ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th October 2012, 06:58 AM   #1
andyandy
anthropomorphic ape

Chi to put animals to sleep

Ok - just watched Stan Lee's Superhumans - this chap was pretty remarkable....

A Japanese man who claimed he could put animals to sleep through "chi" - I'm wondering what rational explanation could be offered instead of "chi" for this remarkable feat....

For the program the man who already has a reputation for doing this was flown to America, and then was taken to 2 random groups of animals (llama and bison), and watched by animal experts monitoring animal behaviour. Both times all the animals lie down, to the amazement of the watching experts.

This is the stan lee clip (only in spanish)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This is another Japanese tv clip (in Japanese
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Taking faking off the table, you've got:

1) remarkable co-incidence - ie repeated abnormal animal behaviour
2) some non chi-related mechanism

....or something paranormal....

what do people reckon is the most likely explanation....

Discuss
Old 9th October 2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Beelzebuddy
Master Poster

I have a superpower: I can make random dogs sit down with a probability greater than chance just by uttering the word "sit."

Why is faking off the table, though?
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 08:20 AM   #3
phunk
Master Poster

The shadows change significantly during the filming, it took a lot longer than what is shown. He just made his funny hand gestures and waited till they sat down on their own, then edited it down to a minute or two.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by andyandy View Post
Animals resting and dozing in the heat of the day is abnormal?

Quote:
They fancied a lie down.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Turgor
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
Animals resting and dozing in the heat of the day is abnormal?
Ruminant animals no less. Those tend to wander around for a bit while they graze, then lie down for a bit while they ruminate.
Turgor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 09:04 AM   #6
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Turgor View Post
Those tend to wander around for a bit while they graze, then lie down for a bit while they ruminate.
Even I do that in summer (not eating grass though).
Old 9th October 2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Turgor
Critical Thinker

Have you ever noticed a Japanese man waving his chi at you just before you had a lie down?
Turgor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Turgor
Critical Thinker

I requested for the thread to be moved to General Skepticism btw, since this topic has nothing to do with science.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:37 PM   #9
malicus
Graduate Poster

Putting animals to sleep?

Mmmm......this guy could save me a few quid in consumables. Dogdoctor, you in for some cost savings too?
malicus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Trish Randall
Thinker

WHen I saw the title, I was thinking "put to sleep" as in euthanasia & figured if you want long enough, the animal will die & chi can be credited/blamed...
Trish Randall is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 12:41 PM   #11
phunk
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trish Randall View Post
WHen I saw the title, I was thinking "put to sleep" as in euthanasia & figured if you want long enough, the animal will die & chi can be credited/blamed...
That's pretty much what they did, but for the non-euphemistic meaning of sleep.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Turgor
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
That's pretty much what they did, but for the non-euphemistic meaning of sleep.
Not even for the non-euphemistic meaning of sleep. They just waited for the animals to lie down. They weren't even asleep.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:45 PM   #13
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

A Japanese man who claimed he could put animals to sleep through "chi" - I'm wondering what rational explanation could be offered instead of "chi" for this remarkable feat....

For the program the man who already has a reputation for doing this was flown to America, and then was taken to 2 random groups of animals (llama and bison), and watched by animal experts monitoring animal behaviour. Both times all the animals lie down, to the amazement of the watching experts.

I AGREE
Actually, it's in Portugese.

Quote:
I AGREE

Discuss
Ehr, well. I once saw, on TV, a big T Rex dinosaur attacking some people in a Jeep. Do we conclude that dinosaurs still exist?

You can do anything on video.

Hans
Old 9th October 2012, 02:04 PM   #14
andyandy
anthropomorphic ape

It's a shame none of the commentary is in English because they have a vet plus animal experts saying very clearly that this is very abnormal behaviour. They all say they have never seen anything like it before.

Now perhaps they are wrong - but i'm not seeing much animal expert rebuttal beyond "duh, animals lie down...." which is hardly in depth behavioural analysis.

The comment about the shadows is more interesting - if he was standing there for an hour that is less impressive than if it was for a few minutes.

So, either the experts on the show are wrong, there was a lot of cut and pasting on the editing floor or something else is going on. When he started waving his hands I half thought of hypnosis - as far as I'm aware you can't hypnotise animals - though I would be interested to see if this has been tried. Alternatively is there any high / low pitch sound that would cause animals to lie down in distress? He could have some secret pocket device I suppose....
Old 9th October 2012, 02:20 PM   #15
sophia8
Master Poster

They all say they have never seen anything like it before.
"We have never seen a Japanese guy waving his hands at a herd of bison before."
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 09:04 PM   #16
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvwHxn_ziD4

Old bushman's trick...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 09:12 PM   #17
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
All jokes aside there is an old bushman's trick for putting sheep to sleep
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 09:23 PM   #18
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

I used to put chickens to sleep by placing their heads under their wings. Maybe there is a movement pattern that makes ruminants drowsy. Or maybe what we have here is like cloud bursting, they are only showing the cases where the animals lay down.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 09:41 PM   #19
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
I used to put chickens to sleep by placing their heads under their wings. Maybe there is a movement pattern that makes ruminants drowsy. Or maybe what we have here is like cloud bursting, they are only showing the cases where the animals lay down.
Roll a rabbit onto their back, stroke their tummy, and they stay frozen in place for a minute or two. It's weird.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 09:56 PM   #20
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I AGREE

I AGREE

Discuss
They were fed animal tranquilizers.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 10:18 PM   #21
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Grazing in the grass is a gas.
Old 10th October 2012, 02:52 AM   #22
andyandy
anthropomorphic ape

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
All jokes aside there is an old bushman's trick for putting sheep to sleep
That's interesting - how does it work? And why? (Is the crocodile Dundee clip accurate? )
Old 10th October 2012, 07:53 AM   #23
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

That's interesting - how does it work? And why? (Is the crocodile Dundee clip accurate? )
Sheep have some weird biological thing that puts them into a trance when their front feet are lifted even an inch of the ground. You do the whole crocodile Dundee thing with mumbo jumbo while an associate holds the struggling sheep,and slowly lifts it's front quarters slightly - Japanese tourists love it lol

Last edited by MG1962; 10th October 2012 at 07:54 AM.
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2012, 12:40 PM   #24
George152
Master Poster

Run the dog around a paddock for half an hour and its amazing how they just lie down afterward.
Talk about mystical
Old 10th October 2012, 07:07 PM   #25
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Originally Posted by George152 View Post
Run the dog around a paddock for half an hour and its amazing how they just lie down afterward.
Talk about mystical
Maybe yours does. I'd give anything for some Chi Sauce to put on my dog's food to calm him down a little...
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2012, 04:07 AM   #26
andyandy
anthropomorphic ape

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Sheep have some weird biological thing that puts them into a trance when their front feet are lifted even an inch of the ground. You do the whole crocodile Dundee thing with mumbo jumbo while an associate holds the struggling sheep,and slowly lifts it's front quarters slightly - Japanese tourists love it lol
I wonder what reason that happens....strange!
Old 13th October 2012, 05:42 AM   #27
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Many common lizards (and crocodilians, if you dare) can be "put to sleep" by rubbing their tummies... I used to do it all the time with common area reptiles.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2012, 06:57 AM   #28
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Many common lizards (and crocodilians, if you dare) can be "put to sleep" by rubbing their tummies... I used to do it all the time with common area reptiles.
I believe this kind of thing is known as 'tonic immobility' (or popularly 'animal hypnotism'), and many animals display it. Chickens can be 'hypnotised' in several ways.

Ever noticed the way a small mammal can hypnotise a snake into eating it?
Old 13th October 2012, 07:07 AM   #29
quadraginta
What was the question?

Originally Posted by patchbunny View Post
Roll a rabbit onto their back, stroke their tummy, and they stay frozen in place for a minute or two. It's weird.
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post

This works with one of our cats.

Not so much with the other.

(Ouch!)
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 04:30 PM   #30
kerikiwi
Philosopher

I wonder what reason that happens....strange!
So we can shear them easily.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 04:35 PM   #31
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Shear madness?
Old 14th October 2012, 04:39 PM   #32
GrandMasterFox
Graduate Poster

So, either the experts on the show are wrong
Or they are not really experts (could be actors)
Or that the animlas were drugged
Or that the animals are already trained for this
Or that the animals just did it on their own and it was edited out

Or any number of tricks could have been done here.
Why are you so fast to assume that "faking is off the table"?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 06:02 PM   #33
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I AGREE

I AGREE

Discuss
What remarkable coincidence?

In the second one, set up a camera and wait for the animal to look like it's about to lie down, and then wave your hand, poof, it lies down "on command".

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 06:08 PM   #34
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate

Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Grazing in the grass is a gas.
Can you, can you dig it?
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 06:10 PM   #35
Stomatopoda
Muse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usnMtNVyp8

Rub shark's snout ---> magic!
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 06:16 PM   #36
Turgor
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post
Or they are not really experts (could be actors)
Or that the animlas were drugged
Or that the animals are already trained for this
Or that the animals just did it on their own and it was edited out

Or any number of tricks could have been done here.
Why are you so fast to assume that "faking is off the table"?
Or nothing out of the ordinary happened. If you watch the videos you can see that it's mostly footage of a Japanese man waving his hands at animals that behave as they normally do.

Edit: oh i guess that would be "Or that the animals just did it on their own and it was edited out"

Last edited by Turgor; 14th October 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 14th October 2012, 06:45 PM   #37
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Now perhaps they are wrong - but i'm not seeing much animal expert rebuttal beyond "duh, animals lie down...." which is hardly in depth behavioural analysis.
How deep does one have to be to observe that animals lie down, and other animals lie about why they lie down.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 01:46 AM   #38
GrandMasterFox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Turgor View Post
Edit: oh i guess that would be "Or that the animals just did it on their own and it was edited out"
Yeah, by "faking" I was also going for the "no relation what so ever to the guy but editing makes it seem so"
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2012, 12:31 AM   #39
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by patchbunny View Post
That's the easy bit.

Shaking salt onto their cottontails in order to catch them in the first place is the hard part.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2012, 07:24 AM   #40
demonunderyourbed
Thinker

without doubt the biggest load of fanny i have ever seen,complete and utter nonsense.On a par with geller's stupidness
demonunderyourbed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal