ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:55 PM   #81
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The gospels tells you to not use money, the tool of evil, you can't have two masters God and money,
This is a flat-out lie. YOUR OWN QUOTE HAS JESUS TELLING US TO INVEST MONEY. I capitalized that so that you can't miss it. Either the Bible is lying, or Gaetan is.

As I said in your Money thread, you don't believe the Bible or God is the ultimate being. You believe Gaetan is, and twist everything else to where you are right, no matter what the Bible says.

Quote:
That's exactly why this man was rebuke, because he didn't give the money to the poor,
Right--a master that would have his slaves beat for not getting at least a 50% return on investment will be THRILLED to have the slave give the money away. Your reading comprehension is as low as your understanding of economics.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:03 PM   #82
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Because the man obviously didn't know how to make use of the money, he was prudent, was afraid to lose it, he hid the money. The bank would have put the money back in the economy, create job for him. Nowon we must have laws so that money is use to create jobs, so that banks or others investment office, markets, create jobs with money, have the money circulate.
Then you'll be happy to learn that that is how our economy works. Was there anything else I could help you with?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:19 PM   #83
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

When you use something stupid like money, you must have laws, guards to make sure nobody gets hurt with it, for exemple, cause starvation. Jesus Christ told you in what should consist these laws, to have the money circulate and not be kept in a safe box or useless investment not producing job. That's what this story says.
Just letting you know, No one named Jesus Christ has ever told me anything - - though I have heard some commentaries involving "H. F.Jesus Christ", "M.F. Jesus Christ", "G.D. Jesus Christ on a Crutch" (or, maybe a Crotch - it was loud but not completely clear) and, several times, "H. M. F. Jesus Christ on a M.F. plane". None were in situations that clearly invoved basic economic policies though.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:51 PM   #84
Gaetan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
This is a flat-out lie. YOUR OWN QUOTE HAS JESUS TELLING US TO INVEST MONEY. I capitalized that so that you can't miss it. Either the Bible is lying, or Gaetan is.

As I said in your Money thread, you don't believe the Bible or God is the ultimate being. You believe Gaetan is, and twist everything else to where you are right, no matter what the Bible says.

Right--a master that would have his slaves beat for not getting at least a 50% return on investment will be THRILLED to have the slave give the money away. Your reading comprehension is as low as your understanding of economics.
The more i waste time to read you, the more you have gone on bad faith, no time to waste to answer your stupidities.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:08 PM   #85
the PC apeman
Muse

The more i waste time to read you, the more you have gone on bad faith, no time to waste to answer your stupidities.
ROFL! That's what I've been saying about your club's handbook.
the PC apeman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:06 PM   #86
Joecool
Graduate Poster

The gospels tells you to not use money, the tool of evil, you can't have two masters God and money, but if you use money you must redistribute it to make it useless, that's what that story says. What would happen if rich, afraid to lose their money, would keep it in a safety box in a bank. Money must circulate freely, if it doesn't, people can't eat and live appropriately. Government must make laws to make sure there is redistribution and it is better to be done by job creation as it create value and wealth.
Mark 12:17
New International Version (NIV)
17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”

And they were amazed at him.

What Jesus is saying is that money is an earthly entity. Thus we use money for trade, taxes and other things on earth. But you give to God what belongs to God. Such as devotion, worship and praise. The Bible mentions money quite frequently. Judas, the disciple, was the groups treasurer, which means they had money.

Gaetan is mistaken and using scripture out of context.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:58 PM   #87
Gaetan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Mark 12:17
New International Version (NIV)
17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”

And they were amazed at him.

What Jesus is saying is that money is an earthly entity. Thus we use money for trade, taxes and other things on earth. But you give to God what belongs to God. Such as devotion, worship and praise. The Bible mentions money quite frequently. Judas, the disciple, was the groups treasurer, which means they had money.

Gaetan is mistaken and using scripture out of context.

It is not me or Jesus Christ who want to use money, it is rich people like you, so government got to have laws or guards to protect people from you, to keep money moving from rich to poor, you should have it circulate and create jobs with it, and what the parable says is that if you don't know how to do it you should give your money to someone who knows.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:07 PM   #88
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

You see me as your enemy but i just try to save your live because you won't last very long in hell.
The "live" has already been lost.
And Hell is forever.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:20 PM   #89
Tricky
Briefly immortal

It is not me or Jesus Christ who want to use money, it is rich people like you, so government got to have laws or guards to protect people from you, to keep money moving from rich to poor, you should have it circulate and create jobs with it, and what the parable says is that if you don't know how to do it you should give your money to someone who knows.
So Jesus preaches that you should steal money from people who have earned it through their labors, if they don't do what he wants them to do with it? Boy, Jesus is a real jerk.

And what makes you think Joecool is rich?
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:23 PM   #90
Joecool
Graduate Poster

You are badly misguided and do not understand the Bible. Jesus recognized that money is an earthly entity. Thus he tells his followers to use money. He does advise people to give to the poor. But money is nowhere made to be evil. The love of money can have roots in evil, but not money itself. But nowhere does it say money must move from rich to poor. Jesus said that God provides for the birds and animals, thus he will provide for people. Money is just a tool, not more or less than any other tools. He does advise people to steward their money as well. There is nothing to indicate that Jesus was against people having money.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:41 PM   #91
Gaetan
Graduate Poster

You are badly misguided and do not understand the Bible. Jesus recognized that money is an earthly entity. Thus he tells his followers to use money. He does advise people to give to the poor. But money is nowhere made to be evil. The love of money can have roots in evil, but not money itself. But nowhere does it say money must move from rich to poor. Jesus said that God provides for the birds and animals, thus he will provide for people. Money is just a tool, not more or less than any other tools. He does advise people to steward their money as well. There is nothing to indicate that Jesus was against people having money.

Rediculous, just to say that if i would answer every stupid post like that i wouldn't have enough of 24 hours a day with of course no sleep.
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:50 PM   #92
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Rediculous, just to say that if i would answer every stupid post like that i wouldn't have enough of 24 hours a day with of course no sleep.
On the contrary I think Joecool has offered a pretty balanced summary of Jesus and his teachings in the Bible regarding money.
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:54 PM   #93
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

"Render unto Caesar...etc".. That's a quote...
And god provides for the birds but he doesn't throw the food into the nest.
They have to work for it.
No workee, no eatee.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 06:57 AM   #94
Gaetan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
On the contrary I think Joecool has offered a pretty balanced summary of Jesus and his teachings in the Bible regarding money.
All this was disinformation of the teaching of Jesus Christ:

Quote:
You are badly misguided and do not understand the Bible. Jesus recognized that money is an earthly entity. Thus he tells his followers to use money.
Where is that, Jesus said that you can't have to master God and money, that means that if you use money you are not of God

Quote:
He does advise people to give to the poor. But money is nowhere made to be evil. The love of money can have roots in evil, but not money itself. But nowhere does it say money must move from rich to poor.
Many times Jesus said that rich must share their money with poor, this is a good exemple of his disinformation and bad faith.

Quote:
Jesus said that God provides for the birds and animals, thus he will provide for people. Money is just a tool, not more or less than any other tools. He does advise people to steward their money as well. There is nothing to indicate that Jesus was against people having money.
Jesus was a lot against people having money because he blame them all the time to not share with poor and he advise them they'll be hungry and do not have consolation, and the parable of rich and Lasare specifies that rich goes to hell, maybe you don't believe him but that's what is going to happen to you if you are rich:

Luke 6, ESV

Jesus Pronounces Woes
24 “But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.

25 “Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:13 AM   #95
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

As I've said before, Gaetan wants us all to wallow in filth, disease, misery, and death, because of his religion. He wants us to revert to barbarism, and will twist anything to make it sound like he doesn't.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 07:20 AM   #96
Belz...
Fiend God

When you use something stupid like money, you must have laws, guards to make sure nobody gets hurt with it, for exemple, cause starvation. Jesus Christ told you in what should consist these laws, to have the money circulate and not be kept in a safe box or useless investment not producing job. That's what this story says.
You have no idea what the bible says, what history teaches us, what money is, what laws are.

Why should we bother listening to you, ever ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 07:21 AM   #97
Belz...
Fiend God

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 08:03 AM   #98
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Where is that, Jesus said that you can't have to master God and money, that means that if you use money you are not of God
LOL, right here:

Quote:
Many times Jesus said that rich must share their money with poor, this is a good exemple of his disinformation and bad faith.
Quote:
Jesus was a lot against people having money because he blame them all the time to not share with poor and he advise them they'll be hungry and do not have consolation, and the parable of rich and Lasare specifies that rich goes to hell, maybe you don't believe him but that's what is going to happen to you if you are rich:

Luke 6, ESV

Jesus Pronounces Woes

Are you going to start a thread saying we should abolish food?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 10:21 AM   #99
Joecool
Graduate Poster

All this was disinformation of the teaching of Jesus Christ:

Gaetan, do you have money or have you given all of it to the poor? If you haven't given all your money away, does that mean you are of bad faith and not following what Jesus taught?

When Jesus said that you cannot serve God and money, he meant that you should not be obsessed with money, making money or accumulation of money the focus of your life. You should be focused on doing God's work. Money still has it's place on earth and in society.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:37 AM   #100
Baloney
Muse

Gaetan, do you have money or have you given all of it to the poor? If you haven't given all your money away, does that mean you are of bad faith and not following what Jesus taught?
It would not only mean he is of bad faith, but also a hypocrite for telling us to do what he does not.

Gaetan, if you would like the addresses of some charities to send all of your filthy money, please let me know.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:46 PM   #101
Gaetan
Graduate Poster

Either we abolish money or we keep it and make sure people have enough to live properly. The fisrt option is my option.
Old 24th May 2012, 01:38 PM   #102
Baloney
Muse

Either we abolish money or we keep it and make sure people have enough to live properly. The fisrt option is my option.
Sweet! No more money! No, how will you pay the doctor for his services?
Old 24th May 2012, 02:26 PM   #103
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Baloney View Post
By making a cabinet for him. And thus barter economy starts and it inevitably goes from there to a money economy.

Of course, in Gaetan's worldview, the carpenter is the doctor.
Old 24th May 2012, 02:46 PM   #104
Gaetan
Graduate Poster

The service of the doctor is free, food is free, natural ressources are free, your work is free, others goods and services are free, no money, no barter.
Old 24th May 2012, 02:48 PM   #105
AdMan
Philosopher

The service of the doctor is free, food is free, natural ressources are free, your work is free, others goods and services are free, no money, no barter.

Yawn. Your fantasy is tiresome.
Old 24th May 2012, 02:50 PM   #106
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Free is worth what you paid for it.
Just like all the advice one sees on the Internet.
Old 24th May 2012, 03:25 PM   #107
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Well old Joe over there just wants to drink beer and smoke dope so he likes this.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 03:36 PM   #108
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Gaetan;8313972]All this was disinformation of the teaching of Jesus Christ:

Where is that, Jesus said that you can't have to master God and money, that means that if you use money you are not of God [/quote[Jesus said we should not let money rule us. He did not say we should have none. It's very real. You are not thinking well here.
Quote:

Once again you confuse the worst example with all examples. Jesus, it would appear, did not want people to be rich and careless. He may, if a practical sort, have realized that this does not mean that everyone must be poor. If one does away with all money, all its advantage is lost too.
Quote:

Luke 6, ESV

Jesus Pronounces Woes

lkWhat we don't know and can only guess here is where Jesus draws the line between the truly rich and those who earn a good living, something he's on the record as having supported.

edit to add: too disabled and sick to do much research here yet, so you're on your own for bible references, but I might point out the passage, wherever it is, in which a disciple castigates a woman for wasting expensive lotion onb Jesus when it could have been sold for the benefit of the poor. The upshot is that the poor will always be with us, but the value of the commodity requires at least occasionally that it be used, and there is no better use than anointing the lord. Hmmm.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Last edited by bruto; 24th May 2012 at 03:46 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 04:32 PM   #109
Joecool
Graduate Poster

And what will you do if people decide they don't want to work at all? What if I want to play golf for a living while you clean my toilets and prepare my dinner?

What will you do about vandalism and rapists who commit non monetary crimes?

What if I grow apples and give them all away? If I live in the US, those guys starving in Africa will still be starving even if I give my apples away for "free".
Old 24th May 2012, 04:46 PM   #110
the PC apeman
Muse

It's been tried, several times, several places. Never seems to work. But there always seems to be another dreamer or crackpot who claims to know how to make it work. This time. Just like all the other times.
the PC apeman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 07:02 PM   #111
Joecool
Graduate Poster

So let's say everything is free in your mystical world. I raise cattle and water and I allow my neighbors and others to take livestock for food. In return, my neighbors give me chickens and some others give me lettuce and other vegetables. One guy gives me a TV and another guys fixes my car.

How do those starving people in Africa get any of this "free" stuff?
Old 24th May 2012, 08:47 PM   #112
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

In the UK we don't pay the doctor. We pay the tax collector. That way we don't get bankrupted if we require protracted treatment.

But I take your point, because the taxes are paid in money.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 06:19 AM   #113
Gaetan
Graduate Poster

What i said is that if we got to use your money system, we got to have laws, for exemple, the recent entrance in market of facebook, i can say without making mistake that these people, if we exclude a few fellows, have probably stolen more money than all the people who have been in prison in the entire world since six thousand years. All rich got to do is to buy medias, manipulate people , have the right people elected, and the are in business, no laws. That why your system don't work and lead the humanity in misery and hell.
Old 25th May 2012, 07:12 AM   #114
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

What i said is that if we got to use your money system, we got to have laws, for exemple, the recent entrance in market of facebook, i can say without making mistake that these people, if we exclude a few fellows, have probably stolen more money than all the people who have been in prison in the entire world since six thousand years. All rich got to do is to buy medias, manipulate people , have the right people elected, and the are in business, no laws. That why your system don't work and lead the humanity in misery and hell.
Who "these people"? Which "few fellows"? Why only 6,000 years? You don't have to be rich to manipulate people. What do you mean "no laws"?

You do know that there is an investigation into the IPO?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 07:25 AM   #115
Belz...
Fiend God

Either we abolish money or we keep it and make sure people have enough to live properly.
Right. And since we'Ve already demonstrated that the first is impossible, and we know the second works... you still opt for the first option ? That makes no sense and is not the mark of a reasonable person.

Old 25th May 2012, 07:26 AM   #116
Belz...
Fiend God

1. If you work, it's not free.
2. No one is going to work at all under this system.

Old 25th May 2012, 07:27 AM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

What in the blue hell are you talking about ?

Old 25th May 2012, 07:30 AM   #118
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by the PC apeman View Post
It's been tried, several times, several places. Never seems to work. But there always seems to be another dreamer or crackpot who claims to know how to make it work. This time. Just like all the other times.
But it can work - If you watch the 40th anniversary of Woodstock documentary you will introduced to two groups that are still successful to this day.

Yes the vast majority of these social experiments fail - but some do make it
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 07:49 AM   #119
Baloney
Muse

Ask any Cuban emigre how well this system works.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:41 AM   #120
the PC apeman
Muse

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
But it can work - If you watch the 40th anniversary of Woodstock documentary you will introduced to two groups that are still successful to this day.

Yes the vast majority of these social experiments fail - but some do make it
I'll check it out. Thanks.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy