ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:05 PM   #121
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
One he said she said is one thing.

A few of them with chemical evidence is another.
Bring it?

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 12:06 PM   #122
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
All of them? It's they said, he said.
Indeed. Some real evidence and not hearsay is what I would require.

funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 12:09 PM   #123
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
They're all lying? And the USADA is out to get him? And L'Equipe?

Not buying it.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 12:13 PM   #124
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

They're all lying? And the USADA is out to get him? And L'Equipe?

Not buying it.
How much evidence did the Feds see that wasnt deemed sufficient? Tainted witness. Offers of who knows what?

My brother once told my mother I stole some mmey from her. Guess what?

The USADA is all about McCarthyism.

Old 24th August 2012, 12:15 PM   #125
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

How much evidence did the Feds see that wasnt deemed sufficient? Tainted witness. Offers of who knows what?

There were to be at least ten witnesses if this went to arbitration, which is probably why Armstrong quit.

Not buying your CT.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 12:47 PM   #126
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Keep in mind the different standards of evidence. Arbitration has a much lower standard than a criminal case. They can accept anything they decide to accept in arbitration, at the will of the officials, and Lance would have agreed to that arbitration process at some point.

You could easily win a criminal case and lose in arbitration on the exact same evidence.

I still think Lance should release the report when the USADA provides it to him and UCI.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 12:53 PM   #127
Nessie
Philosopher

I have been watching the Tour De France for the past 20 years. It has until recently always had issues with drug use and cheating. I came to accept that it was a race to find the best cyclist, based on the person, bike, team and use of drugs. Lance Armstrong did not fail any tests at the time. That was at a time when cyclist after cyclist was failing and the culture of doping permeated the sport.

As has been pointed out those who came second are also likely or proven blood dopers. That may well be true for third, fourth and so on. Why not just blank out the results for the whole of the Tour De France for those seven years? And a good few years either side of that.

I think he should keep his titles as he was the best cyclist when faced with lots of competition from many other cyclists including from those who were definitely cheating.
Old 24th August 2012, 01:04 PM   #128
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Who'd be stupid enough to believe anything Floyd "I denied doping for years and duped people out of millions to fund my case, then eventually admitted that I was a cheat and tried to blame everyone else" Landis said?
The problem is, it's not just Floyd. If it was, it would be much easier to dismiss the whole thing.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 01:35 PM   #129
Caper
Illuminator

How do they even figure out who to give the titles to? I'm of the belief that with that many people cheating (during that time) you would have to be almost superhuman to crack the top 20.... I don't know if there were any of at least the top 10 they haven't caught dopping all ready.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 01:37 PM   #130
mgidm86
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
Actual hard evidence has been hinted at, but not confirmed AFAIK. The bulk of the USADA's case seems to rely on circumstantial evidence - Armstrong complained that the USADA offered leniency to numerous other riders in exchange for testimony.

Whoever ends up with the titles is almost certainly also a blood doper/PED user, so what's the point? I'd rather see my tax $ go towards education and prevention.
Ya, me too!

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service gave tens of millions in sponsorship dollars to Armstrong’s teams, and the government may yet try to claw that taxpayer money back.
Our failing USPS gave how much? Oh man...
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 01:41 PM   #131
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I have been watching the Tour De France for the past 20 years. It has until recently always had issues with drug use and cheating. I came to accept that it was a race to find the best cyclist, based on the person, bike, team and use of drugs. Lance Armstrong did not fail any tests at the time. That was at a time when cyclist after cyclist was failing and the culture of doping permeated the sport.

As has been pointed out those who came second are also likely or proven blood dopers. That may well be true for third, fourth and so on. Why not just blank out the results for the whole of the Tour De France for those seven years? And a good few years either side of that.

I think he should keep his titles as he was the best cyclist when faced with lots of competition from many other cyclists including from those who were definitely cheating.
So then you have to reinstate all the titles from all the other athletes who were stripped of theirs. Why is it that Armstrong should get a special pass on wrongdoing?

(Mark Twain)
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 01:42 PM   #132
George152
Master Poster

So those who couldn't beat the man on the track do so through innuendo and he said she said.
The drug tests were all negative
Old 24th August 2012, 01:47 PM   #133
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

The USADA got a lot of new information from the federal investigation. Remember, just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean it isn't against the rules in the Tour. Armstrong isn't being charged with a crime, he is being stripped of the titles he won through cheating.

(Mark Twain)
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 01:50 PM   #134
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by George152 View Post
So those who couldn't beat the man on the track do so through innuendo and he said she said.
No, the drug tests were not all negative. Remember too, according to the rules, blood samples can be held and retested at a later date. They have the results of those later date tests now.

(Mark Twain)
Old 24th August 2012, 02:35 PM   #135
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He said, she said. Not credible.
That depends on the number of his teammates. If it is just one or two, I agree. If it gets into the 7 or 8,then it has to be taken seriously.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 02:36 PM   #136
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by George152 View Post
Uh, there are well developed techniques of being able to beat the drug tests. I give you Barry Bonds in Evidence.............
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 02:38 PM   #137
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have a sick feeling this is going to play out like the Joe Paterno scandal. A lot of his admirers will,intially,deny guilt,scream "Witch Hunt" and "He Was Framed",but as the evidence mounts,there will be a bunch of disillusioned people.
Old 24th August 2012, 02:40 PM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
The USADA got a lot of new information from the federal investigation. Remember, just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean it isn't against the rules in the Tour. Armstrong isn't being charged with a crime, he is being stripped of the titles he won through cheating.
What concerns me is the automatic condeming of all eye witness testimony as "'He Said/She Said". There is some eyewitness testimony that is not very reliable, but other testimony that is pretty damning.
Old 24th August 2012, 02:56 PM   #139
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

There were to be at least ten witnesses if this went to arbitration, which is probably why Armstrong quit.

Not buying your CT.
Sorry Mr Skeptic!

Old 24th August 2012, 03:19 PM   #140
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Why should the titles be redistributed if Armstrong is stripped of them? Just declare the tours as having no winner. There are a whole heap of reasons why the second place getter may have not come second if Armstrong wasn't there.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 03:21 PM   #141
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Not buying your CT.
So if the police got ten people to point the finger at you for murder by telling that if they didn't then it'd be them in the spotlight, or by reducing charges against them, then you really would be guilty?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 03:26 PM   #142
Caper
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have a sick feeling this is going to play out like the Joe Paterno scandal. A lot of his admirers will,intially,deny guilt,scream "Witch Hunt" and "He Was Framed",but as the evidence mounts,there will be a bunch of disillusioned people.
The evidence has already mounted.... it's been around for years.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 03:29 PM   #143
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

What concerns me is the automatic condeming of all eye witness testimony as "'He Said/She Said". There is some eyewitness testimony that is not very reliable, but other testimony that is pretty damning.
More concerning, from a skeptic perspective, is the automatic rejection of evidence, and witnesses, without knowing what it shows, or they say.

Armstrong has the money to fight the charges and has done so up until now. That's the reason this all took so long. How long did the trial take? I don't know but the judge just dismissed it this week and Armstrong didn't waste any time in announcing he wouldn't be fighting the charges anymore.

He knew what the result would be and he knows what evidence they have against him. If it really isn't any good, then it would make sense to fight the charges. Obviously, he knows the evidence is good.

(Mark Twain)
Old 24th August 2012, 03:29 PM   #144
Matthew Best
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
So if the police got ten people to point the finger at you for murder by telling that if they didn't then it'd be them in the spotlight, or by reducing charges against them, then you really would be guilty?
If the police managed to find ten people who know me and who would stand up in court and say they saw me shoot someone, well, let's just say I wouldn't hold out much hope of being acquitted.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 03:31 PM   #145
Matthew Best
Illuminator

Here's a story from last month about one of the people who was probably going to testify against Armstrong:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/sp...pagewanted=all
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 03:32 PM   #146
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If I were guilty, then yes
Old 24th August 2012, 03:36 PM   #147
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. For that reason, like the Paterno threads, I'm gonna exit stage left before it get's really testy around here.

Better for my BP.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:38 PM   #148
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

dopestrong
Old 24th August 2012, 03:59 PM   #149
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
dopestrong
Nike has pledged to support Armstrong 100% and have issued a new corporate logo:

Just Do It!

(Mark Twain)
Old 24th August 2012, 04:00 PM   #150
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Here's a story from last month about one of the people who was probably going to testify against Armstrong:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/sp...pagewanted=all
That's Big George, Lance's long time lieutenant and one of the most respected riders. With this years ride, he has participated in more TDF's than any other person.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 04:05 PM   #151
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Glass. How it was done until the early 70s.
Now that you mention it I do remember seeing those glass IV bottles in old movies. Just for fun I searched and found that they are easily available, it turns out that they're still used for certain meds.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:10 PM   #152
Marcus
Master Poster

Eyewitness testimony is not hearsay. If you testified that someone told you that they say lance doping, that would be hearsay.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:24 PM   #153
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

I'm surprised to see so many Euros and Aussies sticking up for an American that straight-up owned the best your countries could produce for God knows how long.

Seems like you lot should be screaming for his (doped-up) blood, as touchy as you are about getting beat by USAins at things.

Also, his real last name is Gunderson.
Howie Felterbush is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 04:38 PM   #154
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

How down the list of finishers will they have to go to find the first verifiable non-doping rider for any of those years?
Or will it be the 70 guys with the "same time" in the peloton that get the medals, when everyone ahead of the pack has been disqualified?
I Ratant is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 04:44 PM   #155
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
I'm surprised to see so many Euros and Aussies sticking up for an American that straight-up owned the best your countries could produce for God knows how long.

Seems like you lot should be screaming for his (doped-up) blood, as touchy as you are about getting beat by USAins at things.

Also, his real last name is Gunderson.
He didn't beat any of ours, they were all either domestiques or going for the Green Jersey at the time.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 05:05 PM   #156
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
He didn't beat any of ours, they were all either domestiques or going for the Green Jersey at the time.
No Australians in any of the TdF's Gunderson won?

Really? I mean, if you're in the race, and you're from Australia, and Lance Gunderson wins, he beat you, I don't care what color your jersey is. You may be racing for the points, but what everyone wants is the overall win. That's why it's called the overall.

I admit, I don't know or care to know anything about bicycling. Far as I'm concerned, it became irrelevant the minute the motorcycle was invented.
Howie Felterbush is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 05:14 PM   #157
Matthew Best
Illuminator

And yet, here you are.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:22 PM   #158
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
And yet, here you are.
I'm more interested in the apparent vendetta against Gunderson.

Seems to me like he's the kind of cat you'd want to keep around, not hound into worse-than-obscurity. The doping agency either has something solid or they just have a real hard-on for Lance.

More to the point, as Al Pacino said in Glengarry Glen Ross, "What do you ******* care?"
Old 24th August 2012, 06:31 PM   #159
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Calling Lance Armstrong "Gunderson" is like calling Natalie Portman "Herschlag". What's the point? People change their names for a reason. Why not respect it?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 06:33 PM   #160
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Calling Lance Armstrong "Gunderson" is like calling Natalie Portman "Herschlag". What's the point? People change their names for a reason. Why not respect it?
Because "Gunderson" is hilarious and "Armstrong" isn't.

Makes me think of Fargo.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events