ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 22nd February 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
foxholeatheist
Graduate Poster

Should Bigfoot be shot? Hypothetical...

Choose your own adventure:

You've been tracking a herd of Elk through the Blue Mountains of southwest Washington for the better part of the morning. It's the last day of Elk season and still have an 'Any Bull' tag to fill. You've seen/heard nothing until the last morning. You've followed the early morning bugling to a nearby valley.

You assume the low crawl as you crest a ridge overlooking the valley. Cradling your Remington 700 30.06 in the crook of your elbows, taking great care to keep the muzzle out of the fresh snow you hold below the remaining early-winter vegetation to cover your silhouette.

In the valley below you note a dozen dark shapes against the snow. The only vegetation above the accumulating snow is on the slopes flanking the valley. You bring up your range-finding binoculars and control your excitement as you observe several large fat cows grazing on the green moss under the snow. As you scan the herd you pick out a fine, 8X8 Bull that would yield several hundreds pounds of lean 100% organic meat and make a fine mount for your den. 400 yards out, standing broadside, an easy shot considering the target and your pre-season range time.

You slowly lower your optics and extend the legs of your weapon's bipod. You bring the weapon to your shoulder and quietly chamber a round.

As you search the herd with the crosshairs of your scope you notice another animal in the foreground. This animal is dark, bipedal and grazing on the lower branches of the nearer trees. This animal is clearly a biological creature not showing any outward signs of being a man in a costume. This animal is standing only about 150 yards away downhill from your position.

Do you:

A. Aim for center mass, approximate heart/lung shot in the upper portion of the torso. Squeeze the trigger and hope for a clean kill?

B. Aim for the lower limbs, hoping for a crippling shot and track it?

C. Lower your rifle and track/observe the animal as far as possible?

D. Collect your Elk and see what reaction the unidentified animal has?

E. Other?

Explain.

My Band!
The Heimlich County Gun Club
foxholeatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

It would be hard to shoot it, because the whole man-in-a-costume thing would be rattling around in my head. But if I was sure it was a Bigfoot, I'd shoot it, and I wouldn't shoot to wound, either. Right in the pump.

Follow up question: What would be the best rifle for actually hunting Bigfoot. This question has been discussed at length at my job. So far, the contenders are:

A: AR-style platform chambered in .308
B: Lever action carbine big bore (.458 WinMag, etc)
C: An express rifle in safari caliber (.375 H&H) My personal choice.
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:40 PM   #3
foxholeatheist
Graduate Poster

I think the .308 would be a little under powered. I went on a managed red deer hunt in Texas and my buddy used a .308. I hate it when follow up shots are required.

I gave a range of 150 yards which should be OK for a .308. Big AR style rifles intrigue me.

My next gun will be a Siaga .308 converted. Well, would be if I wasn't on orders.

Good choice at short range. I would go with a 45-70 lever. Classy, tons of punch at short range.

Medium to long range I would go for a .300 WIN MAG.

My Band!
foxholeatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

I'd track it and try to get pictures and video of it

I wouldn't shoot it unless it was directly threatening myself or another person. I don't its worth killing a potentially intelligent and potentially endangered animal to prove its existence (not to mention the 99.9% chance its just some bozo in a halloween costume)
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

We were thinking worst case scenario. Like you're on his trail when all of a sudden a big Squatch comes boiling out of the brush with rape, murder or both on his mind.

That's why I picked the double rifle. Guys in Africa feel it's OK to use when following up on a wounded buff, so I figured it'd be sufficient for a Squatch.
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:55 PM   #6
foxholeatheist
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post

I wouldn't shoot it unless it was directly threatening myself or another person. I don't its worth killing a potentially intelligent and potentially endangered animal to prove its existence (not to mention the 99.9% chance its just some bozo in a halloween costume)
My wife and I got into a quiet animated fight over this and this was the position she took. I maintain that photos alone would not absolutely prove the existence of the animal. A corpse would.

If this situation was presented to me I would not take the shot because the chances that it's, as you describe, just some bozo in a halloween costume are overwhelming compared to the odds that it's a as of yet undiscovered animal. If I could somehow positively rule out a hoax I think I would put one right in the aorta.

My Band!
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:15 PM   #7
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post

This is pretty much my position; too great a danger of it being human and I wouldn't plan on eating it.
catsmate1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:17 PM   #8
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by foxholeatheist View Post
I maintain that photos alone would not absolutely prove the existence of the animal. A corpse would.
true, but i think id rather be another loon who thinks he saw bigfoot than the man who killed bigfoot
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:35 PM   #9
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate

I'd shoot to cripple, not to kill. Chances are it's a human; no felony charges involved if you don't kill them. And on the (very) off chance that it is the Boss of the Woods, a crippled one still proves the existence of the species.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:17 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by foxholeatheist
E. Other?

Explain.
1. Assume that it isn't a Bigfoot. You see a biped and it might be a standing bear or person (you only said dark biped). You say to yourself that it looks like a genuine Bigfoot but think that you are wrong.

2. Continue to observe. Try to determine if you are seeing a bear or human.

3. Yell at at. If you are determined and still uncertain then holler something. Be prepared for a bear reaction or a person turning to address you.

4. Shoot well over the head. If you get to this point for some reason this should elicit a reaction. Again prepare for a bear reaction or a person possibly trying to get your attention ("don't shoot").

5. Don't shoot it unless it attacks you. If it does, aim for center of chest (if upright) and between eyes if a charging bear. Shoot multiple times trying to maintain aiming control.

Last edited by William Parcher; 22nd February 2012 at 07:18 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:27 PM   #11
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If you wound a guy in a suit, you will be in big trouble. You will be paying for that forever.
Shooting to wound is a flawed concept altogether imo. You shoot to kill, or you don't shoot.

I don't know how you would ever be certain it was not a human in a suit.

However, if we skip over that problem and take for granted that it is an actual sasquatch, well it's an incredibly rare creature. I would not kill it unless it was him or me.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:39 PM   #12
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
I'd shoot to cripple, not to kill. Chances are it's a human; no felony charges involved if you don't kill them. And on the (very) off chance that it is the Boss of the Woods, a crippled one still proves the existence of the species.
In what world would it not be a felony to shoot at a guy in a gorilla suit with the intent to wound him? I can imagine it now, "Sorry Your Honor, I thought he was Bigfoot." Yeah, that will hold up in court.

If I were to see something that I actually believed to be bigfoot and somehow definitively ID-ed it as a non-human animal, I can't imagine shooting the thing. They'd have to be severely endangered, and killing one would just be wrong, especially if we're talking about the ape-man version of things, where bigfoot is comparable to a chimp or gorilla in cognition. Would it be so hard to mark your position and return with a team of dogs and/or someone vaguely reputable to help with the search? (as opposed to the typical group involving you, your brother-in-law Bubba, and his cousin's uncle Ferd.)

It would also most likely be illegal. At least in the states I've lived, it's not permissible to simply run around shooting anything that looks interesting just because you're curious.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Marduk
Banned

you guys got no sense of adventure, I'd take it on with a fruit knife
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Vortigern99
Philosopher

I'd kung fu it in the brain pan.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:02 PM   #15
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
I'd kung fu it in the brain pan.
yeah, these primitive humans would have no way to react to modern martial arts, you could slap one around for ages and make them look silly

careful if it uproots a tree and swings for you though, you might need to karate chop it into unconsciousness
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:39 PM   #16
DennyT
Master Poster

who are these guys?
Anyone who takes a shot at a "bigfoot" should be sent to jail, and have his hunting privileges permanently removed. I'd never hunt with anyone who had some idea that bigfoot was real.

btw a 243 is adequate for elk for me. I would never take a shot longer than 150-200 yards regardless of what caliber I was carrying (I own a 243, a 308, and a 44 mag Colt revolver) because hunting situations are different than having a sandbag rest at the range. But mostly I hunt elk with a Mathews bow.
p.

Last edited by DennyT; 22nd February 2012 at 09:49 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:17 PM   #17
rofl
Scholar

dude, a dead bigfoot will get them endangered species protection and maybe a minority race rights platform. Maim bigfoot and you will never get laid again!!!
rofl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Nobody will believe me unless I bring a dead body back.

Guess nobody is going to believe me.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:47 PM   #19
captain koolaid
Critical Thinker

Choose your own adventure:

You've been tracking a herd of Elk through the Blue Mountains of southwest Washington for the better part of the morning. It's the last day of Elk season and still have an 'Any Bull' tag to fill. You've seen/heard nothing until the last morning. You've followed the early morning bugling to a nearby valley.

You assume the low crawl as you crest a ridge overlooking the valley. Cradling your Remington 700 30.06 in the crook of your elbows, taking great care to keep the muzzle out of the fresh snow you hold below the remaining early-winter vegetation to cover your silhouette.

In the valley below you note a dozen dark shapes against the snow. The only vegetation above the accumulating snow is on the slopes flanking the valley. You bring up your range-finding binoculars and control your excitement as you observe several large fat cows grazing on the green moss under the snow. As you scan the herd you pick out a fine, 8X8 Bull that would yield several hundreds pounds of lean 100% organic meat and make a fine mount for your den. 400 yards out, standing broadside, an easy shot considering the target and your pre-season range time.

You slowly lower your optics and extend the legs of your weapon's bipod. You bring the weapon to your shoulder and quietly chamber a round.

As you search the herd with the crosshairs of your scope you notice another animal in the foreground. This animal is dark, bipedal and grazing on the lower branches of the nearer trees. This animal is clearly a biological creature not showing any outward signs of being a man in a costume. This animal is standing only about 150 yards away downhill from your position.

Do you:

A. Aim for center mass, approximate heart/lung shot in the upper portion of the torso. Squeeze the trigger and hope for a clean kill?

B. Aim for the lower limbs, hoping for a crippling shot and track it?

C. Lower your rifle and track/observe the animal as far as possible?

D. Collect your Elk and see what reaction the unidentified animal has?

E. Other?

Explain.

Definitely "option E: Other"... Leave the area. That Remington 30.06 is not enough firepower to deal with Bigfoot. Them bastards are tough to put down, are crazy mean and will take your head off. Use an M60, at least. A 50 cal just to be sure. I prefer a minigun, for Sasquatch killin'. But, the M60 can get the job done, in a pinch.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:59 PM   #20
gabeygoat
Muse

My wife and I got into a quiet animated fight

I love this imagery. I picture two angry mimes going at it.
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:02 AM   #21
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Shooting to wound is a flawed concept altogether imo. You shoot to kill, or you don't shoot.
thats what ive always been taught. theres no such thing as "shoot to wound" you never (EVER) shoot (or even point your gun at) anything you arent willing to kill

you can intend to wound all you want, but a firearm is still a deadly weapon. if you miss and hit the chest or head, bigfoots dead. you can even manage to hit a leg but sever the femoral artery and bigfoot bleeds out in a matter minutes

as i said in previous posts, im not prepared to kill a potential bigfoot, so i would not take a shot at one
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:20 AM   #22
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
I love this imagery. I picture two angry mimes going at it.
Almost. They made some flip book animations of them waving their arms and shouting, then silently flipped them at each other.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:36 AM   #23
River
Illuminator

I would say don't shoot because you're most likely going to be shooting at either a person or a misidentified something else.

That said if someone ever hoaxes me in a suit I will chase it down and tackle it, and beat the crap out of the "bigfoot" for general purposes. (im in pretty good shape and can run for a long time) I dont think bigfoot expects to be chased. Might be fun ;-)
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:44 AM   #24
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

If the hypothetical bigfoot is a primate, I'd expect that the laws governing treatment of primates would apply, and I don't think there's a north american monkey hunting season. Worst case, it's clearly a bigfoot in appearance, but the DNA comes back close enough to argue that you just shot a man. A big, hairy, uncivilized man, but a man nonetheless.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:40 AM   #25
Brattus
Graduate Poster

Once I realized Bigfoot couldn't see me because I was covered in mud. I would then make traps using nothing but things in my surroundings.
I then would climb a tree and let out a jungle war cry then shoot a explosive arrow at it.
The arrow would miss but I............................OH Wait..........................OH OK................Never mind.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:43 AM   #26
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I would tempt him with some tasty Jack Link offerings. Later, I'd make him toss a pig.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:55 AM   #27
Wolrab
Master Poster

It's the last day of elk season! Fill your tag, see how magna pede reacts,then check for any physical evidence if he doesn't start screaming, Don't shoot!"
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:59 AM   #28
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

I would take a photo with a camera I was deliberately shaking and had set out of focus. Then after the bigfoot group left I would carefully look for tracks and take a cast of the phoniest-looking one I could find. Then when I was absolutely sure I knew where the bigfoot group was and that I could either shoot one or take clear photos, I would leave immediately and never come back. Then I'd tell my story on the Internet and maybe make some money on TV.

It's the only thing a sane person could do.
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:20 AM   #29
fagin
Graduate Poster

I'd ignore bigfoot and take the unicorn out. Would look better on the wall.
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:21 AM   #30
EHocking
Philosopher

...Explain.
Shooting specimens for natural history study is so 18th century.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:51 AM   #31
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by captain koolaid View Post
Definitely "option E: Other"... Leave the area. That Remington 30.06 is not enough firepower to deal with Bigfoot. Them bastards are tough to put down, are crazy mean and will take your head off. Use an M60, at least. A 50 cal just to be sure. I prefer a minigun, for Sasquatch killin'. But, the M60 can get the job done, in a pinch.
Well, an M60 is 7.62 Nato/.308 Winchester...

Roughly the same killing power as the '06 with a little edge to the '06.

Of course the M60 can fire full auto...

Unless you meant the M60 Patton main battle tank...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:02 AM   #32
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Easy question.

I'd shoot it with a .44 magnum. It's the most powerful handgun in the world. So I guess he'd have to ask himself a question. Did I shoot six times or only five? Does he feel lucky?

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:04 AM   #33
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Easy question.

I'd shoot it with a .44 magnum. It's the most powerful handgun in the world. So I guess he'd have to ask himself a question. Did I shoot six times or only five? Does he feel lucky?
Not by quite a bit anymore, and by the time you got the line said, bigfoot would be tearing your arms off.

(and forcing you to reveal the location of your baked bean stash)

Old 23rd February 2012, 08:24 AM   #34
DennyT
Master Poster

call in A10 Warthogs, with GAU-8/A Avenger Gatlings; 3900 rounds a minute/65 rounds a second, projectiles half the size of a beer can, four-to-one mix of PGU-14/B Armor Piercing Incendiary (depleted uranium) @3250 fps plus the speed of the aircraft. The GAU-8/A accuracy when installed in the A-10 is rated at "5 mil, 80 percent", meaning that 80 percent of rounds fired at 4,000 feet (1,200 m) will hit the target within a 40 feet (12 m) diameter circle. The overall impression from the ground is God unzipping the earth. Bigfoot will wish he didn't exist.

Avenger next to a VW.

Last edited by DennyT; 23rd February 2012 at 08:53 AM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:33 AM   #35
Aepervius
Philosopher

If you find a rel bigfoot, and are sure it is a bigfoot,100% , and not a human in costume or even a human with too many hair, then shoot it. I wanna taste mythical meat.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:42 AM   #36
wankels
New Blood

Bigfoot

You guys are totally missing the point. There is a large bipedal humanoid form in your viewfinder. It is grazing with the elk. How could a human get close enough to an elk, let alone feed with them. Elk are very skittish and bolt whenever a human gets close to them.
Either the animal in question is something you are imagining or it is a viable unknown animal. I would hopefully have to not shoot the unknown animal but take plenty of pictures or video. I would try to take a large grazing elk to fill my tag with my 30-06. I took down a wild boar on a hunt many years ago with a mini 14 with one shot so there wouldn't be a question my 30-06 would be plenty of fire power if the cause arises. Hmmmm, wonder what a bigfoot tastes like. Bet it tastes like chicken.
wankels is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:44 AM   #37
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

I don't see the problem with killing a single specimen in the interest of science, even if it is an endangered species. As for the notion of it being some kind of off-shoot species of human, or a non-human but sentient creature, those are too silly for serious consideration. I'd say that if you were confronted by a "bigfoot" who is looking at you and you are holding a gun, at least point the gun at it, and you would find out very quickly if it's a man in a suit. Otherwise, even if one bigfoot is killed, it's not going to open some kind of flood gates to go out "huntin' 'foot" because clearly the opportunities for bagging one are rare in the extreme (clearly, this is one animal that would not need to be listed as endangered in order to be protected). The only other possibility is the idea of the Native American shaman doing the "wild man" thing. That is the only way that Bigfoot could be humanoid without being a deliberate hoax. I do agree with Ehocking that shooting specimens for scientific study is rather out of date. Scientists are able to study any animal they want to (conceding that giant squids are a bit difficult) without having to do that, which is what bigfoot believers just don't seem to comprehend.

After having typed that, I'm wondering now if the word Bigfoot in the thread title should be in quotes, since many of the posts are suggesting that you would likely be shooting a man in a suit (which I have to agree with). So, really we have two possible questions:
1) Should Bigfoot be shot? (where Bigfoot is some as-yet-unidentified animal, but absolutely an animal)
2) Should "bigfoot" be shot? (meaning is it morally acceptable to take a shot at something that we clearly know can only be a man in a suit, since Bigfoot is a myth?)

My answer to question #1 would be Yes, and my answer to question #2 would be No.

Another thought: that fact that no one has yet shot a man in a suit or something else thinking that it was Bigfoot, leads me to wonder if anyone really believes that they are seeing Bigfoot at the moment of the sighting and only come to that conclusion later.
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:45 AM   #38
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

Centre mass.

With an RPG.
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:59 AM   #39
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Medium to long range I would go for a .300 WIN MAG.
I would go with the .300 Win Mag for the 400 yard elk shot too.

My wife and I got into a quiet animated fight over this and this was the position she took. I maintain that photos alone would not absolutely prove the existence of the animal. A corpse would.

If this situation was presented to me I would not take the shot because the chances that it's, as you describe, just some bozo in a halloween costume are overwhelming compared to the odds that it's a as of yet undiscovered animal. If I could somehow positively rule out a hoax I think I would put one right in the aorta.
A guy in a suit way out there and he's eating leaves from a tree? Highly unlikely.

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I agree. I would shoot the Bigfoot, chamber another round and then try to take the bull elk. As rofl said, getting a Bigfoot body back will prove their existence and likely earn them endangered species status. The scientific data gained is worth it.
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:13 AM   #40
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
If you find a rel bigfoot, and are sure it is a bigfoot,100% , and not a human in costume or even a human with too many hair, then shoot it. I wanna taste mythical meat.
Be sure to save a few shots to double-tap the pig under each arm too...
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal