ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags John Hutchison

Old 8th April 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
BravesFan
Banned

The Hutchison Effect

The Hutchison Effect , what ever came of that?

I just stumbled upon this old favorite footage in YouTube yesterday, and even when I saw it in the early '90's on some woo show, I thought it was special effects. My question is, What ever came of it?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I did a little googling but didn't find much but a statement that it had never been replicated (duh). But has anyone figured out exactly how he did it? Has anyone created a debunking video of it? Anyone ever come up with som good insider info of him admitting he faked it?

By no means take this to mean I think what he did was genuine, his lack of ability to replicate it himself means that it's 99.999% phoney probably. But I haven't seen any information of what happened to him or his "effect" after that.

edit: found his website (apparently earlier I spelled his name wrong) http://www.hutchisoneffect.ca/

It just spreads more of his usual woo. I'm actually surprised a search here didn't locate a dedicated thread to him

Last edited by BravesFan; 8th April 2012 at 11:03 PM.
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 11:28 PM   #2
davefoc
Philosopher

I took a look.

I was an electrical engineer but not one particularly well versed in physics, but it looked to me like he was just messing with large magnetic fields and electro-magnetic waves and maybe large currents.

He hits a lot of hot buttons for the physics nutter set, Tesla, Bermuda Triangle, Atlanta, Wardenclyffe, etc.

If he had had just one claim and provided some more details about it I'd have been a lot more into trying to figure out what the guy was claiming and what he was doing, as it is my sense of it is that the fifteen minutes or so that I spent looking at this was not fifteen minutes well spent.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 11:30 PM   #3
BravesFan
Banned

A lot of us probably between say 30-40 probably remember his videos showing up on some TV shows in the 80's and early 90's. I had never thought of it again until I came across his videos on the internet. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are.
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LogicFail View Post
A lot of us probably between say 30-40 probably remember his videos showing up on some TV shows in the 80's and early 90's. I had never thought of it again until I came across his videos on the internet. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are.
I can relate, and I hope somebody that knows more than me about this has something interesting to say, but right now it looks to me like a guy built some interesting electrical gadgets that he felt operated in a way that produced something unknown to modern science. I think he was probably wrong about that and I'm not interested enough in this to do any banging around on the internet to test my suspicions but I'll expend the effort to read what somebody else has to say about it.

davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 12:23 AM   #5
BravesFan
Banned

LOL, I suspect that he got a piece of metal to fly around and then started fabricating other stuff. I see no reason a magnetic field would make latex paint or a soda defy gravity.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:41 AM   #6
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LogicFail View Post
LOL, I suspect that he got a piece of metal to fly around and then started fabricating other stuff. I see no reason a magnetic field would make latex paint or a soda defy gravity.
Very large magnetic fields can levitate even materials known as non-magnetic:
http://youtu.be/A1vyB-O5i6E

In addition, it is possible to induce currents in non-magnetic metals and thereby create magnetic fields that can be used to repel a non-magnetic metal object.

Lots of weird stuff is possible when very large currents and magnetic fields are out and about.

Old 9th April 2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

I doubt if hutchison had an electromagnet strong enough to levitate a frog; those are specially built 'bitter solenoids' that draw hundreds of thousands of amperes and need very agressive cooling to keep them from instantly melting and/or exploding. I think more likely hutchison did his videos the same way a magician would; sleight of hand, strings, camera tricks, etc.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 08:06 AM   #8
phunk
Master Poster

He did a lot of tricks with an upside down camera. Down looks like up, and things that appear to levitate are just being dropped.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
davefoc
Philosopher

For the record, I didn't mean to rule out trickery as to what is going on here. I just didn't see enough substance any place to think that pursuing this was likely to justify the effort.

Old 9th April 2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker

The flying stuff indeed looks like upside-down table with magnets. Then there is plenty of vibration stuff. It might have looked funky, before infestation of vibration mode cell phones. Now everyone knows how can vibrating things move. What IS strange is the bending pipe. It just looks like noodle. Well I guess it simply is just soft like noodle, since there is no demonstration that it is not .. we are just lead to believe it is solid tube bending .. still I don't know such material.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 11:45 AM   #11
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There's a video out there where you can see the strings.

http://www.skywise711.com/Skeptic/Hu...hutchison.html

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 12:14 PM   #12
alexi_drago
Muse

Obviously he's a witch.

http://www.hutchisoneffect.ca/Videos/BroomLevitate.swf

EDIT: lol, just found the title of a video (of unknown filetype so I'm not downloading) on his website titled 'Other invisible samples never before publicly seen.'

And more, looking around his website:

Quote:
This is a topic that is very conducive to wandering because it brings in all of the most amazing kinds of effects that one would love to have in their basement, such as material levitating and floating around, being able to break steel bars without the use of your bare hands, and all sorts of other weird and wonderful things.
underlining mine.

He must be quite strong, even without the help of his hutchison effect machines.

Last edited by alexi_drago; 9th April 2012 at 12:32 PM.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology