ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th July 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

How many liters water a day can I drink?

How many liters water a day can I drink? I know that too much is unhealthy, but what is too much?

And does this include or exclude other drinks, like tea, coffee and beer?
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

90g water per kg in rat, for human probably similar although I would research it before attempting to go near the limit.

PS: If youa re 80 kg in weight, about 7 liter is the LD50 in a 80 Kg rat .

I would say 1 liter or 2 a day should be safe but I am not a doctor.

Last edited by Aepervius; 8th July 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed 90 into 80
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
JJM 777
Suspended

Depends on how much you are sweating -- how hot the weather is.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
zeggman
Graduate Poster

I would expect, if you were also taking in enough salt and nutrients to keep your electrolytes balanced (and all the other homeostatic set points, like pH), the limit would probably be set by the capacity of your stomach and alimentary canal, the processing power of your kidneys, and how heavily you were sweating.
zeggman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 01:33 PM   #5
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

As they say, it depends on output, such as sweating.

But tea, coffee and beer do count towards your input. Food too - eat a whole watermelon .... The idea that coffee, tea and beer positively dehydrate you is fallacious. They just don't hydrate you as quite as well as other fluids.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 03:15 PM   #6
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The idea that coffee, tea and beer positively dehydrate you is fallacious.
Indeed. I drank nothing but iced tea for three days to demonstrate this to my students. If they caused you to become dehydrated then I should have been in dire condition by the end of it. I will say that I had to pee an awful lot. Of course, I was also taking in water via food during that time, but the point was made.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
I'm on doctor's orders to drink two liters a day, for kidney health. (That's the minimum; more if I'm sweating or the air is dry.) I didn't want to gain weight from sugar, and I hate the taste of sugar substitutes, so I drink mostly water, home-carbonated water, and unsweetened lemonade.

I can't imagine needing to drink much more than that per day, except to compensate for greater exertion or other dehydrating circumstances (such as hiking around in desert winds or illness or drooling a lot or something). I'm never thirsty; to actually get thirsty I have to go more than a whole day without water, which of course I'm not supposed to do. I fill a 2L bottle in the morning and if it's not finished by bedtime I drink the rest then, and drinking a leftover liter of water when you're sleepy and not thirsty is unpleasant enough that I've learned not to hydroprocrastinate.

If you feel like drinking 3 or 4 liters on a particular day (as I'd sometimes do before being on the more steady regimen) it's probably because you're starting out dehydrated from the previous days. If you feel like drinking 3 or 4 liters every day, and you're not working out or doing manual labor in a hot environment or something like that to explain it, then a doctor and some basic blood tests for sugars, electrolytes, liver and kidney function, etc. might be a good idea.

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 8th July 2012, 04:50 PM   #8
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
hydroprocrastinate.
Excellent!
Old 8th July 2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
Indeed. I drank nothing but iced tea for three days to demonstrate this to my students. If they caused you to become dehydrated then I should have been in dire condition by the end of it. I will say that I had to pee an awful lot. Of course, I was also taking in water via food during that time, but the point was made.
I also keep hearing that booze only dehydrates you, so I'm going to disprove this by drinking nothing but Stroh 80 for the next week.

This is a joke.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 05:52 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I figure that if at least one urination per day is clear, I'm probably adequately flushed out.

Also, except when asleep, about once per hour is my expectation. If I'm behind, I need to have a glass regardless of thirst.

So far as how much is too much, what are you, a two year old? Trying to win a WII? Otherwise, what is the point?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
jasonpatterson

Indeed. I drank nothing but iced tea for three days to demonstrate this to my students. If they caused you to become dehydrated then I should have been in dire condition by the end of it.
Rereading this, apparently students are commonly said to dehydrate teachers. Oh unreferenced pronouns, when will you ever learn? Also should have been a "me" being dehydrated, or more properly something generic like "one" or "people."
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 06:05 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I also keep hearing that booze only dehydrates you, so I'm going to disprove this by drinking nothing but Stroh 80 for the next week.

This is a joke.
Lesee, the oft quoted old wives tale is eight, eight ounce glasses of fluids per day. 64 oz. That's less than a six pack per day. I would need more fluids than that any day, more in this heat. I'll try it for a week if you supply the gluten free beverage. Quantity per the same quantity of fluids I drink tomorrow? Lessee, 3 mugs of coffee (@ 10 oz?) , 1/2 gallon of Kitchen Counter Tea (like sun tea, but the sun has not a bit to do with the chemistry), a pint of wine with dinner, and miscellaneous waters during the day. A gallon, or about 10 beers per day, spread all day. No biggy.

Just what bad thing is expected? Drunkenness, at 250#? ONE commercial beer (4%?) every90 minutes? Ha. Or depletion of electrolytes, when I already drink that much aqua every day? Doubt that too.

ate: OOops, did you say Stroh 80? Apparently that is a rum, a distilled beverage. The only Strohs I know of here on this side of the pond is beer. I do stand by what I said, except it isn't that good of a response to that quote of yours.

Last edited by casebro; 8th July 2012 at 06:12 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 06:15 PM   #13
zeggman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I drink mostly water, home-carbonated water, and unsweetened lemonade.
Is there a trick to this? I have a seltzer bottle, and some CO2 cartridges, but it doesn't come out bubbly like a can of soda. Honestly, it's almost like I stirred a spoon of baking soda into a glass of water. Do I need to refrigerate the water first? Use more than one cartridge? Buy a barometric chamber?
zeggman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Lisa Simpson

That myth was recently told to me again, by a co-worker who is on Weight Watchers. She was also told there that carbonated water is dehydrating. I can kind of see the (erroneous) logic behind the caffeinated beverages myth, but how in the world is carbonated water supposed to be dehydrating?
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 06:39 PM   #15
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Originally Posted by zeggman View Post
Is there a trick to this? I have a seltzer bottle, and some CO2 cartridges, but it doesn't come out bubbly like a can of soda. Honestly, it's almost like I stirred a spoon of baking soda into a glass of water. Do I need to refrigerate the water first? Use more than one cartridge? Buy a barometric chamber?
I use a Sodastream and it comes out just like a can of club soda (seltzer water).

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/
Old 8th July 2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Walabio
Thinker

Here are some heuristics; but I recommend however, consulting a Science-Based Doctor

As others have stated, it depends:

Assuming that you are healthy, it could less than 1 liter on cool humid days with little physical activity, or over a liter an hour if one exerts oneself in extreme heat. One must balance one’s electrolytes by consuming about 1 gram of the common ions like sodium potassium, calcium, magnesium, lithium, carbonate, sulfate, phosphate, fluoride, iodine, chloride et cetera (all totaled together —— not 1 gram each) per liter.

Food and drinks have water in them too. Most foods require more water to digest than one extracts from them —— One will die of dehydration if one tries to stay hydrated on nothing but Saltines and Salted Pretzels.

Doctor Steven Novella on the Skeptics’ Guide To The Universe, in 1 of the episodes, the number of the episode, I cannot name off of the top of mine head, suggests drinking when one is thirsty while avoiding sugary or caffeinated drinks.

Most people, if the drink when they are thirsty, drink between 1 liter and 1 gallon (4 liters), daily.

All of this assumes that you are healthy. If you have a medical condition, all of the people on this board cannot keep you from dying. I recommend that you see a Science-Based Doctor.

Last edited by Walabio; 8th July 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Food and drinks have water in them too.
Walabio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 06:48 PM   #17
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It probably won't ever be as tingly as the commercial drinks but:

Chill the container and the water first, and make the soda ahead of time to allow for more absorbtion of CO2. If you charge it then serve it right away, you notice you get a much more powerful stream, because the gas is going into pushing the water out rather than getting absorbed by it.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:20 PM   #18
This is The End

To the OP:

As far as I understand it, you would have to be drinking an "uncomfortable amount" of water for it to be unhealthy.

In other words, it would be very hard to drink too much water per day; you wouldn't "enjoy" it to say the least.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:37 PM   #19
This is The End

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

90g water per kg in rat, for human probably similar although I would research it before attempting to go near the limit.

PS: If youa re 80 kg in weight, about 7 liter is the LD50 in a 80 Kg rat .

I would say 1 liter or 2 a day should be safe but I am not a doctor.
Good info, but that is, unless I am wrong, the info for a single dose.

The OP is asking about per day.

There would be a huge difference between drinking 7 liters in 30 to 45 minutes or so, and drinking 7 liters in 16-18 hours (approx. 1/2 liter per hour).
Old 8th July 2012, 11:12 PM   #20
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by temporalillusion View Post
I use a Sodastream and it comes out just like a can of club soda (seltzer water).

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/
Thanks for the link. I'm going to follow up because it sounds like an interesting idea. I really dislike plain water so this might help solve the problem.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 11:16 PM   #21
epepke
Philosopher

I've read about two problems with water.

One is that if you drink too much water too quickly, your brain and other tissues around it will expand, causing unconsciousness or even death. I don't know exactly how much.

The other is that too much water will wash out your loops of Henle, causing a lot of minerals and other stuff to come out in your urine. The amounts I've seen start around 10 liters per day.

Note that I am not a nephrologist, so take this with a grain of salt (in some water).

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2012, 12:17 AM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I would expect, if you were also taking in enough salt and nutrients to keep your electrolytes balanced (and all the other homeostatic set points, like pH), the limit would probably be set by the capacity of your stomach and alimentary canal, the processing power of your kidneys, and how heavily you were sweating.
Actually most people consume far more salt than they need. See this

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...nsf/pages/Salt

Quote:
Muscle cramps need water not salt
Some people believe that salt has to be replaced during hot weather or strenuous exercise to avoid muscle cramps. This is not correct. What you need to replace is water. The human body can happily survive on just one gram of salt a day, as hormones keep a check on sodium levels and make adjustments for hot weather. A genuine sodium shortage brought on by hot weather or exercise is extremely rare, even among hard-working athletes.

The muscle cramps that sometimes follow a bout of sweating are due to dehydration, not lack of salt. To prevent cramps, drink plenty of water on hot days and before, during and after exercise. This will also help to even out the water–sodium ratio in the body.
I also found this http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
about drinking too much water. The first part did not make sense but then this explains it all
Quote:
It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time.
So as long as you spread your two litres of water over the day you will be safe. You could drink far more than this without problems.

I do suggest that if anyone wants to change their diet they not make sudden, massive changes. Make small changes over a period of time. That way if you do something wrong your body will tell you before the changes kill you.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:29 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
That myth was recently told to me again, by a co-worker who is on Weight Watchers. She was also told there that carbonated water is dehydrating. I can kind of see the (erroneous) logic behind the caffeinated beverages myth, but how in the world is carbonated water supposed to be dehydrating?
Well bubbles are CO2 and that is also known as "dry ice"....
Old 9th July 2012, 02:04 AM   #24
dafydd
Banned

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...water-can-kill
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2012, 02:29 AM   #25
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
That says what my link said above. Do not drink several litres in a few hours.
Old 9th July 2012, 05:27 AM   #26
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

By coincidence, I use a Sodastream like temporalillusion. It was a gift, so I don't know how it compares to other similar systems now on the market in the US.

I don't know the parameters of your seltzer bottle so I can't tell for sure what the difference is. There would appear to be four possible variables apart from the characteristics of the water (e.g. temperature and impurities): the pressure of the CO2 source, the pressure reached in the vessel where the CO2 and water are mixed, the time the pressure is maintained for, and agitation. The agitation might be important; the Sodastream bubbles the CO2 up from the bottom of the bottle, and I would imagine that just introducing pressurized CO2 into the gas space at the top of the bottle would be less effective, at least in the short term.

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 9th July 2012, 08:34 AM   #27
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for all the feedback and info, people. Good stuff.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2012, 09:14 AM   #28
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
So far as how much is too much, what are you, a two year old? Trying to win a WII? Otherwise, what is the point?
Would a two year old post on this forum?
Old 9th July 2012, 09:46 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Walabio View Post
Assuming that you are healthy, it could less than 1 liter on cool humid days with little physical activity
Right. I am so tired of the myth running in my family that you absolutely need to drink 8 glasses of water a day in addition to all the food you're taking in, the coffee, etc.

I don't know how to show them that it's wrong when discussing this over supper. They keep coming back to the idea that it "filters" the blood, whatever the hell that means.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2012, 10:27 AM   #30
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm going to follow up because it sounds like an interesting idea. I really dislike plain water so this might help solve the problem.
Certainly did solve it for me, I go through phases where I like plain water, but even when I do it has to be like 0.1 degrees above freezing

I've seen home built CO2 chargers and systems that are cheaper than the Sodastream (the CO2 cylinders are like $12 or $15 to replace, and each one will do 60 1L bottles or so), but I hate having to maintain a home built device for such things, I like the simplicity and convenience.

Their syrups aren't too bad either, the Cola Bold (Coke Zero knockoff) isn't too bad (I stick to the diet ones, the whole point of this for me is to avoid calorie laden drinks).

What I really like using with the Sodastream though are the Mio water flavour things, gives just a hint of flavor rather than making a sweet drink.

Buy two bottles, keep one in the fridge all the time to stay cool, and you've got infinite soda water, it's probably the only purchase I've made in the last year that I can say has been well worth it.
Old 9th July 2012, 11:13 AM   #31
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
ate: OOops, did you say Stroh 80? Apparently that is a rum, a distilled beverage. The only Strohs I know of here on this side of the pond is beer. I do stand by what I said, except it isn't that good of a response to that quote of yours.
Not to mention that the '80' in Stroh 80 does not mean 80-proof but rather 80% ABV! That's some wicked stuff, that.

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Yes, I once drank a half-bottle of it neat. I had to get out of bed later in order to dive headfirst into the wardrobe in an attempt to get to the bathroom. I subsequently had to sleep on the floor, since I literally couldn't lift myself up to get back in bed. Wicked stuff indeed.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2012, 06:01 PM   #33
jasonpatterson

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Perhaps a highly literate two year old without the good sense to avoid the pedantic foolishness and insane speculation that makes up 90% of the stuff on here. Yeah, I can see a 2 year old like that posting on this forum.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:21 AM   #34
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well if it is a quart size you need to use two cylinders and it is better to use one first and blow it out then use two for charging it. Also you need to use the right amount of water as well.

But if you drink a lot if carbonated water a system built off of a 20 lb CO2 cylinder is cheaper, and you can control your level of carbonation by carbonating it to the pressure you want.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 04:46 AM   #35
EHocking
Philosopher

34qa=n pnm8oase p98nmqrp9fhvh qag
0[23 90fu8oaf mu90cpqq 9pn 8234qac nq m9p84q2j843
9p43349hafvio;cvn;nocva 'pasf'jkawIOPJF0 J9 KAS;D H IAHO;I H
'almiofuao;v
aasrf'limfuaom9vn4u=-978nm 0[
o9nmu0[m9ac [ 0[9a74c nm-=agea 89uy vm[09 a 9p-8 0 8 u0[-9u 0[9u0[9qaq a890u

ap n890ua908a -o0imq4-93ftu8
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 10th July 2012 at 04:47 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 04:47 AM   #36
EHocking
Philosopher

Does that answer your question?
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 04:59 AM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by temporalillusion View Post
Certainly did solve it for me, I go through phases where I like plain water, but even when I do it has to be like 0.1 degrees above freezing

I've seen home built CO2 chargers and systems that are cheaper than the Sodastream (the CO2 cylinders are like $12 or $15 to replace, and each one will do 60 1L bottles or so), but I hate having to maintain a home built device for such things, I like the simplicity and convenience.
What maintenance? It is a more manual process and you will need to go to a welding supply store to refill a tank, but you have more control over carbonation, can carbonate anything, like booze or fruit, and it is less expensive.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 04:41 PM   #38
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
What maintenance? It is a more manual process and you will need to go to a welding supply store to refill a tank, but you have more control over carbonation, can carbonate anything, like booze or fruit, and it is less expensive.
Home built things (or probably just my home built things) seem to require more attention over time. I just like the simplicity and ease, the savings vs. buying cans is already sufficient (and really wasn't the primary driving factor behind getting a Sodastream).

My other objection with home build was the type of CO2, but I guess "food grade" CO2 is available for such applications.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:13 PM   #39
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Not the "Food Grade Myth" again. Do you think an industrial gas supply can sell contaminated gases?

Let me tell you, your belly can handle lots more contaminants than say nuclear welding can.

Though there is a "laboratory grade".

I keg homebrew, weld, and use CO2 to power pneumatic tools. I do know when I'm full of gas.

But aside, I get my welding tanks refilled at the keg beer store. Cheapest there, and it all comes from the same truck. But the best deal is to catch one of the commercial guys pumping gas into a restaurant or bar. Tough to catch them though-, what am I gonna do, load up my cylinders and drive around town hoping to get lucky? One shop I was in had a deli next door. Just watch for the "Carbonics" truck.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:36 PM   #40
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

How many liters water a day can I drink? I know that too much is unhealthy, but what is too much?
Drink when you're thirsty. When you're no longer thirsty, stop drinking.

And does this include or exclude other drinks, like tea, coffee and beer?
Don't drink beer because you're thirsty. Drink beer because you diagnosed yourself with the horrible medical condition called "sobriety".
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology