ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags afterlife

Old 29th February 2012, 07:30 AM   #361
ufology
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Porterboy View Post
Those are fascinating ideas. A lot of Oriental and indigenous spiritual practices, like meditation or taking certain drugs, are about shutting down or altering the normal mental processes of our mind in order to experience some kind of "higher consciousness" or "overmind" (I can't be sure here what terminology to use and I'm too keen on those words But in the absence of better alternatives they'll have to suffice.) I've personally never experienced this kind of thing, but people talk about the "veil being parted" and the "true self being audible once the noise of life is quietened." It must be an amazing feeling!

Thanks for adding a new slant to the conversation in your last few posts! The cryogenics resurrection ( suspended animation ) scenario would quite literally be an afterlife if it worked.

Last edited by ufology; 29th February 2012 at 08:10 AM.
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:31 AM   #362
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by ufology View Post
Thanks for adding a new slant to the conversation in your last few posts! The cryogenics resurrection ( suspended animation ) scenario would quite literally be an afterlife if it worked.
No, it wouldn't. By definition, it would still just be life.

Far an taine n abhainn, s ann as m a fuaim.

All your base are belong to us.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:38 AM   #363
ufology
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post

I was under the impression that with those cryo pods the person is dead, but preserved, and that the assumption is that science will be able to revive them at a later date when they can be fully repaired. So are you saying that they aren't dead? If not, then why would ressurecting them at a later date not qualify as an afterlife? I mean they would literally be here after death, but alive so this would be their hereafter.

Last edited by ufology; 29th February 2012 at 08:43 AM.
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:39 AM   #364
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

One Rredefinition coming up.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:40 AM   #365
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

The whole idea of life --> death --> afterlife is completely escaping you, isn't it?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:43 AM   #366
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
The whole idea of life --> death --> afterlife is completely escaping you, isn't it?
Oh, I don't know. With all these Rredefinitions, Ufology obviously believes he's the reincarnation of Samuel Johnson.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:43 AM   #367
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I was under the impression that with those cryo pods the person is dead, but preserved, and that the assumption is that science will be able to revive them at a later date when they can be fully repaired. So are you saying that they aren't dead? If not, then why would ressurecting them at a later date not qualify as an afterlife?

Because it would simply be a continuation of life after something of a hiatus.

Your own use of the term suspended animation should have been a big tip off.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:46 AM   #368
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Oh, I don't know. With all these Rredefinitions, Ufology obviously believes he's the reincarnation of Samuel Johnson.

C: Big blue wobbly thing that mermaids live in.

Old 29th February 2012, 08:47 AM   #369
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Because it would simply be a continuation of life after something of a hiatus.

Your own use of the term suspended animation should have been a big tip off.
Just in case.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:48 AM   #370
EHocking
Philosopher

I offer you my most enthusiastic contrafribularities.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 08:48 AM   #371
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

D. 48 inch talking wabbit.
Old 29th February 2012, 08:51 AM   #372
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Just in case.

Thank You.

Old 29th February 2012, 08:51 AM   #373
EHocking
Philosopher

D. 48 inch talking wabbit.
Yes. Tiny misunderstanding. Still, my hopes weren't high.

Oh, and "D?"
I'm quite pleased with "dog."
Yes, and your definition of "dog" is?
Not a cat."
Old 29th February 2012, 08:53 AM   #374
ufology
Master Poster

Just in case.

I would agree ( with a certain person on my ignore list ) if the suspended animation were such that the client didn't actually die ... perhaps just slowed down a lot. But what about in the case of what would be considered clinical death?

Last edited by ufology; 29th February 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:13 AM   #375
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I would agree ( with a certain person on my ignore list ) if the suspended animation were such that the client didn't actually die ... perhaps just slowed down a lot. But what about in the case of what would be considered clinical death?

In either of the scenarios you're describing, what happens after the suspension is just a continuation of the same life that was going on before the suspension.

You really need to stop this nonsense of affecting a different understanding of what is actually meant by 'afterlife' to everyone else.

And all the other words as well, while you're at it.

Old 29th February 2012, 09:39 AM   #376
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

I was under the impression that with those cryo pods the person is dead, but preserved, and that the assumption is that science will be able to revive them at a later date when they can be fully repaired. So are you saying that they aren't dead? If not, then why would ressurecting them at a later date not qualify as an afterlife? I mean they would literally be here after death, but alive so this would be their hereafter.
In either of the scenarios you're describing, what happens after the suspension is just a continuation of the same life that was going on before the suspension.

You really need to stop this nonsense of affecting a different understanding of what is actually meant by 'afterlife' to everyone else.

And all the other words as well, while you're at it.
This.

RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 09:45 AM   #377
ufology
Master Poster

This.

That doesn't address this: "I would agree ( with a certain person on my ignore list ) if the suspended animation were such that the client didn't actually die ... perhaps just slowed down a lot. But what about in the case of what would be considered clinical death?"

BTW: please stop relaying answers from other people. You were doing just fine on your own. I'm interested in what you think, not them.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:53 AM   #378
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

That doesn't address this: "I would agree ( with a certain person on my ignore list ) if the suspended animation were such that the client didn't actually die ... perhaps just slowed down a lot. But what about in the case of what would be considered clinical death?"
I wasn't responding to that. You asked me a question, someone else answered it nicely, and there wasn't anything more to add.

Quote:
BTW: please stop relaying answers from other people. You were doing just fine on your own. I'm interested in what you think, not them.
Sure thing, I'll do anything you say as soon as you apologize for insulting me, admit where you've been wrong, and actually start having a discussion, rather than arguing your own point of view for arguments sake.

Deal?

Old 29th February 2012, 09:57 AM   #379
Marduk
Banned

Quote:
The afterlife (also referred to as life after death, the Hereafter, the Next World, or the Other Side) is the belief that a part of, or essence of, or soul of an individual, which carries with it and confers personal identity, survives the death of the body of this world and this lifetime, by natural or supernatural means, in contrast to the belief in eternal oblivion after death.
do you get it yet Ufol, if the body doesn't die permanently, then its not the afterlife, its just this one
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 10:01 AM   #380
EHocking
Philosopher

Then you're dead.

No large mammal brought back out of cryonic freezing has survived.

Cryonics is still the realm of science fiction.
The hypothesis that memories will be preserved in the frozen brain cells is still unproven.

Last edited by EHocking; 29th February 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:02 AM   #381
ufology
Master Poster

I wasn't responding to that. You asked me a question, someone else answered it nicely, and there wasn't anything more to add.

Sure thing, I'll do anything you say as soon as you apologize for insulting me, admit where you've been wrong, and actually start having a discussion, rather than arguing your own point of view for arguments sake.

Deal?

The comments that offended you were aimed at another poster altogether. I already mentioned that. So far as I'm concerned we're still having a civil discussion.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:13 AM   #382
Stray Cat
Philosopher

The comments that offended you were aimed at another poster altogether. I already mentioned that. So far as I'm concerned we're still having a civil discussion.
And how has 'So far as you're concerned' worked out for you so far?
Old 29th February 2012, 10:16 AM   #383
ufology
Master Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Then you're dead.

No large mammal brought back out of cryonic freezing has survived.

The hypothesis that memories will be preserved in the frozen brain cells is still unproven.

Agreed ... but the context is obviously hypothetical. What about in that context?

NOTE: Then there are stories like this of people who have been revived after being presumed dead. What about them?
Old 29th February 2012, 10:17 AM   #384
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Allow me to jog your memory.

So again:
1 - Apologize for insulting me
2 - Admit where you've been wrong
3 - Actually start having a discussion, rather than arguing your own point of view for arguments sake
Then we might start having a “civil discussion”.

Agreed ... but the context is obviously hypothetical. What about in that context?

NOTE: Then there are stories like this of people who have been revived after being presumed dead. What about them?
Still not an afterlife. Your use of this term, along with your use of a number of other terms, has constantly been an example of moving the goal posts in order to suit your arguments. That's not discussion, that's argumentation for its own sake. Afterlife is what we're talking about. Not continuing this life.

Last edited by RobRoy; 29th February 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:24 AM   #385
EHocking
Philosopher

I answered that in the post you actually replied to ?!
Quote:
Old 29th February 2012, 10:26 AM   #386
ufology
Master Poster

Still not an afterlife. Your use of this term, along with your use of a number of other terms, has constantly been an example of moving the goal posts in order to suit your arguments. That's not discussion, that's argumentation for its own sake. Afterlife is what we're talking about. Not continuing this life.

So if being dead, and then being alive again doesn't literally constitute life after death, then what context would you say is required for it to be considered to be "literally" that way ( which was the context I used at the time ), and because I've not changed that context, I've not changed the goalposts at all with respect to my original comment. But perhaps you would like to expand on the concept a bit ... Go ahead outline what else you think would be required to qualify for an afterlife ... in a literal sense or otherwise.

Last edited by ufology; 29th February 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:27 AM   #387
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
And how has 'So far as you're concerned' worked out for you so far?

Old 29th February 2012, 10:29 AM   #388
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

So if being dead, and then being alive again doesn't literally constitute life after death, then what context would you say is required for it to be considered to be "literally" that way ( which was the context I used at the time ), and because I've not changed that context, I've not changed the goalposts at all with respect to my original comment. But perhaps you would like to expand on the concept a bit ... Go ahead outline what else you think would be required to qualify for an afterlife ... in a literal sense or otherwise.

So again:
3 - Actually start having a discussion, rather than arguing your own point of view for arguments sake
Then we might start having a “civil discussion”.*

*Clearly, you missed that last part, so I've reposted.

Last edited by RobRoy; 29th February 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:30 AM   #389
Stray Cat
Philosopher

So if being dead, and then being alive again doesn't constitute life after death, then what context would you say is required for it to be considered to be "literally" that way ( which was the context I used at the time ), and because I've not changed that context, I've not changed the goalposts at all with respect to my original comment. But perhaps you would like to expand on the concept a bit ... Go ahead outline what else you think would be required to qualify for an afterlife ... in a literal sense or otherwise.
I'm not sure that "Afterlife" (as in the thread title) is exactly the same as life after death, though the two are quite interchangeable. The concept of "Afterlife" is that everyone thinks you're dead (all your life has gone), but actually you're off somewhere having an afterlife.

Last edited by Stray Cat; 29th February 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Stray Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 10:33 AM   #390
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

I'm not sure that "Afterlife" (as in the thread title) is the same as life after death. The concept of "Afterlife" is that everyone thinks you're dead (all your life has gone), but actually you're off somewhere having an afterlife.
It's practically (except for ufology) a universally accepted concept, although the particulars are what get tricky.

Old 29th February 2012, 10:42 AM   #391
ufology
Master Poster

It's practically (except for ufology) a universally accepted concept, although the particulars are what get tricky.

Fair comment. So for an afterlife to qualify as genuine we need at least two conditions then:

1. To have been presumed dead ( clinically ) in this reality ( universe ).
2. To have been moved to some other location, presumably in some other reality analagous to Valhalla where we continue living.

Do these conditions seem to agree with you?

Last edited by ufology; 29th February 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:44 AM   #392
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Yes, I realised I wasn't being precise enough and edited my post.
The distinction between "the Afterlife" and "life after death" is the perspective you look at it from.
Afterlife being from the perspective of those still alive.
Life after death being from the perspective of the one who's actually having a life after death.

But the main thrust is that the people left alive perceive the person to be dead even if they believe that person has gone somewhere else and there is a dead body for proof of death.

It certainly doesn't cover what ufology is trying to pass off as afterlife.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:44 AM   #393
Marduk
Banned

Fair comment. So for an afterlife to qualify as genuine we need at least two conditions then:

1. To be dead in this reality
2. To have been moved to some other location, presumably in some other reality analagous to Valhalla.

ftfy
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 10:45 AM   #394
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

1. To have been presumed dead ( clinically ) in this reality ( universe ).
2. To have been moved to some other location, presumably in some other reality analagous to Valhalla.

So again:
Then we might start having a “civil discussion”.*

*Clearly, you missed that last part, twice now, so I've reposted again.

Old 29th February 2012, 10:47 AM   #395
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

It certainly doesn't cover what ufology is trying to pass off as afterlife.
Sorry, I was actually agreeing with you. The term ufology is trying to pass off isn't the generally accepted term for "afterlife" which was, and remains, the thrust of the thread. We're on the same page. I was actually just lending additional support to your post.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 29th February 2012, 10:54 AM   #396
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Sorry, I was actually agreeing with you. The term ufology is trying to pass off isn't the generally accepted term for "afterlife" which was, and remains, the thrust of the thread. We're on the same page. I was actually just lending additional support to your post.

Sorry for the confusion.
Everything in the world is good.
I too apologise for any confusion. I knew you weren't disagreeing. I was just clarifying my self further. I thought my post preceding that one was a little clumsy.

The addition of my comment about ufology was just because I knew he wouldn't see it*.

* Unless someone quoted it.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:05 AM   #397
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Everything in the world is good.
I too apologise for any confusion. I knew you weren't disagreeing. I was just clarifying my self further. I thought my post preceding that one was a little clumsy.

The addition of my comment about ufology was just because I knew he wouldn't see it*.

* Unless someone quoted it.
I quoted it, so likely it was seen.

Old 29th February 2012, 11:06 AM   #398
ufology
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
ftfy

You haven't really "fixed" anything, just restated the position with a slightly different perspective. For the sake of discussion it amounts to about the same thing either way. So fine, let's say we have met those two conditions, are we in agreement that such would constitute a genuine afterlife ... or is there something else we are missing? For example is a mythological, supernatural or religious component a strict requirement? Or would some other reality that facilitates atheism like this one still be sufficient?
Old 29th February 2012, 11:14 AM   #399
Paul2
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Porterboy View Post
One thing that he makes very clear though is that if any part of our consciousness survives the death of our physical body then it would be mentally very different to what we are today, as I said to UFOlogy above.
I missed that part: can you transcribe his words, or give the time-stamp where he says that?
Old 29th February 2012, 11:21 AM   #400
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
I missed that part: can you transcribe his words, or give the time-stamp where he says that?

I just watched it again. Harris didn't say that. How would he know, anyway?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal