ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags homeopathy , Veins , Vericose

Old 12th March 2012, 01:50 AM   #1
bayani
New Blood

Complementary Treatment of Varicose Veins: A Randomised, Placebo-controlled, Double-b

I am after a copy or a link to this study:

Phlebology (The Royal Society of Medicine Press, UK)
“Complementary Treatment of Varicose Veins: A Randomised, Placebo-controlled, Double-blind Trial”

E. Ernst, T. Saradeth, K.L. Resch, 1990, 157-163.

I asked Prof. Edzard Ernst about it and he confirmed that it provided a positive result, though only so much can be communicated with ease via Twitter.

Can't seem to find an online version; perhaps someone will have some better resources than I?
bayani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Acleron
Master Poster

Quote:
May 1990
E. Ernst, T. Saradeth, and K.L. Resch
Phlebology, 1990, 5:157-163.

This study of 61 patients showed a 44% improvement in venous filling time in the homeopathic treated group when compared with placebo.
Best I can find, but without the full paper, impossible to see what they did to get that result.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Vic Vega
Graduate Poster

I'll bet $20 that the study was flawed and the results are not repeatable...

--Shakespeare - Macbeth
Vic Vega is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Um, was the placebo also a fluid? Because if it wasn't then the entire study is bogus. You can get those sorts of numbers just by changing fluid intake.

I will be interested to see any more information about the testing procedures.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2012, 03:14 AM   #5
bayani
New Blood

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
Best I can find, but without the full paper, impossible to see what they did to get that result.
That's as far as I can get; i am weary of the claimed results because they ONLY appear on pro-homeopathy website. I want to see the conclusions from the authors - more importantly, the entire study.
bayani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2012, 03:15 AM   #6
bayani
New Blood

Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
I'll bet $20 that the study was flawed and the results are not repeatable...
Results may very well have been a statistical anomaly; though I agree - unlikely to be replicated.

Given the positive results and reportedly good methodology, one wonders why this study does not get more homeopaths attempting to replicate it.
Old 14th March 2012, 03:17 AM   #7
bayani
New Blood

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
Um, was the placebo also a fluid? Because if it wasn't then the entire study is bogus. You can get those sorts of numbers just by changing fluid intake.

I will be interested to see any more information about the testing procedures.
Without seeing the study, I expect it to be a fairly good study - being from Edzard Ernst.
Old 14th March 2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by bayani View Post
Without seeing the study, I expect it to be a fairly good study - being from Edzard Ernst.
Results may very well have been a statistical anomaly; though I agree - unlikely to be replicated.

Given the positive results and reportedly good methodology, one wonders why this study does not get more homeopaths attempting to replicate it.

The homoeopaths are still desperately trying to discredit him. They can't possibly cite it.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Only 65 subjects, and over 20 years old - has nobody tried a replication with a bigger sample size over the last couple of decades?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
jli
Critical Thinker

I think there is a bit of a mix up. The only article I can find from Ernst and co. on varicose veins is this one: A single blind randomized, controlled trial of hydrotherapy for varicose veins.
It is not a study on homeopathy, and it was not placebo controlled. I don't think it is available online, so we will have to settle with the summary.

I can't track down the paper that Acleron found (a mentioning of), but the number of patients enrolled was the same, suggesting that we really are talking about the same study.
jli is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2012, 11:55 AM   #11
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jli View Post
I think there is a bit of a mix up. The only article I can find from Ernst and co. on varicose veins is this one: A single blind randomized, controlled trial of hydrotherapy for varicose veins.
It is not a study on homeopathy, and it was not placebo controlled. I don't think it is available online, so we will have to settle with the summary.
I smell a rat. 'Scientific Research in Homeopathy', a Knol by Nancy Malik, gives this:
Quote:
8. Phlebology (The Royal Society of Medicine Press, UK)
"Complementary Treatment of Varicose Veins: A Randomised, Placebo-controlled, Double-blind Trial" E. Ernst, T. Saradeth, K.L. Resch, 1990, 157-163.
Over a period of 24 days, the effects of a homeopathic complex preparation and placebo on varicose veins were tested in a double-blind trial of 61 people suffering from this condition. The homeopathic complex produced an averaged 44% improvement in the condition while those given the placebo experienced an averaged worsening of the disorder.
Same authors, same number of patients, same trial length... This entry by Malik is referenced by many homeopathic blogs, forums, and sites.

ETA: I couldn't find any articles of that name or with those authors in a search of the 'Phlebology' journal on the The Royal Society of Medicine Press site.

Last edited by dlorde; 15th March 2012 at 12:11 PM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
ETA: I couldn't find any articles of that name or with those authors in a search of the 'Phlebology' journal

If you try to browse their online archive, it only seems to go back as far as 2003 (when they seem to have changed publisher - the first article there is called "Change of publisher and Editor - a new era"), so most likely it's just too old.

Last edited by Mojo; 16th March 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 16th March 2012, 02:42 AM   #13
jli
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
If you try to browse their online archive, it only seems to go back as far as 2003 (when they seem to have changed publisher - the first article there is called "Change of publisher and Editor - a new era"), so most likely it's just too old.
Articles in Phlebology were not Pubmed indexed until 2007, which makes it even harder to check out. I can't access EMBASE from home, so I will have to wait until Monday unless anybody else have access.

I still think the similarities between the summaries of the "two" papers look suspicious. None of this changes the fact that one positive study does not constitute proof. I would think that it would be worthwhile for homeopathic practitioners to replicate a positive study. Publication bias can definitely not be ruled out.
jli is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2012, 03:31 AM   #14
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I would think that it would be worthwhile for homeopathic practitioners to replicate a positive study.

Not really.

Old 16th March 2012, 04:26 AM   #15
jli
Critical Thinker

Come on Mojo. Do you really think that they don't understand that a single positive study does not constitute proof?
Old 16th March 2012, 05:11 AM   #16
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I suspect they are also aware that larger trials are less likely to produce positive results.

Old 16th March 2012, 12:04 PM   #17
bayani
New Blood

I can't track down the paper that Acleron found (a mentioning of), but the number of patients enrolled was the same, suggesting that we really are talking about the same study.
When I asked Ernst about the study, I cited the name of the study - I date say I I had got it wrong, he would have corrected me on it.

As has been noted, the publisher changed and it seems no one has access to this document without the actual journal itself.

Makes one wonder what passes for an assessment when so many homeopaths have cited as evidence, when it is a study they have not read - or have access to.

I will ask Malik to provide a copy.
Old 17th March 2012, 05:40 AM   #18
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Makes one wonder what passes for an assessment when so many homeopaths have cited as evidence, when it is a study they have not read - or have access to.

I will ask Malik to provide a copy.

I wouldn't hold your breath; she seems quite able to post studies that she evidently hasn't read (most notoriously the Nuremberg salt trial).

Last edited by Mojo; 17th March 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 17th March 2012, 06:10 AM   #19
Acleron
Master Poster

The homoeopaths are still desperately trying to discredit him. They can't possibly cite it.
The logical approach would be to ignore the paper, but we are talking about homeopaths here
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 01:47 AM   #20
jli
Critical Thinker

When I asked Ernst about the study, I cited the name of the study
But the title doesn't even mention homeopathy. It could be an article on the effects of chestnut seed extracts, which indeed have shown positive effects in a couple of studies.

Another oddity is the omissions from the abstract. If you look at the abstract from the hydrotherapy study it says
Quote:
In conclusion this controlled study implies that hydrotherapy may help patients suffering from primary varicose veins.......
This tells us how much weight the authors feel that the positive result of the study has. Assuming that the paper exists, Malik has not shown us what the authors conclude.
Old 18th March 2012, 06:52 AM   #21
jli
Critical Thinker

I have been asking around, and someone got in touch with Ernst. This is what he wrote:
Quote:
The homeopathic study did take place. We tested a remedy that contained several plant substances in undiluted form. So,it was only nominally a homeopathic preparation.
So it was not a positive homeopathy study after all.

Last edited by jli; 18th March 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 18th March 2012, 07:10 AM   #22
Scott Sommers
Illuminator

I can't even get a hit on it off Google Scholar. The only source of it at all is this post about, Scientific Evidence for Homeopathic Medicine.

If it worked and could be replicated, there would be more work that followed it up...unless of course the super secret super duper Global government and their reptilian overlords at the Federal Reserve Board...or at least something like that...

...I forgot, there has to be Da' Jooz' is 'dere somewhere.
I've seen it here and in several other places that there is no Illuminati. That doesn't even make sense. There's a Wikipedia entry that talks about it. I'm not saying that everything on Wikipedia is true, but if you read it, it's just really clear how the Illuminati controls the world.

Last edited by Scott Sommers; 18th March 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Scott Sommers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 09:49 AM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

The logical approach would be to ignore the paper, but we are talking about homeopaths here
OK. So we'll ignore it just a teeny, weeny, its-see-bits-see, infinitesimally small bit? I'll have mine with scotch, not water, please.
Old 18th March 2012, 10:24 AM   #24
drewid
Graduate Poster

Surely scientific papers on homeopathy should be more effective with fewer words, with the most effective being a stack of blank paper without a molecule of ink between them.
drewid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 11:06 AM   #25
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I have been asking around, and someone got in touch with Ernst. This is what he wrote:

Quote:
The homeopathic study did take place. We tested a remedy that contained several plant substances in undiluted form. So,it was only nominally a homeopathic preparation.
So it was not a positive homeopathy study after all.

A bit like this one, perhaps.

Old 18th March 2012, 02:40 PM   #26
jli
Critical Thinker

Don't know. The only thing that smells like homeopathy is the company name (as far as I can see). But I have seen homeopathy studies cleverly "camouflaged" as studies on effect of real substances.
Old 18th March 2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Yuri Nalyssus
Graduate Poster

Not to mention this one.

Gits!

Ernst isn't a great fan of homeopathic cancer "treatments":

... there is no reason to believe that homeopathic medicines have anything to offer to patients suffering from cancer or other conditions apart from non-specific effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1948867/

Yuri

Last edited by Yuri Nalyssus; 18th March 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Yuri Nalyssus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 04:36 PM   #28
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Don't know. The only thing that smells like homeopathy is the company name (as far as I can see).

http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.co.uk/2...s-oh-wait.html

Old 19th March 2012, 04:24 AM   #29
jli
Critical Thinker

Thank you Mojo. From the update: http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/200...-analysis.html it becomes clear that the aricle is similar. A positive homeopathy study that turns out to be a positive herbalism study. Wonder what characterisation Boiron would have given the remedy if the study had produced a negative result
Old 19th March 2012, 07:59 AM   #30
Acleron
Master Poster

Thank you Mojo. From the update: http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/200...-analysis.html it becomes clear that the aricle is similar. A positive homeopathy study that turns out to be a positive herbalism study. Wonder what characterisation Boiron would have given the remedy if the study had produced a negative result
You don't need to categorise anything if you don't publish ...
Old 19th March 2012, 08:24 AM   #31
jli
Critical Thinker

You don't need to categorise anything if you don't publish ...
True - but if somebody else publishes for you, you might as well use it to your advantage.

Boiron market themselves as manufacturers of homeopathic remedies. Categorising it as a homeopathic remedy if it works under clinical testing conditions and as a non-homeopathic remedy if it fails under clinical testing conditions make sense from a conspiratory theoretical point of view

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology