ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 28th September 2012, 11:40 AM   #361
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by roger View Post
I'm impressed by Mr. Cook. No wiggling, no 'but we had to do it, it was the only way" and so on, just "we fell short."
Yeah it's about a good a "corporate apology" as you are likely to see. And very nice to see such a change of attitude at the top of company.
Old 28th September 2012, 05:14 PM   #362
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by roger View Post
I'm impressed by Mr. Cook. No wiggling, no 'but we had to do it, it was the only way" and so on, just "we fell short."
I second this.

EDIT: Third this I guess.

Anyone else hearing bad things about battery life?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 07:28 PM   #363
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
The iPhone 5 has several of those things. However, it turns out there's not much wow in 44% better color saturation.

I think we're just going to agree to disagree on this but I will say one more thing -- Apple rarely takes a stab-in-the-dark approach to new features.
Whereas Samsung takes a "throw a bunch of stuff to the wall and see what sticks" approach.
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2012, 05:55 AM   #364
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Dark Lord View Post
That's good. Having glass on the back is freaking stupid.

By a couple percentage points on one benchmark. Means nothing.
Means it's slightly faster on that benchmark.
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2012, 06:02 AM   #365
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It's not something magical. Apple is just buying an off the shelf processor, so will it's competition.
I don't believe this is correct. Apple passed up on several off-the-shelf ARM processors because they didn't fit the requirements of a mobile device. They designed their own chip and Samsung fabricated it.
Old 29th September 2012, 06:05 AM   #366
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
I think a_unique_person was just pointing out how an average person would read "Apple A6 Processor is a Custom Apple Design."

Just your average slightly misleading propaganda headline.

Fans eat it up, and it occasionally sways a consumer.
What part of that headline is inaccurate?
Old 29th September 2012, 06:37 AM   #367
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Let's just hope we get lots of funny stories like this before it's fixed!

Except the iPhans will walk right off that cliff or bridge if Siri tells them to.
Meh. People have been taking wrong turns and hitting buildings because their GPS tells them to for years. It's a human failing, nothing more.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:34 AM   #368
Dan O.
Penultimate Amazing

I just discovered that a couple of locations I had saved in google maps street view had moved a full block away. How could this happen? Google is supposed to be perfect!!!! Now, how can I ever trust Google maps again?!
A text message was found to have been sent at 8:35PM of November 1st by KNOX's number to that of her co-defendant Patrick, in which she wrote "Ci vediamo dopo" ["See you later" or lit: "We'll see each other after"] thus confirming that in the following hours KNOX would find herself with Patrick in the apartment where the victim was. -- Prosecutor Giuliano Mignini (Order for arrests)
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2012, 07:34 AM   #369
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by richardm View Post
Looks like there may be some cosmetic problems with the hardware too, with speculation that Apple might have to do a recall.

It's the same problem that affected some versions of the iPod Nano, apparently. Of course that's less important on a £100 music player than a big, prominent flagship product. Perhaps there's something to be said for polycarbonate after all?
And who is extremetech.com??
Old 29th September 2012, 07:37 AM   #370
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yeah it's about a good a "corporate apology" as you are likely to see. And very nice to see such a change of attitude at the top of company.
Even David Pogue, one of the insiders in journalism that Apple can rely on for a friendly review, said that the Maps app is probably the worst software Apple has ever released. I'll have to dig up the quote.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:41 AM   #371
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
I just discovered that a couple of locations I had saved in google maps street view had moved a full block away. How could this happen? Google is supposed to be perfect!!!! Now, how can I ever trust Google maps again?!
GoogleGate!!
Old 29th September 2012, 07:42 AM   #372
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
...snip...

Anyone else hearing bad things about battery life?
No but a lot of problems with older iPhones and the upgrade to iOS 6, mainly email no longer connecting and calendars duplicating entries. The solution to the email problem seems simply to delete the email account and then add it back.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:50 AM   #373
carlitos
"más divertido"

I just installed iOS6 on my 4G phone. No problems, and I like the VIP email folder.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2012, 08:07 AM   #374
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

No but a lot of problems with older iPhones and the upgrade to iOS 6, mainly email no longer connecting and calendars duplicating entries. The solution to the email problem seems simply to delete the email account and then add it back.
Hmm, I thought the email issue was a one off, as I've only heard it once. On the other hand everyone who got the 5 who I work with has had battery and charging issues. Our demo won't run off the charging cord. That is to say, it discharges faster than the new connector can charge it. I assumed it was the demo mode on the demo...but there isn't one.

Thanks for the email problem fix info. I speculated that could fix it.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2012, 08:08 AM   #375
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
I don't know at what point 'Google Maps is a lot better and more accurate than Apple's new problematic maps' became 'Google Maps is perfect'.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:16 AM   #376
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I don't know at what point 'Google Maps is a lot better and more accurate than Apple's new problematic maps' became 'Google Maps is perfect'.
I think you're missing his sense of humor.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:41 AM   #377
kajata
Master Poster

The annoying thing for me were the duplicate entries after I allowed the system to have Facebook friends merge with my contact list.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 08:17 AM   #378
OnlyTellsTruths

Here's an article with that very theme:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...-maps/1601061/

Quote:
Apple CEO Tim Cook is mapping a new image for the company -- one of a responsible corporate giant that makes mistakes -- in an about-face from the tone formerly set by co-founder Steve Jobs.

Last edited by OnlyTellsTruths; 30th September 2012 at 09:11 AM.
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 08:39 AM   #379
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It's very canny business as well - it's fine being arrogant when you are in an unassailable position, indeed I'd say it can add a certain edge and value to the marketing of a brand but those days for the iPhone have gone. They are still really good phones but there is now nothing unique about Apple's proposition bar the branding, so being perceived as a "friendly" company that can hold its hands up when it screws up makes marketing sense.

Mind you I think that is reading more into it than will have gone on behind the scenes. I speculate that it is in fact down to a difference in personality of the top person, I don't think even his biggest fans would claim that Jobs was a humble person!
Old 30th September 2012, 10:30 AM   #380
OnlyTellsTruths

Here's another article like that one, analyzing the apology and testing the alternative map apps.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/apple-ap...etter-map-app/

Quote:
I don’t think that we’d have ever seen anything like Apple CEO Tim Cook’s letter of apology to his customers in the past. In this extraordinary letter, Cook tells Apple’s customers he’s sorry that the Maps app for iOS 6 didn’t work out as well as it should have.

Then Cook did something even more striking–he recommended that iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch customers download mapping applications such as Microsoft Bing, MapQuest or Waze. He also told users that they could go back to using Google Maps, or they could choose the highly regarded Nokia maps.

I don’t think Steve Jobs would ever have recommended either Microsoft or Google regardless of the reason. But this is yet one more indication that Apple has moved on since Jobs’ death. Tim Cook, unlike the CEOs of many technology companies, appears to have accepted responsibility for a major failing on the part of Apple. For this, Cook is to be commended.

So now the question is just how good are the mapping apps that Cook recommended? Will they get you where you’re going? To find out, I downloaded the apps on the list, and I checked out the Web pages of the mapping sites. The good news? They all work.
It then goes on to talk about how well each one works on the i5. Bing gets that reporter's vote...
Old 30th September 2012, 02:18 PM   #381
The Dark Lord

Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
Means it's slightly faster on that benchmark.
Not even nessesarily that. Benchmarks can vary by that much using the exact same device.
The Dark Lord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 06:38 PM   #382
COGrizzly
Scholar

So, I am due for an upgrade tomorrow. I currently have an Optimus hunk O crap. Sucked to begin with, still sucks.

So do I go with the Iphone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy SIII? I've done some research and it seems the Galaxy is actually better. Here is what I do mostly with my phone.

Text, talk, pictures to FB, search the net.

I don't put music on it, just listen to Pandora. I live in the mountains and we only get 3G. I rarely upgrade any "apps" - but may get into it. I also make love to my phone, so that may be a consideration. Almost never watch anything on it. Pretty basic user.

I figured you all would know better than atvriders or the BFF.

Thanks for your thoughts.
COGrizzly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 06:50 PM   #383
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Well it pretty much comes down to form factor and screen doesn't it? Is bigger more important, or is brighter with more colors? The iPhone does have a better camera, but the SIII has a really nice camera too. Battery life might be a consideration, but it doesn't sound like it.

Have you handled mocks or demo units of them yet? Which feels better in your hand? That is actually a fairly important consideration.
Old 30th September 2012, 07:00 PM   #384
COGrizzly
Scholar

Yep, I like the bigger screen for some reason. Some say it's too big, but I like it. The IPhone is comfortable though as well.

Price is a consideration. From Sprint they are both $199. But I have found a place called Wirefly and the Samsung is $99.
COGrizzly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 07:01 PM   #385
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger

Originally Posted by COGrizzly View Post
So, I am due for an upgrade tomorrow. I currently have an Optimus hunk O crap. Sucked to begin with, still sucks.

So do I go with the Iphone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy SIII? I've done some research and it seems the Galaxy is actually better. Here is what I do mostly with my phone.

I don't put music on it, just listen to Pandora. I live in the mountains and we only get 3G. I rarely upgrade any "apps" - but may get into it. I also make love to my phone, so that may be a consideration. Almost never watch anything on it. Pretty basic user.

If you're in an area where you're subject to power outages or you otherwise spend time away from power source, then I'd say go with the S3. The ability to swap batteries would be the tipping point for me.

Last edited by AJM8125; 30th September 2012 at 07:08 PM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2012, 02:20 PM   #386
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

I have to wonder why noone else has noticed that you said you make love to your phone?!?!?
Old 1st October 2012, 02:27 PM   #387
carlitos
"más divertido"

Despite nearly a minute of trying, I can't find a single parody blues lyric about making love to a phone. I must be having an off day.

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to the new operating system. I really like the new maps. I'm in a rental car and listening to turn-by-turn directions updated on the fly which reminds me why I used to like the Tom Tom when it was new. It also found some restaurants pretty quickly. I figure public transit will be added quickly enough, and I don't use it that much anyway.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2012, 06:48 PM   #388
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I was quite put out after hearing about the Maps debacle. I was toying with the idea of getting a new iPhone primarily to replace my iPod touch (which has long ago run out of memory), and act as a GPS for my new car.

Tip o' the hat to Cook, though. Especially for giving recommendations.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:51 PM   #389
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Et cetera, ceteris paribus.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 1st October 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2012, 09:52 PM   #390
COGrizzly
Scholar

I am a bit of a smart- a$$! I was joking of course. Looking for a bit of humor.

Probably going for the Galaxy 3. I have played around with both units and have found the Galaxy more to my liking.

(Totally open for some more humor with the above sentence!!)
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:56 AM   #391
John Albert
Illuminator

Get the Galaxy Nexus.

The specs are almost as good as the Galaxy S III, and the phone is not tied to any specific carrier so you're getting the full, unadulterated version of Android. Plus you'll get all the updates as soon as Google rolls them out instead of having to wait until your carrier eventually gets around to delivering their own hobbled, bastardized version.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:48 AM   #392
The Dark Lord

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
Get the Galaxy Nexus.

The specs are almost as good as the Galaxy S III, and the phone is not tied to any specific carrier so you're getting the full, unadulterated version of Android. Plus you'll get all the updates as soon as Google rolls them out instead of having to wait until your carrier eventually gets around to delivering their own hobbled, bastardized version.
The Galaxy Nexus has noticeably worse battery life, at least the Verizon version with the LTE radio (because the LTE use a separate chip unlike on the GS3 where it is integrated in the main one). And the camera is on the GS3 is way better. Those are things that can't be fixed. If you want to use standard Android and get updates soon after Google releases them on the GS3, that can be done.
The Dark Lord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:26 AM   #393
John Albert
Illuminator

My Galaxy Nexus runs for 3-4 days without a recharge, and I'm constantly using it to browse the Web, listen to podcasts and streaming audio for several hours a day. In fact, it has the best battery life of any phone I've ever owned.

Then again, I'm not on Verizon.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:52 AM   #394
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
And who is extremetech.com??
They are "an example".
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:07 AM   #395
COGrizzly
Scholar

Still totally up in the air with this decision! In the end, I'll be way happier than I am now with the LG.

One of my co-workers has a Nexus and he was explaining the same thing John Albert was saying.

Cost is certainly a consideration and I can get an Iphone 4 g for 99 bucks. Same with the Galaxy.

I did play with both. The galaxy is big, a little difficult to handle, but the larger screen is easier to text, at least for me.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:11 AM   #396
COGrizzly
Scholar

Still totally up in the air with this decision! In the end, I'll be way happier than I am now with the LG.

One of my co-workers has a Nexus and he was explaining the same thing John Albert was saying.

Cost is certainly a consideration and I can get an Iphone 4 g for 99 bucks. Same with the Galaxy.

I did play with both. The galaxy is big, a little difficult to handle, but the larger screen is easier to text, at least for me.

Whoa! I can get a Iphone 4 for free! Whats the difference between the 4 and 4S?
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:24 AM   #397
carlitos
"más divertido"

Whats the difference between the 4 and 4S?
I think the biggest difference is speech recognition and Siri. I use the speech recognition to compose long emails on the 4S. On the keyboard, there is a little microphone next to the space bar in nearly every application. For me, that's a big difference.

eta - http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-dif...and-iphone-4s/

Last edited by carlitos; 3rd October 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:27 AM   #398
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

The major points for most people are that the 4S has a faster processor, Siri (voice commands/voice assistant), and a much improved camera. Basically if Siri and the camera aren't worth it for you, then the 4S isn't that much ahead of the 4.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:46 AM   #399
Dan O.
Penultimate Amazing

Whoa! I can get a Iphone 4 for free!
TANSTAAFL.

That is not the real cost of the phone if you have to pay for a long term service contract along with it. What is the replacement cost if you were to loose that phone? What is the penalty to terminate the contract early? If you cannot answer those questions you shouldn't be entering the contract.

Here is an Early Termination Fee Calculator for major US carriers. Use this as an estimate. The actual fees will be spelled out in your contract (assuming you will even be able to read the contract before signing it).
A text message was found to have been sent at 8:35PM of November 1st by KNOX's number to that of her co-defendant Patrick, in which she wrote "Ci vediamo dopo" ["See you later" or lit: "We'll see each other after"] thus confirming that in the following hours KNOX would find herself with Patrick in the apartment where the victim was. -- Prosecutor Giuliano Mignini (Order for arrests)
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:54 AM   #400
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

When you buy an older phone you help subsidize the cost of the people buying the new models. After all, you're not getting a discount on your service for buying an older phone, are you?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet