ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th April 2012, 01:21 PM   #161
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by SphereGuy View Post
Reminds me of another work in progress I have called The Early Adventures of Jesus of Nazereth where he learns tricks from the people he meets on the road such as how to turn water into wine, how to clear someone's eyes, etc. clearing the way for him to perform these "miracles" in his later years. Kinda modeled on the old Kevin Sorbo "Hercules" series.
Don't tell me: There's a spin-off called Mary Magdalene: Warrior Princess.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 01:51 PM   #162
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Or Diana: Warrior Princess.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 06:51 PM   #163
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

It's great to see a thread just for authors/writers/people who want to get their ideas and work in front of as many eyeballs as possible while making some money at the same time.

That said, I'm seeing a lot of conversation about fiction writing, but that's not where I'm coming from. Having written a manuscript regarding a thesis I've developed for 20-plus years, I'm struggling to find an agent under the traditional model. I found a copy editor willing to edit my work rather quickly (we shared a membership on online academic forum), so I suppose I'm spoiled as to how quickly non-fiction can get published. I've lost count of how many query letters and proposals I've sent out over the past 18 months, and I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't disheartening.

Of course, I've looked into self-publishing, as well as e-publishing (more so since Apple released their free ibooks author software designed to allow writers to input their manuscript, add photos, graphs, charts, imbedded videos, etc, and submit it for consideration in Apple's ibook store.

I also found Eisenbrauns, a company who accepts my type of manuscript (of a scholarly bent, yet lacking academic credentials, in the areas of the ancient world), so I suppose there is hope.

Am I giving up too quickly on traditional publishing? Is traditional publishing going the way of the dodo in my lifetime? I'm on the fence.

Last edited by OCaptain; 25th April 2012 at 06:53 PM.
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 10:14 AM   #164
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

To clear up points I made earlier: Writing fiction, it's just for me writing for fun, and reworking isn't fun for me so I scrap and start over. Writing shorter pieces for folks to record in podcasts I take a little more seriously and edit/rework when I can.

I hate my own voice and have real sound quality issues with my computer and its location, so I tend to write and beg others to do the recording in more audio-friendly voices. (And if anybody needs codswallop written for a podcast tweet me)

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 11:24 AM   #165
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
...And if anybody needs codswallop ...
For the non-Brits, that's "nonsense". As long as I had to look it up I thought I'd share.

Have you thought about selling or giving away your stuff for the fanfiction folks to rework?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th April 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 11:35 AM   #166
Avery Dashwood
Scholar

OCaptain,

What is the subject of your book?
Avery Dashwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 12:53 PM   #167
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Avery Dashwood View Post
OCaptain,

What is the subject of your book?
The Likely Disposition of the Hebrew Ark of the Covenant in Ancient Times (that's a working subtitle, btw).
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 03:04 PM   #168
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Just fyi, I upped my price from .99 to 2.99 so I could get the 70% royalty instead of the 35%. Still selling about two a week. Oh yay!
Old 26th April 2012, 04:05 PM   #169
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just fyi, I upped my price from .99 to 2.99 so I could get the 70% royalty instead of the 35%. Still selling about two a week. Oh yay!
I suppose you could continue playing with that price until you start dropping sales.
Old 26th April 2012, 06:03 PM   #170
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Which one? Or is this for both? Either way, I think it's cool.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 12:43 AM   #171
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

The field testing done by successful eBook sellers indicates that $2.99 is about the bare minimum price for a full length novel eBook. Anything lower than that and people appear to immediately discount it as low quality.

A lot of writers have reported experimenting with dropping prices for a month, and not only did their revenue drop (as you'd expect) but their actual sales numbers dropped too. Between $3 and $6 seems to be a sweet spot for novels.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 12:50 AM   #172
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

So we started shooting this week, and I'm rehearsing to a play. Also trying to put together the website for my book. Needless to say, progress on the book itself has ground to a halt!

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 09:12 AM   #173
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Got a new rejection letter yesterday! Hooray! This one from Jennifer De Chiara, who wrote in her reply: "Not for me, but thanks." Wow! Punctuation and everything! I feel so special.

This raises my rejection total to 7. That leaves currently 10 queries unanswered (but two of these were from 6 months ago, so I should really count those as rejections, shouldn't I?)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 01:41 PM   #174
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Starthinker View Post
Reminds me of another work in progress I have called The Early Adventures of Jesus of Nazereth where he learns tricks from the people he meets on the road such as how to turn water into wine, how to clear someone's eyes, etc. clearing the way for him to perform these "miracles" in his later years. Kinda modeled on the old Kevin Sorbo "Hercules" series.
Kinda sounds like Lamb:

http://www.chrismoore.com/lamb.html
Old 28th April 2012, 07:24 AM   #175
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

I just entered the Judge Dredd short story competition over at 2000AD with a story called "You are the Law" . Wont have a chance at winning, but will dream of that replica law giver mounted on my wall.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 09:50 AM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I just entered the Judge Dredd short story competition over at 2000AD with a story called "You are the Law" . Wont have a chance at winning, but will dream of that replica law giver mounted on my wall.
Is that the title of your piece or the theme of the contest?

You Are the Law video game on the 2000AD site.
Old 28th April 2012, 12:36 PM   #177
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Got a new rejection letter yesterday! Hooray! This one from Jennifer De Chiara, who wrote in her reply: "Not for me, but thanks." Wow! Punctuation and everything! I feel so special.

This raises my rejection total to 7. That leaves currently 10 queries unanswered (but two of these were from 6 months ago, so I should really count those as rejections, shouldn't I?)
I got 16 rejections & was accepted on the 17th query, so your time may be coming! After a period of time, those no-reply (rude!) queries should be counted as rejections, but don't give up too soon - many agents/publishers take quite a while to get around to reviewing a query. I'd count the six-month-old ones as rejections, I think.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 01:29 PM   #178
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is that the title of your piece or the theme of the contest?

You Are the Law video game on the 2000AD site.
The title of my piece. Only knew of the app as DreddVsZombies as it is advertised as elsewhere. Never mind... Another reason I wont win.

Old 28th April 2012, 02:58 PM   #179
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The title of my piece. Only knew of the app as DreddVsZombies as it is advertised as elsewhere. Never mind... Another reason I wont win.
It's an interesting coincidence then. Does your story resemble the game plot at all?

I wouldn't worry the title was the same. I notice there are lots and lots of books with the same titles. Tiktaalik's book, "Stolen", doesn't have a unique name even if it is a unique story. I think if someone writes a book anytime soon calling it "The Hunger Games" it could be a problem. It's like ball players that use the same numbers over and over but when someone gains fame like Michael Jordan the number is retired.
Old 28th April 2012, 03:33 PM   #180
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

7 rejections?!? I wish I only had 7 rejections! I've gotten so many that I can tell when it's a robo-reply versus a real human on the other end. Typically, I go through AAR member agents for my query letters, and will go back and start over again at the first name on the list in 6 months.

Last edited by OCaptain; 28th April 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 28th April 2012, 10:15 PM   #181
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Now there's an idea. Mary Magdalene is a freed female gladiator who comes home. She's changed after fighting in the arena can't get along with the family, joins up with Jesus, kicks ass for him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 03:29 PM   #182
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
I got 16 rejections & was accepted on the 17th query, so your time may be coming! After a period of time, those no-reply (rude!) queries should be counted as rejections, but don't give up too soon - many agents/publishers take quite a while to get around to reviewing a query. I'd count the six-month-old ones as rejections, I think.
Cool, thanks for the advice. I think the concept and writing are really solid, so I expect an acceptance letter at some point. But waiting is a proverbial bitch.

Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
7 rejections?!? I wish I only had 7 rejections! I've gotten so many that I can tell when it's a robo-reply versus a real human on the other end. Typically, I go through AAR member agents for my query letters, and will go back and start over again at the first name on the list in 6 months.
I use the list of agents at AbsoluteWrite.com, and I research every agent -- for reputability and preferred genres -- with a yahoo search before I submit a query. Some want queries only, others want the first three chapters, others a synopsis, etc. I now have 9 rejections and have submitted an additional 10 beyond those I first reported. And I'm still in the 'A's!!!

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Now there's an idea. Mary Magdalene is a freed female gladiator who comes home. She's changed after fighting in the arena can't get along with the family, joins up with Jesus, kicks ass for him.
"I have not come to bring peace, but a gladiator sword and a net for capturing opponents and then stabbing them repeatedly." -- Jesus of Nazareth

Old 30th April 2012, 04:09 PM   #183
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I feel like a real writer now, just got my first rejection letter!

Old 30th April 2012, 04:57 PM   #184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
Oh no! Was that the publisher you've been waiting months on?
Old 30th April 2012, 08:17 PM   #185
Beanbag
Illuminator

Remember to get it framed.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

If Jesus is the answer, it must be a real dumb question.
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 08:58 PM   #186
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Welcome to the club!

Old 2nd May 2012, 12:57 PM   #187
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Got my first request for full manuscript today! -- from the Barbara Zitwer Agency.

I'm thrilled, of course, and have sent her the full 81,000-page book as a Word file, per her request.

I'm wary, though, because I've gathered that Zitwer sometimes charges fees for critique and editing services, before she'll agree to submit a work to publishers. This runs counter to accepted agent practices, which dictate that an agent gets paid if and only if the book sells.

Zitwer also charges for copies of the book (to distribute to publishers), when these are generally seen as standard costs of doing business.

I'll wait and see.

Old 2nd May 2012, 01:01 PM   #188
Pacal
Muse

I am revising my book on the Athenian Egyptian Expedition.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:21 PM   #189
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Got my first request for full manuscript today! -- from the Barbara Zitwer Agency.

I'm thrilled, of course, and have sent her the full 81,000-page book as a Word file, per her request.

I'm wary, though, because I've gathered that Zitwer sometimes charges fees for critique and editing services, before she'll agree to submit a work to publishers. This runs counter to accepted agent practices, which dictate that an agent gets paid if and only if the book sells.

Zitwer also charges for copies of the book (to distribute to publishers), when these are generally seen as standard costs of doing business.

I'll wait and see.
Really (bolded part)? Dang.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:53 PM   #190
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Dang is right. I've got a long way to go, I'm only on page 279.

I have ~137,000 words though. I'm definitely thinking a 2 book series.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd May 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:36 PM   #191
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Heh.

Of course I meant 81,000-word book. Double-spaced at 12 pt. TNR, it works out to about 240 pages.

Smart ass.

Old 3rd May 2012, 02:18 PM   #192
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Heh.

Of course I meant 81,000-word book. Double-spaced at 12 pt. TNR, it works out to about 240 pages.

Smart ass.
Whew. I thought you were really prolific! Each of the first two of my trilogy is 85,000 and the third is 104,000 (overlong). Words. No page numbers since they don't translate on ebooks...
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:21 PM   #193
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Zitwer has offered to represent me, and has provided an agreement for me to sign.

Problem is, I don't especially like the contract. I have several objections that I'm not sure she's going to like, or agree to.

She's been very encouraging about my work, praising the writing and stating she feels it has "international appeal". Obviously it's thrilling to hear praise from someone like her -- a film producer, playwright and an agent with a proven sales record.

The only thing to do is list my objections to the contract, and hope we can work out a mutually beneficial compromise. I'm sure I'll wind up kicking myself if she declines my counter-agreement, and I can't find another agent who likes my stuff as much as she claims to.

Old 4th May 2012, 03:00 AM   #194
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Zitwer has offered to represent me, and has provided an agreement for me to sign.

Problem is, I don't especially like the contract. I have several objections that I'm not sure she's going to like, or agree to.

She's been very encouraging about my work, praising the writing and stating she feels it has "international appeal". Obviously it's thrilling to hear praise from someone like her -- a film producer, playwright and an agent with a proven sales record.

The only thing to do is list my objections to the contract, and hope we can work out a mutually beneficial compromise. I'm sure I'll wind up kicking myself if she declines my counter-agreement, and I can't find another agent who likes my stuff as much as she claims to.
http://www.writers.net/forum/showthr...gency-question

While I'm not offering advice, you should read this. Remember, the only place a writer signs a check is on the back.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 05:56 AM   #195
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I've found similar discussions of her editing fees from the early-to-mid 2000s. She seems to have ceased this practice, or at least no one has complained about it on-line since 2006.

She hasn't asked me for a dime. My concern is that once I sign a contract she will demand money up-front, and that, since I'll be locked into an exclusive agreement with her, I won't be able to do anything else with the manuscript, so I'll reluctantly capitulate.

I'm currently framing my objections to her agreement-as-offered, and I'll be sure to include a stipulation that any fees be taken out of the royalties, not out of my pocket.

Old 4th May 2012, 06:02 AM   #196
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

You might also check Predators & Editors if you haven't yet:

http://pred-ed.com/

ETA: on this page: http://pred-ed.com/pealb.htm she is listed as "not recommended"...

Last edited by Tiktaalik; 4th May 2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 4th May 2012, 08:19 AM   #197
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm so glad I'm learning so much from you guys. Thanks.
Old 4th May 2012, 08:31 AM   #198
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The Life of Huckleberry Candide: **** Happens and it ain't All Good.

I fear the themes may be overdone however.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 09:05 AM   #199
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

You might also check Predators & Editors if you haven't yet:

http://pred-ed.com/

ETA: on this page: http://pred-ed.com/pealb.htm she is listed as "not recommended"...

Right. Probably as a result of the fees she (used to?) charge. But her published authors, such as Eric Garcia, speak very highly of her as a "bulldog" who won't quit trying to sell your novel.

So yeah, mixed bag. I'm still doing research into her and I have several lines out. My feeling is as long as I can get her to agree to my terms (no up-front fees, shorter term contract, no "irrevocable" rights to represent me, etc.) then she'll be a terrific agent.

Old 8th May 2012, 08:07 AM   #200
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

I'll wait and see.
Don't get scammed into paying reading or critique fees. It's a shady practice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts