ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th June 2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Pjane
New Blood

Smile Neuro Linguistic Programming

Hey,

What do you all think of NLP? Is it real? Is it helpful? Or Is it a scam? Or Is it a scam which will help us?

Please share you views. If possible share some sources also.

Thank you!
Pjane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 06:08 AM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

I think it is a kind of guru-led pseudo-scientific fad.

None of the terms that make up the name seem to be relevant at all. But it sounds good (or at least sciency) yet it isn't.
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Someclevernick
Scholar

To my understanding, parts of NLP which are working are just using common sense and rest is more or les woo.

surely you can influence people by using language, but there is nothing mystical in it like the marketers of NLP seem to claim.

But that is just my opinion and i am not an expert in this kind of things.
Someclevernick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 06:36 AM   #4
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Work how? As a party trick maybe.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pjane View Post
Hey,

What do you all think of NLP? Is it real? Is it helpful? Or Is it a scam? Or Is it a scam which will help us?

Please share you views. If possible share some sources also.

Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum!

Looks like trash to me, where is their research base?

Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 06:59 AM   #6
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It shouldn't be a surprise that verbal input can move you. Your favorite song is a nice example. The problem comes in when you want a specific result. Even there, you already know how advertizing influences buying decisions. There aren't any miracles here, but to deny any effect at all is silly.

Really old school NLP: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Newer school: "Hope and change"; "Death tax" for inheritance tax; "climate change" for global warming... and on and on.

There's even an accepted form of NLP called cognitive therapy, part of which uses scripting to help alter beliefs.

All that said, I agree that the field has been taken into the house of woo.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Careyp74
Illuminator

I would file it under pseudo-science.

Basically, you have therapy, which seems to work somehow sometimes, and an attempt at figuring out why. The methods used were not scientific, rather, a "hey what if it was this" which then didn't go beyond that question, but rather say "yes it must be this, let's compile a whole theory as to why it works, without being able to test it."
Careyp74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Please share you views
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=199526

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=141756
Old 14th June 2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Someclevernick
Scholar

Originally Posted by crimresearch View Post
Work how? As a party trick maybe.
Communicating skills can be improved with practice, same goes for motivational methods and studying techniques.

However, i like to point out that i don't know which kind of methods they are using to improve in things like that, but i don't consider it necessarily to be totally ********.
Someclevernick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 11:04 AM   #10
xtifr
Graduate Poster

My question would be, why "neuro-"? Do they honestly believe something is happening at a neurological level? I think there's probably something that could reasonably be described as "neuro-linguistic programming", but I don't believe it's what these guys are selling, and I suspect it's too idiosyncratic to justify the claims they make for it. For that matter, what they're actually referring to is probably more idiosyncratic than they'd like to admit. In other words, basically woo, and doubly woo because of the nonsense terminology they use to make their product seem more "sciency".
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 01:53 PM   #11
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Or Is it a scam which will help us?

Thank you!

What does that even mean?

Are you talking about something like a placebo?
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2012, 08:18 AM   #12
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

It's nonsense. Try here or here.
Quote:
Psychologists, neurologists, human resource experts, and linguists have investigated NLP in scientific research reviews which conclude that it is built on conceptually erroneous notions of neurology and linguistics, and it has failed to show its claimed efficacy in controlled studies.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal