ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags carbonation , paintball , refill , sodastream

Old 29th July 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
jimtron
Illuminator

Sodastream: food grade CO2?

I bought a Sodastream a while back, not to make flavored soda but just because I like to drink carbonated water, and it's cheaper and less wasteful to make it from tap water than to buy it. Sodastream includes a CO2 tank with a proprietary nozzle or whatever you call it, so you have to exchange the tanks which costs $15 (which in the long run is still cheaper than buying seltzer water in cans or bottles).

So then I found out about the Sodamod, which is an adapter that allows you to use paintball tanks in the Sodastream, which cost only about $2 or $3 to refill, even for much larger tanks. I thought I had read somewhere that there's no such thing as "food-grade" CO2, but after using the paintball tanks (refilled at the chain store, Sports Authority) I noticed the taste was a bit weird, so I did some more Googling and found some indication that there are in fact different grades of CO2, some filtered, some not, and unfiltered gas could have Benzene or other nasty contaminants.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/BN-Army...ths-and-Rumors

Anyone know anything about this? I'd hate to go back to $15 refills, but I'm not crazy about inhaling Benzene.
Old 29th July 2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Pantaz
Muse

I don't have specifics, but I am aware of differing grades (purity levels) of compressed gases.
Depending on the volume you're using, industrial gas suppliers, such as Air Liquide, AirGas, etc., may offer a better price. You might need to bring your equipment to them to see if the connectors/valves are compatible.
Old 29th July 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
jimtron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pantaz View Post
I don't have specifics, but I am aware of differing grades (purity levels) of compressed gases.
Depending on the volume you're using, industrial gas suppliers, such as Air Liquide, AirGas, etc., may offer a better price. You might need to bring your equipment to them to see if the connectors/valves are compatible.
I did call several of those places and they didn't refill paintball tanks.
Old 29th July 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Another, potentially larger issue that might be giving you an off-taste is that tanks of gas intended for human consumption are cleaned, and tanks for random uses like paintball are not. I've had the valve off of a paintball cylinder, and it was filthy inside. I took it to be the residue from spinning the tank and machining the threads. I've heard the same from other folks who have opened their tanks for one reason or another. It doesn't mean it can't be cleaned, just that it hasn't been. I'd take the valve off, and use a strong detergent to get all the oil and dirt out, maybe throw some BB's in and swirl them around to help scrub the inside without abrading it.

In other news, I found a youtube video showing how to refill the sodastream tanks at home, using dry ice, which I'm pretty sure IS food grade, since it's sold for keeping food cold, and that implies contact with something that will be eaten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWcRDMAA8RE

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 29th July 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Imbedding disabled, replaced with link.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimtron View Post
You could get them to lease you a full size cylinder though, filled from the same tank they fill the cylinders for restaurants. Then get or make a transfill whip just like the sports stores use to refill the paintball cylinders.

them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Actually, and more fun (though the useful life is shorter): you can just put a piece of dry ice in the water and as it bubbles it will nicely carbonate the water. My students and I make sodas every year (when studying gasses( by adding flavoring/sugar to water and putting dry ice in. They are surprised when they test it and find it very good and perfectly bubbly. Also, you make a weird cold candy - sugar and flavoring freezes on the dry ice - quite tasty................

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2012, 11:08 PM   #7
BowlOfRed
Muse

There are lots of ways to do it to keep the pricing down. See this page:
http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/...-on-club-soda/
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2012, 11:11 PM   #8
volcano
Critical Thinker

We buy cartridges at the local homebrew shop-- same size as paintball cartridges, but designed for human consumption.
(When at home we use a large tank for carbonating-- the little cartridges are useful for dispensing beer away from home, though, when we bring a keg of beer to parties, etc.).

Last edited by volcano; 29th July 2012 at 11:14 PM.
volcano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
We buy cartridges at the local homebrew shop-- same size as paintball cartridges, but designed for human consumption.
(When at home we use a large tank for carbonating-- the little cartridges are useful for dispensing beer away from home, though, when we bring a keg of beer to parties, etc.).
You can actually carbonate with those (the 9 gram size) without any equipment at all except a soda bottle, water, ice, and a knife. It's a pain in the ass but I've done it several times basically as proof of concept. I fill a soda bottle with ice cold (literally shaken with ice right before it's poured in) water, use a sharp knife to make a tiny hole in the end of the cartridge, then drop it into the water and close the cap. You want to scrub the outside surface of the cartridge really well, since they don't figure on that touching the beverage, and make sure that you've got the tiniest possible hole, just barely hissing. Even barely hissing is a lot of gas once it's in the water. I rotate the knife around with its point on the end of the cartridge and basically let it dig its own way in. Once you drop it in the bottle, it helps to burp any remaining air out before closing the lid. Then you shake the bottle continuously. If you're shaking hard enough, the CO2 absorbs faster than the cartridge is emitting it and the bottle stays soft and sometimes even collapses a bit. If the bottle starts to get hard and pressurized, shake harder. If you're shaking as hard as you can and the bottle doesn't go soft again, then either you made too big a hole in your cartridge or the water has absorbed all it can. In either case, open the lid a bit and vent off the excess till the cartridge stops bubbling. I use a magnet to take the cartridge out of the bottle, but it wouldn't be a huge issue if you were serving it right away, or pouring it into a different container. Once when I left the cartridge in the bottle though it rusted and gave the water a nasty color and flavor.

You could do something similar with a chunk of dry ice, I'd imagine. If you just let it bubble through it won't be fully carbonated, but with the additional pressure build up in the bottle you could get it completely saturated. Not only that, but the dry ice would help cool the water, which is important for good absorbtion.

them?' " - H. G. Wells
Old 30th July 2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Pantaz
Muse

Originally Posted by jimtron View Post
Actually, I was thinking more along these lines...

Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
You could get them to lease you a full size cylinder though, filled from the same tank they fill the cylinders for restaurants. Then get or make a transfill whip just like the sports stores use to refill the paintball cylinders.
You can probably get by with a 10 or 15 pound capacity cylinder, which shouldn't be too expensive. (Leasing is generally the preferred option for the larger cylinders.)

Also, home-beer-brewing suppliers might be a good place to go for CO2.
Pantaz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2012, 05:23 AM   #11
casebro
Philosopher

I guess I have my doubts that there is a lower grade of 'industrial' co2. Welders and etc that use the gas need purity too, probably more important than the food industry. I suspect there is only one supply chain with one grade of gas. The stuff is expensive to handle, what with high pressure tank trucks and storage.

Hmmm, next time I get to the keg store for a refill, I shall look at their tanks for a "food grade" designation. Hmmm, when I refilled at the welding gas store, where they knowingly fill tanks for either food or industrial uses, I don't recall them asking about usage. I do both with the same tanks.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2012, 05:46 AM   #12
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

The purity differences are significant.

http://www.pasuk.com/assets/File/co2purity.pdf

And there are industrial systems for purification.

If you care about your health, do not use anything other than beverage CO2.
Old 30th July 2012, 09:14 AM   #13
kedo1981
Master Poster

Me thinks there could be a bit of oil for lube also

I readily admit I donít know enough to say for sure that there is no God.
But I do know enough so say that anyone who claims to know the mind and will of a being such as God is a liar.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2012, 10:47 AM   #14
jimtron
Illuminator

Thanks for the helpful replies. Homebrew store sounds like a good bet, and if that doesn't work maybe a big tank.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:08 AM   #15
casebro
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post

The gist of that site is that Coke,Pepsi, and brewers have standards.

Nothing there says that industrial grade is out of spec. And nobody here has claimed that what their industrial supplier sells is anything besides food grade.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2012, 01:04 PM   #16
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
The gist of that site is that Coke,Pepsi, and brewers have standards.

Nothing there says that industrial grade is out of spec. And nobody here has claimed that what their industrial supplier sells is anything besides food grade.
Found some discussion of this as it relates to brewing; http://thebrewingnetwork.com/BN-Army...ths-and-Rumors
Old 31st July 2012, 10:34 PM   #17
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post

I was starting to get excited, when I saw they were testing for THC levels, till I read down a bit and saw that it was probably their ad-hoc abbreviation for 'total hydrocarbon'.

I do note though that nothing in the article you linked indicated that commercial CO2 didn't meet the standards, just that standards had been proposed, and the company that made the powerpoint was planning to market a gas analyzer to Coke and Pepsi to meet said proposed standards.

them?' " - H. G. Wells
Old 31st July 2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Finn McR

If you have detected an off-taste due to possible "industrial-grade" CO2 (no control of tank cleanliness, possible lubricants in the system, etc), you should take a look at the fountain drink nozzles at you local fast food joints. Unless they are cleaned regularly in disinfectant, they develop impressive mildew/biofilm/whatever contaminants. Think of it, wet sugar syrup that sits for hours overnight unless cleaned regularly (and this is not purely theoretical but based on, shudder, anecdotal experience).
Finn McR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2012, 11:48 PM   #19
Lamuella
Master Poster

I do wonder why carbonated water is so expensive in the US. When I lived there it was really hard to find fizzy water that wasn't either club soda or perrier, both of which were overpriced. Where I live right now, I can get a 2 litre bottle of carbonated water for 17p (around 30 cents).
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2012, 11:52 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Weird. We exchange our Sodastream cannisters for free.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:01 AM   #21
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Weird. We exchange our Sodastream cannisters for free.
The equivalent of free refills?

We used to pay a hefty fee for the first as it included a deposit for the cyclinder, and then you would get a large proportion back if you handed it in, or you could swap it for a filled one for a small fee.
DrDave is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2012, 12:20 AM   #22
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes, we get unlimited free refills.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:52 AM   #23
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
I do wonder why carbonated water is so expensive in the US. When I lived there it was really hard to find fizzy water that wasn't either club soda or perrier, both of which were overpriced. Where I live right now, I can get a 2 litre bottle of carbonated water for 17p (around 30 cents).
Flat bottled water costs over 2 dollars a litre here. I don't know why anyone's stupid enough to buy it.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology