ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags stop sylvia browne

Old 11th October 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
RSLancastr

StopSylvia email "I was conned!"

Received the following email at Stop Sylvia, with the subject "I was conned!":
Quote:

I believe it was in 2006, I was going through a very difficult period in my. I desperately wanted information to help m make a decision for my future. I contacted Sylvia Brown for a reading. I knew that it was going to cost $700. If the information could help me I was willing to pay that. She cancelled the first two or three appointments because of conflicting responsibility. Finally, she called --- I heard the raspy deep voice -- she wouldn't have had to say her name - - there was doubt --- no one has a voice like Sylvia. Her comments regarding my future could be taken anyway I wanted to perceived them. Did her advise help me, did her advise provide any direction -- no!!! Loosing $700 is minor compared to the looses that have occurred in my life since that day. My energies and resources have been directed in other areas -- survival. I am grateful for people like you, who are trying to put an end to this scam. She is making hugh profits from the pain of others.
[name]
Nothing particularly unique about it, just another sad report - a reminder of why I put the site together - in hopes of helping people in the above-described situation to see that there is more to Browne than she wants known.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 01:32 PM   #2
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
....there is more to Browne than she wants known.
Shouldn't that be 'less than'?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 01:58 PM   #3
RSLancastr

Works either way!

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Kelly
No Psychics, Please

Robert,

I just wanted to say hello to you and keep up the good work!
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 04:18 PM   #5
RSLancastr

Kelly!!!

Hi, I was thinking about you just the other day, how are you?

Dunno that I'm doing any "good work" of late, but thanks!

Old 11th October 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I'm in a thread with Kelly and RSL!
Old 11th October 2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Kelly
No Psychics, Please

I don't want to hijack your thread, Robert, but I will say your good work is still making a difference for many. I haven't written on my blog for eons, but yet people read it daily, and I have been thanked many times for writing it.

I'm good, same 'ol, you know. Feel free to shoot me an email and catch up.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 04:53 PM   #8
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Received the following email at Stop Sylvia, with the subject "I was conned!":

Nothing particularly unique about it, just another sad report - a reminder of why I put the site together - in hopes of helping people in the above-described situation to see that there is more to Browne than she wants known.
It seems your writing is getting closer to the sharp style you had before the event.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 04:56 PM   #9
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

How's that going? Has Sylvia been stopped? Slowed down?

Just curious.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 05:23 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by marplots View Post

Just curious.
She has definitely been slowed down. She no longer is on a regular TV show. That is just for starters.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Brattus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
She has definitely been slowed down. She no longer is on a regular TV show. That is just for starters.
In all fairness that has very little to do with SSB.
Sylvia Browne has just gotten very old, crippled and sickly.

As far as her not being on Montel anymore well, Montel isn't even on Montel anymore so that hardly counts as a win from the skeptic side.

Once they make it to a regular TV show then they become inoperable TV cancer.
At that point you just have to wait for the mercy of deaths release to "stop" them.

But that doesn't mean that RSL didn't do a humdinger of a job on SSB.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 01:48 AM   #12
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's a good fight to fight, even if the results are less than I'd prefer.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 03:36 AM   #13
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Brattus View Post
In all fairness that has very little to do with SSB.
Sylvia Browne has just gotten very old, crippled and sickly.

As far as her not being on Montel anymore well, Montel isn't even on Montel anymore so that hardly counts as a win from the skeptic side.
Hey there, Brattus.

Regardless of what caused it, Montel's show going off the air was most definitely a win for the skeptic side. Not one that we can take credit for perhaps, but a win noetheless.

That's how I see it, anyway. I wrote a lengthy post last night in response to marplots' question, but had tech problems. I will try to post it now.

Last edited by RSLancastr; 12th October 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12th October 2012, 03:40 AM   #14
RSLancastr

Just curious.
Good question.

I would say she has definitely been slowed down.

The most obvious evidence of that: She was on the Montel Williams Show promoting her nonsense once a week for (I believe it was) seventeen years.

That exposure slowed down in the final weeks and months of Montel's show, and of course stopped totally when the show went off the air,

That lack of a weekly national exposure had to have hit her in the pocketbook.

I think (but am not sure) that although she continues to crank out her books, she cranks out fewer per year now. (It could be that I have a distorted view of that though, since I am not as "on her case" all the time as I once was.

Did the StopSylvia web site have anything to do with the Montel Williams Show going off the air? That's impossible to say. I would guess not much if any, but the site got Montel, and his show, clearly associated in many places (including tghe Anderson Cooper 360 Show) with Browne's hurting the families of missing children, and there were also articles calling Montel's honor into question, and highlighting his threatening a high school student after she interviewed him for her school newspaper, so the site did not help him.

It's anecdotal, but I have been told, by people with direct contacts into Browne's headquarters, that phone calls for "readings" had dropped so dramatically that people working there feared the place was going to close.

Even assuming all of this is true, and she HAS slowed down, how much can my site take credit for that? All? Most? Some? Little? None?

JREF Forum member Brattus once stated here that most if not all of any decline in Browne's popularity was just part of the natural arc of a celebrity's fame, and that my site had nothing to do with it.

I'd like to think that he was wrong about that, but I don't think that either of us has any real evidence, nor do i know how evidence one way or the other could be found.
I can comfortably say that the site has spread the news of many of Browne's most egregious gaffes pretty effectively.

The first article I wrote about her involvement in the Shawn Hornbeck case went up on the site the same day that Shawn was found alive., and was promptly indexed into Google, where it showed up on the first page when people all over the world were hungry for more information about Shawn. This resulted in the number of page requests to my site going from (IIRC) around 80,000 per month to over two million per month for the next two months.

It also resulted in that article, and Browne's telling the Akers that Shawn was dead, being discussed on The Howard Stern Show, The New York Post, Fox News and CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 (among others). None of this could have done Browne any good.

One thing which I take pride in, and which is a decent barometer of the site's impact on public discourse about Browne, is the fact that for a few years now it has been difficult to find an online discussion of Browne's "abilities" where at least one person does not add a link to my site into the discussion.

Old 12th October 2012, 03:45 AM   #15
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I don't want to hijack your thread, Robert, but I will say your good work is still making a difference for many. I haven't written on my blog for eons, but yet people read it daily, and I have been thanked many times for writing it.
Yes, I still get emails from people reading my sites, although neither have been updated in ages. It's gratifying to know that the sites continue to do their job even when I can't do mine.

Quote:
I'm good, same 'ol, you know. Feel free to shoot me an email and catch up.
I'll try to do so. Again, so great to see you posting here.

Old 12th October 2012, 03:52 AM   #16
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
It seems your writing is getting closer to the sharp style you had before the event.
Thanks for saying so!

If so, I think it is mostly because I have been "exercising those muscles" a lot lately. I have joined other (unrelated) forums and am posting therein, plus I have been corresponding a lot via email. Certain things are starting to "click" again when I write. it's a good feeling, and is great to know that it is noticeable.

Thanks again,

-RSL

Old 12th October 2012, 04:08 AM   #17
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Thanks for saying so!

If so, I think it is mostly because I have been "exercising those muscles" a lot lately. I have joined other (unrelated) forums and am posting therein, plus I have been corresponding a lot via email. Certain things are starting to "click" again when I write. it's a good feeling, and is great to know that it is noticeable.

Thanks again,

-RSL
Definitely noticeable.
Old 12th October 2012, 04:10 AM   #18
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

One thing which I take pride in, and which is a decent barometer of the site's impact on public discourse about Browne, is the fact that for a few years now it has been difficult to find an online discussion of Browne's "abilities" where at least one person does not add a link to my site into the discussion.
That, my friend, has "win" written all over it.
Old 12th October 2012, 04:55 AM   #19
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Definitely noticeable.
Good to know, thanks!

That, my friend, has "win" written all over it.
Not sure I agree, though I thank you for saying so.

I do think that it has "Made a difference" written all over it (in my eyes, at least).

Old 12th October 2012, 10:08 AM   #20
Minarvia
fading orb

Brattus has good points, but so do you, Robert. Yes, Sylvia is getting old, but your Site has been around long enough that she wasn't so sickly back then. She was also, if I am correct, at her height of cranking out the most books per year than ever. Once your Site became known people began to question her BIG TIME. She hated that; Montel hated that, and then suddenly she just couldn't hold a huge gathering such as in Vegas any more without skeptics showing up and her and her staff having to be wary of them and putting plans into place.

Your Site is more than just about Sylvia, I think. Anyone who reads it and takes away anything won't just take away something about Sylvia, but about ALL the other so-called psychics out there.

And greetings to you, Kelly! We never really got to meet, but a thread of yours pointed me to Project Jason and for years I have kept the link and from time to time refer people to it. They always tell me later that they are shocked at what they read and never imagined that the harm was so real. Until they read the true stories of suffering families they never really understood what the "big deal" was about consulting "psychics." Now, nobody in my own family has gone missing, thank goodness, but as a humanitarian, I take great offense at these horrible and evil predators.

Good for both of you, and I'm so grateful that you both do such good work. It IS being noticed and it IS effective and helpful. It's important and I just want to say thank you both for all your dedication.

Gah...a bit sappy-sounding...but I AM a sap, so there it is!
Old 12th October 2012, 01:26 PM   #21
RSLancastr

Thanks, Minarv!

Old 12th October 2012, 02:39 PM   #22
KatieG
Master Poster

Yes, I still get emails from people reading my sites, although neither have been updated in ages. It's gratifying to know that the sites continue to do their job even when I can't do mine.

I'll try to do so. Again, so great to see you posting here.
Your site made a difference in my life. When grieving for my father, I wanted some answers. I never acted on it at that time. When one of my beloved dogs went missing for 3 days during a fairly brutal winter storm, I hit the Net looking for any way to help us find her. I even checked out SB's site and was interested but at that time, her prices were way above our budget. My husband is definitely not into woo and he started looking for info on SB. Wow, what a maroon I used to be, that I would even believe she would be able to help me find my dog. I spent days and days reading RSL's website. From there I went on to StopKaz.com. When I was done, I wouldn't contact SB to recommend a good restaurant.

I'm just one person but I pass on the links to RSL's site whenever I can. I know of 3 people who benefited greatly.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong time.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Kelly
No Psychics, Please

Originally Posted by Minarvia View Post
And greetings to you, Kelly! We never really got to meet, but a thread of yours pointed me to Project Jason and for years I have kept the link and from time to time refer people to it. They always tell me later that they are shocked at what they read and never imagined that the harm was so real. Until they read the true stories of suffering families they never really understood what the "big deal" was about consulting "psychics." Now, nobody in my own family has gone missing, thank goodness, but as a humanitarian, I take great offense at these horrible and evil predators.

Good for both of you, and I'm so grateful that you both do such good work. It IS being noticed and it IS effective and helpful. It's important and I just want to say thank you both for all your dedication.

Gah...a bit sappy-sounding...but I AM a sap, so there it is!
I am sappy, and readily admit to so feeling the love around here.

I am so glad you've kept the link and refer people. Now and then, I get a thank you email from someone who really had no idea, as most still don't. Working together, as we all do, we can make a difference!

So nice to "meet" you.
Old 12th October 2012, 03:06 PM   #24
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Sylvia and co did react to your site. For example they set up two forums both of which have since disappeared, one of which had a similar name to RSLancastr's site. So RSLancastr's site does deserve some credit.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 04:17 PM   #25
Minarvia
fading orb

Nice to "meet" you, too, Kelly! I'm glad you get emails from people whose lives you've changed, enriched, and shared with. As with Robert, I have no doubt that every letter is very meaningful and makes what you do worthwhile.

rjh01...I had almost forgotten about Sylvia's counter-sites! ROFL! I only remember one, to be honest, and that one was DULL. Those people had absolutely nothing to talk about, really. It just fizzled out, and pretty quickly, iirc.
Old 12th October 2012, 05:16 PM   #26
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Actually I lie. One still exists, though months go by without a post. It is this one http://sbns.justforum.net/forum

The other one is the gosylviabrowne.com site. There are various references to it, but the site has gone.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:39 AM   #27
RSLancastr

The other one is the gosylviabrowne.com site. There are various references to it, but the site has gone.
Yes. Word has it that the site's owner lost interest in it.

Old 11th November 2012, 09:05 AM   #28
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
The world will never run out of scammers:

http://www.hollywoodpsychics.com/

This is from the section called "Authentic Psychic Readings":

Quote:
What’s an Authentic Psychic?

To many people, the word "psychic" conjures up images of a fortune teller at the circus, or a palm reader on the boardwalk, which may not sound much like an authentic psychic. In fact, throughout history, people with special abilities have often suffered from bad reputations and suspicion of those around them. And, truthfully, some who claim to be authentic psychics may not actually give authentic psychic readings. On the other hand, there are many humble and devoted psychics out there who strive to help people with their gifts every day.

An authentic psychic is someone who was born with, or has developed, special abilities and gifts that s/he uses to provide authentic readings. An authentic psychic strives to help you better understand yourself and your life, through special insights and interpretations. An authentic psychic may be a clairvoyant, a Tarot reader, a medium, or provide many other types of psychic readings.

At Hollywood Psychics, every reading you get is from an authentic psychic. We guarantee authentic psychic readings by carefully screening every one of our psychics.* To join our team, candidates must provide a reading to one of our established psychics, as well as being screened by customers.
Robert, I enjoyed your site, and still do -- and refer people to it occasionally.

*my emphasis
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #29
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Actually I lie. One still exists, though months go by without a post. It is this one http://sbns.justforum.net/forum
That's an understatement. The latest post on that forum in in the "Howdy!" forum and is a single post thread by a new member which simply reads "Hello everyone". The most recent post excluding that one is from Jun 2011.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:29 AM   #30
RobDegraves
Muse

Though I tend to agree with Brattus, in that people don't seem to be getting any smarter, I would say that your site is still important.

There are things that must be said, even if no one is listening.

Sylvia Browne's path should not be paved only with gold... if all you are is a speed bump, that's still a win. Anyone who does what she does should be arrested (and publicly whipped) in my opinion, but until that day all we can do is point out the truth and hope to help at least a few.
RobDegraves is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 12:43 PM   #31
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
The world will never run out of scammers:

http://www.hollywoodpsychics.com/

This is from the section called "Authentic Psychic Readings":

Robert, I enjoyed your site, and still do -- and refer people to it occasionally.
Thanks, Exterra!

and yes, there is no shortage of places recommending "genuine/authentic" psychics.

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That's an understatement. The latest post on that forum in in the "Howdy!" forum and is a single post thread by a new member which simply reads "Hello everyone". The most recent post excluding that one is from Jun 2011.
Good to know!

Originally Posted by RobDegraves View Post
Though I tend to agree with Brattus, in that people don't seem to be getting any smarter, I would say that your site is still important.

There are things that must be said, even if no one is listening.

Sylvia Browne's path should not be paved only with gold... if all you are is a speed bump, that's still a win. Anyone who does what she does should be arrested (and publicly whipped) in my opinion, but until that day all we can do is point out the truth and hope to help at least a few.
As I said to Brattus time and again:

While many will visit my site, see that Browne is a fraud, but look for another psychic to believe in instead, there are also those who will apply what they learned from my site (that they can be fooled by a phony psychic) and will thus be less prone to fall for the next phony psychic, if they even go looking for one.

I will take that as a win any day.

Old 13th November 2012, 03:16 AM   #32
Cheezey D
Student

Hi Robert and Kelly

Just wanted to let you know that I think your sites are definitely among the most important out there. I lost a son to stillbirth 20 years ago and in the early years of my grief I considered going to see a 'psychic'. I almost did a couple of times but I was afraid about how it would affect me if they did 'make contact', I don't like getting upset in front of people and so I never went through with it.
Now I am a skeptic and I am sooo glad I didn't have anything to do with these charlatans, it would have spoiled my memories of my son to have derived false comfort from these people.
I also refer family and friends to your sites if they ever bring up the subject of psychics so please keep up the good work, you are invaluable!

D
Cheezey D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 06:17 AM   #33
RSLancastr

Thanks, Cheezey D!

I'm glad to hear that you did not consult a psychic back then.

It is circumstances just like yours back then which make many people vulnerable to these vultures.

Old 13th November 2012, 09:15 AM   #34
Cheezey D
Student

Yes, and that is what makes it so awful. They are preying on some of the most vulnerable people in society. Its surprising how open to weird ideas grief can make you and these people just take advantage of that.

D
Cheezey D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 06:15 AM   #35
s_pepys
Muse

im sorry all.

i agree that the ssb site is brill and very important but i dont see the point in this op or thread other than providing each other lip service.

the back-slapping and mutual congratulations are making me feel queazy!

just saying.

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 07:30 AM   #36
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by s_pepys View Post
im sorry all.

i agree that the ssb site is brill and very important but i dont see the point in this op or thread other than providing each other lip service.

just saying.

lxxx
Many people here have told me that they enjoy seeing examples of emails I receive at ssb.

You evidently do not, which is fine.

In future, perhaps you should just not view these threads.

Just sayin'.

Old 14th November 2012, 09:14 AM   #37
Minarvia
fading orb

im sorry all.

just saying.

lxxx
No need to say you are sorry - just don't read these threads if you don't enjoy them. I do enjoy them and so I read them.
Old 16th November 2012, 02:19 AM   #38
s_pepys
Muse

fair enough. point taken. was just hoping to read something interesting about sb and her exploits.

i had a "thanks for fixing my car" email the other day. posting a thread about how i fixed the car would be informative and useful to some but simply posting the thankyou so everyone can congratulate me on my skills would only be self serving really.

lots of rsl's posts are really informative and insightful.

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 06:49 AM   #39
RSLancastr

fair enough. point taken. was just hoping to read something interesting about sb and her exploits.

i had a "thanks for fixing my car" email the other day. posting a thread about how i fixed the car would be informative and useful to some but simply posting the thankyou so everyone can congratulate me on my skills would only be self serving really.
...and, were this the General Automotive subforum, it would have been appropriate to post that email here.

Quote:
lots of rsl's posts are really informative and insightful.

lxxx
Thank you.

-RSL

Old 16th November 2012, 07:01 AM   #40
Baffled
Critical Thinker

I'd like to toss in my thanks to everyone working so hard to counter the absurd psychic claims by people like Sylvia Browne. Without websites like yours, where would I turn when I encounter another enthusiastic victim who wants to tell me how "great" psychics are? You've created a wonderful repository of information.

Thank you.
Baffled is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal