ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 13th September 2012, 09:23 AM   #81
kajata
Master Poster

Originally Posted by merentha View Post
NFC isn't limited to payment. Programmable NFC tags can be really useful. E.g. tap a tag in your car to instantly switch the phone to handsfree mode + turn on GPS without flipping through the screen menu, or switch to music player mode on the fly. Any bets that if this feature is introduced in the iPhone 5S, the Apple faithfuls will think it's the best thing since sliced bread and that it's all thanks to Apple "innovation"?
I think Apple has already committed to Siri for using the iPhone in the car. They've struck deals with several car manufacturers to put a Siri button on the steering wheel. Phone stays in pocket or mounted and driver presses steering wheel button and asks for directions, dialing numbers, play songs , etc.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 09:43 AM   #82
merentha
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by kajata View Post
I think Apple has already committed to Siri for using the iPhone in the car. They've struck deals with several car manufacturers to put a Siri button on the steering wheel. Phone stays in pocket or mounted and driver presses steering wheel button and asks for directions, dialing numbers, play songs , etc.
Why talk so much when all you need is a light tap and half those stuff gets done? Plus not only is one tied to Apple's iTunes walled garden, one's choice of car is also limited if one needs the convenience of Siri?
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 09:54 AM   #83
chulbert
Muse

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
From what I understand, Apple plans to introduce "self checkout" in their own stores. No additional hardware required: Use the camera to scan the barcode on the product, and send payment information to Apple, who have the customer's credit card info on file.

No reason to extend that to other stores as well. Of course, it means Apple's in the loop for all payments, but I guess there's a way around that.

From Apple's point of view: Why invest in R&D for NFC to make it safe and reliable when you already have a safe and reliable equivalent function on hand that just needs to be licensed and contracted?
I don't think it's a matter of investment. It's the fact the entire process behind the terminal is beyond their control.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 09:59 AM   #84
kajata
Master Poster

Why talk so much when all you need is a light tap and half those stuff gets done? Plus not only is one tied to Apple's iTunes walled garden, one's choice of car is also limited if one needs the convenience of Siri?
So if you need directions how is just a light tap going to pull them up for you? Or select the song you want to hear? Or dial a particular phone number?

And if the car you own doesn't have a Siri button (mine doesn't and I won't be buying a new car in the next few years) I grab it from the cup holder, press the home button and tell Siri what I want.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 10:05 AM   #85
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

And what do you know ... People are really happy about the new iPhone 5. Much faster, much better!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Well, except for that little pesky fact they they don't really know what they are looking at. Some even have the old iPhone in the other hand while checking out the "new iPhone 5", and still they don't notice.

Hilarious!

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 11:55 AM   #86
Aidoneus
Thinker

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
What's wrong with the Galaxy S III? Too big?
Partially that, but I used a Galaxy Nexus for a few months, and was very unimpressed with the build quality- primarily the battery cover. It was a cheap, thin piece of not-very-nice-feeling plastic which I could never get to fully stay put on the phone; at least two of the 'pegs' would always be out of their sockets.

Rather turned me off the idea of Samsung smartphones. I much prefer the 'unibody' backplates of the One X, Lumia line and iPhone. I've got no need for a removable battery, so that's not a problem for me.
Aidoneus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 02:17 PM   #87
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
I just read that. I saw the adapter, but didn't read into what the limitations were. I agree, this is definitely in "forced upgrade" territory, and there will be a (very understandable) backlash as a result. If I had a bunch of accessories that used A/V out, I'd be pretty torqued!
Why? Your (3rd person) current phone and equipment still works, the new release doesn't render them retrospectively obsolete! If the new phone has something you want enough then you'll buy it, if it doesn't you won't.
Old 13th September 2012, 02:20 PM   #88
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
In the other side, they give you streaming video mirroring so it can perform the same function without tying the phone down.

Will it be possible to create a app to turn the old iPhone into an apple tv like device? Then you could stream content from the new phone through the old phone and onto the video dock thing.
But it's not just a matter if it is possible, it's if it is possible and will Apple allow such an app?
Old 13th September 2012, 02:47 PM   #89
kajata
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
But it's not just a matter if it is possible, it's if it is possible and will Apple allow such an app?
Since Dan is interested in buying the new iphone it seems like it would be easier to sell the old iPhone on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks and just buy a new Apple TV for 99 dollars and have plenty of money leftover.
Old 13th September 2012, 02:51 PM   #90
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

Since Dan is interested in buying the new iphone it seems like it would be easier to sell the old iPhone on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks and just buy a new Apple TV for 99 dollars and have plenty of money leftover.
$35 raspberry pie running XBMC supports air play
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 03:39 PM   #91
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

At the last analysis people buy them.
Old 13th September 2012, 03:51 PM   #92
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Meh.

When someone complains about 'swappable batteries' an I ask them about their own phone/laptop and how many extra batteries they carry, the answer has always been zero.
I dont want to carry one around with me, I want to replace an old battery when the need arises.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 04:00 PM   #93
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/app...ip-in-october/

So, no video or audio out with the expensive little adapter, thus rendering all those audio/media systems with iPod docks obsolete.

Time to buy new players fanboys! The Apple taxman keeps asking for more, more, more.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 04:04 PM   #94
Furcifer
miscreant

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
But still no swappable battery or memory card slot. Inexcusable.
+1

I'll get an S3 simply because I know Apple is padding their coffers with integrated memory at x10 the going rate. At this point doesn't it amount to "We know people are sheep, we'll refuse to implement technology that's 5 years old because we can, and the consumer won't say a damn thing".

eta: I disagree with you about the battery though. The lifespan of a phone seems to be about 3 years, the battery should last that long anyways. By "should" I mean warrantied to hold 80% capacity or something for 3 years. There's no need to have a battery as a "consumable" IMO. Plus the back on my current phone keeps falling off because the plastic is fatigued. It's a pain. Less openings are better for me.

Last edited by Furcifer; 13th September 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 04:12 PM   #95
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

My disappointment is in the storage capacity of the iPhone/iPod Touch. But this seems to more of a limit for the industry with flash memory.

But I'm not seeing the big deal with accessories. When I got a new Playstation previous controllers and memory cards no longer fit. That's the cost of upgrading technology.

No audio/video out I think is an important enough change to be a separate issue.

Someone referred to thinness and screensize as Samsung innovations. That is just a continuation of what Apple has been doing with the iX line, including the iMac. Personally, they've long reached the point where I'd prefer they tried to stick in more memory or something over less space.

The EarPods, though horribly named, look interesting. I know audiophiles hate the standard ones, so I want to see their reaction now .
Old 13th September 2012, 04:15 PM   #96
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Furcifer View Post
+1

I'll get an S3 simply because I know Apple is padding their coffers with integrated memory at x10 the going rate. At this point doesn't it amount to "We know people are sheep, we'll refuse to implement technology that's 5 years old because we can, and the consumer won't say a damn thing".

eta: I disagree with you about the battery though. The lifespan of a phone seems to be about 3 years, the battery should last that long anyways. By "should" I mean warrantied to hold 80% capacity or something for 3 years. There's no need to have a battery as a "consumable" IMO. Plus the back on my current phone keeps falling off because the plastic is fatigued. It's a pain. Less openings are better for me.
It probably has more to do with space than some evil conspiracy. I'm not sure why people pick one or two features and say it is a failure for not including them. Pretty much every phone is missing some feature from other phones, and hopefully have some that others don't. That is kinda the point of the market and consumer decision.
Old 13th September 2012, 04:43 PM   #97
kajata
Master Poster

Time to buy new players fanboys! The Apple taxman keeps asking for more, more, more.
Your silly reactions would make one think you've never heard of technology changing. Again, they kept the same connector for 9 years. The new connector allows them to make thinner devices. It's a trade off but I think most consumers would be okay with it.
Old 13th September 2012, 04:46 PM   #98
Aidoneus
Thinker

It has A/V out.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/33...-coming-months
Aidoneus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 04:57 PM   #99
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
Now they are making you buy an adapter! Those sneaky bastards, updating their nine-year-old tech...
Old 13th September 2012, 05:03 PM   #100
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Furcifer View Post
+1

Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 ? It aint just apple.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 05:05 PM   #101
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

I dont want to carry one around with me, I want to replace an old battery when the need arises.
Great. Pay the $75 and have apple do it. Pay much less and do it yourself if you are handy.

It can be done. If you think it's not worth the extra money, that's fine. It's a trade-off.
Old 13th September 2012, 05:24 PM   #102
quadraginta
What was the question?

I was referring to people I know IRL. But as I said in that thread,
People who need extra batteries, swap SD cards, root/jailbreak thier phones, etc are the exception, not the rule.

Yes. As I said. Less emphatic.

Quote:

I don't see why something like this, Stitchway UltraPower 1900 mAh Backup Battery Charger for iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4G, iPod, and iPod touch - External, Portable, Rechargeable (Black) isn't pretty much functionally equivalent. It's small, portable and cheap. I think that makes the non-removable battery a non-issue for those few folks who feel the need to have spare batteries.

A device which gets over 300 one star ratings out of 1000 customer reviews on Amazon is not going to envelop me with any sense of security. A couple of spare OEM batteries at roughly the same price per piece OTOH ...

There really isn't any very good reason to have a phone battery be non-removable in the first place, except to force the consumer into a manufacturer maintenance/replacement chain. Batteries go belly up all the time, both through QC issues and normal usage. If you've got one or two spares anyhow then it's no big deal. If the little beast is sewn into the gizmo then you're stuck with a visit to the repair guy.

No thanks.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:22 PM   #103
merentha
Critical Thinker

So if you need directions how is just a light tap going to pull them up for you? Or select the song you want to hear? Or dial a particular phone number?

And if the car you own doesn't have a Siri button (mine doesn't and I won't be buying a new car in the next few years) I grab it from the cup holder, press the home button and tell Siri what I want.
NFC tags isn't there to replace Siri, but to automate stuff that should be automated. This article probably explains it better.
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:26 PM   #104
Dan O.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yes. As I said. Less emphatic.

A couple of spare OEM batteries at roughly the same price per piece OTOH ...

I take it that the $4.34 price is just a glitch on Amazon's site.
A text message was found to have been sent at 8:35PM of November 1st by KNOX's number to that of her co-defendant Patrick, in which she wrote "Ci vediamo dopo" ["See you later" or lit: "We'll see each other after"] thus confirming that in the following hours KNOX would find herself with Patrick in the apartment where the victim was. -- Prosecutor Giuliano Mignini (Order for arrests)
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:36 PM   #105
Furcifer
miscreant

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
It probably has more to do with space than some evil conspiracy. I'm not sure why people pick one or two features and say it is a failure for not including them. Pretty much every phone is missing some feature from other phones, and hopefully have some that others don't. That is kinda the point of the market and consumer decision.
I quite literally don't buy that. Even if you did, explain how I can buy micro SD for about .50/Gb retail and Apple is charging about $5? They're using "different" memory? Maybe, but why would it be "different"? Size again? I find that hard to believe considering how small it is to begin with. Maybe it's "better" than class 10 micro in terms of performance? I doubt it considering it seems to be good enough for every other manufacturer.

IMO there's a serious loss of functionality going with integrated memory. That and wifi were the big considerations for me when I bought my current phone 3 years ago. Considering how Apple seems to pride itself on being on the "cutting edge" I really think they missed the boat here. I could be mistaken though, perhaps people don't use their phones the way I do.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:43 PM   #106
Furcifer
miscreant

Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 ? It aint just apple.
I'm sure they all do, certainly. That being said, does the Nexus or the 7 come in (or more accurately was it released with) different memory sizes? I don't recall seeing the Nexus coming in 8Gb and 16Gb versions from launch.
Old 13th September 2012, 07:27 PM   #107
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Now they are making you buy an adapter! Those sneaky bastards, updating their nine-year-old tech...
Odd, everyone else has been using the old standard tech without problems. 1/8" stereo jacks have been around for decades, USB plugs of various types since 1994.

But Apple likes to have proprietary interfaces, not because theirs are any better but because they can charge the rubes more money.
Old 13th September 2012, 07:28 PM   #108
kajata
Master Poster

NFC tags isn't there to replace Siri, but to automate stuff that should be automated. This article probably explains it better.
OK, read the article. So if I tap my phone to my dash or wherever my phone is now in car mode. That's great. But if you want to do anything else you have to interact with the phone somehow. I suggested iPhone users "talk" to Siri. You said why all that talking when you can tap. Tapping will do hardly anything that Siri or the similar tech in Android phones will allow you to do while in the car.
Old 13th September 2012, 07:29 PM   #109
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Great. Pay the $75 and have apple do it. Pay much less and do it yourself if you are handy.

It can be done. If you think it's not worth the extra money, that's fine. It's a trade-off.
For half of that (at least) I can change the battery on my S3 without any tools at all. In fact, everyone who has one has already installed the battery themselves because it doesn't ship with the battery installed.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:00 PM   #110
kajata
Master Poster

Odd, everyone else has been using the old standard tech without problems. 1/8" stereo jacks have been around for decades, USB plugs of various types since 1994.
"USB plugs of various types since 1994"? You mean they haven't used just one style of plug all that time?!
Old 13th September 2012, 08:05 PM   #111
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

"USB plugs of various types since 1994"? You mean they haven't used just one style of plug all that time?!
You can buy most any adapter you need, and for $5 or so since it's all non-proprietary standard interfaces.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:14 PM   #112
OnlyTellsTruths

2nd level quotes don't appear in responses.

The first time you dishonestly snipped my post to remove the relevant 2nd part. That is quite clear to anyone that reads my first response to you in this thread.

The second time you chose to not include the quote. Just because it doesn't automagically do it for you does not mean it is hard. The telling part was when you accused me of not posting "'actual facts and figures". You cant blame missing that on the forum.

Please elaborate. You claim apple has only 12million active devices but my post is a fail ?
In the USA. It was quite clear. I doubt anyone thought I meant worldwide except for you.

So what did you do? You flailed, grasped at strawmen, and moved the goalposts.

Everyone can go to that thread to see my response.

I think the main point is, that I was being quite optimistic about Apple in this thread. Yet you had blinders on and couldn't even see it.

Last edited by OnlyTellsTruths; 13th September 2012 at 08:27 PM.
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:18 PM   #113
kajata
Master Poster

You can buy most any adapter you need, and for $5 or so since it's all non-proprietary standard interfaces.
Apple's dock connector does a lot more than USB.

This is a good article that explains it all...

http://www.cultofmac.com/178093/the-...ector-feature/
Old 13th September 2012, 08:32 PM   #114
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
Why anybody would compare the number of physical devices by a single manufacturer to the number of operating system installs across multiple manufacturers is not clear to me.
You do realize that at least half of the Android phones are Samsung right?

Quote:
More specifically, IDC pegged Android's gain "directly" to Samsung, which represented 44% of all Android phones shipped during the quarter.
So even by your logic, the 3 or 4 top Samsung phones have about 30%, compared to Apples 3 or 4 top phones at 17%.

Sorry!
Old 13th September 2012, 08:35 PM   #115
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
Another metric: According to NetMarketShare*, iOS has a 65% share of mobile internet traffic, vs. 21% for Android. It seems that Android owners don't use their phones and tablets for much web browsing....

Notice how you say "mobile" only at first but then later you and your link say the stats are for "mobile & tablets"....

We're talking about phones only...

Last edited by OnlyTellsTruths; 13th September 2012 at 08:36 PM.
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:41 PM   #116
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I'm disappointed in this release. Everything on it was something that was badly needed to ketch up, but like others have said, no wow. The better 16:9 support helps, and the fact that the larger screen still has the same pixel density is a plus. But really, thinner, faster, slightly bigger. Unless the OS changes have something then the only reason to get an iPhone5 is if you already have an iPhone.

I'm going to have people pissed at me because they waited, and have trouble keeping the 4 and 4s in. We just sold the last 3GS a week ago, and I'm afraid people will be wanting it again too.

What could they have put in for a 'wow' factor? A screen with better pixel density maybe instead of one 30% thinner? Already I've been asked it it will be easier to break. A projected keyboard? A different form factor that actually helped? Stereo cameras with cool integrated software? Twenty hours of battery power? Hell, I don't know. Then again, I only sell the things and am not several teams of highly trained, experienced, and paid developers.

The 4S was labeled an incremental improvement hold over, and it had more wow with the nicer camera and Siri than the 5 does. Oh it will sell ever well, there is a pent up consumer base to feed. But I just can't get excited.

Not for this phone anyway. I can't wait for the Note 2.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:41 PM   #117
OnlyTellsTruths

Someone referred to thinness and screensize as Samsung innovations. That is just a continuation of what Apple has been doing with the iX line, including the iMac.

OH please. It's a continuation of what has been happening in electronics for over 50 years. To attribute that to Apple and iMacs is just....... ugh.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:46 PM   #118
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
Read your link again. The adapter does not have A/V out. They are talking about the new HDMI cable not the adapter.

From your own link:

Quote:
Originally, the fact that the $29 Lightning to 30-pin adapter doesn't support video output led to worries that the Lightning connector itself was to blame,
Again, it is just clearing up worries that ALL cables will not have A/V. Like the adapter.

Here's a link to the post back on page 2 with the info:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...44#post8614444

Does anyone seriously think that Apple could not have made Video 100% compatible with the adapter?

They did this for forced upgrade reasons entirely. And they are still charging $30 for the thing!

Last edited by OnlyTellsTruths; 13th September 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:52 PM   #119
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
OH please. It's a continuation of what has been happening in electronics for over 50 years. To attribute that to Apple and iMacs is just....... ugh.
It's also crazy to attribute them to Samsung no?

But what I think was being referred to was that on cell phones, a large screen with a thin profile was an 'innovation' of Samsung. Well, it isn't really. What it is however is a direction and philosophy of cell phone design that Apple was very much against, and had to be drug kicking and screaming into. They insisted that changing the screen size would be the wrong thing to do, and by they I mean Jobs specifically if I remember correctly. Hell, many Apple fans, if not the company itself, mocked larger phones.

But larger phones sold, and sold well. People found that the bigger sizes worked better for most people, which is why the iPhone 4 and especially the 4S is smaller than most of their contemporary 'high end' smartphone brethren.

There were of course dirty little design reasons why a larger screen was problematic. iOS didn't have scaling built in very well. It couldn't do different screen sizes without a lot of tweaking. This had some advantages sure, but it became a liability when people wanted versatility.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:53 PM   #120
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Apple's dock connector does a lot more than USB.

This is a good article that explains it all...

http://www.cultofmac.com/178093/the-...ector-feature/
"By switching to a proprietary Dock Connector, Apple could not only allow accessory makers to easily make their devices communicate with an iPod without drivers, they could also launch a profitable “Made for iPod” licensing business."

Ah yes, the primary extra thing it does is make more money for Apple. But I already said that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet