ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th February 2012, 02:49 PM   #121
JJM 777
Illuminator

I think I know what enlightenment is supposed to mean. Nirvana. Expanded consciousness. In 1960´s it was popular to accept drugs (and sex) as a means of pursuing such mental state.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 02:51 PM   #122
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
My universal translator seems to be malfunctioning.
It seems nowornever was unceremoniously dejacked from the matrix midpost.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 02:56 PM   #123
nowornever
Thinker

arthwollipot-I am asking about it for you...
Do you understand my answer?
Lamuella-being enlightened means Jesus, Buddha etc etc
PixyMisa-is still afraid to classify himself to enneagram. Shame on you.
[url]http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test.php[/url
jond-what brings me to these fora is care for you. That's all. Understood?
tsig-where to get certification? Humanity has never had so many enlightened teachers as now. Don't fool yourself that you cannot find him or her around you! Use google.
Complexity-understanding cannot help you.
Hokulele-once I have attained enlightenment I could help you.
SusanB-M1-the thread is about whether you are enlightened or not.
Edited by Lisa Simpson:  Edited to remove posted and posted and posted content.

arduk, punshhh, Andrew Wiggin, !!!snow sick!!! !!Abakus!! !!kevgibbo !Kaggen!Special !Xx+-Rational-+xX! !Xx-Credulous-xX! $orabji! ><>fish "Astral"Girl? *AdamNailor* *THORN* -42-, Justinian2, Lukraak_Sisser, PixyMisa, Multivac, JJM 777, Darat, zooterkin,RobDegraves, Rosemary and Thyme, tsig, Brainache,RobRoy, crimresearch, Bill Thompson 75, Dessi,

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 15th February 2012 at 06:53 PM.
nowornever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 02:56 PM   #124
jond
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by nowornever View Post
tsig-where to get certification? Humanity has never had so many enlightened teachers as now. Don't fool yourself that you cannot find him or her around you! Use google.
"1 The Perfectionist
2 The Giver ZM Soeng Hyang
3 The Performer ZM Seung Sahn, ZM Bon Shim
4 The Tragic Romantic Roshi Kwong, Dr. Roland Wohrle-Chon JDPSN
5 The Observer starduster 5in4, ZM Wu Bong
6 The Loyal Skeptic Buddha Sakyamuni, U.G.Krishnamurti,
7 The Epicure ZM Dae Bong, ZM BonYo, Jo Potter JDPSN
8 The Protector Esoteric, ZM Dae Jin, Andrzej Piotrowski JDPSN
9 The MediatorNON,DalajL.,Ghandi,J Krishnai,Ja An PSN,Myong Oh PSN, punshhh"

arduk, punshhh, Andrew Wiggin, !!!snow sick!!! !!Abakus!! !!kevgibbo !Kaggen!Special !Xx+-Rational-+xX! !Xx-Credulous-xX! $orabji! ><>fish "Astral"Girl? *AdamNailor* *THORN* -42-, Justinian2, Lukraak_Sisser, PixyMisa, Multivac, JJM 777, Darat, zooterkin,RobDegraves, Rosemary and Thyme, tsig, Brainache,RobRoy, crimresearch, Bill Thompson 75, Dessi,
You care for us all? How wonderful. You have certainly brought us much laughter, though that's probably not what you intended!
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 02:58 PM   #125
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Originally Posted by JJM 777 View Post
I think I know what enlightenment is supposed to mean. Nirvana. Expanded consciousness.
Nope, that's the exact opposite of nirvana. And look where drugs took Nirvana.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:00 PM   #126
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

"1 The Perfectionist
3 The Performer ZM Seung Sahn, ZM Bon Shim

Shoehorn, unicorn, Murgatroyd.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:00 PM   #127
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
So far, you're the most enlightened one in the thread. Here's your certificate:

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|~...............................~|
|~.....Let it be Known.....~|
|~....to All and Sundry....~|
|~.....RobRoy Gets It......~|
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
I'm printing this out and framing it. Not an expensive frame though, I don't expect my ability to get it will last.

I think I know what enlightenment is supposed to mean. Nirvana. Expanded consciousness. In 1960´s it was popular to accept drugs (and sex) as a means of pursuing such mental state.
So what I did in college actually had a purpose!?

[snip]

Yes?

Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim.

All your base are belong to us.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:03 PM   #128
nowornever
Thinker

Where are the following masters in the enneagram?
http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test.php
Ron_Tomkins is afraid to take this test
arduk, punshhh, Andrew Wiggin, !!!snow sick!!! !!Abakus!! !!kevgibbo !Kaggen!Special !Xx+-Rational-+xX! !Xx-Credulous-xX! $orabji! ><>fish "Astral"Girl? *AdamNailor* *THORN* -42-, Justinian2, Lukraak_Sisser, PixyMisa, Multivac, JJM 777, Darat, zooterkin,RobDegraves, Rosemary and Thyme, tsig, Brainache, crimresearch, Bill Thompson 75, Dessi,

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 15th February 2012 at 06:54 PM.
nowornever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:04 PM   #129
Dessi
Species Traitor

arduk, punshhh, Andrew Wiggin, !!!snow sick!!! !!Abakus!! !!kevgibbo !Kaggen!Special !Xx+-Rational-+xX! !Xx-Credulous-xX! $orabji! ><>fish "Astral"Girl? *AdamNailor* *THORN* -42-, Justinian2, Lukraak_Sisser, PixyMisa, Multivac, JJM 777, Darat, zooterkin,RobDegraves, Rosemary and Thyme, tsig, Brainache, crimresearch, Bill Thompson 75, Dessi,

1 The Perfectionist
2 The Giver
3 The Performer
4 The Tragic Romantic
5 The Observer
6 The Loyal Skeptic
7 The Epicure
8 The Protector
9 The Mediator
#3.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:08 PM   #130
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

1 The Perfectionist
2 The Giver
3 The Performer
4 The Tragic Romantic
5 The Observer
6 The Loyal Skeptic
7 The Epicure
8 The Protector
9 The Mediator
Have you tried the Dark Side? It's kinda fun.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:13 PM   #131
jond
Graduate Poster

1 The Perfectionist
2 The Giver
3 The Performer
4 The Tragic Romantic
5 The Observer
6 The Loyal Skeptic
7 The Epicure
8 The Protector
9 The Mediator
Why do you feel the need to categorize people? The enneagram is nonsense. Open your mind to the possibility that you are being I'll informed by your masters.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:13 PM   #132
Donn
Illuminator

I think WTF??!!? has never had a more fitting moment than this thread.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:13 PM   #133
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

1 The Perfectionist
2 The Giver
3 The Performer
4 The Tragic Romantic
5 The Observer
6 The Loyal Skeptic
7 The Epicure
8 The Protector
9 The Mediator
Just out of curiosity, do you expect people to fit into just one of the above categories? Someone could conceivably have all of the above qualities.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:14 PM   #134
nowornever
Thinker

Ron_Tomkins and jond and Donn and Foster Zygote and RobRoy are afraid to take this test.

Old 15th February 2012, 03:16 PM   #135
jond
Graduate Poster

Just out of curiosity, do you expect people to fit into just one of the above categories? Someone could conceivably have all of the above qualities.
Given that he didn't respond to my more detailed analysis of same earlier in the thread, I'm guessing your question will go unanswered...
Old 15th February 2012, 03:17 PM   #136
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Screw that! I'm not answering 14 pages of anything to attempt to prove something to you. Worse than that, some of these questions are very poorly written:
"I am too strict with myself and others."
That's a two-part question to which you can't readily address an appropriate answer. I am sometimes strict on myself when it comes to certain elements of my life, like my career or responsibilities I take on, I'm far less strict than I should be about other aspects, like my fiction writing. I'm pretty balanced when it comes to my children, but then I have my wife to help me with that. I know I'm too strict (and I would be stricter without the aforementioned wife) with my debate students. I'm incredibly lax when it comes to most of my friends and my family. Is any of that meaningful in relation to the three answers provided in a radio button marked "partly"?

I'm not even going to go into the more obvious questions or "who built this test" or "based on what protocols" or "how long has it been used" or "what peer-research has been done". The Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator is a reasonably long-lived and very well researched and reviewed test. It's actually fun to take (if you like that kind of thing, which I do), and you can get different results on different days, depending on what's happened to you. You can even get different results on the same day.

And you expect us to take this test to prove what to you? That we're capable of teaching you something? My friend, I have news for you. You have questions, ask them. This forum has a host of people far more learned and intelligent than I am, and capable of some impressive thinking and responses. Pigeon-holing people to try to align yourself with what you think you need will only result in people trapped in really tiny holes wondering why they allowed you to put them there.

Some people have tried to engage you already, but you seem far too interested in this test, than you are in actual discussion and discovery.

Last edited by RobRoy; 15th February 2012 at 03:18 PM.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:29 PM   #137
nowornever
Thinker

The One is impassioned by anger and fixated on perfectionism – a path to satori is patience, the willingness to accept conditions that do not conform to one's ideal.

Twos have the passion of pride and when fixated on entitlement their caring for others is conditional – a path to satori is loving kindness, which is true compassion without expectation.

The passion of Threes is vanity, their fixation is deception (the need to always see oneself and be see as successful) – truthfulness, speaking from the essential self and not through personality needs, is a way to satori.

Fours live with the passion of envy and the fixation of dissatisfaction – satori can be sought through equanimity; seeing all events as intrinsically neutral; it is desire that grades things as "good" or "bad."

Fives have the passion of hoarding, with a fixation on detachment (they seek information but keep themselves from emotional connection) – they can seek satori through generosity, giving freely of oneself so energy flows in the other direction.

For Sixes, fear is the passion (experienced as anxiety or hyper-vigilance), accusation the fixation – satori becomes possible with morality; living with integrity, recognizing one's own contribution to situations instead of playing victim.

Sevens are driven by the passion of gluttony, with enthusiasm as a fixation (having fun and "the good life") – a path to satori is the well-known one of renunciation, seeking moderation and letting go of materialism.

The Eight fixation on power and control stems from the passion of excess – wisdom is a way to satori; a shift to more altruistic and benign modes of operating, a focus on service to the world.

Indolence is the Nine's passion; the fixation is self-forgetting (resulting from their other-directedness) – energy is a way to satori for Nines; the willingness to stay focused on their own purpose, without distraction.

Ron_Tomkins and jond and Donn and Foster Zygote and RobRoy are afraid to take this test.

Old 15th February 2012, 03:29 PM   #138
Kid Eager
Illuminator

Stupid survey - it tells me it can't work out what I am - I might be a 3 or a 9 but I might be one of the others as well.

Survey is flawed, so conclusions from survey are also flawed.

The tool is broken and this thread is invalid.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:32 PM   #139
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

No, I'm just asking you to demonstrate how it isn't utter nonsense, like the folded paper games that little girls use to see who they are going to marry and how many kids they will have.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:35 PM   #140
jond
Graduate Poster

The One is impassioned by anger and fixated on perfectionism – a path to satori is patience, the willingness to accept conditions that do not conform to one's ideal.

Twos have the passion of pride and when fixated on entitlement their caring for others is conditional – a path to satori is loving kindness, which is true compassion without expectation.

The passion of Threes is vanity, their fixation is deception (the need to always see oneself and be see as successful) – truthfulness, speaking from the essential self and not through personality needs, is a way to satori.

Fours live with the passion of envy and the fixation of dissatisfaction – satori can be sought through equanimity; seeing all events as intrinsically neutral; it is desire that grades things as "good" or "bad."

Fives have the passion of hoarding, with a fixation on detachment (they seek information but keep themselves from emotional connection) – they can seek satori through generosity, giving freely of oneself so energy flows in the other direction.

For Sixes, fear is the passion (experienced as anxiety or hyper-vigilance), accusation the fixation – satori becomes possible with morality; living with integrity, recognizing one's own contribution to situations instead of playing victim.

Sevens are driven by the passion of gluttony, with enthusiasm as a fixation (having fun and "the good life") – a path to satori is the well-known one of renunciation, seeking moderation and letting go of materialism.

The Eight fixation on power and control stems from the passion of excess – wisdom is a way to satori; a shift to more altruistic and benign modes of operating, a focus on service to the world.

Indolence is the Nine's passion; the fixation is self-forgetting (resulting from their other-directedness) – energy is a way to satori for Nines; the willingness to stay focused on their own purpose, without distraction.

"1 The Perfectionist
3 The Performer ZM Seung Sahn, ZM Bon Shim, Dessi
How did you determine that I'm afraid to take the test? Did you not read my earlier post in which I relayed my history with the enneagram? You responded to my question to you, but missed all the content. Further, masters of the enneagram will tell you that they can instantly figure out what "type" a person is. No need for a silly test. So what do you think I am? I will tell you that I've been sized up as a 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 by various "experts."
Old 15th February 2012, 03:36 PM   #141
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Given that he didn't respond to my more detailed analysis of same earlier in the thread, I'm guessing your question will go unanswered...
Yeah. There comes a point when the question, "Is this guy pooping his pants on the bus because he doesn't know any better or because he likes the commotion it causes?" is a bit irrelevant. Either way, it's time to get off the bus.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:36 PM   #142
nowornever
Thinker

Foster Zygote-don't get off the bus, please. I want to learn from you. Repeat your question, please.
Ron_Tomkins and Donn and RobRoy are afraid to take this test.

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 15th February 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:38 PM   #143
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

How did you determine that I'm afraid to take the test? Did you not read my earlier post in which I relayed my history with the enneagram? You responded to my question to you, but missed all the content. Further, masters of the enneagram will tell you that they can instantly figure out what "type" a person is. No need for a silly test. So what do you think I am? I will tell you that I've been sized up as a 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 by various "experts."
I hear Milton Berle was at least an 11.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:39 PM   #144
jond
Graduate Poster

Yeah. There comes a point when the question, "Is this guy pooping his pants on the bus because he doesn't know any better or because he likes the commotion it causes?" is a bit irrelevant. Either way, it's time to get off the bus.
It's very close to being time to get off the bus. I'll be curious to see if he ever answers a question, or whether he keeps parroting the same file until the mods shut it down. Silly me, I hope he might be here to learn.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:40 PM   #145
jond
Graduate Poster

I hear Milton Berle was at least an 11.
As is the great master Nigel.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:42 PM   #146
jond
Graduate Poster

It occurs to me that it is high time for the enlightened master FZ to make an appearance:

The mystery man came over, and said "I'm outta sight."
He said for a nominal service charge, I could reach nirvana tonight.
If I was ready willing and able to pay him his regular fee,
He'd drop all the rest of his pressing affairs and devote his attention to me.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:43 PM   #147
nowornever
Thinker

Piscivore-what is your question? I am not afraid of answering. Please remind me of the question.
RobRoy-I am nine, NON, nowornever, Tomek.
Foster Zygote-don't get off the bus, please. I want to learn from you. Repeat your question, please. I am doing this because I love you. Not only you, all people and all things.
Ron_Tomkins and Donn and RobRoy and Hellbound are afraid to take this test.

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 15th February 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:48 PM   #148
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

I think you are afraid to respond to me.

Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:50 PM   #149
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Repeat your question, please.
Has it occurred to you to simply scroll up and re-read it?
Old 15th February 2012, 03:50 PM   #150
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Hmm.

I tried again, and this time I got pi.

I think something's wrong with your test.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:54 PM   #151
AlBell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson 75 View Post
I am self-enlightened and therefore self-certified.
Being enlightened means that I realize that other people who want to learn from me actually want to suck all the energy out of my life-force.

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, "Anyone who thinks they can learn anything from an online forum has a fool for a teacher."
Or as Gen. Jack Ripper said, "irreplaceable loss of precious bodily fluids".
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 03:55 PM   #152
nowornever
Thinker

AlBell-will you kindly take the test and judge it afterwards?
Piscivore-what is your question? I am not afraid of answering. Please remind me of the question.
Foster Zygote I read your question-don't get off the bus, please. I want to learn from you. I am doing this because I love you. Not only you, all people and all things.
Ron_Tomkins and Donn and Hellbound and beachnut and crimresearch are afraid to take this test.

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 15th February 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:56 PM   #153
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
... All at a sweet € 10.000. And I throw in the secrets of positive thinking for free. ...
A pint of Guinness?

Who is religiously enlightened here?
c'est moi

"I have slipped... "

Last edited by beachnut; 15th February 2012 at 04:03 PM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 04:00 PM   #154
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
Agree! I've read all through this thread up to your post and still haven't any idea what the OP is about!!
It is about Nak-si, just ask him.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 04:03 PM   #155
crimresearch
Alumbrado

And in 1994 Nirvana, drugs, and finding true enlightment took on a whole 'nother meaning...
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2012, 04:03 PM   #156
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Ron_Tomkins and Donn and RobRoy are afraid to take this test.
Indeed. I'm afraid it's a waste of my time.

Old 15th February 2012, 04:07 PM   #157
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Well, I'm bored.
Old 15th February 2012, 04:07 PM   #158
crimresearch
Alumbrado

It occurs to me that it is high time for the enlightened master FZ to make an appearance:

The mystery man came over, and said "I'm outta sight."
He said for a nominal service charge, I could reach nirvana tonight.
If I was ready willing and able to pay him his regular fee,
He'd drop all the rest of his pressing affairs and devote his attention to me.
Make all donation checks out to the Church of American Secular Humanism - just write C.A.SH. on the front.

Now that's enlightened...
Old 15th February 2012, 04:08 PM   #159
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

There are several, in two threads. Perhaps if you were not so eager to show of the useless shiny thing you found in the gutter you could pay attention better.

Old 15th February 2012, 04:08 PM   #160
nowornever
Thinker

AlBell-will you kindly take the test and judge it afterwards?
Piscivore-I am sorry about my inattention. Thank you for your teaching.
Foster Zygote I read your question-don't get off the bus, please. I want to learn from you. I am doing this because I love you. Not only you, all people and all things.
Ron_Tomkins and Donn and Hellbound and beachnut and crimresearch are afraid to take this test.

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 15th February 2012 at 06:56 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy