IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: "Twenty-Twelve" or "Two Thousand-Twelve"?
Twenty-Twelve 49 62.03%
Two Thousand-Twelve 20 25.32%
On Planet X, we still party like its Nineteen Ninety-Nine. 10 12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th May 2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

The Year 2012: Do You Say "Twenty-Twelve" or "Two Thousand-Twelve"

Which is it? I say "Twenty-Twelve" mostly because it sounds better, more consistent with the past and less tedious over the long term. I think the custom of saying "Two-thousand..." is a hold over from the 20th century when there was a lot of buzz and novelty about the year "Two-thousand".

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 02:38 PM   #2
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Which is it? I say "Twenty-Twelve" mostly because it sounds better, more consistent with the past and less tedious over the long term. I think the custom of saying "Two-thousand..." is a hold over from the 20th century when there was a lot of buzz and novelty about the year "Two-thousand".

Not so much "buzz and novelty" but rather how would you call the year 2000 if not "two thousand"? Twenty hundred sounds really weird, at least to me, though I suppose it's still acceptable.

For 2012, however, I'd go with twenty-twelve.

Last edited by AdMan; 25th May 2012 at 02:41 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

I go by what Zager & Evans would say.
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Nowhere Man
Critical Thinker

"Twenty-twelve." For me 2000 through 2009 were "two thousand" through "two-thousand nine" because I think "twenty-oh-nine" sounds silly (besides the fact that "oh" is a letter and not a digit). Dunno what I'd have done between 1900-1909.

Fred
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
Dunno what I'd have done between 1900-1909.
Back in ought nine you'd probably have said ought nine like everyone else (at least in the US.)

I say two thousand twelve because, you know, that's what that number is. I never said, "one thousand nine hundred eighty three," to mark the year though, so I'm definitely not going to argue with the 20-12'ers. I'm also one of those crazy people who tends to say 'zero' rather than 'oh' for the numeral 0 though, so I can't be trusted.

Last edited by jasonpatterson; 25th May 2012 at 04:52 PM.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 05:10 PM   #6
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Two thousand AND twelve.

Or twenty- twelve.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 06:25 PM   #7
learner
Graduate Poster

Two thousand and twelve for me.
Old 25th May 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Two-Zero-One-Two

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Morrigan
Crone of War

I say deux mille douze.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 01:23 AM   #10
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Two Oh One Dos
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 01:31 AM   #11
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by learner View Post
Two thousand and twelve for me.
Same here.

Twenty-twelve just sounds so lazy and wrong.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 01:50 AM   #12
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

totey ought uniday
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 04:57 AM   #13
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
Two thousand AND twelve.
That reads to me like 2000.12. AND in a number denotes decimal/fraction.

I know that the name of a year isn't just a number in the mathematical sense, so I'm not so strict about it, but some things I learned in 4th grade have stuck very well. If you were to say that 843 people at your birthday party as eight hundred and forty-three, I'd say absolutely wrong.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2012, 11:27 AM   #14
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
But you would never say 'twelve' as part of a decimal.

Quote:
I know that the name of a year isn't just a number in the mathematical sense, so I'm not so strict about it, but some things I learned in 4th grade have stuck very well. If you were to say that 843 people at your birthday party as eight hundred and forty-three, I'd say absolutely wrong.
Just one of those differences between English and American; 'and' after 'hundred' is the standard way to say numbers in the UK (and Australia, from the foregoing comments).

For the year, I'd say either "twenty twelve" or "two thousand and twelve"; for the years 2000-2009, I'd only say "two thousand (and X)". You can't just say "Twenty Eight", for example, because it's ambiguous, and "Twenty Oh Eight" is a bit clumsy. Not sure why, though; for 1908 I'd say "Nineteen Oh Eight".
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 26th May 2012 at 11:30 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 07:07 AM   #15
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I say MMXII.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 07:21 AM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I say 2012.
Old 27th May 2012, 07:28 AM   #17
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Only in modern American English, unless the Gettysburg address was given 80.7 years after the American revolution, or the King James bible claims the natural life span of man is 80.1 years. And who the hell would bake 4.2 blackbirds in a pie? :P
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 07:30 AM   #18
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Same here.

Twenty-twelve just sounds so lazy and wrong.
How do you say 1912?
Old 27th May 2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Up until 2010, I said "two thousand one," "two thousand two," etc., because "twenty oh one" just sounded awkward. But once we got to 2010, I started saying "twenty ten," etc.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

I chose two-thousand-twelve because of the three choices that is the one I use the most.

Usually, though, I excise the "two-thousand" entirely and just say "oh-twelve". This gets odd looks from people sometimes, and derision from my wife, but there is clearly an '0' right before the '12'.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Saule
Scholar

Two millennia and twelve
Saule is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 10:37 AM   #22
Mercurial Artism

2.012 x 10^3

Quote:
Just one of those differences between English and American; 'and' after 'hundred' is the standard way to say numbers in the UK (and Australia, from the foregoing comments).

For the year, I'd say either "twenty twelve" or "two thousand and twelve"; for the years 2000-2009, I'd only say "two thousand (and X)". You can't just say "Twenty Eight", for example, because it's ambiguous, and "Twenty Oh Eight" is a bit clumsy. Not sure why, though; for 1908 I'd say "Nineteen Oh Eight".
That's funny. I've lived my whole life in the U.S., and I typically say "two-thousand-and-twelve" whether referring to the year or the quantity. All my rent checks have "X hundred and Y dollars" written on them.
Mercurial Artism is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mercurial Artism View Post
2.012 x 10^3

All my rent checks have "X hundred and Y dollars" written on them.
I'll bet your bank are getting tired of that.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 03:20 PM   #24
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

The Swedish equivalents are just about as long, actually, "two thousand twelve" is one syllable shorter, and a lot of the consonants are swallowed.

So that carries over, and I say two thousand twelve, the few times I say it.

Also, we never shorten e.g. 1950 to "nineteen fifty", we always say "nineteen hundred and fifty". Likewise we always say "twenty hundred and twelve", never "twenty twelve", which is why it's longer than "two thousand twelve".

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 27th May 2012 at 03:21 PM.
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2012, 04:21 PM   #25
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

I'm trying to say "twelve". Last century I only used the last two digits, so I don't see why that should change.
Old 28th May 2012, 01:36 AM   #26
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I've been used to saying "twenty-one twelve" since 1976, so "twenty-twelve" comes quite naturally.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 07:11 AM   #27
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

If I say "two-thousand-and-twelve" when trying to type the date, I inevitably add an extra zero*, to get 20012...so I say Twenty-Twelve to avoid this problem.

*Because two thousand has lots of zeros, right? My fingers get ahead of my brain, then have to back up a step.
Old 28th May 2012, 07:28 AM   #28
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

二零一二年
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 07:36 AM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The "and" thing is a weird one. I would never say "two thousand twelve". It would always be "two thousand and twelve". It wouldn't be right otherwise.

But every time I've examined it, I've never found any real good reason why.

41: Forty one
401: Four hundred and one
4,401: Four thousand, four hundred and one.
4,441,401: Four million, four hundred and forty one thousand, four hundred and one.

It's so right, but it just doesn't make sense. There's no consistency!
Old 28th May 2012, 09:52 AM   #30
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The "and" thing is a weird one. I would never say "two thousand twelve". It would always be "two thousand and twelve". It wouldn't be right otherwise.

But every time I've examined it, I've never found any real good reason why.

41: Forty one
401: Four hundred and one
4,401: Four thousand, four hundred and one.
4,441,401: Four million, four hundred and forty one thousand, four hundred and one.

It's so right, but it just doesn't make sense. There's no consistency!
You're 99% of the way there. Just change your mind. Right now. It makes sense to say four hundred one, four million four hundred forty-one thousand four hundred one (no commas), etc.

Do it! You'll like it!
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 10:02 AM   #31
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Only in modern American English, unless the Gettysburg address was given 80.7 years after the American revolution, or the King James bible claims the natural life span of man is 80.1 years. And who the hell would bake 4.2 blackbirds in a pie? :P
Excellent point. What, really, is the and doing here, both for my 4th grade teacher and for Abraham Lincoln? It's the verbal plus sign. It's saying add them together. And so four score + seven really is 87 and four + twenty really is 24, but then that's more poetical, and I'm all in favor. But in more straightforward language, I'm pretty much going to use the verbal addition for verbalized fractions only, and string together an integer without and.

Last edited by hgc; 28th May 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 28th May 2012, 02:28 PM   #32
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator

Old 28th May 2012, 03:10 PM   #33
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
How do you say 1912?
Aw, crap.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2012, 06:04 PM   #34
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

How do you say 1200?

One thousand two hundred?
Twelve hundred?
Old 28th May 2012, 06:47 PM   #35
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

I say it both ways, no rhyme or reason.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:22 AM   #36
Multivac
Master Poster

Two thousand and twelve. The and is important.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2012, 02:11 AM   #37
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Excellent point. What, really, is the and doing here, both for my 4th grade teacher and for Abraham Lincoln? It's the verbal plus sign. It's saying add them together. And so four score + seven really is 87 and four + twenty really is 24, but then that's more poetical, and I'm all in favor. But in more straightforward language, I'm pretty much going to use the verbal addition for verbalized fractions only, and string together an integer without and.
I think that both with and without the and work fine, and make sense, however in my futile search across the internets to try and find when "and" became a marker for UK/ US English I did find a lot of people who vehemently held that using and was a crime against logic and English, which seems a bizarre position to take but them people do often take bizarre positions on matters of usage.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:12 PM   #38
GreyArea
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Which is it?
I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.

Tradition is a murky and dangerous bog.
GreyArea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2012, 02:50 PM   #39
MostlyHarmless
Thinker

Originally Posted by IMST View Post
I'm trying to say "twelve". Last century I only used the last two digits, so I don't see why that should change.
I was thinking about this my self. I can't really understand why just saying "twelve" sounds wrong. Most years do have at least two words. I use "oh-eight" and "ninety four". "Ten" just sounds wrong like "twelve" or just "nine", but I had no problem with "sixty" or "ninety". I obviously have a prejudice, but I can't explain it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts