ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:34 PM   #41
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

After each stage, four riders are tested: the overall leader, the stage winner, and two riders at random. In addition, every rider is tested before the first day's stage, normally a short time-trial. Most teams are tested in their entirety at some point during the three-week race. Additional testing may take place during the off-season, and riders are expected to keep their national cycling federation informed of their whereabouts so they can be located. Many teams have their own drug testing programs to keep the team name clean. Teams, such as Quick-Step, have pulled riders before they compete in major competitions. Tom Boonen was pulled for cocaine before the 2008 Tour de France.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:35 PM   #42
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_...2C_1998_-_2012

How did they catch all these others, and miss Lance?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 12:18 AM   #43
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Except that USADA have no authority to strip him of anything, or in fact to bring these charges, given it's own 8 year statute of limitations. The whole case is bs.
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Actually, they do in a round about way. UCI is a signer of the World Anti-Doping Code. They really have no choice but to strip them.

Not sure about when the statute of limitations begins but Armstrong only retired last year.
I wondered about all this also. No matter what, it seems like the USADA does not have the power to strip anybody of anything. It sounds like it might have the power to force some other agency to strip somebody of something.

But the USADA also seems to be behaving like some sort of rogue bureaucracy in all this and I wonder if they're going to get anybody to go along with what looks like some kind of whacked anti-Armstrong crusade.

I think Armstrong probably took some kind of performance enhancing drugs, but it was at a time when it was pretty common and the idea that going after him is fair seems whacked to me. It is a pretty simple idea. Armstrong won under the rules and testing that were extent at the time. Why it seems fair to the USADA to attempt to undo that and make somebody else a winner is beyond me. Does the USADA propose to go after everybody that becomes a winner after Armstrong's wins are taken away until they find the level of purity they are after in Tour de France competitors in long ago competitions?

Has the USADA started down the path of investigating every major American athlete that competed before the current level of drug testing expertise was achieved? This will be interesting, if that is what they have in mind. An athlete never knows whether he has won or lost. The results are kept in limbo as each year the athlete's samples are retested using the best technology current for that year. So some athlete that thought he got an Olympic bronze medal ten years ago finds out that after years of submitting his samples for testing the USADA has finally stumbled on a test that produces a positive result and the athlete is stripped of his medal. What total and complete nonsense.

A lot of times I'm not a fan of how the US tax dollars are spent, but funding the bunch of USADA nut jobs to run politicized vendettas seems like a particularly egregious waste of money and resources to me.

ETA:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

A reasonable question I think and I don't have an answer. My guess that Armstrong took performance enhancing drugs is based on the opinions of people that are knowledgeable about professional bike racing and my general sense that there is enough noise around the issue that I suspect there is something to the allegations. I would be happy to be wrong and I concede that I well might be.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 24th August 2012 at 12:25 AM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 03:00 AM   #44
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

According to Graeme Obree (who is a tainted source what with him being so bitter and all) on Radio 5 just now, the drug of choice was undetectable at the time.

So if Lance Armstrong was guilty (and I really, really hope that he was not) then it would be because his doctors were better than the drug testers.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 03:06 AM   #45
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
Has the USADA started down the path of investigating every major American athlete that competed before the current level of drug testing expertise was achieved? This will be interesting, if that is what they have in mind. An athlete never knows whether he has won or lost. The results are kept in limbo as each year the athlete's samples are retested using the best technology current for that year. So some athlete that thought he got an Olympic bronze medal ten years ago finds out that after years of submitting his samples for testing the USADA has finally stumbled on a test that produces a positive result and the athlete is stripped of his medal. What total and complete nonsense.
USADA's actions against Lance Armstrong certainly smack of a vendetta to me but then again their actions against Marion Jones meant that a dirty athlete was rightly stripped of her medals.

If I was a clean runner who missed out in that Olympic bronze medal because one or more of the medallists was dirty then I'd be very interested in justice being done. That said, it isn't a level playing field, USADA may be undertaking a thorough examination but similar bodies in the rest of the world are not so the medals may end up being stripped from a dirty US athlete and then being passed to an equally dirty (but unchallenged) athlete from another country.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 04:30 AM   #46
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
According to Graeme Obree (who is a tainted source what with him being so bitter and all) on Radio 5 just now, the drug of choice was undetectable at the time.

So if Lance Armstrong was guilty (and I really, really hope that he was not) then it would be because his doctors were better than the drug testers.
And Lance was the only cyclist who knew of this undetectable method?

Seems very unlikely.

Lance should release these organizations from confidentiality wrt his test results/reports. Let's see what they actually have.

That would put the ball in their court.

Old 24th August 2012, 04:51 AM   #47
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Are...y_Co-operative

The point of these PEDs (beside the PE) is that they are cutting edge, and slightly ahead of the testing curve.

That's what you pay for: i.e. Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, et al.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 04:57 AM   #48
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
The evidence is that he's not contesting the charges. Now that's happened, they have no choice but to strip him of his titles.

So who came second in those 7 Tours de France?
Some less famous guy who was doping too.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 04:58 AM   #49
DC
Banned

Damn, not that i ever watched a whole etappe of a tour. and usually i asume the cyclist is doped to the max. but Armstrong. i always assumed he was clean. Very disapointing.

maybe they should just legalize doping, then we can see witch pharma company has the best doping. Maybe cycling is then like the turbo times in the formula one
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 05:02 AM   #50
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

The point of these PEDs (beside the PE) is that they are cutting edge, and slightly ahead of the testing curve.

Steroids were not illegal for those players, iirc. They were not even tested for PEDs for the majority of their careers. It's easy to use PEDs when you are not tested for them, and even if you are tested, there are no consequences.

The TDF is completely different.

Besides, the USADA apparently has no real evidence from Lance's tour win years.

Old 24th August 2012, 05:04 AM   #51
Dcdrac
Philosopher

If he is innocent why is he not contesting it?
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 05:06 AM   #52
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Steroids were not illegal for those players, iirc. They were not even tested for PEDs for the majority of their careers. It's easy to use PEDs when you are not tested for them, and even if you are tested, there are no consequences.

The TDF is completely different.

Besides, the USADA apparently has no real evidence from Lance's tour win years.
I think they have witnesses to the doping.

Last edited by Resume; 24th August 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 05:07 AM   #53
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
If he is innocent why is he not contesting it?
He's tired of contesting such charges.

The USADA probably can't actually strip him of the TDF wins.

He won the TDF's under the rules and testing applied to him at the time of the competitions.

He doesn't care anymore, he has moved on with his work and his foundation.

Old 24th August 2012, 05:08 AM   #54
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

He's tired of contesting such charges.

The USADA probably can't actually strip him of the TDF wins.

He won the TDF's under the rules and testing applied to him at the time of the competitions.

He doesn't care anymore, he has moved on with his work and his foundation.
Or his lawyers advised him to shut up.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:09 AM   #55
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think they have witnesses to the doping.
And these witnesses said nothing at the time? They just let Lance go?

Old 24th August 2012, 05:10 AM   #56
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

And these witnesses said nothing at the time? They just let Lance go?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/sp...pagewanted=all

I think it's more complicated.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:12 AM   #57
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
So who came second in those 7 Tours de France?
The doped-up cyclists who haven't been caught yet.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 05:18 AM   #58
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DC View Post
maybe they should just legalize doping, then we can see witch pharma company has the best doping. Maybe cycling is then like the turbo times in the formula one
I think they should for all sports. Make 'em like the WWE, and then I can stop wasting my time with them.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:24 AM   #59
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Hincapie’s word would be especially harmful for Armstrong, considering the two have said they are as close as brothers. Like Andy Pettitte, who testified against his friend Roger Clemens at Clemens’s perjury trial, Hincapie is likely to be a reluctant witness, and thus might seem even more credible

Andy Pettite basically reversed himself later under oath regarding Clemens...saying he might not have heard what he swore he'd heard earlier...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may...emens-20120503

Old 24th August 2012, 05:39 AM   #60
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Andy Pettite basically reversed himself later under oath regarding Clemens...saying he might not have heard what he swore he'd heard earlier...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may...emens-20120503
How utterly convenient for Clemens.

Pettite is like Frankie Pentangeli.

Last edited by Resume; 24th August 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:47 AM   #61
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
What are the possibilities of false positives from the drugs he was taking for cancer?
What are the possibilities that his cancer was caused by the doping?
Old 24th August 2012, 05:50 AM   #62
DrDave
Illuminator

Do the rules ban classes of substances or specific chemicals

If they can't detect it I can't see how they can hope to be able to ban something
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 05:56 AM   #63
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The feds did not press charges despite hearing all of these witnesses.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/03/sport/...html?hpt=hp_t3

Old 24th August 2012, 05:58 AM   #64
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
A 1999 urine sample showed traces of corticosteroid in an amount that was not in the positive range. A medical certificate showed he used an approved cream for saddle sores which contained the substance.
Merely rubbing this cream on his skin resulted in a detectable amount of steroids in his urine in 1999...

Old 24th August 2012, 06:18 AM   #65
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The UCI has apparently said that USADA will have to present it's case before any action will be taken regarding the TDF titles.

Old 24th August 2012, 06:38 AM   #66
Tatyana
Illuminator

Is there an explanation for passing several hundred tests?
He failed the tests for EPO when they were developed.

They store samples for testing when new methods are made available.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 07:10 AM   #67
Newtons Bit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
He failed the tests for EPO when they were developed.

They store samples for testing when new methods are made available.
Source?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein

My website.
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 07:12 AM   #68
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Source?
They would take the blood from the cyclist, surely?
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 07:34 AM   #69
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
USADA's actions against Lance Armstrong certainly smack of a vendetta to me but then again their actions against Marion Jones meant that a dirty athlete was rightly stripped of her medals.

If I was a clean runner who missed out in that Olympic bronze medal because one or more of the medallists was dirty then I'd be very interested in justice being done. That said, it isn't a level playing field, USADA may be undertaking a thorough examination but similar bodies in the rest of the world are not so the medals may end up being stripped from a dirty US athlete and then being passed to an equally dirty (but unchallenged) athlete from another country.
But this isn't clean riders missing out. At least 6 of the second place getters to Lance are dirty.

And USADA are not more thorough than the French authorities, I can assure you of that. Just ask Remy Di Gregorio.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 07:38 AM   #70
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

What's BALCO got to do with Lance Armstrong?

These are more relevant, at least there are cyclists involved:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festina_affair
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operaci...to_doping_case

One of Lances accusers, Tyler Hamilton is even in there, not that I'd ever believe a word out of his mouth.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 07:41 AM   #71
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by DC View Post
Damn, not that i ever watched a whole etappe of a tour. and usually i asume the cyclist is doped to the max. but Armstrong. i always assumed he was clean. Very disapointing.

Why would they legalise doping when they've finally got it relatively under control?
Old 24th August 2012, 07:44 AM   #72
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
They would take the blood from the cyclist, surely?
He meant source for the story.
Old 24th August 2012, 07:45 AM   #73
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
The doped-up cyclists who haven't been caught yet.
Actually most of them were caught at one stage or another.
Old 24th August 2012, 07:47 AM   #74
Marcus
Master Poster

Is there an explanation for passing several hundred tests?
It's a matter of timing and dosage. EPO allows you to train harder, it's not something you need to take during a race. All you have to worry about are the random tests and there some ways to get around them. There was the famous "shower incident", an official surprised Lance after a ride, Lance disappeared to "take a shower" and made the official wait 2 hours. Technically a violation but UCI chose not to sanction.

With blood doping (saving your own blood for later use) it's important to be accurate. You're safe as long as you don't take too much and bust the red cell level on the test.

It's all about having good doctors. Floyd didn't get caught until he was dropped from the team and lost their docs.

Most cyclists are not caught by tests but by possession of drugs or blood bags.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 07:59 AM   #75
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Yes, testing tech was behind doping tech. USADA says they have blood tests from 1999 and as early as 1996 that are consistent with doping using the new technology.
It was 2 or 3 years ago that three of Lance's samples from 1999 were found positive for EPO, but the time limit had passed for sanctions.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:03 AM   #76
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It's a matter of timing and dosage. EPO allows you to train harder, it's not something you need to take during a race. All you have to worry about are the random tests and there some ways to get around them. There was the famous "shower incident", an official surprised Lance after a ride, Lance disappeared to "take a shower" and made the official wait 2 hours. Technically a violation but UCI chose not to sanction.

With blood doping (saving your own blood for later use) it's important to be accurate. You're safe as long as you don't take too much and bust the red cell level on the test.

It's all about having good doctors. Floyd didn't get caught until he was dropped from the team and lost their docs

Most cyclists are not caught by tests but by possession of drugs or blood bags.
No, Floyd got caught by testing positive on one of the biggest stages of the tour. it was as a result of that he was dropped by his team.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:05 AM   #77
Marcus
Master Poster

All of this I agree with. Lance was either an absolute freak of nature or a doper.
Both I think. Lance was a superior athlete, he didn't get the highest VO2 ever tested by using the same chemical assistance that his competitors were using. I hate it that his titles will probably be stripped
Old 24th August 2012, 08:08 AM   #78
chillzero
Domestic Godless

I'd like to echo this question:
Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
Do the rules ban classes of substances or specific chemicals
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:11 AM   #79
Marcus
Master Poster

No, Floyd got caught by testing positive on one of the biggest stages of the tour. it was as a result of that he was dropped by his team.
Floyd moved from US Postal (Lances team) to Phonak in 2005, losing the expertise of their doctors. He won the TDF in 2006 and was stripped of that title after testing positive.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:12 AM   #80
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

One of Lances accusers, Tyler Hamilton is even in there, not that I'd ever believe a word out of his mouth.
Who would you believe?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events