ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th December 2011, 03:16 PM   #1
IIIClovisIII
Critical Thinker

Interesting cmatrix find

I was scrolling through some internet science forums when I came across this:

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive.../t-379669.html

And I know it's from last year, but I thought it was pretty funny.
He couldn't find answers here (or just ignored them) so he jumped forums.They didn't put up with cmatrix's nonsense at all.
IIIClovisIII is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Justin39640
Illuminator

That's almost as painful as his YT videos.
Old 15th December 2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I see he did his best to imply that near-freefall acceleration occurred at the beginning of the collapse rather than over a second after the first observed downward motion. And I see that, once the physicsforums members caught on, they showed him the door quickly enough. Nice to see my profession presenting itself in this light.

Dave

- Fabian Stang, Mayor of Oslo

SSKCAS, covert member
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2011, 04:33 PM   #4
The Platypus
Graduate Poster

I'm not surprised, this is what kooks do. Trawl the internet making themselves look stupid trying to somehow fool people into believing in their paranoid CT delusions. I've even seen them pop up playing games on XBox Live.

Always beware of those that overuse, capitalize and blanket themselves in them word "truth". I may not always know the truth, but i do know when i'm being lied too.
The Platypus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2011, 06:08 PM   #5
alienentity
Illuminator

Jay Reftard bites the dust eh? LOL
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2011, 06:26 PM   #6
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Oh yeah... this was exactly the right thing to say in a physics forum to gain their sympathy.
Quote:
I don't need to do any calculations. I understand how gravity, energy and momentum work in this respect.
Yet, he was making a quantitative claim:
Quote:
However isn't all the gravitational potential energy of the building used up in attaining free fall? Why did the structure in the way not slow the collapse in any way during this period? Fire can't blow out 8 stories of structure simultaneously and continuously floor by floor. Energy and momentum don't seem to be conserved here which is a violation of the laws of physics.
... and trying to defend it qualitatively. Good grief.
"... my favorite meal is grilled filet of spherical cow of uniform density ... with a side of mashed potatoes of indeterminate volume, peas arranged in an optimal packing configuration, and a glass of ideal fluid." (PhysicsForums)
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2011, 07:28 PM   #7
ozeco41
Philosopher

There's a gem in the bit you quoted which I missed on first reading:

"However isn't all the gravitational potential energy of the building used up in attaining free fall?"

...mmmm.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2011, 10:05 AM   #8
sheeplesnshills
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post

"However isn't all the gravitational potential energy of the building used up in attaining free fall?"

...mmmm.
I liked that too. Thing like that make it easy to spot the truly clueless.
sheeplesnshills is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2011, 10:11 AM   #9
carlitos
"más divertido"

Quote:
I don't need to do any calculations. I understand how gravity, energy and momentum work in this respect.
The above reminds me of "My see-saw analogy renders any need for "calculations" moot."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Newtons Bit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post

...mmmm.
It is poor phrasing, but it's not wrong in and of itself.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein

My website.
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2011, 11:08 AM   #11
W.D.Clinger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ElMondoHummus View Post
Oh yeah... this was exactly the right thing to say in a physics forum to gain their sympathy. [indent]
Quote:
Eventually, however, cmatrix responded to the challenge by doing the calculation...incorrectly: He multiplied 9.8 m/(s^2) by 2.25 s and interpreted the result as a distance in meters, not a velocity in meters per second.

For all his incessant yapping about physics, cmatrix couldn't even get his units right.

I was hoping his error would be identified later in that thread, and it was.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Edx
Illuminator

So long as you add pie you can work out any problem in life. MMmmm pie...
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories