other. So the bible does say god is the only god.

This does not, of course, affect the possibility that other gods are mentioned elsewhere in the bible. In fact, there are several references to other gods, as well as commands not to worship them.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/gods.html
Right they are not the one God who is the highest, above everything and all.
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 08:28 AM   #191
edge
Banned

I hope everybody had a good weekend and Thanksgiving, and acuallly thanked some one and God for all they have if you wished to.
Old 25th November 2011, 08:30 AM   #192
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Yes, hallucinations and delusion are common phenomena.
They aren't as common as you would wish they are.

Revelations are not common so when they do occur, they are recognized for what they are with verifications.

Last edited by edge; 25th November 2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 25th November 2011, 09:12 AM   #193
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

They aren't as common as you would wish they are.
Actually, yes they are. Hallucinations occurring during threshold states like hympnopompia are extremely common.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 09:14 AM   #194
Complexity
The Woo Whisperer

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
The bible is a work of fiction.

And it is lousy fiction - about at the level of the garbage cranked out by Hubbard.

- W. Somerset Maugham

"Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible; thought is merciless to privilege, established intuititions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."

- Bertrand Russell
Complexity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 09:24 AM   #195
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.

Edge, no one has proven a god of the bible yet, so please understand your point holds no water in with us.

Paul

A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 10:14 AM   #196
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

There are plenty of parts of the Bible that acknowledge the existence of other Gods. The God of the Jews just likes to assert that He is the bestest.

Even in the 10 Commandments, God doesn't say there are no other gods. He says not to worship other gods, with the clear implication that other gods exist.

But the idea that Christianity is monotheistic is a fraud. Aside from top God, there are lots of lesser Gods comparable to the pantheistic Gods of ancient Rome and Greece. All these angels and devils and Satan, how different are they than the gods of pantheistic religions? And in ancient Rome, royals were expected to be promoted after death to Gods themselves. How different is that from being promoted to a Saint in the Catholic religion? The only difference is they don't use the G word for them.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 10:24 AM   #197
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

Re. God's Plan, it appears to be:

1) Make a Universe with creatures He orders to love Him. Give them free will and powerful temptations such that they will indulge in behaviors He abhors.

2) Punish them hideously for yielding to the temptations He programmed them to be irresistibly attracted to, or reward them with eternal bliss for loving Him.

3) Erase all evidence that He existed, and add evidence that he never did exist, but punish His creations most severely for believing He doesn't exist.

What kind of douche bag God is this? Friggin stupid plan. (and bad fiction)
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2011, 10:25 AM   #198
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post

Even in the 10 Commandments, God doesn't say there are no other gods. He says not to worship other gods, with the clear implication that other gods exist.
actually, he says to, "hold no gods before me," so he does not forbid worshipping them, only that he must be held 'first'.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:00 AM   #199
dafydd
Banned

Re. God's Plan, it appears to be:

1) Make a Universe with creatures He orders to love Him. Give them free will and powerful temptations such that they will indulge in behaviors He abhors.

2) Punish them hideously for yielding to the temptations He programmed them to be irresistibly attracted to, or reward them with eternal bliss for loving Him.

3) Erase all evidence that He existed, and add evidence that he never did exist, but punish His creations most severely for believing He doesn't exist.
4) Make your followers write execrable English full of logical fallacies.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:26 AM   #200
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There are plenty of parts of the Bible that acknowledge the existence of other Gods. The God of the Jews just likes to assert that He is the bestest.
The bible mentions (and even names) other gods but doesn't say they exist.

For the most part, it is idolatry that christians are warned about. Although idolatry is about worshiping statues, the bible extends that concept to include love of money and all forms of greed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy