ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chuck Baldwin , constitution party , Don Black , James Rawles , Jamie Kelso , Matt Shea , ron paul , white supremacists

Old 29th January 2012, 02:41 PM   #41
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yeah, people forget that Mickey is not that wishy-washy creepy character that they created for the TV show, but was actually quite the scamp, originally. If I was a conservative (damn, I nearly got palsy typing that!), I think I could get behind Mickey as a candidate.
Bet Pastor Chuck would love to get behind Mickey Mouse. He seems the kind that would be into rodent rectal rootering
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 03:37 PM   #42
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

People like Baldwin are why I own firearms. There is no way they are going to get their little dystopia that close to my home without causing a fight. Ask the Bosnians and Ethiopians how well a country without a sea port works. So where would they try to get one?

They would have to shove my kind aside, and we don't like being pushed.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:12 PM   #43
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
People like Baldwin are why I own firearms. There is no way they are going to get their little dystopia that close to my home without causing a fight. Ask the Bosnians and Ethiopians how well a country without a sea port works. So where would they try to get one?

Or the Swiss. Their country sucks.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 10:51 PM   #44
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Or the Swiss. Their country sucks.
And Austria blows.

It's very windy in southern Germany.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:33 PM   #45
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Hey, doesn't Switzerland have a navy?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2012, 12:07 AM   #46
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Also, reading the Constitution Party's official platform, I noticed a few glaring double standards. One of my personal favorites is that while they want to end all foreign aid and pull back all military force, they want to keep the Panama Canal.
Keep? Along with all their other sins, being out of date is right there.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2012, 06:38 AM   #47
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
And Austria blows.

It's very windy in southern Germany.
As long as you mention it, please explain to the crowd* how Georg Von Trapp happens to have been an Austrian Naval Captain.

* I know already.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2012, 06:51 AM   #48
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Keep? Along with all their other sins, being out of date is right there.
Sorry, my mistake, not theirs. They want to take back the Panama Canal, which I think also addresses leftysergeant's concern.
Donal is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2012, 06:26 PM   #49
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Poor Pastor Chuck has encountered some slings and arrows since he moved his extended family to The American Redoubt. I reckon that some of the locals aren't so warm and fuzzy about Baldwin's Christopia, unsuprisingly.

Originally Posted by Pastor Chuck Baldwin
I thought I knew what persecution and hardship were, but after my family and I moved to Montana late last year, I found out that I didn’t have a clue what they were. I do now! Furthermore, it was not the “devil’s crowd” that did the persecuting and who created the hardship; it was “God’s people.” In my 50+ years of living, my family and I have never been treated as vilely and as cruelly as we were after we moved to Montana--by so-called “Christian friends.” Maybe one day I will be able to share the story with my readers. It is ghastly!
Old 31st January 2012, 06:35 PM   #50
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

"Ghastly?" Really? Is he a dowager from a Marx Brothers movie? Why, I never!
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2012, 08:33 PM   #51
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Poor Pastor Chuck has encountered some slings and arrows since he moved his extended family to The American Redoubt. I reckon that some of the locals aren't so warm and fuzzy about Baldwin's Christopia, unsuprisingly.
Interesting. I read that on his blog and assumed it meant that he got a slew of poison pen emails from former supporters. I realize now that that was just my interpretation as he doesn't really say one way or the other. I tend to lean that way, though.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2012, 08:59 PM   #52
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Endorsing someone who doesn't have a *********** chance no matter who it is, was better than endorsing Obama or McCain in 2008, yep.

See what I mean?
Kinda painted yourself into a corner with this whole Paultard thingy, huh?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2012, 07:50 AM   #53
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Interesting. I read that on his blog and assumed it meant that he got a slew of poison pen emails from former supporters. I realize now that that was just my interpretation as he doesn't really say one way or the other. I tend to lean that way, though.
Ah yes, I'll leep my eyes open for clues as I slog through Baldwin's voluminous published output. Speaking of which, here is further evidence confirming Pastor Chuck's adoption of The American Redoubt ideology:
It is our studied opinion that America is headed for an almost certain cataclysm. As Christians, we suspect that this cataclysm could include the judgment of God. As students of history, we believe that this cataclysm will most certainly include a fight between Big-Government globalists and freedom-loving, independent-minded patriots. I would even argue that this fight has already started. And as this battle escalates (and it will most assuredly escalate), only those states that are willing to stand and fight for their independence and freedom will survive--at least in a state of freedom. And we believe that God has already put the love of liberty deep into the hearts of the people of the Mountain States; and we further believe that God is already calling (and will continue to call) many other freedom lovers to those states.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:22 AM   #54
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
"Ghastly?" Really? Is he a dowager from a Marx Brothers movie? Why, I never!
Zounds and egads!
Old 1st February 2012, 02:39 PM   #55
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Well then, you should get a kick out of this.
I sat aghast as I watched the Republican Presidential debate in South Carolina and listened to hundreds of the GOP faithful (which included a great number of Christians) boo Congressman Ron Paul when he injected the Golden Rule into the discussion of America's foreign policy. To say I was stunned is the understatement of the year! Christians booing a Presidential candidate (who, himself, is a Christian) for suggesting that our country practices the Golden Rule? Egad! What's next? Christians cheering when people are thrown to the lions? I confess that I am flummoxed beyond words to describe!
Old 1st February 2012, 02:42 PM   #56
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

In fairness to Chuck, I was flummoxed by that response as well.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2012, 02:44 PM   #57
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Well then, you should get a kick out of this.
Sounds like the Beast is about to tear the Harlot a new one.
Old 1st February 2012, 07:14 PM   #58
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Anonymous hackers have uncovered direct ties between Paul and some unsavory people:

Ron Paul, the American Third Position Party and Stormfront

Quote:
Members of the nationalist American Third Position Party (A3P), whose website was defaced by Anonymous, organised Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul's meetings and campaigns, according emails hacked by the collective.

Chairman of the British National Party (BNP) Nick Griffin also took part in meetings with Paul and other representatives of A3P.

"According to these messages, Ron Paul has regularly met with many A3P members, even engaging in conference calls with their board of directors," read a statement from Anonymous.
. . .
In its statement, Anonymous said it put extra effort into hacking A3P webmaster Jamie Kelso, a key figure in organising Paul's meetings and conferences.

Anonymous Claims Neo-Nazi Links to Republican Ron Paul

Kelso, a former Scientologist and account owner of other German Nazi forums, became an active supporter of Paul in 2007. He was reportedly attracted to Paul because he believed the Republican's followers would be receptive to his white supremacist views. He described Paul as "implicitly white" and started to actively organise Paul's events.

"Let's appreciate this big (Paul) audience that's overwhelmingly white," Kelso said in an interview with the Southern Poverty Law Center. "This is our audience, this is our public. These are our people. If we can't persuade these people of the rightness of our cause, then we're finished," he said.
Old 1st February 2012, 08:26 PM   #59
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Anonymous hackers have uncovered direct ties between Paul and some unsavory people:

Ron Paul, the American Third Position Party and Stormfront
I'm shocked shocked shocked Ron Paul's ties to white supremacists are closer than he admits!
Old 1st February 2012, 08:37 PM   #60
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Red face

Wait- didn't the great Chomsky tell us that Paul was a "nice guy", and that he'd like to break bread with him?

I refuse to believe that Lord Chomsky could ever express such affection for someone with ties to disgusting racist groups and, um...

Last edited by trustbutverify; 1st February 2012 at 08:39 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:56 AM   #61
Border Reiver
Philosopher

The Golden Rule? In politics?

Which one? "Thou shalt not get caught" or "The one with the gold makes the rules"?
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:40 AM   #62
Suddenly
No Punting

Wait a minute...

Quote:
"Let's appreciate this big (Paul) audience that's overwhelmingly white," Kelso said in an interview with the Southern Poverty Law Center. "This is our audience, this is our public. These are our people. If we can't persuade these people of the rightness of our cause, then we're finished," he said.
...anyone else find Kelso giving the SPLC an interview highly weird?
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 09:34 AM   #63
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Zombie thread alert.

I was curious about Pastor Chuck's reaction to the Trump+Putin ties, seeing as he was frothing about Obama beng a Marxist. To my surprise, Chuck was a Putin fan even before Trump's candidacy.

A segment of the alt right is pro Putin. Odd times we live in.
Old 27th April 2019, 09:03 AM   #64
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

When I started this thread, I had no idea that I would find myself living in the American Redoubt. A lot of crazy stuff goes down around here.

State Representative Matt Shea, who represents Spokane, is a Christian Identity lunatic of a high order.

Shea distributed a manifesto titled Biblical Basis for War which advocates Biblical law, death to all men who oppose, and defines how to divvy up the booty acquired from the people they kill. This drew the attention of local law enforcement who referred Shea to the FBI.

Shea advocates for a new state, Liberty, that will operate under biblical law. The proposed state even has an official state gun -- an AR-15.

Shea conspired with local hate groups, developing strategies for committing violence against left wing enemies.

Shea waved a gun at a motorist in a road rage incident. He didn't have a conceal carry permit, was charged, but allowed to slide with a wrist slap.

Shea made his wife walk on his left because his warrior sword, if/when carried, goes on the right. That's the least of it, in terms of how he treated his wife, now divorced.

Unsurprisingly, Shea endorsed Ron Paul in the 2012 election cycle. Rolling Stone article about Shea. ISF thread about Shea.

Also unsurprisingly, Pastor Chuck is a Shea defender. Shea has been re-elected twice. Welcome to the American Redoubt.
Old 27th April 2019, 09:59 AM   #65
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Zombie thread alert.

I was curious about Pastor Chuck's reaction to the Trump+Putin ties, seeing as he was frothing about Obama beng a Marxist. To my surprise, Chuck was a Putin fan even before Trump's candidacy.

A segment of the alt right is pro Putin. Odd times we live in.
Which segment of the alt-right isn't pro-Putin?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 27th April 2019, 10:21 AM   #66
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Which segment of the alt-right isn't pro-Putin?
I've been slow on the uptake.
Old 27th April 2019, 10:36 AM   #67
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I've been slow on the uptake.
Don't be too hard on yourself. While virtually the entire alt-right loves Putin, there's probably only a slim plurality that support the idea of him taking over the US...
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 11:16 AM   #68
Venom
Master Poster

Ron Paul 2020!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 01:11 PM   #69
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It amusing to look back on late 2007, when some on the anti Iraq war left had a heavy duty flirtation going with Ron Paul because of Paul Anti Iraq war stand. "Rolling Stone" did a fawning cover story on him that pretty much ignored all the crazy and bigoted things Paul believed.
But as the truth took hold, that flirtation ended.
That the problem with one issue people: ignoring every issue but a single one never turns out well.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 07:58 PM   #70
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Don't be too hard on yourself. While virtually the entire alt-right loves Putin, there's probably only a slim plurality that support the idea of him taking over the US...
I'm still looking for a segment of the alt-left that isn't pro-Putin.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 1st May 2019, 03:26 AM   #71
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It amusing to look back on late 2007, when some on the anti Iraq war left had a heavy duty flirtation going with Ron Paul because of Paul Anti Iraq war stand. "Rolling Stone" did a fawning cover story on him that pretty much ignored all the crazy and bigoted things Paul believed.
That the problem with one issue people: ignoring every issue but a single one never turns out well.
At least it eventually did. That doesn't seem to be a given.
Old 1st May 2019, 10:04 AM   #72
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
At least it eventually did. That doesn't seem to be a given.
Indeed. Possibly the biggest problem the US has is that when the Right is confronted with new information, it doubles down instead of changing it’s stance. Eg. When information comes out that Russia worked really hard to make sure Trump go elected, instead of questioning why the Right changes it’s views and now loves Russia and everything it stands for,
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:56 AM   #73
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There was a classic thread on JREF, started by a user who was convinced Ron Paul could do no wrong. It hinged on the premise of Net neutrality and how it was such a good thing. When other users pointed out that Ron Paul was opposed to Net neutrality, things quickly went downhill...
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:50 PM   #74
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
There was a classic thread on JREF, started by a user who was convinced Ron Paul could do no wrong. It hinged on the premise of Net neutrality and how it was such a good thing. When other users pointed out that Ron Paul was opposed to Net neutrality, things quickly went downhill...
How could I have missed such spectacular entertainment? Do you have a link?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:12 PM   #75
carlitos
"más divertido"

Does anyone else look at this thread title and see "Christophera?"
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:51 PM   #76
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Rawles book might have found fans, but someone who conjures up gay communist cannibals as evil protagonists is more axe-grinder than fiction writer.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 06:05 PM   #77
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

At least Pastor Chuck doesn't excuse Trump. His brand of crazy transcends all.

Originally Posted by Chuck Baldwin, April 2019
The longer evangelical Christians continue to support Donald Trump’s radical pro-Israel, pro-war agenda, the deeper America will plunge into an anti-Christian country.
Old 8th May 2019, 10:02 AM   #78
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post

I thought you left.
Old 8th May 2019, 10:07 AM   #79
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post

I thought you left.
He died, check the date of the post you replied to.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 10:37 AM   #80
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
He died, check the date of the post you replied to.
I didn't know.

But he only died in our branches of the multiverse. I his branch, he has defeated the neo-nazis and has achieved immortality.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics