ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chuck Baldwin , constitution party , Don Black , James Rawles , Jamie Kelso , Matt Shea , ron paul , white supremacists

Old 30th May 2019, 06:37 AM   #81
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Matt Shea's proposed Liberty state is comprised of ID, MT, WY, and parts of WA and OR. Exactly like Pastor Chuck's Christopia.
Old 30th May 2019, 07:43 AM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I looked up Pastor Chuck when the thread first got bumped and discovered he even uses SovCit style funny punctuation in the names of people he likes.
Old 30th May 2019, 08:23 AM   #83
ahhell
Master Poster

The link in the op is currently down.

Here's an op ed piece that suggests that Ron Paul was primarily motivated by pettiness.

https://www.nolanchart.com/article49...k-baldwin-html

It claims he was pissed of at the LP candidate Bob Barr and the Constitution Party has a thin veneer of respecting constitutionally limited government. That being said, Ron Paul's religiousity and willingness to compromise with theocrats has always been rather at odds with his libertarianism.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 09:22 PM   #84
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Matt Shea's proposed Liberty state is comprised of ID, MT, WY, and parts of WA and OR. Exactly like Pastor Chuck's Christopia.

Quote:
At one point during her own speech, Shea’s legislative assistant, Rene’ Holaday, said supporters of the 51st state idea were bound by a common sentiment: “It’s either going to be bloodshed or Liberty State.”

For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 04:33 PM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
The link in the op is currently down.

Here's an op ed piece that suggests that Ron Paul was primarily motivated by pettiness.

https://www.nolanchart.com/article49...k-baldwin-html

It claims he was pissed of at the LP candidate Bob Barr and the Constitution Party has a thin veneer of respecting constitutionally limited government. That being said, Ron Paul's religiousity and willingness to compromise with theocrats has always been rather at odds with his libertarianism.
Given the incredible pettiness of feuds between Libertarians, I have no trouble believing that whatsoever.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 04:50 PM   #86
Hans
Philosopher

Is this tied in with the idea of the State of Jefferson?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 08:28 AM   #87
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Same nonsense, different location.
Old 5th June 2019, 06:57 AM   #88
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Its actually quite different. The state of Jefferson is being promoted almost entirely by people who actually live in northern CA and Southern OR due to their sense of being marginalized by the more populous portions of their states.

There is little to no religious component, though the more libertarian leanings of the region do play a role and a large minority of the residents that support it in theory*.

*in polls anyway, when it comes to actually voting and reality, it may not pan out.

Last edited by ahhell; 5th June 2019 at 07:03 AM.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 02:13 PM   #89
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It would probably end up a lot like "Rapture" in the original Bioshock game.....fall into total chaos and violence, even without the Sci Fi elements.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 02:23 PM   #90
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Not entirely true. There is no religious element to the Jefferson movement. Nor do they want to secede from the US, they just want to form a 51st state because they think there needs are ignored by the state governments of California and Oregon. They cite Maine and West Virginia as modesl for what they want to do.
They probably do have a Libertarian edge,but the leaders have to great lengths to distance themselves from the reverend Chuck's movement,
I think it's a silly and unworkable idea that will never happen,but it not quite fair to equate it with the dangerous looniness for the Rev. Chuck and company.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th June 2019, 11:14 PM   #91
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Its actually quite different. The state of Jefferson is being promoted almost entirely by people who actually live in northern CA and Southern OR due to their sense of being marginalized by the more populous portions of their states.

There is little to no religious component, though the more libertarian leanings of the region do play a role and a large minority of the residents that support it in theory*.

*in polls anyway, when it comes to actually voting and reality, it may not pan out.

*snorts*

Sure, the idiots that constantly put up State of Jefferson signs surely don't also always have signs showing their desire for a Biblical theocracy.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 03:09 AM   #92
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m a bit confused.

Are these guys trying to form their own country or their own state?

Also, in trying to understand the movement I stumbled across sites calling it a 51st state. If one takes all of Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming (with part of Oregon and Washington) then that leaves 47 states, so wouldn’t this be the 48th state? Aside: I imagine many of these folk venerate 48-star American flags, so they would be happy taking a step or two backward vexillologically speaking.
Old 11th June 2019, 02:04 AM   #93
Travis

By the way, this thread reminded me that I was out in front saying the American Right Wing would eventually fall in love with Putin. Just another thing I predicted, was shouted down on, and eventually it came to pass. Sound familiar? Just call me Cassandra.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:25 AM   #94
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Not entirely true. There is no religious element to the Jefferson movement. Nor do they want to secede from the US, they just want to form a 51st state because they think there needs are ignored by the state governments of California and Oregon. They cite Maine and West Virginia as modesl for what they want to do.
They probably do have a Libertarian edge,but the leaders have to great lengths to distance themselves from the reverend Chuck's movement,
I think it's a silly and unworkable idea that will never happen,but it not quite fair to equate it with the dangerous looniness for the Rev. Chuck and company.
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
*snorts*

Sure, the idiots that constantly put up State of Jefferson signs surely don't also always have signs showing their desire for a Biblical theocracy.
Yep, you're probably right.
Old 11th June 2019, 01:28 PM   #95
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I’m a bit confused.

Are these guys trying to form their own country or their own state?

Also, in trying to understand the movement I stumbled across sites calling it a 51st state. If one takes all of Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming (with part of Oregon and Washington) then that leaves 47 states, so wouldn’t this be the 48th state? Aside: I imagine many of these folk venerate 48-star American flags, so they would be happy taking a step or two backward vexillologically speaking.
They generally only want to take PARTS of those states. They specifically DON'T want the more urban parts, which are inhabited by filthy liberals and inferior races.

The one would take northwestern Montana, northern Idaho, eastern Washington, and maybe a bit of northeast Oregon. The other would be southern Oregon and northern California, getting them out from under the influence of places like Portland and San Francisco.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:10 AM   #96
Travis

Yep, you're probably right.
It might not be the same all over but around here the Jefferson signs are always accompanied by right wing Christian nuttery. Thankfully, even in my conservative county, they are a very vocal but hugely outnumbered minority.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics