ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th March 2012, 06:45 AM   #2121
JayUtah
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Put him on ignore, or forever dance in circles of his devising.
I actually got him to put me on ignore. I therefore already won.

But yes, you have a good point.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 02:10 AM   #2122
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Hi, I'm a late arrival to the thread, I know.
I'm only here because last week, over drinks, a colleague of mine started telling me about the 'dragon family' conspiracy.
He is absolutely convinced and sincere in his claims this is the real thing.

So I nodded and smiled and let him pick up the bar tab, went home and fed dragon family into the friendly JREF search machine and came up with this amazing thread.
I went over the first three pages, followed links and realised the whole thing is about a classsic 419 scam that has taken on a strange life of its own.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think they hadn't seen Keenan's suit. How could you leave off, "Web conspiracy nut sues UN, Vatican for trillion dollars on behalf of unnamed members of fictional Asian organization"
It's an interesting variant on the washwash scam, to be sure!

And now back to your original programming.

Last edited by pakeha; 19th March 2012 at 02:18 AM.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2012, 06:02 PM   #2123
ngc6205
Critical Thinker

Case dismissed through voluntary dismissal by plaintiff, Neil Keenan, on June 27, 2012.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." - Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, while attempting to convince the school board to introduce creationism into the public schools.
ngc6205 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 08:14 AM   #2124
JayUtah
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ngc6205 View Post
Case dismissed through voluntary dismissal by plaintiff, Neil Keenan, on June 27, 2012.
Not with a bang, but a whimper. Maybe he'll sue the Oatmeal and some charities next.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 02:07 PM   #2125
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ngc6205 View Post
What a surprise!

Its almost like it was entirely groundless and unsupportable...

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 03:07 PM   #2126
JayUtah
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
What a surprise!

Its almost like it was entirely groundless and unsupportable...
Naw, man, AL had da linkzz!
Old 29th June 2012, 06:15 PM   #2127
jond
Graduate Poster

Gosh, I'm shocked, no stunned. No, that's not right, what's the word? Completely unsurprised? Yeah, that's it...
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 06:39 PM   #2128
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Not with a bang, but a whimper. Maybe he'll sue the Oatmeal and some charities next.
Anyone want to take a bet that the conspiracy kooks will claim that The Illuminati/Black Lodge/Evil Force of Oppression FORCED the voluntary dismissal? Its almost inevitable.

The truth, of course, that he almost certainly decided to dismiss based on the fact that he would be laughed out of court once the court actually had the time to address it...will never be considered.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2012, 01:47 PM   #2129
JayUtah
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LightinDarkness View Post
Anyone want to take a bet that the conspiracy kooks will claim that The Illuminati/Black Lodge/Evil Force of Oppression FORCED the voluntary dismissal? Its almost inevitable.
Agreed, inevitable. The standard claims are that They got to his lawyer or to him, and threatened some unspeakable retribution unless he withdrew his suit; or that they secretly settled with him rather than risk public embarrassment.

Quote:
The truth, of course, that he almost certainly decided to dismiss based on the fact that he would be laughed out of court once the court actually had the time to address it...will never be considered.
As I said earlier, the standard ploy is to file suite and expect a settlement for a fraction of the claimed damages, on the expectation that the defendant will not want to hassle with a defense and that the settlement may, in fact, be cheaper than the cost of the defense. Most of these lawyers know they would be completely outgunned if they went to court with the facts and arguments they have in hand. Hence there's a certain brinkmanship to this ploy. The plaintiff has to weigh the likelihood that the victim will actually want to defend the case, and that his claim is strong enough to survive a preliminary hearing or federal grand jury.

The other side of the coin is that it's typical for a judge to award the payment of legal fees to the prevailing party. If some guy takes his lame case to court and loses, he has to pay the fees of all the high-powered corporate lawyers who defended the case, which can easily bankrupt a small attorney. So at a certain point the plaintiff gets cold feet and realizes he's probably not going to win his gamble, and that the defendant probably won't write him a token check to drop his case and go away.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories