ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags food regulations , usda

Reply
Old 24th March 2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Draca
Graduate Poster
 
Draca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,181
Pink Slime

I've been following the Pink Slime story with disgust. Obviously we can not count on the government to provide protection or honesty on what is being sold as food. Absolutely outraged that major stores have gotten away with selling this. Our food supply is poisoned.

What I'm most outraged at is that it isn't even labeled to give people a choice, and there are no plans to require it to be labeled in the future. The USDA has utterly betrayed the American people in favor of big business.

Quote from ABC News "A USDA source told ABC news it’s up to the grocery stores to disclose what’s in their ground beef and the Agriculture Department has no jurisdiction."


http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...grocery-store/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ime-free-beef/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...nk-slime-beef/
__________________
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
― Malcolm X - http://www.injustice-anywhere.org - http://www.injusticeanywhereforum.org

Last edited by Draca; 24th March 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Draca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Joey McGee
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,719
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Chemophobia?

Here's a comment from your second link

Quote:
I am an Agricultural Engineer, this is my field. Meat is a fundamentally expensive product to produce, so processors look for any cost savings they can find. These filler materials are quite a normal thing in industry. You cannot get sick from this, chances are you have eaten this before and you are only grossed out because you know what is in it. I guarantee everybody that if you really knew what was in your products, and how they were manufactured (from make-up, food, soaps, and even pharmaceutics), you would never touch them again. Either get over it, kill it yourself or go without.
Can we have some evidence that our food supply is poisoned?

I'm all for transparency about products, how they are made and where they come from. That seems to be the only legitimate issue.

eta

This advertisement appeared in the WSJ yesterday. I think that what Nancy Donley has to say there is extremely important.

Last edited by Joey McGee; 24th March 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Draca
Graduate Poster
 
Draca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,181
Being fed what is meant to be dog food is being nutritionally poisoned in my opinion. Not to mention the ammonia added to kill off all of the ecoli. Beyond gross.
__________________
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
― Malcolm X - http://www.injustice-anywhere.org - http://www.injusticeanywhereforum.org
Draca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Joey McGee
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,719
What a dog is meant to be fed? So evolution shaped that meat in those places in cows for humans to feed to their dogs? No, that's a fearmongering, baseless argument.

Quote:
Myth 5:

Dangerous chemicals are added to boneless lean beef trimmings.

Fact:

This is a reference to ammonium hydroxide, essentially ammonia and water, both naturally occurring compounds that have been used to make foods safe since 1974, when the Food and Drug Administration declared it GRAS or Generally Recognized as Safe, the highest safety attribution the agency assigns to compounds. Boneless lean beef trimmings receive a puff of ammonia to eliminate bacteria safely and effectively. When combined with moisture naturally in beef, ammonium hydroxide is formed, which is a naturally occurring compound found in many foods, in our own bodies and the environment. Food safety experts and scientists agree it is an effective way to ensure safer ground beef.
http://beefisbeef.com/2012/03/15/top...of-pink-slime/

At a time when food issues are looming as a serious challenge to human health in the next few decades, this kind of campaign is what is disgusting. I'll change my mind if there is a real case presented.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Brian-M
Daydreamer
 
Brian-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,611
I've never heard of "Pink Slime" before. After looking at the first link and the Wikipedia article, I'm left with one question...

What's wrong with using beef trimmings in ground meat?

Seriously, I don't see the problem.

ETA: Or is it the ammonia gas that's disturbing people for some reason?
__________________
"That is just what you feel, that isn't reality." - hamelekim

Last edited by Brian-M; 24th March 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 04:07 AM   #6
Jekyll's Guest
Master Poster
 
Jekyll's Guest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,205
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
I've never heard of "Pink Slime" before. After looking at the first link and the Wikipedia article, I'm left with one question...

What's wrong with using beef trimmings in ground meat?

Seriously, I don't see the problem.

ETA: Or is it the ammonia gas that's disturbing people for some reason?
It's the combination of the word slime, and pictures of pink ooze. It was fine when we didn't know, but now people look at their ground beef and picture pink ooze.
Jekyll's Guest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Ryokan
Insert something funny here
 
Ryokan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,041
Originally Posted by Draca View Post
Not to mention the ammonia added to kill off all of the ecoli. Beyond gross.
Would you prefer E. Coli?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 05:36 AM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In my pants
Posts: 47,196
I for one am very happy that we have a method of recovering edible products from carcasses that would otherwise be discarded. The claim of added ammonia is, at the very least, exaggerated. There are many claims made about so-called "pink slime" that just aren't true.
__________________
Some men just want to watch the world burn - and I think we're dealing with one of them here this evening.
- Senator Christine Milne, 30 October 2014
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 05:38 AM   #9
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist
 
aggle-rithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 15,336
Originally Posted by Draca View Post
Being fed what is meant to be dog food is being nutritionally poisoned in my opinion. Not to mention the ammonia added to kill off all of the ecoli. Beyond gross.
Whatever you do, don't think about how many maggots are allowed by the FDA to be in a jar of mayonaise.
__________________
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 05:48 AM   #10
MatildaGage
Muse
 
MatildaGage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 799
It seems there is a substantial number of meat eaters who are grossed out by the entire concept of meat production.

I was one of those--I had to push the very idea (raising, slaughter, butchering, processing) out of my head. I got to the point where I wouldn't even touch it. I had to just slip it into the pan directly from the package and had to deliberately distract myself from thinking about how gross it is.

My advice is, if it bothers you that much, a very simple solution is to not eat it. There are plenty of alternatives that are healthy and much less gross--and cheaper too.

Now I don't spend so much effort trying to avoid being disgusted by what's on my plate and in my fridge. Life's too short for all that self-imposed angst.
__________________
End the grisly, barbaric practice of metzitzah b'peh.
MatildaGage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:24 AM   #11
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing
 
MG1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,944
My only beef (get it beef ha ha ha) is the economics of the situation. I am paying for X amount of ground up beef, but in fact only getting Y amount with the balance being made up of filler.

And the fact the filler is not described or apparently admitted too on the labeling - (I will check this claim on my next shopping trip) is very troubling. Having said all that I can see circumstances where I would purchase the product (knowingly) and use it as intended. A cheap way to fill peoples bellies when the budget is a bit tight
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:29 AM   #12
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami
 
defaultdotxbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,474
Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
My only beef (get it beef ha ha ha) is the economics of the situation. I am paying for X amount of ground up beef, but in fact only getting Y amount with the balance being made up of filler.

And the fact the filler is not described or apparently admitted too on the labeling - (I will check this claim on my next shopping trip) is very troubling. Having said all that I can see circumstances where I would purchase the product (knowingly) and use it as intended. A cheap way to fill peoples bellies when the budget is a bit tight
you pay for X amount of beef, and since the "filler" is made of beef you receive X amount of beef
__________________
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
defaultdotxbe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:39 AM   #13
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing
 
MG1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,944
Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
you pay for X amount of beef, and since the "filler" is made of beef you receive X amount of beef
But the articles suggest the 'filler' does not have the nutritional value of beef. It is the same when you get the different qualities of ground beef 70/30 80/20 etc. A consumer sees a price break on the lower quality beef and purchases according to their need, be it health or simple budget constraints
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:41 AM   #14
shadron
Philosopher
 
shadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,907
Originally Posted by Draca View Post
Being fed what is meant to be dog food is being nutritionally poisoned in my opinion. Not to mention the ammonia added to kill off all of the ecoli. Beyond gross.
"nutritionally poisoned" is a non-sequitur. It is either nutritional or not, but in neither case is it poisoned. Dogs need nutrition just like the rest of us animals do, and they seem to live on it well enough, so it is neither non-nutritional nor poison. Ammonia is added to many things to kill bacteria; I'm sorry if you never noticed. Do you eat hot dogs? You do know it has been used in human food since 1993? You better count on becoming a vegan, because this sort of thing is going to become more prevalent, not less, until meat becomes altogether too expensive to have at all.

Last edited by shadron; 24th March 2012 at 06:43 AM.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:43 AM   #15
Caper
Illuminator
 
Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,452
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I for one am very happy that we have a method of recovering edible products from carcasses that would otherwise be discarded. The claim of added ammonia is, at the very least, exaggerated. There are many claims made about so-called "pink slime" that just aren't true.
I agree. It's great they borrowed a page from the American Indian.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:44 AM   #16
casebro
Philosopher
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,693
I eat all the stuff anyways. Heart, tongue liver, kidney,spleen (called 'melts').

But I do stay away from the factory made 'chubs' of ground beef. Not because of the by-products, but the "deboned meat". DM is acquired by grinding up all the gristle and bone, filtering out the bone chips, and adding it to the ground meat. No flavor and no texture. Deboned Meat is the "Pink Slime". Logic is " It ain't bone, it must be meat".

I do have a dedicated electric meat grinder, and use it mostly to make my own sausage. But will occasionally run a whole brisket through it, and fill the freezer with hamburger. Mostly because I find that the best quality ground beef is too low in fat for best flavor. It's cheaper than buying hamburger, and as a side effect I can set aside some excess fat for home made pie crust.
__________________
Please pardon me for having ideas, not facts.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:47 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I for one am very happy that we have a method of recovering edible products from carcasses that would otherwise be discarded. The claim of added ammonia is, at the very least, exaggerated. There are many claims made about so-called "pink slime" that just aren't true.
And, as far as I can tell, its still yummy and safe.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:54 AM   #18
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing
 
MG1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,944
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I eat all the stuff anyways. Heart, tongue liver, kidney,spleen (called 'melts').
I have not heard of people eating spleen - whats it taste like?
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 07:01 AM   #19
Halfcentaur
Philosopher
 
Halfcentaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,621
I just saw a sign at my market saying they never used pink slime, and I wondered what the heck they were talking about. Ew.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 07:30 AM   #20
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami
 
defaultdotxbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,474
Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
But the articles suggest the 'filler' does not have the nutritional value of beef. It is the same when you get the different qualities of ground beef 70/30 80/20 etc. A consumer sees a price break on the lower quality beef and purchases according to their need, be it health or simple budget constraints
so what is the nutritional value of "beef" defined as? i thought it was a generic term referring to meat from a cow (which as i mention, the filler is)

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I eat all the stuff anyways. Heart, tongue liver, kidney,spleen (called 'melts').

But I do stay away from the factory made 'chubs' of ground beef. Not because of the by-products, but the "deboned meat". DM is acquired by grinding up all the gristle and bone, filtering out the bone chips, and adding it to the ground meat. No flavor and no texture. Deboned Meat is the "Pink Slime". Logic is " It ain't bone, it must be meat".

I do have a dedicated electric meat grinder, and use it mostly to make my own sausage. But will occasionally run a whole brisket through it, and fill the freezer with hamburger. Mostly because I find that the best quality ground beef is too low in fat for best flavor. It's cheaper than buying hamburger, and as a side effect I can set aside some excess fat for home made pie crust.
the hilighted bit is not true, in 2004 mechanically separated beef was banned for use in products intended for human consumption. the process by which "pink slime" is made stipulates that bones must emerge from the process intact

although mechanically separated pork and chicken can still be used (mostly in hot dogs)
__________________
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
defaultdotxbe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 07:31 AM   #21
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing
 
MG1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,944
Originally Posted by Halfcentaur View Post
I just saw a sign at my market saying they never used pink slime, and I wondered what the heck they were talking about. Ew.
Its like soylent green only betterer - Only FDA approved pensioners where used in the production.
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 07:59 AM   #22
Halfcentaur
Philosopher
 
Halfcentaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,621
I've always been very picky about my ground beef texture and have only bought ground meat from the same place the last 10 years, and my emotional mind is grateful they claim to have never used this vile slime. But I shudder in my emotional heart soul to think of the times I ate ground beefs from the hand of trusted others.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 08:08 AM   #23
ehcks
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,192
Food is food. If it tastes good and doesn't make me sick, I don't care.

Last time I got sick from something I ate was lobster at the navy base galley because they cooked it wrong. Ground beef is poison? Tell that to my stomach.
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
ehcks is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 08:21 AM   #24
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami
 
defaultdotxbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,474
Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
Food is food. If it tastes good and doesn't make me sick, I don't care.

Last time I got sick from something I ate was lobster at the navy base galley because they cooked it wrong. Ground beef is poison? Tell that to my stomach.
thats pretty much been my observation as well

1: apparently i've been eating this stuff my entire life
2: i am well nourished
3: i am in good health

conclusion: i kindof want a cheeseburger now
__________________
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
defaultdotxbe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 08:48 AM   #25
casebro
Philosopher
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,693
Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
I have not heard of people eating spleen - whats it taste like?
I've been buying hog melts at the Vietnamese grocers. It tastes somewhere between meat and liver. It has the color of liver, and the long skinny strips have a consistency closer to meat than liver. I could see that it would add flavor to ground products. In fact, a friend was a meat cutter and told me it is used in some of the fast food chains. I use it to make 'dirty rice' mostly as dog food, but I'll eat a bowl or two from every batch too. Not much luck finding recipes other wise, <Melt Recipe> always comes up as a cheeseburger on rye.

Aside: I once toured a plant for one of the big fast food chains. Saw what looked like whole deboned carcasses heading into a huge grinder. Bins the size of a pallet. Interesting that they had a recipe. It was about 15% fat, mostly steer meat, with set amounts of cow and bull. I've always wondered about how some places have beefier tasting patties, I figured it's because of higher bull content. I know there are two reasons to make steers out of bulls- docility, and bulls taste gamier. Now I've got a hankering to try a bull steak.

eta: Now I'm wonder if the free range cattle thing is really about eating bull meat? If we can taste the difference, maybe there is something healthier about it? Just as we taste the difference between olive and sunflower oils? Maybe the culprit ain't the beef, it's the lack of bull? I wonder how herds are managed in 'low heart attack rate' countries?
__________________
Please pardon me for having ideas, not facts.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.

Last edited by casebro; 24th March 2012 at 08:52 AM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:08 AM   #26
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 55,052
Originally Posted by MatildaGage View Post
My advice is, if it bothers you that much, a very simple solution is to not eat it. There are plenty of alternatives that are healthy and much less gross--and cheaper too.
Until you discover what they use as fertilizer on organic vegetable farms...
__________________
This link is illegal in the EU.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:09 AM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 44,969
Framing worth noting:

Anti-corporate activists name for the stuff: Pink Slime
Commercial producers name for the product: Lean Beef Trimmings

This might explain what I've been trying to figure out for years now. The hamburger I consume some years back started tasting awful, mostly because of the texture that seemed 'grisley' to me. It got to the point that the only hamburger I found not to have that texture which I found distasteful was the organic stuff at Whole Foods. It costs as much as a good steak from Safeway. Whole Foods grinds their own burger at the store.

QFC meat department claimed they also ground their own hamburger but it turns out the Kroger brand contained the 'product'. They are now reporting they will quit using it.

I was talking to the Whole Foods butcher about this just a couple days ago. I asked him if it was possible there was some new way the meat was taken off the bone or some other processing thing that would account for the grisley texture of all the commercial hamburger. The butcher didn't know of anything.

It will be interesting to see if indeed this is why hamburger texture has become an issue for me.
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:11 AM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 44,969
Originally Posted by Halfcentaur View Post
I've always been very picky about my ground beef texture and have only bought ground meat from the same place the last 10 years, and my emotional mind is grateful they claim to have never used this vile slime. But I shudder in my emotional heart soul to think of the times I ate ground beefs from the hand of trusted others.
"Texture", you too. Hmmm. But Casebro talks about "no texture" and for me it is rubbery or grisley texture that is at issue. What is the texture issue you speak of?
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th March 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:14 AM   #29
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 55,052
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
eta: Now I'm wonder if the free range cattle thing is really about eating bull meat?
I think it's mostly grass fed vs. corn fed beef.
__________________
This link is illegal in the EU.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:25 AM   #30
Cleon
King of the Pod People
Moderator
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 22,302
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
I think it's mostly grass fed vs. corn fed beef.
Animal welfare, too. Factory farm cattle are crammed in very tightly, and don't have a lot of room to move around.

There's also an environmental angle; the waste results of factory farming are, uh, not exactly pleasant.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:27 AM   #31
Cleon
King of the Pod People
Moderator
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 22,302
Regarding "pink slime;" I think there's enough legitimately wrong with factory farming practices that making **** up is unnecessary. Sure, it sounds unappetizing, but it's not like you're eating wood chips and formaldehyde.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:39 AM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 44,969
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Regarding "pink slime;" I think there's enough legitimately wrong with factory farming practices that making **** up is unnecessary. Sure, it sounds unappetizing, but it's not like you're eating wood chips and formaldehyde.
If the stuff is what has been making the texture of burger awful, it is a problem that this was not disclosed.
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 10:44 AM   #33
Jekyll's Guest
Master Poster
 
Jekyll's Guest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,205
Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
I have not heard of people eating spleen - whats it taste like?
It's...hard to expleen.
Jekyll's Guest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 11:01 AM   #34
rustypouch
Philosopher
 
rustypouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5,800
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Animal welfare, too. Factory farm cattle are crammed in very tightly, and don't have a lot of room to move around.

There's also an environmental angle; the waste results of factory farming are, uh, not exactly pleasant.
No, they're not pleasant. But raising beef conventionally, in feedlots and such, is more sustainable than raising it in a free-range, organic method.

As for pink slime, it just reeks of scare tactics to me. Someone devised a way to separate meat from fat and connective tissue, but it leaves the meat in a paste-like form. Good for them for finding a use for meat that would have otherwise been wasted.

With all the worries about ammonia being used in the process, I wonder if the same people also avoid eating grits because lye is used in the process.
rustypouch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 11:08 AM   #35
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami
 
defaultdotxbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,474
Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
With all the worries about ammonia being used in the process, I wonder if the same people also avoid eating grits because lye is used in the process.
i dont know about grits but i think everyone should avoid eating lutefisk
__________________
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
defaultdotxbe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 11:10 AM   #36
Mick Houlahan
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 229
This outrage is silly - what did people THINK went into their meat? Upton Sinclair made it pretty clear, and there's no reason to think the meat industry's changed much since "The Jungle." What happened here was that people saw that photo of mechanically separated turkey or chicken parts (that's the stuff that looks like pink toothpaste,) and started screaming about what's in their beef. Or, more precisely, what's in their KIDS' beef, because nothing starts a panic better than a perceived threat to people's precious darlings. That dingbat "chef" Jamie Oliver also helped by creating a huge strawman argument on his cooking show - complete with a locked kitchen cabinet containing a bottle of liquid ammonia among other household poisons, which he poured straight into a container of beef trimmings in a misleading demonstration of how beef is treated at the plant. This was after he made an aside - "this is what I IMAGINE HAPPENING." All this was done with a group of kids in attendance, naturally, to improve the theater.
Mick Houlahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 11:23 AM   #37
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 9,479
Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
i dont know about grits but i think everyone should avoid eating lutefisk
Or balut
__________________
"Things that never happened before happen all the time." (Scott Sagan, 1993)
"Put down the Wite-Out and step away from the dictionary." (000063, 2012)
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." (John Kenneth Galbraith, 1971)
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 11:24 AM   #38
Oliver
~The Rascal~
 
Oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,361
Originally Posted by Draca View Post
The USDA has utterly betrayed the American people in favor of big business.

That's news to you? Did you see the Food, Inc. documentary yet?

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Seriously, I don't see the problem.

There is a great Jamie Oliver episode talking about the Green Slime - and to me it doesn't really look or sound all that tasty, to be honest.

Actually I wonder why they don't reuse the content of the guts as well using the ammonia washing process, if they get away with it in the US anyway.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________

Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 11:44 AM   #39
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,812
Originally Posted by lssbb View Post
or balut
gack!
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 12:22 PM   #40
Verde
Muse
 
Verde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Where the jackalopes roam.
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Or balut
With a side order of durian.

Good eating, but say goodbye to your date for the evening.

V.
__________________
It makes sense, if you don't think about it. - T-Mobile ad
You're innocent when you dream. - Tom Waits
Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool. - Samuel Clemens
Verde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.