ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2011, 02:44 AM   #321
Multivac
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
Or it could be a more meaningful relationship. For all I know the bacteria that inhabit my lower intestines could be burning offerings for me right now....in fact that might be how they help me digest my food.
This could explain indigestion and heartburn: bacteria in the stomach burning offerings to their gods.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2011, 05:16 AM   #322
Limbo
Jedi Consular

Originally Posted by Multivac View Post
Surely this contradicts everything said about god in the bible.

Nope. And don't call me Shirley.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2011, 05:31 AM   #323
Limbo
Jedi Consular

Originally Posted by Multivac View Post
You may be part of god, but I don't want anything to do with the racist, homophobic, petulant and misogynistic god described in the bible.

Humanity has those traits and so God has those traits. Christ is the Son of Man. As above, so below. If we forgive ourselves, then we should forgive God too. If we don't forgive ourselves, then we should damn ourselves too. If we bind those traits on earth, then God will bind them too.

"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
-Matthew 16:19

As above so below.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."

Last edited by Limbo; 30th November 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2011, 05:44 AM   #324
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Humanity has those traits and so God has those traits. Christ is the Son of Man. As above, so below. If we forgive ourselves, then we should forgive God too. If we don't forgive ourselves, then we should damn ourselves too. If we bind those traits on earth, then God will bind them too.

"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
-Matthew 16:19

As above so below.
If you're saying what I think you're saying, it needs a bit punching up. To make some sort of, I dunno . . . sense, I think.

Unless you're showing off the wonderous fruits of mysticism, then keep it up.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2011, 06:04 AM   #325
Limbo
Jedi Consular

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
If you're saying what I think you're saying, it needs a bit punching up.

What do you think I'm saying? I'm curious.

Old 30th November 2011, 06:29 AM   #326
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

What do you think I'm saying? I'm curious.
Not much of anything. That's not snark, by the way. It may seem profound in your mind but your are not communicating that profundity that is in any way that's accessible.

Unless you're trying to say that humans created god and doing so, included all the foibles that vex humankind; if that's what you're trying to say, well, say it.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2011, 06:34 AM   #327
Limbo
Jedi Consular

Not much of anything. That's not snark, by the way. It may seem profound in your mind but your are not communicating that profundity that is in any way that's accessible.

Unless you're trying to say that humans created god and doing so, included all the foibles that vex humankind; if that's what you're trying to say, well, say it.

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm saying humans become God. And God becomes human.

Old 30th November 2011, 06:54 AM   #328
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm saying humans become God. And God becomes human.
Humans found a need to create gods, and I suppose some think they are god, but that's about as far as it goes.
Old 30th November 2011, 02:13 PM   #329
Limbo
Jedi Consular

Humans found a need to create gods, and I suppose some think they are god, but that's about as far as it goes.

Just asserting that doesn't make it so.

Gods plan is the same throughout world religion and myth. The pattern transcends borders. The imprint that Gods plan makes on mystics, regardless of their culture or era, is the same. It's an unchanging testament. The field of comparative mysticism makes that quite clear. Maybe you could try, oh I don't know, studying it? Then you wouldn't have to run around laboring in ignorance and making glib assertions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diviniz...28Christian%29

Last edited by Limbo; 30th November 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 30th November 2011, 02:56 PM   #330
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Gods plan is the same throughout world religion and myth. The pattern transcends borders. The imprint that Gods plan makes on mystics, regardless of their culture or era, is the same. It's an unchanging testament. The field of comparative mysticism makes that quite clear. Maybe you could try, oh I don't know, studying it? Then you wouldn't have to run around laboring in ignorance and making glib assertions.

The irony, she is strong.
Old 30th November 2011, 02:57 PM   #331
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

What field, where?
Old 30th November 2011, 03:00 PM   #332
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

What field, where?
I'm guessing it's a cow field judging by the amount of manure.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2011, 03:57 PM   #333
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Maybe you could try, oh I don't know, studying it? Then you wouldn't have to run around laboring in ignorance and making glib assertions.
After reading your many posts on the world's religions, I was going to suggest you do the same thing.
Old 6th December 2011, 04:28 PM   #334
edge
Banned

One of God's plans is: to let nature rule, or if you like natural DISATERS.
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2011, 04:32 PM   #335
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by edge View Post
What is a DISATER? Why can't you spell? Surely God could help you with that problem?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2011, 04:55 PM   #336
Donn
Illuminator

Gods plan is the same throughout world religion and myth.

Old 6th December 2011, 04:56 PM   #337
Limbo
Jedi Consular

Originally Posted by Donn View Post

Then go spend a decade studying comparative mysticism, comparative religion, and comparative mythology so that you might see for yourself.

Old 6th December 2011, 04:59 PM   #338
dafydd
Banned

Why can't the woos understand that simple fact?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2011, 05:05 PM   #339
Donn
Illuminator

Then go spend a decade studying comparative mysticism, comparative religion, and comparative mythology so that you might see for yourself.
No.

Wasted too many years on mysticism in my teens (Huxley et al.) and I know the con quite well now.

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Why can't the woos understand that simple fact?
Because when they state stuff it's all deeply paradoxical and mysterious. The mystical and the mendacious feel very much alike.
Old 6th December 2011, 05:08 PM   #340
Limbo
Jedi Consular

No.

Then maybe you should stfu?

Old 6th December 2011, 05:08 PM   #341
dafydd
Banned

No.

Wasted too many years on mysticism in my teens (Huxley et al.) and I know the con quite well now.

Limbo overlooks the fact that some us here passed through the primitive gullible stage when we were younger. Limbo hasn't said anything that I haven't heard before.
Old 6th December 2011, 06:03 PM   #342
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Or he could do something constructive with his time. Almost anything really.

ETA: Actually comparative religion and mythology can be instructive in a sociological sense. Mysticism, not really.

Last edited by Resume; 6th December 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 06:29 PM   #343
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2011, 06:32 PM   #344
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Is that some mystic utterance? Or an all too human bleat of frustration?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2011, 07:25 PM   #345
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

On the assumption that you meant "natural disasters," if you like natural disasters, then what? And who likes natural disasters? (Except possibly the God of the Bible, if he existed.)

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2011, 09:53 PM   #346
Giordano
Illuminator

It has been my observation that many of the individuals on this forum understand a lost more about these topics than you even begin to suspect!

Admittedly studying these topics is useful for dealing with other individuals who believe in such things. It also allows one to understand cultural references to religious and mythological narratives. Some of it appeals to the imagination, or is well written and represents good literature and drama (unfortunately most of the Old and New Testament is terribly written).

One can gain from religion and mythology (oops, same thing) insight into how humans think and feel, just like studying any great fiction. But seeking insight into how the Universe works, or the mind of God, by studying made-up lies and myths, is a sad misdirection of effort.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2011, 10:36 PM   #347
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.

Once again you tell us that your so-called god is useless.

Why do you keep him as your god, it makes no sense at all.

Paul

A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2011, 12:11 AM   #348
Donn
Illuminator

Sorry, I don't grok stfu. Could you, Limbo, lay it out in another way?
Old 7th December 2011, 04:25 AM   #349
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

God's plan is apparently to hint at who doesn't have it together by sabotaging their posts with spelling errors.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2011, 04:26 AM   #350
Mr. Scott

I am dazzled by this example of your spiritual enlightenment.

Last edited by Mr. Scott; 7th December 2011 at 04:38 AM.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2011, 04:49 AM   #351
Donn
Illuminator

DISATERS, I suspect, is a neologist portmanteau of 'dis' and 'aters'.
'Dis' being to disrespect someone and 'aters' a shortening of 'haters'.
Hence 'natural disaters' means those who disrespect and hate nature.

All very simple when one is channeling Stephen Fry. What. What.

Last edited by Donn; 7th December 2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Would you believe, clarity?
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2011, 08:03 AM   #352
edge
Banned

DISATERS, I suspect, is a neologist portmanteau of 'dis' and 'aters'.
'Dis' being to disrespect someone and 'aters' a shortening of 'haters'.
Hence 'natural disaters' means those who disrespect and hate nature.

All very simple when one is channeling Stephen Fry. What. What.
Get over it, it was a typo.
That doesn't make it unreadable and I am not perfect.
And yes I don't mean to disrespect haters.
I just hate you.
I hate you for disrespecting others beliefs or trying to Belittling others.
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2011, 08:07 AM   #353
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
On the assumption that you meant "natural disasters," if you like natural disasters, then what? And who likes natural disasters? (Except possibly the God of the Bible, if he existed.)
So you know the mind of God now?
Why in the world would you say God of the bible when he's God of all?
God doesn't and has never wanted this for us, it was us that wanted this the way it is.
We are the ones that rejected God, or at least,(skeptical atheists).
Old 7th December 2011, 08:12 AM   #354
edge
Banned

As if you are all perfect here's Giordano's posting error:
" It has been my observation that many of the individuals on this forum understand a lost more about these topics than you even begin to suspect!"
Since you want to nitpick.
Old 7th December 2011, 08:27 AM   #355
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

And

God doesn't and has never wanted this for us,

Hans
Old 7th December 2011, 08:28 AM   #356
Donn
Illuminator

Get over it, it was a typo.
I hate you for disrespecting others beliefs or trying to Belittling others.
Oh, tut. It was a jest. You know? Ha ha. I find these kinds of threads sad, frustrating and deeply hopeless so I made a wee funny. Shoot me.
Old 7th December 2011, 08:34 AM   #357
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.

Why, are you the only one that does????

Paul

A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2011, 08:50 AM   #358
Donn
Illuminator

Why in the world would you say God of the bible when he's God of all?
He says this to create a space between the bibble and some other mysterious über god that he knows all about; to keep you guessing.

When it suits him, though, he will be all about the bibble, just watch.
Old 7th December 2011, 09:30 AM   #359
Mr. Scott

Edge, or Limbo, demonstrate that all this god stuff isn't just happening in your head.
Old 7th December 2011, 09:31 AM   #360
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
And

Hans
Well skeptics doesn't have a clue.

No I can't know all of his thoughts only what he wants to revel to me

personally and what all others before have learned and what’s been

revealed to them.

A atheist will not receive any revelations about things to come and if they do

they will no longer be atheistic, that I do know and that is up to God.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy