ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bird watching , birders , birds , ornithology

Old 2nd September 2012, 08:45 AM   #201
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Well, I'm not a birder, but while I was in Michigan I was visiting one, and we saw a buff-breasted sandpiper, which was apparently migrating, and a Whimbrel, which was standing on one leg. (Both at Whitefish Point).
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:19 AM   #202
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Went to Ballona Creek yesterday morning. There's just not a lot there this time of year, and even at the best of times, I rarely get really good pictures there.

I think I counted 15 species, not including a few passing gulls. But that 15 does include crows, mourning doves, mallards, a starling, and other not-terribly-noteworthy birds.

But there was a white-tailed kite flying around, and while it wasn't close enough for great pictures, it was close enough for 'maybe' pictures. This is only the 2nd time I've seen a kite, and the previous time was much farther away and I had to identify it from the picture once I got home.

So not-quite-a-first for me, but close.

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...7C3265crop.jpg

That's a nice looking bird. The longest lens I have is 300mm, so I take a lot of 'maybe' pictures. We get more than the occasional grab shot of something distant or flitting around in the brush, knowing it won't be a keeper photo, but hoping to make an ID when we get home.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:28 AM   #203
PetersCreek
Muse

I did some flyfishing yesterday morning, float tubing Seventeen Mile Lake. It rained the entire time and I didn't get bite one but on the way back to the truck, a pair of common loons let me get quite close before diving. It looked like I might have caught on napping.
PetersCreek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2012, 05:40 PM   #204
GeeMack
Banned

About this time of year we have these wonderful huge flocks of American White Pelicans moving south along the Illinois River...

These guys have a wingspan of almost ten feet, pretty much the largest of any bird in North America. Sometimes the flocks are several hundred birds. They do this smooth graceful synchronized flying thing. When they turn edgeways the whole flock sort of disappears, then as they turn back flat-ways, the whole flock slowly fades back into view. It's a gorgeous sight.

Last edited by GeeMack; 6th September 2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Fixed photo size.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2012, 12:49 PM   #205
GeeMack
Banned

With a long migration ahead of them, the Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds in Illinois are taking on extra fuel about this time of year. One visitor to our feeder doesn't seem to care about people. He won't even wait until I have a fresh feeder hung up before he comes in to get a drink!

Old 17th September 2012, 01:14 PM   #206
mummymonkey
Did you spill my pint?

Great picture GeeMack and wonderfull to think of such a tiny animal taking on such a journey.
Our local ospreys chicks have just set off on their first trip to West Africa and you can track their journeys via satellite here.
Old 17th September 2012, 05:35 PM   #207
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by mummymonkey View Post
Great picture GeeMack and wonderfull to think of such a tiny animal taking on such a journey.
Our local ospreys chicks have just set off on their first trip to West Africa and you can track their journeys via satellite here.

That satellite tracking is a pretty cool use of technology.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:40 PM   #208
Shiner
Motor Mouth

G'day everyone, I just found this thread, and thought you might be interested in a post I did on the weekend in the Australia thread. I'm not really a bird watcher, but I have an interest in all Australian wildlife. At the monent I have an abundance of bird life in my backyard (10 acres with a dam and bush) I'm lacking a decent camera atm, so good photos are hard to get, but I'll try and show some Australian birds shortly.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=2830

Please note, it's not my photography. I took the images from google.

Last edited by Shiner; 18th September 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2012, 10:46 PM   #209
Floyt
Chordate

Nothing special, but yesterday got to watch all morning as an Eurasian jay stocked the pine outside my office window with acorns. Every three minutes he came in over the rooftops, crammed an acorn into some crevice, regarded it sideways, made a satisfied comment to himself, and went off again. Someone's going to be well prepared for winter.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:47 PM   #210
PetersCreek
Muse

We got our first snow of the season last night and I just saw two or three dozen Varied Thrushes moving through the trees around our house. It was very strange seeing so many after a summer with only three or four sightings, which is typical here. I've never seen them gather like that before.
PetersCreek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2012, 12:07 PM   #211
Skwinty
Philosopher

Here's a radical raptor looking for some fresh raw chicken breast.

I love these feathered flying machines.

What is reality? Nothing but a collective hunch.
--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 11:08 AM   #212
joobie
i don't care

i love raptors too. just yesterday i was walking into my house and heard a SKREEEEEEE above. 3 raptors circling. i only managed this picture:

hawk flying overhead this afternoon by philside92, on Flickr

saw this little bird in the park the other day, and it has me and a friend totally stumped as to what it might be (i'm in philadelphia):

Untitled by philside92, on Flickr
Old 14th October 2012, 11:16 AM   #213
joobie
i don't care

caught this goldfinch snacking on some basil seed in my garden last month:

male goldfinch eating basil seeds by philside92, on Flickr
Old 14th October 2012, 11:59 AM   #214
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by joobie View Post
saw this little bird in the park the other day, and it has me and a friend totally stumped as to what it might be (i'm in philadelphia):

Looks like a Goldfinch in his winter outfit, kind of pale, maybe a bit early in the season for losing that much color. But they can vary quite a bit.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:53 PM   #215
joobie
i don't care

someone else said the same thing, but i think the shape of the beak is wrong for a goldfinch.
Old 14th October 2012, 03:21 PM   #216
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

someone else said the same thing, but i think the shape of the beak is wrong for a goldfinch.
I wasn't liking the beak for a goldfinch, either, but I have to admit that the picture looks a lot like Sibley's adult nonbreeding female American goldfinch.
Old 14th October 2012, 04:45 PM   #217
The Shrike
Master Poster

Yep it's a goldfinch, and the raptor in question is a Red-tailed Hawk - great photos!

GeeMack - good on ya for using the el cheapo hummingbird feeders. I run 2-3 of the $0.79 specials from Wal-Mart - no need for the fancy-pants blown glass ones that are hard to clean and store so much nectar that most of it ends up spoiled before it's consumed.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 06:49 PM   #218
joobie
i don't care

thanks for the ID help, guys.

can i ask how you can tell it's a red-tailed hawk? i have a lot of trouble telling the difference between some of the the raptors in the area - we also have cooper's and sharp-shinned hawks and they all look alike to me.
Old 14th October 2012, 06:59 PM   #219
dasmiller

thanks for the ID help, guys.

can i ask how you can tell it's a red-tailed hawk? i have a lot of trouble telling the difference between some of the the raptors in the area - we also have cooper's and sharp-shinned hawks and they all look alike to me.
The white underside of the wing, with some black markings, looks very red-tail to me. Plus the tail isn't striped like an accipiter.

<sigh> I've found that whenever I'm not sure what kind of hawk I've seen, it's a red-tailed hawk. Unfortunately.
Old 15th October 2012, 01:06 PM   #220
joobie
i don't care

some pictures from when i went to peru in april:

rufous-collared sparrow:

rufous-collared sparrow. yucay, perú. by philside92, on Flickr

long-tailed mockingbird:

long-tailed mockingbird by philside92, on Flickr

male shiny cowbird:

male shiny cowbird by philside92, on Flickr

masked crimson tanager:

Untitled by philside92, on Flickr

there were a couple more birds i saw but alas, no picture - a quetzal (a highlight of my trip!) and also giant hummingbirds.

Last edited by joobie; 15th October 2012 at 01:12 PM.
joobie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2012, 11:58 AM   #221
Skwinty
Philosopher

Here are some bird pics I took over the weekend.
On the Breede river between Witsand and Malgas.

Some more found here:

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/a...0of%20Witsand/

--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2012, 12:15 PM   #222
joobie
i don't care

very nice!

today i got a few good pics of a great blue heron:

great blue heron (ardea herodias) by philside92, on Flickr

Last edited by joobie; 16th October 2012 at 12:17 PM.
joobie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2012, 12:18 PM   #223
GeeMack
Banned

very nice!

today i got a few good pics of a great blue heron:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8...84983615_b.jpg

Beauty. The herons and egrets are some of my favorite birds.
Old 16th October 2012, 01:09 PM   #224
joobie
i don't care

it's funny, too - the last time i was in the park i missed getting a photo of an egret because i didn't have my camera ready. so i got my camera ready as i was entering the park, and BAM. it was right there, probably a shade less than 50 feet away.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:26 PM   #225
The Shrike
Master Poster

Narrowing down hawks to genus (or similar taxonomic level) is a great first step.

Coops and Sharpies are Accipiters - forest hawks that primarily hunt birds with a mad dash attack through forest canopies. Accipiters are built for agile dodging through the trees, with short, broad wings and long, narrow tails. They occasionally spread wings and soar in circles on rising columns of air (thermals), but usually you see them perched or swooping into your backyard in the hopes of catching a feeder bird off-guard. Both Coops and Sharpies are common in urban and rural areas in North America. They're tough to identify because their plumage is similar and they overlap in size. At the extremes though, they're pretty obvious: a male Sharpie is barely bigger than a Blue Jay, and the tip of its tail will look really squared off. A female Cooper's is about as big as a crow, and the tip of her tail is noticeably rounded. Regardless of size or sex, a Cooper's Hawk has a proportionately larger head than a Sharp-shinned (and just a bit of a crest).

Red-tailed Hawk is a Buteo. Buteos often hunt by circling around in the sky and then diving on prey below, though that's hardly a universal hunting tactic for them. They are more likely to be seen over open country than Accipiters, but both Red-shouldered and Red-tailed hawks have been doing quite well in urban areas in recent years.

Buteos have long, broad wings and relatively short, squared off tails.

Your bird is an obvious redtail because . . .

1) You can see the very pale reddish tinge to the feathers photographed from below.
2) The leading edge of the wing close to the body (the "arm" as opposed to the "hand") is called the "patagium". Redtails almost always have a dark patch on the patagium, and those patches show up very well on the wings of the bird you photographed.

Great photos - keep having fun!

~The Shrike
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 04:59 PM   #226
joobie
i don't care

awesome explanation. thanks so much.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:04 PM   #227
Skwinty
Philosopher

Here are some pics taken yesterday.

I think it's a red kite and it was exhibiting the exact behaviour that Shrike describes.

Not sure which species the in line formation is.

--Lily Tomlin

Last edited by Skwinty; 18th October 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fixed broken link
Old 18th October 2012, 12:07 PM   #228
Skwinty
Philosopher

duplicate post

--Lily Tomlin

Last edited by Skwinty; 18th October 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:26 PM   #229
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skwinty View Post
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af92/skwinty/868.jpg
Could be Sacred Ibis

http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/me...SIbis_1791.jpg
Old 18th October 2012, 12:29 PM   #230
dasmiller

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af92/skwinty/868.jpg
I'm thinking it's some kind of ibis, maybe sacred ibis?

ETA: Ninja'd!
Old 18th October 2012, 12:49 PM   #231
Skwinty
Philosopher

Thanks, I love birds, but no good at names.

--Lily Tomlin
Old 18th October 2012, 05:19 PM   #232
jt512
Muse

I've been trying to figure out what a pair of birds who've been visiting our backyard here in L. A. for a year or so were. I've been trying to photograph them, but I've never been able to get a clear shot. Today, I finally figured out that they are red-whiskered bulbuls.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2012, 07:46 AM   #233
GeeMack
Banned

Cedar Waxwings are gathering by the hundreds here in central Illinois. We will have them here through the winter, but the most northern ones will be coming down from Canada, and that probably displaces our locals to areas further south.

Old 23rd October 2012, 02:20 PM   #234
joobie
i don't care

downy woodpecker by philside92, on Flickr
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:57 PM   #235
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't have a camera with me, but while I was down at our pond today saw a magnificent pileated woodpecker. Not a very novel sight, perhaps, but I never tire of them. Big, bright, and noisy.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:49 PM   #236
mummymonkey
Did you spill my pint?

Here are some pics taken yesterday.

I think it's a red kite and it was exhibiting the exact behaviour that Shrike describes.
Looks more like a black kite.
Old 23rd October 2012, 04:49 PM   #237
macdoc
Philosopher

Despite a very wet dark day - turned out to be a decent day as hard to get to sit still cedar waxwings posed for a family pic outside my window

North American robin was stuffing its face on the same choke cherry tree.

yesterday was lovely for S Ontario this late in the year. Put 300 km on the bike and caught a great blue heron fishing along Lake Erie..

macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 01:51 PM   #238
joobie
i don't care

male ruby-crowned kinglet:

male ruby-crowned kinglet (regulus calendula) by philside92, on Flickr

Last edited by joobie; 24th October 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 24th October 2012, 09:22 PM   #239
macdoc
Philosopher

Nice shot of the kinglet - they are so small.

Maybe someone could identify this. Shot in Norway in Sept.

•••

This was one of the more amusing shots.
I scared up an osprey and as it popped up, the dove which I did not see when taking the photo, clearly wondered where the B52 bomber came from and put on the brakes big time.
Stood himself right up in the air.

•••

Spent a lovely half hour in the back yard watching some young blue jays drive mum and dad nuts.

what you got?? ....I want it ......

was still learning the camera and did not quite get it in focus but not bad - red wing blackbird showing where he gets his moniker from

at least he posed for me later

Last edited by macdoc; 24th October 2012 at 09:23 PM.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 08:03 PM   #240
macdoc
Philosopher

Male cardinal finally posed after much flitting about

Pigging on choke cherries almost his colour.

sun came out a few minutes later but he was long gone.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology