ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Scopedog
Muse

Debunking Ancient Aliens

This three hours video was released a couple of days ago. I've only started watching but it seems to be a pretty thorough (arguably unnecessary) debunking of every claim made by Ancient Aliens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuZmhb5yrsI

Ironically, despite the heavy skepticism and insight of the video above, the maker, Chris White, appears to believe in a biblical global flood. Go figure.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

I am not 100% surprised. I have seen a lot of believer in one woo *excel* truly at debunking other "concurrent" woo.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 12:08 PM   #3
MG1962

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post

Ironically, despite the heavy skepticism and insight of the video above, the maker, Chris White, appears to believe in a biblical global flood. Go figure.
Well there is infinitely more evidence for the flood than ancient aliens
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Well there is infinitely more evidence for the flood than ancient aliens
How so?
Old 30th September 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Lanzy
Muse

Yep, something that really needed debunking.
Lanzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 12:25 PM   #6
MG1962

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
How so?
Just so we clear the air - I was being tongue in cheek with the remark

But lets look at the evidence and my statement - There is a single reference to the Flood in the Bible. In all the texts writings etc there is zero mention of aliens, spaceships etc etc. So I contend 1 is infinitely larger than zero

But back to the documentary - I have to say these guys annoy me. I have always wondered how the Romans moved such big blocks. Oh they jacked them up built wheels around the ends and rolled them

Like thats it Thats the big secret lol
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 12:25 PM   #7
ehcks
Illuminator

How so?
Floods actually happen.
Old 30th September 2012, 12:44 PM   #8
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Just so we clear the air - I was being tongue in cheek with the remark

Yeah, I figured it must have been a Poe.

I blame it on responding too quickly from my phone. Sorry for the derail.

Ancient aliens... uhm... yeah. Don't think I need to spend three hours learning how to debunk them.
Old 30th September 2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Correa Neto
Philosopher

You know, the stooopid is strong with the people who believe in that crap.

Saw one episode where the guy with the weird hair claimed Excalibur used some alien DNA recognition technology. If you believe in such a thing, you are probably a lost case.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Why only ancient aliens?

The modern ones don't have anything going for them either.
Old 30th September 2012, 05:10 PM   #11
MG1962

Yeah, I figured it must have been a Poe.

I blame it on responding too quickly from my phone. Sorry for the derail.

Ancient aliens... uhm... yeah. Don't think I need to spend three hours learning how to debunk them.
No need to explain - as to the doco, it is actually very well done. The guy gives a lot of interesting background to the particular cultures
Old 30th September 2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
Why only ancient aliens?
Why not? Should we just give up and quit challenging pseudoscience and woo?
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 05:43 PM   #13
Scopedog
Muse

No need to explain - as to the doco, it is actually very well done. The guy gives a lot of interesting background to the particular cultures
I've seen two hours of it and I'm extremely impressed. I think it would be very effective in swaying casual believers. It's got links to the specific segments so they don't even have to watch the whole thing.
Old 30th September 2012, 05:44 PM   #14
MG1962

Well for mine the major difference is there is nothing expressly excluding aliens visiting the planet and potentially making contact. On the other hand it is demonstrable that aliens were not needed to erect Stone Henge
Old 30th September 2012, 05:46 PM   #15
MG1962

I've seen two hours of it and I'm extremely impressed. I think it would be very effective in swaying casual believers. It's got links to the specific segments so they don't even have to watch the whole thing.
I have it saved to favorites - I can think of many threads here where this doco would have killed the thread cold
Old 30th September 2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Scopedog
Muse

Well for mine the major difference is there is nothing expressly excluding aliens visiting the planet and potentially making contact. On the other hand it is demonstrable that aliens were not needed to erect Stone Henge
I'm referring to challenging the dishonesty and often outright fraud perpetrated by the TV show Ancient Aliens. Just because the show is dumb and doesn't deserve any attention doesn't diminish the accomplishment of debunking it in such a concise and effective form. This video is excellent for addressing the pseudo-scientific and woo claims made on the show. I commend the creator of the video for committing himself to this project.

Except for 2:17:33: "Nookyooler"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Edit: For the record although I believe there is abundant life throughout the universe I don't believe that extra-terrestrials have ever visited Earth. Not because its impossible but because its improbable in the astronomical extreme (literally) and there is simply no credible evidence of it ever happening.

Last edited by Scopedog; 30th September 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 30th September 2012, 06:12 PM   #17
Chris L
Graduate Poster

I have it saved to favorites - I can think of many threads here where this doco would have killed the thread cold
I can think of a number of careers it could have killed cold as well.
Old 30th September 2012, 06:20 PM   #18
Scopedog
Muse

This one for example:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=237442
Old 30th September 2012, 06:21 PM   #19
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I watched that program about how the pyramids were built i think it was a few years back, i thought that was an excellent explanation and has a lot of what looks to be solid evidence to back it up, as for the flood, i have always favored the theory about the black sea spilling over.

Tim
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 06:29 PM   #20
MG1962

That was exactly the thread I was thinking about lol
Old 30th September 2012, 06:51 PM   #21
MG1962

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake View Post
I watched that program about how the pyramids were built i think it was a few years back, i thought that was an excellent explanation and has a lot of what looks to be solid evidence to back it up, as for the flood, i have always favored the theory about the black sea spilling over.

Tim
And just how elegant is that pyramid theory. It's simplicity is a real strength.

So how did they arrange a million blocks with such precision. Well ya see they didn't. They built the casing to mathematical precision and then filled in the hole
Old 30th September 2012, 07:09 PM   #22
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

That is pretty good but there are the ramps inside that show wear and use for something.

I sure as hell don't think those skinny little undernourished gray dudes could help them out. lol

Tim
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 08:04 PM   #23
MG1962

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake View Post
That is pretty good but there are the ramps inside that show wear and use for something.

I sure as hell don't think those skinny little undernourished gray dudes could help them out. lol

Tim
Levitation marks?
Old 30th September 2012, 08:07 PM   #24
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Is that really the only option you can think of?

Debunk the claim that aliens (ancient and modern) have visited this planet and you don't have to explain how they couldn't have built pyramids.

But thanks for your knee jerk reaction there... with the emphasis on 'jerk'.
Old 30th September 2012, 09:10 PM   #25
Scopedog
Muse

Debunk the claim that aliens (ancient and modern) have visited this planet and you don't have to explain how they couldn't have built pyramids.

What are you talking about? The video I linked to is about a dreadful History Channel TV show called Ancient Aliens. It keenly and overwhelmingly debunks specific claims made on the show. Its a valid and worthy and admirable effort. Feel free to debunk or not debunk or partially debunk whatever you want.
Old 30th September 2012, 09:17 PM   #26
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Suddenly ! i find myself in the Sarcasm thread ~~ LOL

Tim
Old 30th September 2012, 09:23 PM   #27
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

While I didn't originally intend to, you guys convinced me it was worth taking a look.

I've watched about 1 1/2 hours and must say I agree that so far it is generally a very good, thorough and well-sourced documentary.

Not sure it would have "killed threads cold," but it certainly seems to be a useful tool in the ancient aliens debunking arsenal, especially for casual observers who aren't completely set in their wooish beliefs.

I have no idea if the filmmaker's motivations are in any way related to his religious beliefs, but as long as he keeps those out of the film, I don't have a problem.

I wonder if the Ancient Aliens show is going to respond at all... There should be some kind of campaign to have this aired on History Channel.
Old 30th September 2012, 09:43 PM   #28
Scopedog
Muse

I have no idea if the filmmaker's motivations are in any way related to his religious beliefs, but as long as he keeps those out of the film, I don't have a problem.
His flood beliefs are introduced in the section on Anunnaki near the end of the video. Its pretty transparent and silly. He has blinders on for the bible even though the flood evidence and theories are no better than the BS from Ancient Aliens. It reminds me of the criticisms from Christian figures regarding the coptic scroll that mentions Jesus having a wife. Every valid criticism of the Jesus' wife scroll (ie. the scroll is ancient fan fiction or an ancient political ploy) equally applies to every chapter of the bible.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:02 PM   #29
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

His flood beliefs are introduced in the section on Anunnaki near the end of the video. Its pretty transparent and silly. He has blinders on for the bible even though the flood evidence and theories are no better than the BS from Ancient Aliens.

Ah, that is too bad! I think it really damages his credibility--substituting one version of woo with another.

Can we get a version with the religious crap edited out?
Old 1st October 2012, 12:19 AM   #30
23_Tauri
Illuminator

What are you talking about? The video I linked to is about a dreadful History Channel TV show called Ancient Aliens. It keenly and overwhelmingly debunks specific claims made on the show. Its a valid and worthy and admirable effort. Feel free to debunk or not debunk or partially debunk whatever you want.
I think it was was humour bypass to which Stray Cat was referring, Scopedog, and seeing your reaction it looks like he had a point.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:21 AM   #31
kblood
Banned

fantalastic idea. Please do try. I challenge thee!
kblood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2012, 06:59 PM   #32
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by 23_Tauri View Post
I think it was was humour bypass to which Stray Cat was referring, Scopedog, and seeing your reaction it looks like he had a point.
Oh, is that what it was was?
Old 1st October 2012, 10:46 PM   #33
HotNostril
Thinker

I DVR every episode of ancient aliens! I like to play a little game with myself when I can't sleep. I turn It on, get comfortable and close my eyes. Everytime someone says, "what if" , " perhaps" and "quite possibly" I reply ....in my head of course...." Monkeys will fly outta my butt"

It's more entertaining than counting sheep and I have never made it past 25 minutes without falling asleep
HotNostril is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2012, 10:52 PM   #34
HotNostril
Thinker

Oh, is that what it was was?
I DVR every episode of ancient aliens! I like to play a little game with myself when I can't sleep. I turn It on, get comfortable and close my eyes. Everytime someone says, "what if" , " perhaps" and "quite possibly" I reply ....in my head of course...." Monkeys will fly outta my butt"

It's more entertaining than counting sheep and I have never made it past 25 minutes without falling asleep
HotNostril is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:41 AM   #35
Cheesy One
Scholar

Certainly a show that makes many large presumptions and sees aliens everywhere it looks. Upon realizing the backgrounds of some of the regular speakers on it didn't help it either.
Cheesy One is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:05 AM   #36
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Makes you wonder.... Lets say the aliens live sufficiently far away that they can only visit every 3000 years or so....
Wouldn't they get all cheesed off about how we've been treating their keen stuff?

"Look what you did to our pyramids, you cretins! And you can hardly even read the Nazca lines any more. Boy, do something nice for primitives and what thanks do you get?"
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:17 AM   #37
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by HotNostril View Post

Originally Posted by HotNostril View Post

Double post is evidence of aliens.

Last edited by CynicalSkeptic; 2nd October 2012 at 07:27 AM.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:37 PM   #38
HotNostril
Thinker

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
Double post is evidence of aliens.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gK2BnYU_Ae...iens-thumb.jpg
Lol ! His hair is also evidence of aliens.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:51 PM   #39
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Makes you wonder.... Lets say the aliens live sufficiently far away that they can only visit every 3000 years or so....
Wouldn't they get all cheesed off about how we've been treating their keen stuff?

"Look what you did to our pyramids, you cretins! And you can hardly even read the Nazca lines any more. Boy, do something nice for primitives and what thanks do you get?"
I have this theory that I have that is mine.
It's every 3600 years, when Nibaru makes its pass through the Solar System.
The Nibaruians fly here in their water-soluble space ships and land and build things like pyramids and henges, but find their space ships have dissolved in our wet atmosphere, so they're stranded here, and can't get back to Nibaru which is sailing out of the Solar System and beyond their reach.
As there is no debris from these space ships, it all having washed away... there's no way to disprove this theory I have that is mine.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2012, 10:00 AM   #40
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
You know, the stooopid is strong with the people who believe in that crap.

Saw one episode where the guy with the weird hair claimed Excalibur used some alien DNA recognition technology. If you believe in such a thing, you are probably a lost case.
I think the weird hair guy is milking this gig for all he can get.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal