ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 19th May 2012, 06:59 PM   #241
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I finally got a review of "Stolen" written (sci-fi fan 962). Amazon is reviewing the review posted it. Hooray, it's my first Amazon review.
Thanks! Reviews on Amazon are very important - it doesn't even really matter if they're great reviews or not, the more the merrier, because it affects the order in which books come up in searches.

I'm now in editing for Book Two: Crypt of Souls. Not sure when it will come out but I hope by the end of the summer...
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2012, 07:37 PM   #242
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Thanks! Reviews on Amazon are very important - it doesn't even really matter if they're great reviews or not, the more the merrier, because it affects the order in which books come up in searches.

I'm now in editing for Book Two: Crypt of Souls. Not sure when it will come out but I hope by the end of the summer...
For the record, it was an honest review.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2012, 08:25 AM   #243
DallasDad
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 770
And very nice reviews (3 of them as of a moment ago), too!
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2012, 11:01 AM   #244
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I finally got a review of "Stolen" written (sci-fi fan 962). Amazon is reviewing the review posted it. Hooray, it's my first Amazon review.
Ahhhh that's the thin end of the wedge; soon you'll be obsessively critiquing books, pointing out plot holes and nitpicking over details of nineteenth century British army ranks and weapons.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2012, 11:37 AM   #245
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Ahhhh that's the thin end of the wedge; soon you'll be obsessively critiquing books, pointing out plot holes and nitpicking over details of nineteenth century British army ranks and weapons.
It's true. Personally I'm at that mid-way point where I write out the review beforehand in Word & review & revise several times before posting it anywhere. Sometimes I even look up information while I'm writing. It's terrible.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2012, 06:29 AM   #246
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
It's true. Personally I'm at that mid-way point where I write out the review beforehand in Word & review & revise several times before posting it anywhere. Sometimes I even look up information while I'm writing. It's terrible.
Some books cry out for detailed, methodical, shredding, they're so badly written and researched.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2012, 11:08 AM   #247
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Just bought and downloaded Scrivener. It looks perfect for my needs so thanks to all for the recommendation. I'm a tad concerned that backups on flash drives will confuse me, but I suppose I'll figure it out. I just don't want to have to save a gazillion files and it seems I always end up with empty folders when I try to copy all the files in one at once.

The advantages, OTOH, it's no question I will benefit from them. My work was getting very unwieldy and I can see from reading dialogue I've written, those parts will take repeated re-writing. I do like the outcome once I've worked on it, but some of the first drafts sound very dorky in text. In my head, not so much.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 10:57 PM   #248
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
I'm going to risk my first edit. I'm going to a writer's MeetUp group next week. I'm only sharing a scene mind you, not the whole novel which isn't ready for review. I picked a risky scene for a newbie writer. It has some tricky dialogue and emotions: a confession, by a main character who is generally a good guy, that he experienced the desire to rape when he felt the fear of a girl he was helping. Not only is it out of place for this character, we have already learned he hates his father who really was a rapist.

I'll let you know if it was positive or they tore it apart.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 06:29 AM   #249
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm going to risk my first edit. I'm going to a writer's MeetUp group next week. I'm only sharing a scene mind you, not the whole novel which isn't ready for review. I picked a risky scene for a newbie writer. It has some tricky dialogue and emotions: a confession, by a main character who is generally a good guy, that he experienced the desire to rape when he felt the fear of a girl he was helping. Not only is it out of place for this character, we have already learned he hates his father who really was a rapist.

I'll let you know if it was positive or they tore it apart.
I used to go to a writer's group when I lived in the L.A. area - it was quite valuable but also a lot of work as I also had to review other peoples' works. I enjoyed it, though.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 08:46 AM   #250
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
I used to go to a writer's group when I lived in the L.A. area - it was quite valuable but also a lot of work as I also had to review other peoples' works. I enjoyed it, though.
That's how this group works. There are about 6-10 people at each meeting from what I can see, and everyone brings a few pages for review. It's perfect for what I need at the moment, a place to begin tuning my ideas.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 03:29 AM   #251
cj.23
Master Poster
 
cj.23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,827
Three more roleplaying game supplements in my case. Not very edifying I guess, but I was ranked 4th million on Amazon a while back for one of my books A few of the earlier ones on my Amazon profile here -- http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Jensen-R...8028100&sr=1-1

cj x
__________________
I'm an Anglican Christian, so I declare my prejudice here. Please take it in to account when reading my posts. "Most people would rather die than think: many do." - Betrand Russell

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 06:09 AM   #252
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Originally Posted by cj.23 View Post
Three more roleplaying game supplements in my case. Not very edifying I guess, but I was ranked 4th million on Amazon a while back for one of my books A few of the earlier ones on my Amazon profile here -- http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Jensen-R...8028100&sr=1-1

cj x
I got a chuckle out of the bio and the cover art looks great. But the price makes it hard to review your work. Have you thought about offering those low cost Kindle versions? Or is the Ars Roleplaying something like Dungeons and Dragons and not conducive to Kindle? I take it there is a customer base for this stuff? Guess I'll Google it.

I see.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th May 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 08:19 AM   #253
cj.23
Master Poster
 
cj.23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,827
HI Skeptic - they are just D&D style game books: I don't set the prices, and they are basically straight 13th century history with Wizards and dragons and stuff. I'm useless as a fiction writer: one of my short stories is online, but it's based on a literary joke and requires you to get the reference, which is utterly annoying if you don't, and makes it worthless -- why itt lives on my blog despite a couple of anthology offers. I find this kind of thing annoying when others do it. Still the story is here -- http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2011/1...s-ghost-story/

I have no talent in fiction writing, but I enjoy others. I'll happily do what I can to review (honestly), promote and publicise everyone's books. If anyone wants any specific help and they think I might be able to assist, just pm me. I do know a bit about publishers but sure we have much better informed people on the forum.

cj x
__________________
I'm an Anglican Christian, so I declare my prejudice here. Please take it in to account when reading my posts. "Most people would rather die than think: many do." - Betrand Russell

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 02:43 PM   #254
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
Just signed the contract for Book Two with the publisher. Kind of surprised me as I don't think Book One is selling that well. Am now waiting for the edits & cover art. The last cover art was a surprise but I liked it. Hope this one will be as good.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 04:50 PM   #255
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Just signed the contract for Book Two with the publisher. Kind of surprised me as I don't think Book One is selling that well. Am now waiting for the edits & cover art. The last cover art was a surprise but I liked it. Hope this one will be as good.
That's great. I'm anxious to read book 2.

So I was wondering, on another note, how long was it before "50 shades of not-so-good" went from completed to viral? How was it promoted? I'm not asking anyone to look it up. I will and I'll post it here. But if anyone already knows I'd be interested.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 05:09 PM   #256
cj.23
Master Poster
 
cj.23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,827
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's great. I'm anxious to read book 2.

So I was wondering, on another note, how long was it before "50 shades of not-so-good" went from completed to viral? How was it promoted? I'm not asking anyone to look it up. I will and I'll post it here. But if anyone already knows I'd be interested.
I actually was going to order a book on how it weas written and marketed cos it sounded fascinating, but never did because then I would have to read the 50 shades series to understand what the other book was about!

Oh and Tiktaalik, many congrats! I can see if I can order Book 1 tomorrow, and then do a review as well. Skeptic Ginger is really doing well promoting peoples writing, I love this, and am keen to assist in any way I can

Stolen now has three 5 star reviews I see!

cj x
__________________
I'm an Anglican Christian, so I declare my prejudice here. Please take it in to account when reading my posts. "Most people would rather die than think: many do." - Betrand Russell

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com

Last edited by cj.23; 28th May 2012 at 05:11 PM.
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 05:48 PM   #257
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
I didn't read "50 shades", CJ, just a smattering of the Amazon reviews and I know it was Twilight fanfiction. I'd read a different Twilight fanfiction piece. It started out good, gave Bella more credit for having a brain, but I stopped reading midway because it got tedious and uninteresting.

This is an interesting account of 50 shades.
Quote:
The book is a rewriting of a title that had previously been called Master of the Universe and published for free on a fan fiction site under the authorship of Snowsqueen Icedragon (according to IMDB). Fan fiction blog, Dear Author carried out numerous comparison tests. They found the book, according to the plagiarism detection app TurnItIn, to be 89% identical to the previous title. Now there doesn’t seem to be a matter of plagiarism here at all since the published author and the fan fiction author are assumed to be the same E L James.
It would appear that giving your stuff away for free is not always unprofitable.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th May 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 06:01 PM   #258
cj.23
Master Poster
 
cj.23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,827
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I didn't read "50 shades", CJ, just a smattering of the Amazon reviews and I know it was Twilight fanfiction.
This is an interesting account of 50 shades.It would appear that giving your stuff away for free is not always unprofitable.

Yep. Here is the book I mentioned - thought might be useful in looking at how it was marketed -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Million-Shad.../dp/B007O5WVDS

cj x
__________________
I'm an Anglican Christian, so I declare my prejudice here. Please take it in to account when reading my posts. "Most people would rather die than think: many do." - Betrand Russell

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 06:57 PM   #259
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
That's great, CJ. Thanks for the link. These 50 shades take offs cracked me up. Fan fiction of fan fiction I guess.

Fifty Shades of Black and Blue by I B Naughtie

Fifty Shades of Beige: A Parody by Reid Mockery

From the link:
Quote:
James' initial fan fiction work, Master of the Universe, had over 30,000 reviews from Twilight fans before the characters' names were changed and it was republished by an Australian company specializing in 'filing off the serial numbers', as this practice is known in fan fiction circles.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th May 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 08:34 PM   #260
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Geese, I found a link to the original fan fiction for 50 shades. It's definitely not my kind of fantasy.
Quote:
If you were mine you wouldn't be able to sit down for a week
That's Edward scolding Bella. It's creepy. It's like wanting your boyfriend to act like your father. Yuck. This can't be the fantasy of most women. That means a better fantasy has potential.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2012, 10:34 AM   #261
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
So I've completed the scene for the group review tonight. 12 people besides myself will be there. I'm going to tell them to be honest, I need to know.

On another note, it's so weird. As I wrote the scene out the ending changed. The emotions that were out of character for my character found a better resolution than I had originally imagined. Earlier I just had the character overriding temptation. In the new ending he finds a different interpretation for his feelings.

I immerse myself into these scenes and they unfold. If only I was better at putting the scenes in my head onto paper.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2012, 04:44 PM   #262
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So I've completed the scene for the group review tonight. 12 people besides myself will be there. I'm going to tell them to be honest, I need to know.

On another note, it's so weird. As I wrote the scene out the ending changed. The emotions that were out of character for my character found a better resolution than I had originally imagined. Earlier I just had the character overriding temptation. In the new ending he finds a different interpretation for his feelings.

I immerse myself into these scenes and they unfold. If only I was better at putting the scenes in my head onto paper.
Sounds like you're doing fine. And I bet people in the group will be honest!
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2012, 11:56 PM   #263
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
It was an excellent experience and group, and I'll be going back. A couple of the people were clearly good at reviewing work and giving feedback. The leader and co-leader were excellent. The feedback was meaningful and skilled.

There were people of all skills there. Some there were writers at my level but I do believe my story was more original and has more potential. Some of the writers were obviously skilled. It has to be a learnable skill. That's my current reality. I have to bring this story to print (or Kindle )

So, the review of my scene was just what I expected, but, not worse. Turning the scene in my head into words on paper is going to take some work. No one said it was awful, the suggestions made sense.

On a separate note, one of the members shared this site, Wordle, that tells you how many times you've repeated any individual word. That'll be helpful after reading the 50 Shades reviews. I don't have the repetition problem yet.

I'll have to see how my story goes from here. I remain encouraged.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th May 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 06:15 AM   #264
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely
 
Sabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,556
I'm currently writing a Sherlock Holmes/Criminal Minds crossover (of sorts; it's hard to explain without giving away the entire plot) fanfiction, with an original female character of my own creation. It's sort of science fiction-ish, in that the plot involves some time travel, and it's set in an alternate universe where Holmes and Watson were real men in history rather than fictional characters. I'm somewhat stalled at the moment in one area, but still have plans to keep writing. I'm hoping that re-watching "A Game of Shadows" once it's released on DVD will help kickstart the creative juices a bit. I just haven't had the time to devote to the writing that I'd like to. It may also contain some erotica; I'm a bit torn on that aspect currently, but I'd like to see if I can write it somewhat realistically into the story.

My problem is that I rarely have original ideas for stories; most of the stories I've started writing were all fanfiction of one sort or another (thus far, Star Trek: TNG, Jonny Quest, Linkin Park, Metalocalypse, and now Sherlock Holmes). My original foray into fanfiction writing was totally Mary-Sueish Star Trek fanfiction, and I've long since shredded that manuscript (thank goodness I never typed it up on the computer), but I like to think my writing has gotten better since then, and since I'm such a stickler for correcting mistakes, I rarely have typos or grammar issues. I actually think that proofreaders aren't doing their jobs as well these days; the number of times I have bought a book only to find some glaringly obvious typo or grammar mistake is growing larger and larger with each subsequent purchase. If I ever did come up with an original idea, I'm not sure I'd want to subject it to professional proofreading without there being a clause that states that before it's published, it comes back to me for final review. I'm hopeful I'd catch any major mistakes in that way.
__________________
"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope."-Winston Churchill
"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do"-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 06:20 AM   #265
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
I'm currently writing a Sherlock Holmes/Criminal Minds crossover (of sorts; it's hard to explain without giving away the entire plot) fanfiction, with an original female character of my own creation. It's sort of science fiction-ish, in that the plot involves some time travel, and it's set in an alternate universe where Holmes and Watson were real men in history rather than fictional characters. I'm somewhat stalled at the moment in one area, but still have plans to keep writing. I'm hoping that re-watching "A Game of Shadows" once it's released on DVD will help kickstart the creative juices a bit. I just haven't had the time to devote to the writing that I'd like to. It may also contain some erotica; I'm a bit torn on that aspect currently, but I'd like to see if I can write it somewhat realistically into the story.

My problem is that I rarely have original ideas for stories; most of the stories I've started writing were all fanfiction of one sort or another (thus far, Star Trek: TNG, Jonny Quest, Linkin Park, Metalocalypse, and now Sherlock Holmes). My original foray into fanfiction writing was totally Mary-Sueish Star Trek fanfiction, and I've long since shredded that manuscript (thank goodness I never typed it up on the computer), but I like to think my writing has gotten better since then, and since I'm such a stickler for correcting mistakes, I rarely have typos or grammar issues. I actually think that proofreaders aren't doing their jobs as well these days; the number of times I have bought a book only to find some glaringly obvious typo or grammar mistake is growing larger and larger with each subsequent purchase. If I ever did come up with an original idea, I'm not sure I'd want to subject it to professional proofreading without there being a clause that states that before it's published, it comes back to me for final review. I'm hopeful I'd catch any major mistakes in that way.
I grew up on Sherlock Holmes - Dad was a big fan - and I've read and enjoyed some fanfic too. Hope you get it worked out & finished - as the discussion above shows, there's definitely room for fanfic in the market...
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 06:30 AM   #266
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely
 
Sabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,556
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
I grew up on Sherlock Holmes - Dad was a big fan - and I've read and enjoyed some fanfic too. Hope you get it worked out & finished - as the discussion above shows, there's definitely room for fanfic in the market...
Well if there weren't, I doubt sites like Fanfiction.net would survive. *LOL*

All joking aside, I love fanfiction; especially well written fanfiction. I'd never publish my own; I tend to write more for the love of writing and so the plot bunnies that keep possessing my brain after seeing various shows, movies, or reading a new series will quiet down and let me function (case in point; I went to see The Raven, and while the movie itself was not the best movie I've ever seen, the PREMISE of the movie (life imitating art, so to speak, albeit in an extremely macabre way) is interesting enough that I'm debating working it into my current project, assuming I get that far in the writing). *chuckles* But I love to read fanfiction regardless.
__________________
"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope."-Winston Churchill
"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do"-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 02:00 PM   #267
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Geese, I found a link to the original fan fiction for 50 shades. It's definitely not my kind of fantasy.That's Edward scolding Bella. It's creepy. It's like wanting your boyfriend to act like your father. Yuck. This can't be the fantasy of most women. That means a better fantasy has potential.
Have you read 'Nine and a Half Weeks'?

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Well if there weren't, I doubt sites like Fanfiction.net would survive. *LOL*

All joking aside, I love fanfiction; especially well written fanfiction. I'd never publish my own; I tend to write more for the love of writing and so the plot bunnies that keep possessing my brain after seeing various shows, movies, or reading a new series will quiet down and let me function (case in point; I went to see The Raven, and while the movie itself was not the best movie I've ever seen, the PREMISE of the movie (life imitating art, so to speak, albeit in an extremely macabre way) is interesting enough that I'm debating working it into my current project, assuming I get that far in the writing). *chuckles* But I love to read fanfiction regardless.
True, there's some excellent FF out there (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality and Longing With a Cherry Tomato On Top come to mind). But there's some absolute dross like My Immortal.
And do not search for Agony in Pink.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2012, 03:20 PM   #268
Squid
Thinker
 
Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 143
I'm writing a book called "A Loom of Nightmares." Been stuck in Act 2 for some time, due to major life issues.
Squid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2012, 04:05 AM   #269
Tomtomkent
Philosopher
 
Tomtomkent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,242
Im going non fiction for a >100 page collection of articles connected to my town. Most are failed podcast submissions if i am honest. Unsure if I should reframe the articles as interviews with "ghosts".

So far it covers:

*Mad Thom, the 1840s aggitator who believed he was an immortal messiah and a medieval knight, called himself Sir Nicholas Courtney (not the one who was the brigadier) and roused an army of peasants against the work house Poor Laws.
* A veteran of the Armada who was pressed into naval service, stole his ship, became a pirate, then raised an entire fleet of marauder vessels. One of the few pirates to die of old age.
* the gunpowder explosion that shattered windows in the next county.
* Robert Heller, the mind reading music teacher.
*possibly Charles 1st, who passed through the town while fleeing the civil war... then again when local fishermen captured him and dragged him ashore.
* the random American gothic colonial house outside the town.
*a brief list of the ghosts who are meant to haunt the town.

If it is too short to publish i will probably post it in another forum instead.
__________________
@tomhodden

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2012, 09:57 AM   #270
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
I've actually got a couple of similar books from different places I've lived; they tend to sell quite well in visitor centers as they are easy reading. And they're fairly short - a couple more stories and you've probably got it. For example, I've got one on the history of Camp San Luis Obispo.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2012, 09:00 PM   #271
Beanbag
Illuminator
 
Beanbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,468
Just to let you know I haven't been neglecting the thread for no good reason. Just got a new camera (professional level) and have been working my way through the 211-page manual (8-1/2x11 pages) figuring out what all the pretty buttons and knobs do.

Beanbag
__________________
Nothing divides an indivisible nation quite as well as religion.

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

If Jesus is the answer, it must be a real dumb question.
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2012, 10:08 PM   #272
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere
 
gumboot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,327
I too have been absent because I am too busy. If the 4am starts for Spartacus were not enough, I am also rehearsing a play (The Merchant of Venice) which opens this upcoming Tuesday. Once that's over I plan to dedicate most of my spare time to completing the edit of my book.
__________________

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.


A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:24 AM   #273
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
That review is pretty funny! I have to admit, I pay more attention to actual, written reviews than ratings. Ratings don't mean much; there are some good discussions about both of them over on LinkedIn and Goodreads. With a written review, you can get a feel for whether or not the review author is apt to reflect what you care about in a book and choose books based on that (sometimes a bad review by a bad reviewer makes me actually want to read the book!).

Now I have to go back through my stuff and look for rolling eyes, quirking lips (don't think I have any of those), and raising eyebrows (I know I've got a couple of those). Excuse me...
At the writer's group someone mentioned this site, http://www.wordle.net/ , as a place you can diagram your word use. There is a way to see the words you use as bubbles with the more you use the word, the larger the bubble. Sounded fun anyway.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:29 AM   #274
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Since we've been discussing publishing and how free fan fic turned into a book with a pre-established readership, does anyone have an opinion on Booksie? Or other sites for publishing one's work for free online access besides the fan fic sites?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd June 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2012, 02:11 PM   #275
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Since we've been discussing publishing and how free fan fic turned into a book with a pre-established readership, does anyone have an opinion on Booksie? Or other sites for publishing one's work for free online access besides the fan fic sites?
A couple of friends of mine use Smashwords, it has free and pay options for distribution; one also uses Blogspot though that's mainly for updates, news and short stories.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:25 PM   #276
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Thanks, Cats. I've been skimming around on Booksie and I don't like the search engine much. And there was no real category for my story. SciFi is just too broad of a category. It was hard to find good stories that would be rising to the top, seemed a bit too random, and there were just dozens and dozens of cliche story lines. I'll take a look at the other sites.


BTW, Tiktaalik, your story line looks more and more original the more sampling I do of wannabe writers like myself.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd June 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2012, 04:29 PM   #277
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson
 
Tiktaalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,666
Just finished the first go-'round of edits on Book Two. Hopefully there's not much more to be done; this session was more painful than the first. Deadline is July 10th to the publisher.

One of the problems with editing is that I don't feel like I can write anything else so's not to distract myself from the current project. So now maybe I can move on - either with another round of Book Three or something NEW!
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2012, 11:49 PM   #278
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,866
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Just finished the first go-'round of edits on Book Two. Hopefully there's not much more to be done; this session was more painful than the first. Deadline is July 10th to the publisher.

One of the problems with editing is that I don't feel like I can write anything else so's not to distract myself from the current project. So now maybe I can move on - either with another round of Book Three or something NEW!
It's nice to hear about real progress. I'm on the third re-write of the opening to my story. I've learned an incredible amount and the revisions improve by leap-steps each time, but this chapter is the most important and I don't have it yet.

I can see the protag's personality change as I write and it's reaching the tone I am going for. But the opening I wanted didn't have enough information. The next one had more 'place' but not enough hook. I'm struggling with which scene to open with and how to bring in the backstory if I start with the critical event, or how to create tension if I start with more character.

I am in awe of people who are clearly out of my league when I read what other people write. I don't think I'll ever get to that place. But I'm not discouraged by any means. I'm still in love with my story. I just need to convey it exactly right and that means a lot of hard work.

I'm writing every day and now going to 2 spec. fiction meet-up groups every 2 weeks. I never heard the term, speculative fiction, until a couple weeks ago. That's how unfamiliar I am with the writing field.


On another note, if anyone has any ideas for me: I've got a character that will need to grow and a situation that is just as critical. Both are key to the story. The fellow writers I'm meeting with and the books on writing I'm using for reference are saying I need to show where the character needs to go, and/or what her problem is that needs to be resolved. I can do that. But at the same time I have a parallel problem facing society that is just as critical to the story. How do I mesh these in the opening of the story?

I am looking for generalities here, not something specific to the story components. Do any of you understand what I am getting at and do any of you have any suggestions for the opening information needed to be said in such a double faceted plot?

The first book deals with human nature and related social problems/interactions in one society and the second book deals with the same issues in a different setting/different society with a different but somewhat parallel protagonist.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2012, 01:14 AM   #279
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere
 
gumboot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,327
I just wanted to drop in to say I really love those moments when you can feel your work taking shape and improving.

For the last year or two I have been wrestling with some major structural issues in my book series, and while I thought I had solved them earlier this year, I hadn't really been convinced they would actually be good; rather I felt they were a solution to a problem.

I've been working a bit on structural stuff again lately however, particularly with regard to the second volume, and I am actually excited about the story and its structure again, and really feel like the new structure not only solves a problem, but is vastly better than it ever had been.

I love these moments.
__________________

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.


A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2012, 01:58 AM   #280
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.
 
Quinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,309
I just noticed this thread. Coincidentally, I noticed it the day after a potentially interesting development...

Eventually someone is going to have to write a biography of legendary New Orleans pianist James Booker (pictured in "create your own South Park character" form in my avatar). There is a greater-than-zero chance that that person will be me. That in itself is not news, and has been the case for over ten years now. What is news is that lately there has been renewed interest in such a book actually coming to fruition, and there's a possibility of things starting to move forward.

There are only a handful of people who could realistically write such a book, and we all know each other and, for the most part, are friends. (The Booker freaks tend to stick together.) The thing is, none of us wants to be the one to actually write it. He led a crazy life with crazy friends in a crazy city, and trying to unearth accurate information about him is a long and twisted journey down a vast network of improbably deep rabbit holes. All of us who have researched him and tried to get inside his head and life have found it to be a frustrating and exhausting process with a conspicuous tendency to take over one's entire life.

So over the past couple days, several of us in that group have been talking to each other. And the overwhelming sentiment is, "I don't wanna do it, you do it!" Eventually one of us going to cave and say okay. I don't think I'm terribly likely to be the one who does, but I can't rule out the possibility entirely. To be fair, there definitely are things about the prospect that are highly appealing; they're just significantly outweighed by all the things that make me absolutely shudder.

So at any rate, if I never post in this thread again, you may assume that I successfully pawned the task off onto someone else. If, on the other hand, I end up being the one who gets suckered into it, I will definitely be revisiting this space.
__________________
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.

Last edited by Quinn; 5th July 2012 at 02:06 AM.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.