ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot merchandising , Bryan Sykes , jeffrey meldrum , Melba Ketchum

Old 25th June 2012, 09:52 PM   #201
Volsquatch
Scholar

Many posters on the BFF(or elsewhere, for that matter) have learned how to strategically use the Mods and Admins to their advantage. While serving as Moderator on the BFF v.1, I eventually realized that I myself had been used in this manner on several occasions.

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
I had never been warned about trolling. Boom, I got a two week suspension. Same topic: the Ketchum Renig. I mean Report.

Someone (a bleever) had posted, in obvious reference to my posts, but not naming me
, that they were glad not to be hearing any more false statements about Ketchum's data. So I put a twist on it, adding a parody of the bleever's frequent complaints that skeptics can't bad mouth members; my post something like:

At the same time, I posted a reply to a thread about some internet yahoo who wrote a piece about how bigfoots had a very closeknit family/social structure. So I wrote something like:

Personally I thought both were amusing, though I often think my posts are cleverer than they are. LOL. I certainly didn't see how anyone could take either one seriously.
I've had many years of witnessing and dealing the exact sort of thing that happened to Parn in the above bolded text. What I've learned is that this is a common(yet very effective) net throwing tactic to incite a negative reaction from the intended target without having to ball-up and call them out directly. If you find yourself being targeted in such a way, it's very important to always resist the temptation to take the bait. If you do decide to give in and confront the poster directly on the open forum, they will usually report your post and cry foul, feigning great injury while claiming they weren't referring to you at all, which usually results in a rise in your warn level and/or a mandatory vacation. Either way, they win if you give in.

Actually, I think we have a good example of the bait right here in this thread:

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
It would make an interesting thread for sure, you might get more than a few more anonymous stragglers with low posts counts dropping in to comment.

Last edited by Volsquatch; 25th June 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Volsquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2012, 02:48 AM   #202
Jodie
Master Poster

Either way, they win if you give in.

Gotcha Vol, but I was responding to Tom and it was also based on a prior conversation that we had, however I can see how that might come off,let me get the mods to edit it.

Last edited by Jodie; 26th June 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2012, 04:53 AM   #203
Jodie
Master Poster

Parn, the BFF management does not have an issue with skeptics, at least not that I ever picked up on. The issue is primarily with the different proponent views, mainly paranormal.

I always thought they welcomed the skeptics pretty well because by "serious", I take that to mean a more realistic and scientific approach. You can't have that without someone who doesn't question the proponent stand of a "flesh and blood" creature to eliminate bias. Any debate has to be meaningful on that end to be appreciated from their perspective.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2012, 07:44 AM   #204
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Oh, of course they can do/censor/suppress whatever they wish. What is remarkable to me is the change that has occurred recently, apparently dating to either
1) HRPuff's apparently "conversion" to bleever based on some alleged film that someone showed him. Of course, he won't show it, but upbraids others eg Sasfooty for making unsupported claims. Go figure.
or
2) defensiveness re the Ketchum Report Renege*, as I have been the most prominent Doubting Thomas on that fiasco.

From my standpoint, these were humorous posts; but from the bleever perspective, perhaps they thought I was laughing at them. Big difference. Laughing at, vs laughing with.

*renege: verb, intransitive. To go back on a promise, contract or agreement. Also, in card games: to play a card in violation of the rules.
Excellent points, but I think it's both instead of either.

When Puff took over it went to his head and he became a monster. I've noticed that he rather skillfully uses his title to beat up skeptics in the threads, knowing they can't respond in kind.

Add the Ketchum circus to Puff's ego and the whole place has become much more dictatorial and loony.
Old 26th June 2012, 05:05 PM   #205
Jodie
Master Poster

Or as we say in the south, "Maybe Puff is just having a good old fashioned come apart" for whatever reason.
Old 27th June 2012, 07:05 PM   #206
AttorneyTom
Muse

Thanks Bob !.. In other news of Bigsploitation.

Ilovepuffalumps has the following evidence of Bigfoot to be purchased on ebay.

A Bigfoot in Michigan "hair sample from Harretia, Michigan with the I Believe in Bigfoot Logo" ( without skin flake) is currently being bid on for the bargain price of $1.99. Of course, the sample with the flake is still at a "buy it now" price of $50.00.

Meanwhile... Ben1269 has the "genuine Bf/Sasquatch Hair !" from when his "good friend Harry ( I did not make this up) and (him) were checking his traplines" in Western Washington State. There is still time to get in on this as there are only 4 bids and the price is currently just $2.50 and the shipping is free ! As this item is #17 of only 100 samples it is "collectible and unique !"

Well that is it for this evening.. over to you Roger . What should our viewers expect with the weather for tomorrow ?...
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2012, 08:56 AM   #207
DennyT
Master Poster

Supreme Court strikes down the Stolen Valor Act. I guess this means the Fabricating Bigfoot Reports Act is a non-starter:
Quote:
The Stolen Valor Act of 2005, signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006,[1] was a U.S. law that broadens the provisions of previous U.S. law addressing the unauthorized wear, manufacture, or sale of any military decorations and medals. It makes it a federal misdemeanor to falsely represent oneself as having received any U.S. military decoration or medal. If convicted, defendants may be imprisoned for up to six months, unless the decoration lied about is the Medal of Honor, in which case imprisonment could be up to one year.

The Act was first introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives on July 19, 2005, by Representative John Salazar, a Democrat from Colorado, as H.R. 3352.[2][3] It was introduced into the Senate by Senator Kent Conrad, a Democrat from North Dakota, on November 10, 2005, as S. 1998.[4][5] The Senate version was passed unanimously on September 7, 2006.[5][6] The Senate version then went to the same House Judiciary Committee that held the House version. The Act briefly stalled, but the House subsequently passed the Senate version, S. 1998, on December 6, 2006.[7]

The purpose of the Act is to strengthen the provisions of federal law (18 U.S.C. 704[8]) by broadening its scope and strengthening penalties. Specific new provisions in the Act include: granting more authority to Federal law enforcement officers; broadening the law to cover false claims whereas previously an overt act had to be committed; covering mailing and shipping of medals; and protecting the reputation and meaning of military heroism medals.[3][5] Under the act, it is illegal for unauthorized persons to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade, or manufacture “any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces.” In the 18 months after the act was enacted, the Chicago Tribune estimates 20 prosecutions. The number is increasing as awareness about the law spreads.[9]

The Act was likely passed to address the issue of persons claiming to have been awarded military awards for which they were not entitled, and exploiting their deception for personal gain. For example, as of June 2, 2006, there were only 120 living Medal of Honor recipients, but there were far more known imposters.[10][11][12] There are also large numbers of people fraudulently claiming to be Navy SEALS[13][14] and Army Special Forces,[15] among others.

Last edited by DennyT; 28th June 2012 at 09:07 AM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2012, 09:00 AM   #208
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
Thanks Bob !.. In other news of Bigsploitation.

Ilovepuffalumps has the following evidence of Bigfoot to be purchased on ebay.

A Bigfoot in Michigan "hair sample from Harretia, Michigan with the I Believe in Bigfoot Logo" ( without skin flake) is currently being bid on for the bargain price of $1.99. Of course, the sample with the flake is still at a "buy it now" price of $50.00.
That's Harrietta, thank you very much. Where's Drew? They have a fish hatchery, where bigfoot undoubtedly drops in for Sunday brunch.

Last edited by DennyT; 28th June 2012 at 09:08 AM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2012, 09:33 AM   #209
Drewbot
Illuminator

It is halfway between Tippy Dam, and Cadillac.
If that Bigfoot ever goes swimming in the nearby Big Manistee River, it is sure to have several large treble hooks embedded in it's side from all of the salmon and steelhead snaggers that inundate that area.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2012, 03:47 PM   #210
AttorneyTom
Muse

Well.. I will be on the lookout for " The Genuine BF Hair covered Treble Hook" with or without skin flakes attached. What is next.. dry flies tied with "genuine bf hair" ?
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2012, 10:44 PM   #211
AttorneyTom
Muse

We were calmly watching the SyFy Channel this evening.. something about giant sharks killing everything they could possibly get their fins on.. anyway..

Suddenly.. they announced a "New Show" called "Destination Truth" which airs on Tuesday July 10th (oh.. 8/7C pm). My Bigsploitation radar went on alert when they started on the 10ft tall Malaysia Bigfoot "phenomenon".

It looks like a serious show as the commercial for it had green lights and fuzziness.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:41 AM   #212
Jodie
Master Poster

LOLOL....not hardly. I'm a big Josh Gates fan just because he's my idea of the perfect man (tall, cute, smart, and funny) and the show usually focuses more on the snafu's of getting to the area than it actually does about the cryptid. Once there, lots of screaming and confusion ensues as they run around in the wilderness with their night vision cameras, all in all, they look like they are having a blast. Serious research, not so much though.

Speaking of crazy shows, did anyone see Cajun Justice last night? Let me just paint the picture for you. The dispatcher receives a call that a rougarou has been reported. The sheriff and deputy go out to see what the problem is and are met by this guy with one tooth in his head sitting on the front porch with a shot gun. Evidently a rougarou is the cajun version of bigfoot. They track it back through the vegetation and the trail suddenly stops, they assume it escaped by water. Then the toothless guy shows him his video from his cell phone of this black/brownish furry blobsquatch retreating. Much
" What the hell is that? " in subtitles by the sheriff and deputy takes place because you can't understand the accent. It was highly entertaining and unexpected. Most of the time it's about nuisance gators.
Old 7th July 2012, 10:58 AM   #213
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Evidently a rougarou is the cajun version of bigfoot.
More like a werewolf, according to Wikipedia (RougarouWP). Which doesn't surprise me, since it sounds a lot like Loup-garou, which is French for werewolf. Of course, it has been associated with everything from BF to the WendigoWP.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2012, 11:05 AM   #214
Jodie
Master Poster

Oh OK, I stand corrected on my cryptid terminology, it was a big hairy blob of something on two legs running away, at any rate, and quite funny as long as it was happening to someone else.
Old 7th July 2012, 04:15 PM   #215
AttorneyTom
Muse

Oh OK, I stand corrected on my cryptid terminology, it was a big hairy blob of something on two legs running away, at any rate, and quite funny as long as it was happening to someone else.
What is not to like about a "big hairy blob" image ?

In other news of "BigSploitation" ..

Lot No. 18 of the Washington State Trapper found "Authentic Skookum Lake Bigfoot Hair Find" is winding down on auction at Ebay this week with 9 bidders driving the bids for this unique allegedly blood soaked icon upwards to a near record price of $7.50 ( free shipping and handling, of course). A spokesperson from Sotheby's would not respond to our inquiries.

Bob is sitting in for Patty tonight for the Weather.. as she is still recuperating from her recent foot surgery... How does it look Bob ?
Old 8th July 2012, 07:07 PM   #216
AttorneyTom
Muse

A Bigsploitation Update....

ben1269's ( and you know who you are) Skookum Lot Hair sample No. 18 sold for the bargain price of $10.50 this evening on ebay.. with free s/h to t***e.

Only 82 more .
Old 8th July 2012, 08:00 PM   #217
Jodie
Master Poster

I wonder who bought that.
Old 9th July 2012, 06:58 PM   #218
AttorneyTom
Muse

Apparently someone named t###e on ebay ? Probably some kid who is gullible and naive.

The seller interests me. I would guess that they would be the type to hang around the forums.

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 9th July 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Just a thought.
Old 9th July 2012, 07:01 PM   #219
Jodie
Master Poster

LOLOL...a lot of types hang around forums.
Old 9th July 2012, 07:08 PM   #220
AttorneyTom
Muse

LOLOL...a lot of types hang around forums.
Yes.. but only a few BIGSPLOITERS !!
Old 9th July 2012, 08:07 PM   #221
Jodie
Master Poster

I think the bigsploiters are more common than you think in one way or the other, not necessarily for monetary reasons.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:11 PM   #222
AttorneyTom
Muse

Yes.. much like bedbugs !
Old 13th July 2012, 02:54 PM   #223
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Now the government is bigsploiting.

http://www.gadling.com/2012/07/11/bu...nding-bigfoot/
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2012, 09:10 PM   #224
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by I am Bigfoot View Post
Now the government is bigsploiting.

http://www.gadling.com/2012/07/11/bu...nding-bigfoot/
That seems wrong in an ambigious sort of way ? More like "Bigsploi...".. You decide ? On the other paw.. perhaps they are now using highly developed LandSat Imagery to find ... something ? Nests, Nesting Matrials, new caves and other odd tree shapes .. distrurbed areas and also disturbed people ?

I guess I would only add that OS... when you look up in the sky tonight .. um.. it might not be a star you are seeing, eh ?
Old 15th July 2012, 07:16 PM   #225
AttorneyTom
Muse

To wrap up the weekend:

Ebay has : The "Bigfoot hair found on bush" in Delaware sample $25.00 (no bids)
The "Certified Genuine Bigfoot Hair" aka Skookum Lot #18 sample (17 bids up to $5.50 so far) Wasnt this sold last week ?
And finally... the "Tom Slick Expedition Yeti Hair Replica" is offered at $21.99
plus S/H. Acrylic framing is an extra $29.99. (no bids yet).
Old 19th July 2012, 09:20 PM   #226
AttorneyTom
Muse

I know nobody really is all that interested in this Thread but me. But I am . I think it is important.

Why ? Because there are opportunistic people making some modest and at sometime serious money off of this fiction that they claim to be real and authentic ? I find it offensive and dishonest ?
Old 19th July 2012, 09:25 PM   #227
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

I know nobody really is all that interested in this Thread but me. But I am . I think it is important.

Why ? Because there are opportunistic people making some modest and at sometime serious money off of this fiction that they claim to be real and authentic ? I find it offensive and dishonest ?
I find it interesting. I just don't have much to add. Have you found any patterns?
Like a typical price for hair or blood or whatever?
Or people who sell frequently?
Or buy frequently?
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2012, 09:28 PM   #228
Jodie
Master Poster

I really don't see a lot of profit to be made from bigfoot ( to continue the same line of thought from the other thread on DNA).

I think the e-bay hair reports are funny and I enjoy them
Old 19th July 2012, 09:39 PM   #229
Jodie
Master Poster

My other thoughts on this are that I really don't have a problem with it if you get your money's worth. I would go see a bigfoot movie for sheer entertainment.

If I didn't find the researchers offering camping trips to be obnoxious I would probably enjoy just getting out, socializing, and learning how to make casts more as an an art project than with an real serious intent to go hunt bigfoot.

I say if these people are willing to pay for it and have a good time doing it, live and let live. It pisses me off that Dr. Meldrum is selling casts of fake prints without making it known that they are fake, now that is wrong.

Last edited by Jodie; 19th July 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 19th July 2012, 09:44 PM   #230
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by I am Bigfoot View Post
I find it interesting. I just don't have much to add. Have you found any patterns?
Like a typical price for hair or blood or whatever?
Or people who sell frequently?
Or buy frequently?
Just take some time out to watch Cable Television, check out Ebay, look at the prosploitation sites that offer weekends for a few hundred dollars or so..

The patterns are not about blood, hair.. it is all about the Benjamins.
Old 19th July 2012, 09:46 PM   #231
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

I say if these people are willing to pay for it and have a good time doing it, live and let live. It pisses me off that Dr. Meldrum is selling casts of fake prints without making it known that they are fake, now that is wrong.
Well this would apply to the hair as well, at least to an extent. I mean...not everyone selling it can truly believe it is real hair. I would think anyone that truly believed they had hair from an unknown creature would do something....bigger than put it on ebay for a couple bucks.
Old 19th July 2012, 09:51 PM   #232
Jodie
Master Poster

I think that is more of a joke gift, I don't think the people buying it really believe it is bigfoot hair. I wouldn't buy it because I would be afraid that someone just sold me their pubic hair.
Old 19th July 2012, 10:03 PM   #233
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

I think that is more of a joke gift, I don't think the people buying it really believe it is bigfoot hair. I wouldn't buy it because I would be afraid that someone just sold me their pubic hair.
I would imagine (or hope..?) that someone's pubic hair would be cleaner than the hair of figboot.
Old 20th July 2012, 03:38 AM   #234
Jodie
Master Poster

LOLOL....one would hope.
Old 20th July 2012, 04:44 AM   #235
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
More like a werewolf, according to Wikipedia (RougarouWP). Which doesn't surprise me, since it sounds a lot like Loup-garou, which is French for werewolf. Of course, it has been associated with everything from BF to the WendigoWP.
What does Rougarou Gumbo taste like?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2012, 01:30 AM   #236
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
What does Rougarou Gumbo taste like?
Too gamey. I much prefer unicorn stew.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2012, 08:58 AM   #237
LuvGodzilla
Thinker

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
Too gamey. I much prefer unicorn stew.
That's possible, check with these people: http://theunicornkeepers.com/

http://youtu.be/TBesVO_3iQk
Old 21st July 2012, 11:23 AM   #238
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

It's like my nude chat room site. It's for seniors. Most of the old ladies just watch me on video, but don't comment. I think their hands are busy.

Quote:
There are some other things happening at the same time like the BLM legitimizing it with that stupid film clip, native chambers of commerce pretending to have a bigfoot history, etc. It could come off OK if it was played as a fantasy or humorous joke. But that isn't what is happening.
AlaskaBushPilot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:40 AM   #239
GT/CS
Illuminator

Buy your very own sasqwatch.
http://www.sasqwatchwatch.com/

How pathetic.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:03 PM   #240
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

They'll sell close to a million units.

I just saw the webpage for the Olympic Project. Throughout the page of profiles, it's so backwards - your resume is 30 years of failure in the thing you are supposedly best at. His (Derek Randles) backpack 101 course is linked there. In reading it my eyes were getting wide, like I can't believe something like this exists. Eating in the wild. Okay, I'll try not to be a snob. But that was so fricking funny. To me anyway, it actually brought tears to my eyes.

At the same time it seems reasonable that maybe for people who grew up in a city and never had a chance to get out - they have a job now, a vehicle, the free time available so they're going to check out backpacking. And they fall into the hands of this guy, who is liable to tell them God knows what. See these eggs in the nest? Grizzly bear eggs.
AlaskaBushPilot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal