ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags D.I.D. , Dr. Phil , false memory syndrome , Judy Byington , mind control , mpd , multiple personalities , recovered memory therapy , satanic ritual abuse

Old 9th November 2012, 03:20 AM   #641
Altus
Critical Thinker

"They have nine folks going to their meet-up in a few days and 309 members. That's not bad. Even a few folks on the ground would rock. Some serious (and hilarious) potential here. Almost makes me want to not lampoon her book signings for the mere possibilities that exist..."Occupy Byington's BS" is the first thing that pops into my mischievous mind."

I just bumped the membership of SLC skeptics from 309 to 310. Whoot! I am "virtually" in Utah! Can't wait to "chat" with my fellow SLC skeptifolk.

Last edited by Altus; 9th November 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 08:21 AM   #642
ac2012
Student

Heh! I'll have to check out that group. I don't really want to be live-trolling Byington, especially given the weird and paranoid nature of the SRA crowd. Besides, I think her moment's running out of steam. I'm still flabbergasted that she got NPR local affiliate coverage (not all that shocked about ABC 4).

What I want to know is: who do we cast in "22 Faces: The Movie?"

I say Alec Baldwin as Dr. Damien Hitler Greenbaum von Fistingstein
Tracy Lords as Byington's patient
Who do we cast as Ray n' May?
ac2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 08:35 AM   #643
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ac2012 View Post
Heh! I'll have to check out that group. I don't really want to be live-trolling Byington, especially given the weird and paranoid nature of the SRA crowd. Besides, I think her moment's running out of steam. I'm still flabbergasted that she got NPR local affiliate coverage (not all that shocked about ABC 4).

Ah, comedy takes the trolling out of it. This could rock, if done right. I might see if the SLC folk are open to having me "G+ hang in" to their meeting.

If we make SRA folks into complete idiots through the high art of parody, they will be taken as seriously as zombies from now on. Who's up for the challenge?

Last edited by Altus; 9th November 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:35 AM   #644
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Altus View Post
"They have nine folks going to their meet-up in a few days and 309 members. That's not bad. Even a few folks on the ground would rock. Some serious (and hilarious) potential here. Almost makes me want to not lampoon her book signings for the mere possibilities that exist..."Occupy Byington's BS" is the first thing that pops into my mischievous mind."

I just bumped the membership of SLC skeptics from 309 to 310. Whoot! I am "virtually" in Utah! Can't wait to "chat" with my fellow SLC skeptifolk.
Love it ! Wish I could go.

Hmmmm, you'll need costumes, at least hats
Old 9th November 2012, 10:36 AM   #645
douglas mesner
Thinker

I think for Ray n' May you need to scour the low-brow viral nut-punching, drinking-buddy immolating, on-the-still-living-side-of-a-Darwin-Award Youtube videos. Or maybe just Daniel Tosh and Billy Bob Thornton. They're supposed to be teens -- minors -- but we can just put beanies on their heads or something. It works for all the High School movies.

I keep leaving replies to the comments on Amazon even as the dialogue clearly goes nowhere because I'm very curious just to try to grasp the thinking there. I feel like I don't want Byington or any of her supporters to feel as though they left something out there that was unaddressed, thus giving them some kind of justification for not thinking beyond their own rhetoric and actually facing up to the facts and questions presented. It is absolutely amazing to me that they can harbor this unreconciled dissonance -- that they can, on the one hand, insist that the book is true, but on the other hand aren't willing to directly state that they truly believe specific claims in the book, such as the idea that people can levitate, or that Jenny Hill has ESP. It's amazing to me that people see fit to pop in on the comments and say, "it happened to me" without explaining what, exactly, happened to them. All of the claims in 22 Faces, including demonic possession and divine intervention? It's fascinating that we can show people that Byington, at the very least, has some explaining to do regarding her claim to be a consultant for the AG, and they are willing to defend her and attack us before she has offered them any credible explanation whatsoever. I can list things that didn't make sense for me from the book, things that seem contradictory and incoherent... and in reply I receive insane speculations regarding my "agenda". I just wonder if there is ever a tipping point with them. If there really is no point at all at which the burden of dissonance becomes too great, and they will finally confront those questions or give up on defending this untenable book.

Last edited by douglas mesner; 9th November 2012 at 10:37 AM.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:37 AM   #646
Altus
Critical Thinker

If we make SRA folks into complete idiots through the high art of parody, they will be taken as seriously as zombies from now on. Who's up for the challenge?
Case in point. Chatting it up with Byington and her little sock puppet F Lee (Don't use her full Felicity pseudonym so she can direct more folks to her crappy DID website) in a hallway of the interwebs, I just had a little fun-making. http://tinyurl.com/SRAZombies

------------------------------------------------------------------
CritThink says:
Hey, Judy, !!!doog for--yawa og dna, koob ruoy ekaT

FLee, don't hurt yourself trying to translate. It's called Byington BS v1.0
(Otherwise known as, "Satanic Speak for (complete) DUMMIES!")
----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so maybe it ain't at the level of an artform yet, but it's an evolving thing. Plus, it's an open-sourced concept, so feel free to add!
Old 9th November 2012, 10:45 AM   #647
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Hi ac2012! Welcome along!
I'm thinking of starting the Mesner Family, and I'd like to welcome you to it. Byington's accusing everybody of actually being me -- or accusing me of acting as everybody else -- so I think perhaps it's appropriate to say, 'No. I'm a Mesner, he's a Mesner, we're all Mesners here... and we've come for answers...'
It seems she and her readers will only accept that which seems to confirm their worst paranoid fears anyway.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 11:37 AM   #648
Altus
Critical Thinker

Okay, so here's what I just sent the head of the SLC meetup who welcomed me to the group.
--------------------------------
S,

So glad to make your acquaintance! There are a bunch of us over on the JREF forum following a story in your backyard. Nearly 16,000 views in a few weeks. We had hoped to chat with a few of you regarding this unfolding story. I’m thinking parody of the situation might work...since all the local news outlets out there (NPR affiliate, all the major UT papers, ABC-4 seem to just be regurgitating this women’s illogical narrative.)

I had hoped the Beerhive had wifi so I could G+ into your meeting. I was at a meeting where we Skyped in Sharon Hill http://www.skeptic.com/i-am-a-skeptic/Sharon-Hill.html ‘twas awesome!
Anywho, any chance I could call into your meeting over someone’s phone? You could put me on speaker and we could all noodle for 15 or so minutes about this? Just wondering.

Yours in skeptical merrymaking!
Cathy
-----------------------------------------------------

Doug, I will only join the family if we get badges. We need stinkin' badges so we can identify each other in "the real world" and give Masonic handshakes to each other at the Piggly Wiggly, etc.

Last edited by Altus; 9th November 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:46 AM   #649
douglas mesner
Thinker

Doug, I will only join the family if we get badges. We need stinkin' badges so we can give Masonic handshakes to each other at the Piggly Wiggly, etc.
Badges, membership cards, handshakes, and secret-decoder rings. What kind of half-assed society did you think I had in mind? We'll have all that and more!
Old 9th November 2012, 11:52 AM   #650
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
Badges, membership cards, handshakes, and secret-decoder rings. What kind of half-assed society did you think I had in mind? We'll have all that and more!
YAY! Count me in!
Old 9th November 2012, 12:46 PM   #651
douglas mesner
Thinker

Every time I've had to deal with Utah it's been extremely bizarre. In fact, I have a very deep and complex history that lead me to what I'm doing now and the whole thing left me with perhaps a distorted perception of what a horrifying place the hinterlands of Utah are. If it's really anything like what it presented itself to me as, you should just throw your crap in a car and drive to the coast immediately.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:47 PM   #652
douglas mesner
Thinker

I had hoped the Beerhive had wifi so I could G+ into your meeting. I was at a meeting where we Skyped in Sharon Hill http://www.skeptic.com/i-am-a-skeptic/Sharon-Hill.html ‘twas awesome!
Anywho, any chance I could call into your meeting over someone’s phone? You could put me on speaker and we could all noodle for 15 or so minutes about this? Just wondering.
Let me know. I'd be happy to join the call too. Talk to all of myself for a while, as it were...
Old 9th November 2012, 01:36 PM   #653
Altus
Critical Thinker

Let me know. I'd be happy to join the call too. Talk to all of myself for a while, as it were...
Yeah...there's gotta be someone with iPhone or the equivalent who can do a conference. I'll let you know if "S" mails me back.
Old 9th November 2012, 02:12 PM   #654
Altus
Critical Thinker

Case in point. Chatting it up with Byington and her little sock puppet F Lee (Don't use her full Felicity pseudonym so she can direct more folks to her crappy DID website) in a hallway of the interwebs, I just had a little fun-making. http://tinyurl.com/SRAZombies

------------------------------------------------------------------
CritThink says:
Hey, Judy, !!!doog for--yawa og dna, koob ruoy ekaT

FLee, don't hurt yourself trying to translate. It's called Byington BS v1.0
(Otherwise known as, "Satanic Speak for (complete) DUMMIES!")
----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so maybe it ain't at the level of an artform yet, but it's an evolving thing. Plus, it's an open-sourced concept, so feel free to add!
Whoops, just noticed I didn't get "for" down correctly in Judy's cartoonish backwards Satan-speech. Corrected in the original (one post down) http://tinyurl.com/SRAZombies
Old 9th November 2012, 03:13 PM   #655
Altus
Critical Thinker

Every time I've had to deal with Utah it's been extremely bizarre. In fact, I have a very deep and complex history that lead me to what I'm doing now and the whole thing left me with perhaps a distorted perception of what a horrifying place the hinterlands of Utah are. If it's really anything like what it presented itself to me as, you should just throw your crap in a car and drive to the coast immediately.
Well, we might just have struck gold in dem thar mountains of UT. Steve, who heads up the SLC city skeptics is also a marketing consultant. Sadly, the walls are several feet thick at the Beerhive where they meet, so a wireless chat seems on hold for now. But he's interested. I gave him the run down. Check it out. Steve is the dude at the bottom of the page. What are the probabilities? http://www.itsnotaboutthesexmyass.com/the-authors.html

Last edited by Altus; 9th November 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:14 PM   #656
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I'm thinking of starting the Mesner Family, and I'd like to welcome you to it. Byington's accusing everybody of actually being me -- or accusing me of acting as everybody else -- so I think perhaps it's appropriate to say, 'No. I'm a Mesner, he's a Mesner, we're all Mesners here... and we've come for answers...'
It seems she and her readers will only accept that which seems to confirm their worst paranoid fears anyway.

YAY! Count me in!
And me!

Auntie Orph Mesner at your service!
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 03:17 PM   #657
douglas mesner
Thinker

Well, we might just have struck gold in thar mountains of UT. Steve, who heads up the SLC city skeptics is also a marketing consultant. Sadly, the walls are several feet thick at the Beerhive where they meet, so a wireless chat seems on hold for now. But he's interested. I gave him the run down. Check it out. Steve is the dude at the bottom of the page. What are the probablilities? http://www.itsnotaboutthesexmyass.com/the-authors.html
If they get internet in there we could Skype conference
Old 9th November 2012, 03:28 PM   #658
Altus
Critical Thinker

If they get internet in there we could Skype conference
That was the first thing I looked for. Nada.

And no phone either. From his email:

"Each month about a dozen or so of us meet downstairs at the Beer Hive. Because we are surrounded by fat concrete walls, there is bad to no wireless reception. Hopefully the Technology God will bless us with a solution soon."

In my email to him I said I needed coffee 'cause I forgot to send the link to the thread. He said, small world, he was drinking coffee as he read my email---when the police weren't looking.

I forgot what another world UT is...ac, join their group! It will keep you sane until we can mobilize a rescue squad.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:31 PM   #659
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

Auntie Orph Mesner at your service!
I got dibs on the "Missy Mesner" moniker!

Last edited by Altus; 9th November 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:44 PM   #660
Altus
Critical Thinker

And this is what it all comes down to, right here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1ITVKC...wasThisHelpful
Old 9th November 2012, 03:50 PM   #661
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

From that review:

Quote:
If 22 Faces is the biography of a woman with genuine Dissociated Identity Disorder (supposedly rare) why are the reviews fully packed with others stating the same?
Because they're all alters of the same woman?
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 04:01 PM   #662
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
From that review:

Because they're all alters of the same woman?
Nah, it's because this myth is a money maker for therapists. They've created a culture. Life-long income! They become like Orson Well's definition of "shut-eyes", believing this chit...and breeding it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjPsnfysrp8

Last edited by Altus; 9th November 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 9th November 2012, 07:04 PM   #663
John Jones
Philosopher

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
That is quite impossible. I grew up in the south. I'm 49, Jenny Hill looks to be no older than I, and probably younger. There were NO separate drinking fountains in either Louisiana or Texas (where I spent my childhood). From the time I was in 1st grade, I was attending desegregated schools, and so had my older sister been. I think the very last of Jim Crow had been ended by '64, and I think it was largely gone by that year anyway. If her neighbors had ever drank from a "colored" drinking fountain, then they were twenty years older than I.
I'm not so sure. I grew up in Tennessee, and I remember seeing "Colored" and "White" signs on facilities in a public park. I must have been old enough to read, so this would have been about 1963-1964.

I seem to recall that these were anachronisms at the time -- something about not enough time to remove such signs, but it could be my 55 YO mind playing tricks on me.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:45 PM   #664
ac2012
Student

That was the first thing I looked for. Nada.

And no phone either. From his email:

"Each month about a dozen or so of us meet downstairs at the Beer Hive. Because we are surrounded by fat concrete walls, there is bad to no wireless reception. Hopefully the Technology God will bless us with a solution soon."

In my email to him I said I needed coffee 'cause I forgot to send the link to the thread. He said, small world, he was drinking coffee as he read my email---when the police weren't looking.

I forgot what another world UT is...ac, join their group! It will keep you sane until we can mobilize a rescue squad.
Tell 'em to go to Piper Down on State Street! They're an awesome English-style pub, they've got wifi and it's a lot cooler and roomier than the beerhive.

Quote:
I can only imagine...

That said, I will say that I like my new state (been here a year, originally from back east). SLC is increasingly becoming a very cool and very fun town to live in.

Hey Doug - is there any 'lineage' (by that I mean, where the myth originated) between Byington's Dr. Damien Hitler Greenbaum von Fistingstein and the mysterious dentist from Nazi Germany repsonsible for the Son of Sam and beyond in that great Satanic Panic magnum opus, The Ultimate Evil by Maury Terry?
ac2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 07:08 AM   #665
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Well, what were you all doing on Halloween??

For me this Dr. Greenbaum stuff is a real blast from the past (but perhaps not quite in the way the Judy Byingtons of the world purport to believe). I first heard of the Dr. Greenbaum mythos around 20 years ago, and it was my introduction to just how truly creative and imaginative the paranoid mind can be when unfettered by such mundane concerns as logic, reason, and sanity. There's something in it for every species of paranoia -- a satanic mind-controlling Nazi Jew! Those last two items on the preceding list pack a particularly disturbing and terrifying punch. Think of it: even in his adolesence, Greenbaum was so powerful that the Nazis themselves were willing to put aside their usual distain for all things Jewish and recruit him as one of their own, something they weren't even willing to do for the likes of Einstein. And Greenbaum was so personally evil he willingly joined the perpetrators of his people's genocide. Truly a match made in Hell!

At the time my brother was starting up a rock band, and I tried to get him to name it "Dr. Greenbaum." But when I explained what it meant, he declined on the grounds it would probably be a questionable marketing move -- or attract the wrong kind of fans.

Anyway, I see a lot of great work and fascinating stuff in this thread. Please, please keep it up!!
Old 10th November 2012, 07:51 AM   #666
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Well, what were... I first heard of the Dr. Greenbaum mythos around 20 years ago, ...
Wait, you mean this Greenbaum character was an already existing legend when Byington started "treating" Ms. Hill? Jesus, her malpractice is even worse than I originally thought (as if that were possible). It seems that she's guided Hill's recovered "memories" into an already existing narrative. An entirely fictional narrative, at that.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #667
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Wait, you mean this Greenbaum character was an already existing legend when Byington started "treating" Ms. Hill? Jesus, her malpractice is even worse than I originally thought (as if that were possible). It seems that she's guided Hill's recovered "memories" into an already existing narrative. An entirely fictional narrative, at that.
Yep -- the whole Dr. Greenbaum schtick goes back to at least 1992, which is around the time I first heard about it. I suspect that various components of it go back even earlier, most likely as an evolving amalgam of different conspiracies and pet lunacies.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #668
douglas mesner
Thinker

Yes, Greenbaum was a fiction that already existed before Byington penned her inept description of him, and the fact that the idea of his existence was already in circulation is used by her as evidence that it is true. She doesn't say that Greenbaum was created by Dr. Corydon Hammond in the 90s, she says that Greenbaum was "verified" by Hammond -- again demonstrating that she doesn't know what constitutes evidence. I have written a few things about the Greenbaum speech (below), and you'll see that I even made contact with Hammond at one point whereupon he distanced himself from the whole thing:
Listening to an audio recording of the event, I can not help but envision a room full of elderly, church-going women with purple hair piled high into “bee-hives”, wearing horn-rimmed glasses, faces rigid with sanctimonious concern; Their husbands, in button-down flannel shirts and broad ties, sitting uncomfortable with the night’s lackluster sobriety, trigger-fingers itchy for the blood of a Satanist. I also hope that it was only a fringe minority of the self-proclaimed “Moral Majority” that gifted Dr. Corydon Hammond, a Ph.D. in clinical psychology and practicing therapist, with such sustained and heart-felt applause that fateful night in Alexandria, Virginia within a hotel conference room in 1992 when he delivered a presentation entitled, “Hypnosis in Multiple Personality Disorder: Ritual Abuse”, commonly known as “The Greenbaum Speech.“

Dr. Hammond stressed his own bravery in “coming forward” with his information – “Myself, as well as a few others that I’ve shared [this information] with, were hedging out of concern and out of personal threats and out of death threats. I finally decided to hell with them. If [the Satanists are] going to kill me, they’re going to kill me. It’s time to share more information with therapists.” [Applause]. He described a savage, blood-thirsty cult operating at the highest levels of society and in the United States Government. It is a cult that has converted millions into brain-washed sex slaves.

But why?

“My best guess is that the purpose of it [the satanists] is that they want an army of Manchurian candidates — tens of thousands of mental robots who will do prostitution, do child pornography, smuggle drugs, engage in international arms smuggling, do snuff films, all sorts of lucrative things and do their bidding. And eventually, the megalomaniacs at the top believe, [they will] create a satanic order that will rule the world.”

The details are eerily specific, and a good number of Conspiracy Theory’s usual suspects play a role. It’s like this: A secret U.S. military operation initiated immediately after World War II secretly recruited Nazi doctors (who were all, apparently, Satanists) to continue their sinister experiments in mind control. Today, Hammond explains, the head of the whole operation is a Jewish man who “is known to patients throughout the country.” His name is withheld, oddly, to protect the guilty.

The methods by which these Satanists achieve total subjugation of their slaves are also detailed. Prolonged torture, Demerol, and confusion techniques make a victim susceptible to re-programming: “[The victim] will hear weird, disorienting sounds in [one] ear while they see photic stimulation to drive the brain into a brainwave pattern with a pulsing light at a certain frequency not unlike the goggles that are now available through Sharper Image and some of those kinds of stores. Then, after a suitable period, when they’re in a certain brainwave state, they will begin programming, programming oriented to self-destruction and debasement of the person.”

This method of mind control sounds strangely similar to a hypnosis technique utilized by therapists versed in a communication protocol known as Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP). In NLP texts, a hypnosis technique is elaborated in which two therapists – one speaking mostly at random in one ear, while the other gives specific instructions into the other ear – confuse a subject’s conscious mind into “shutting down”, thus bringing the unconscious mind to the fore in a state of trance.1

With Hammond’s background in clinical hypnosis and, particularly, the subtle coercive communication techniques of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, an obvious question arises: Did Dr. Hammond simply make up the material in the Greenbaum Speech based on his own conception of plausible “brain-washing”2 techniques?

“That guy’s a legitimate nut-job…” a Floridian lawyer (who prefers to remain unnamed) drawled out in response to the question in a phone interview I conducted. He had taken a deposition from Dr. Hammond in the early 90s when engaging in a discovery process for charges of fraud leveled by one of Hammond’s former patients. “He wouldn’t face the camera during the deposition because he was afraid that the tape would fall into the hands of Satanists. So he sat in the corner facing the wall. He saw evidence of Satanism everywhere. Somebody was wearing a tie that made him suspicious that the guy was a Satanist.”

Dr. Hammond claims to have based his “findings” on information he had compiled from various patients in his care who had “recovered” memories of the abuse that Hammond had “come forward” to describe.

A common criticism that skeptics have put forward against cases of “recovered memories” of trauma is that the therapist often seems to be unwittingly “leading” the patient toward a preconceived notion. For instance, the question, “What color t-shirt was the man wearing?” presupposes a t-shirt over a button-up, sweater, or whatever else. If the person being asked isn’t attentive, he or she may then picture a t-shirt in a freshly created “false memory” without realizing that the idea was planted. Once believed, a False Memory becomes “fact” to whoever was implanted with it. Often, it is difficult to convince the person that their “memory” is indeed false.3

In the Greenbaum Speech, Hammond seems to be aware of the risks of leading. Addressing therapists, he specifically implores, “Do not lead [the patient].”

Eventually, many of the claims put forward by Dr. Hammond and his coterie of Repressed Memory Therapists were investigated by a Utah Task Force. 250,000 dollars later, the task force found nothing, and questions regarding Hammond’s credibility suddenly became quite pertinent.

While some of Hammond’s peers in the Repressed Memory movement appear to have mis-treated their patients with a far more damaging level of irresponsibility than Hammond ever achieved4 , Dr. Hammond is of peculiar interest to me specifically because of the Greenbaum Speech, and the fact that in the speech he implicated The Process Church:

“Remember the Process Church? Roman Polanski’s wife, Sharon Tate, was killed by the Manson Family who were associated with the Process Church? A lot of prominent people in Hollywood were associated and then they went underground, the books say, in about seventy-eight and vanished? Well, they’re alive and well in southern Utah.”

Dr. Hammond mentions a “thick file in the Utah Department of Public Safety” that documents The Process’s activities within Utah as witnessed by covert law enforcement. The State of Utah knows of no such file5 . The interesting thing, of course, is that – in this instance – Dr. Hammond was right. By the time he had delivered the Greenbaum Speech, a collection of Processean luminaries had established an animal shelter in Utah. How did he know?

In an email exchange Dr. Hammond and I had in 2004, he replied to the question:

“A law enforcement officer in the state of Utah told me in about 1990 about them [the Process] having a complex in southern Utah and showed me aerial photographs that had been made of the complex. I’ve never heard anything since and really don’t know anything about them. I haven’t been associated with anything associated with cults in the past 12 years.”

Perhaps conveniently, Hammond could not remember the name of the law enforcement officer in question.

The good doctor’s new distance from the topic of Satanic Ritual Abuse follows a long series of litigation and accusations. Several Ritual Abuse therapists lost their licenses to practice after ruining the lives of their clients and their client’s families by instilling them with the belief that their own friends and relatives were part of a conspiracy to control their minds. Following these revelations of therapist quackery, I find myself wondering, Were some of the Ritual Abuse therapists willfully leading their patients? Were they, in effect, engaging in some form of the very coercion they decried? Was the Satanic Conspiracy a type of projection of their own cruel practices? Understandably, Dr. Hammond is reticent to comment on this episode of his career.

“I never really did cult research,” Hammond wrote to me, “but simply worked with some patients and consulted with other therapists who were working with them. By the latter part of 1992 I could see that it was becoming controversial and possibly an area of liability. It was exhausting, difficult work. Since it had never been more than a small part of my practice, I decided, why am I working this hard for the money when there are several other areas of specialty that I have where the work is much less gut-wrenching and the problems have a much more favorable prognosis than persons with extensive abuse histories?”

Despite Dr. Hammond’s dismissal of his Greenbaum stand-up comedy, many elements of the lecture still surface today among occult crime conspiracy theorists, and a popular conspiracy book, Mass Control, by author Jim Keith, cites Hammond’s Greenbaum material as a presumably accurate source for information.

“Occult crime investigators”, still certain that there is an international satanic conspiracy, have assimilated Hammond’s cult research into their ever-growing mythology, thus making the Greenbaum Speech something of an underground, deeply-rooted, cultural false memory. http://www.process.org/discept/2008/...mental-robots/
And again:
In an address to the Fourth Annual Eastern Regional Conference on Abuse and Multiple Personality, delivered in 1992, it was an MPD specialist, Dr. Corydon Hammond, who elaborated upon the specifics of government brain-washing tactics. His speech, known as “The Greenbaum Speech” is a classic and influential piece of conspiracy folklore. During the Question & Answer segment following his presentation, Hammond admitted, “There isn’t great documentation of [this Machurian Candidate program]. It [the evidence] comes from victims who are imperiled witnesses.” But from these “imperiled witnesses”, Hammond managed to dig out repressed memories which outlined some very specific elements, including the meanings of Greek Letter code words used by cult programmers to activate scripted functions in the hapless “Manchurian”:

“Alphas appear to represent general programming, the first kind of things put in. Betas appear to be sexual programs. For example, how to perform oral sex in a certain way, how to perform sex in rituals, having to do with producing child pornography, directing child pornography, prostitution. Deltas are killers trained in how to kill in ceremonies. There’ll also be some self-harm stuff mixed in with that, assassination and killing. Thetas are called psychic killers. You know, I had never in my life heard those two terms paired together. I’d never heard the words “psychic killers” put together, but when you have people in different states, including therapists inquiring and asking, “What is Theta,” and patients say to them, “Psychic killers,” it tends to make one a believer that certain things are very systematic and very widespread. [...] Then there’s Omega. [...] Omega has to do with self-destruct programming. Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. This can include self-mutilation as well as killing-themselves programming. Gamma appears to be system-protection and deception programming which will provide misinformation to you, try to misdirect you, tell you half-truths, protect different things inside. There can also be other Greek letters.”

Speaking to therapists, Hammond said, “I’d recommend that you go and get your entire Greek alphabet…”

The former patient of Ross’s, whom I interviewed, clearly felt she was swayed toward a Conspiracy Theory-based false recollection of events as Ross probed her mind for evidence of this Greek Alphabet programming:

“[...] my father was in the military. This was when I was a tiny little girl, he was in the Air Force. And for Colin Ross, for anybody who’s ever been in the military, he just makes the immediate leap into CIA, for crying out loud. He asked me if the words – what was it? – ‘beta’… ‘gamma’… and, um… ‘omega’, I think it was [meant anything to me]. Those three. He said that children were put in to CIA experiments where they used goggles on [the children's] eyes and hypnotized [them]. [The CIA programmed personalities] were either one of those: beta, omega, alpha, one of those. One [of these designations programmed the child so that they] would commit suicide, one would be given the job to dispense disinformation, the other was [...] an assassin. I just thought ‘gamma’ sounds too stupid, ‘alpha’ sounds like alphabet soup, for crying out loud, I think I chose Omega, or something like that. I chose the one that sounded the least stupid to me, because I was just trying to cooperate with him. There was just no way you could argue with him. He’d always just twist things around. You couldn’t possibly argue with him. He’d always just say that you fit the description, absolutely fit the description. It has to be this.”

Claiming to be extremely cautious so a not to “lead the client”, Hammond described how he would probe for answers during hypnosis, saying, “I want a part inside who knows something about Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Theta to come up to a level where you can speak to me and when you’re here say, ‘I’m here.’”

Hammond explained, “I would not ask if a part was willing to [speak]. No one’s going to particularly want to talk about this. I would just say, “I want some part who can tell me about this to come out.”

To what end, one might wonder, is this Extreme Evil being practiced in the face of God-Fearing American Decency©?

“My best guess is that the purpose of it is that they [the satanists] want an army of Manchurian candidates — tens of thousands of mental robots who will do prostitution, do child pornography, smuggle drugs, engage in international arms smuggling, do snuff films, all sorts of lucrative things and do their bidding. And eventually, the megalomaniacs at the top believe, [they will] create a satanic order that will rule the world.”

This is the foul witch-hunting core of conspiracist speculation, and the narrative of government programs of Ritual Abuse/Mind-Control is but the evil twin of Alien Abduction folklore. Not only are both largely dependent upon the presumed reliability of “recovered memories”, but both contain many of the same plot elements… elements that appear to be universal, archetypal, to the entranced ramblings from which they are derived. Clinical Psychologist, Dr. Gwen L. Dean, compiled an exhausting list of such parallels, among which we find [...] (excerpt from http://www.process.org/discept/2011/...ed-and-abused/)
Old 10th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #669
Altus
Critical Thinker

You can thank these "Doctors" for shooting up victims with this virus and then "curing" them of the symptoms---and inviting their colleagues to do the same!

D. CORYDON HAMMOND, PhD, Professor, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Here is his FAMOUS speech...endorsed by the ISSTD http://www.fmsfonline.org/hammond.html

And his cohort and author of Judy's intro took it, squared it, and created more victims. (Malpractice suits in two countries.)

COLIN ROSS, MD, Founder and President, The Colin Ross Institute for Psychological Trauma, Richardson, Texas, USA

Oh, LOOK! Both are on the ISSTD's editorial board at this moment...a "peer reviewed" joke of publication...except that "therapists" of all walks of life take this thing seriously and spread its lies, creating more victims (Judy is only the tip of the iceberg.)

http://www.isst-d.org/jtd/journal-tr...rial-board.htm

Occasionally, they get the APA to publish their ****.

PS. I'm not taking any BS Scientology stand here. I'm saying "mental health" is a crapshoot because these folks are allowed to practice unchecked. It really needs to be cleaned up for the sake of GOOD therapy.

Last edited by Altus; 10th November 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:19 AM   #670
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Yep -- the whole Dr. Greenbaum schtick goes back to at least 1992, which is around the time I first heard about it. I suspect that various components of it go back even earlier, most likely as an evolving amalgam of different conspiracies and pet lunacies.
Ah, Christ. The link is even from Fred Burks's website. I'm sorry, you are now obligated to read this whole article in which I chatted with Burks at a UFO conference: http://www.process.org/discept/2011/...ed-and-abused/
Old 10th November 2012, 10:05 AM   #671
Roma
Master Poster

Quote:
=douglas mesner;8760179....“That guy’s a legitimate nut-job…” a Floridian lawyer (who prefers to remain unnamed) drawled out in response to the question in a phone interview I conducted. He had taken a deposition from Dr. Hammond in the early 90s when engaging in a discovery process for charges of fraud leveled by one of Hammond’s former patients. “He wouldn’t face the camera during the deposition because he was afraid that the tape would fall into the hands of Satanists. So he sat in the corner facing the wall. He saw evidence of Satanism everywhere. Somebody was wearing a tie that made him suspicious that the guy was a Satanist.”
They're all completely crackers.
During Dr.Bennet Braun's malpractice deposition he insisted on wearing a loaded pistol because he thought his former patient Patty Burgess was going to assassinate him.
During Dr.Colin Ross' deposition he wasn't even going to participate if I was in the room. My lawyer cried foul, especially since I had paid $7,000. to bring Ross up from Dallas to be questioned in luxury. So the deposition was done with me in the far end of the room and Ross sitting at the other end right by an open doorway, just in case I tried to kill him or something , Geeez.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:30 AM   #672
joesixpack
Illuminator

Ah, Christ. The link is even from Fred Burks's website. I'm sorry, you are now obligated to read this whole article in which I chatted with Burks at a UFO conference: http://www.process.org/discept/2011/...ed-and-abused/
This was quite telling;

Quote:
Yes, Burks is aware of Erickson, but he is not at all sure how much Erickson really knew. Then, creepily, Burks mentions the amazing power that Erickson must have wielded over his female clients, suggesting that he must have taken full advantage of that situation, because, “Hey, face it. Any normal man would.”
In Fred's defense, he probably doesn't get too many second dates...
Old 10th November 2012, 11:06 AM   #673
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

"Any normal man would." That's a great advert for male therapists there, isn't it? Actually a great advert for men in general, any normal man would behave like a creep given half the chance.

Thankfully I have too much sense to believe in Fred Burks' ability to have half a clue what normal men would do.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 11:23 AM   #674
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
"Any normal man would." That's a great advert for male therapists there, isn't it? Actually a great advert for men in general, any normal man would behave like a creep given half the chance.
"Behave like a creep" seems a little mild. Surely the implication is rape?
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 11:30 AM   #675
Altus
Critical Thinker

Thankfully I have too much sense to believe in Fred Burks' ability to have half a clue what normal men would do.
I'll second that. Besides, what is Fred doing commenting on the members of a club that has excluded him by virtue ;-) of his behavior?
Old 10th November 2012, 11:32 AM   #676
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

Well, yes - I should have said behave like a sociopathic creep. Mind you if he hangs around women like Judy Byington, who trade in rape fantasises and torture porn, maybe he thinks women are all gagging for that kind of thing.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 11:55 AM   #677
Altus
Critical Thinker

Well, yes - I should have said behave like a sociopathic creep. Mind you if he hangs around women like Judy Byington, who trade in rape fantasises and torture porn, maybe he thinks women are all gagging for that kind of thing.
And that's the thing that totally PISSES me off as a woman. These women are being sold down the river by their WOMEN therapists. Women mind-fing other women for years at a time...screwin' them so bad that some commit suicide. (Notice the name Valerie Sinason )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ic-child-abuse

Oh, look, another of Valarie's patients...on Oprah. Good goin' sister Oprah...parade your mind f'ed sisters for profit!

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Intro...nalities-Video

This just showed up in The Atlantic about Kim...The Atlantic!

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...lities/263471/

Notice how she tells Valarie she can't remember things because of alcohol...you see from Oprah who won/lost that one. Over time, the mind f'in just takes over and breaks them.

I want to just take these women theRAPISTS by their necks and scream, "WTF are you doing to your own?!?!"

Last edited by Altus; 10th November 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10th November 2012, 01:28 PM   #678
Roma
Master Poster

And that's the thing that totally PISSES me off as a woman. These women are being sold down the river by their WOMEN therapists. Women mind-fing other women for years at a time...screwin' them so bad that some commit suicide. (Notice the name Valerie Sinason )
Oh I totally agree with you there sister-girl !
I have tried to explain this problem to the government funded feminists agencies like L.E.A.F.

http://www.search-results.com/web?qs...auid=&apn_uid=

http://www.leafmb.ca/

I tried to explain how recovered memory therapy was hurting women and I actually got yelled at for being, guess what, a disgusting denier and protector of child abusers.

You know what, if I truly hated women I would deliberately subject them to this recovered memory therapy. I would sit back and smirk while they gradually started to doubt their sanity, lost their careers, and sat in corners of convention centers holding dolls and scribbling in colouring books while I just kept raking in the money. Yup, it would be the kind of smirk I saw on Dr.Colin Ross' face the last time I was in his office at the St.Boniface Hospital when just as I was leaving I turned around and asked him:
"How could you make me believe all of that stuff about ritual abuse and murders ?"
To which he replied with a sideways smirk like Elvis Presley:
"I never believed any of that crap".
No I didn't say anything back to him, I was just kind of stunned because my friend Wanda Davenport, another patient of Ross' had recently commited suicide because of recovering memories of what Ross just told me he knew were crap. (he shrugged his shoulders and said her death was "fate") I just left, and when I reached the waiting room area by the receptionist's desk Ross yelled out to me "You'll never make it, you'll be back in two weeks!"
So now I have to wonder if Colin Ross is completely insane and truly thinks the CIA and Satanists are real or does he just completely hate women ?
When I wonder about this and consider all of the information I have about him over the past 25 years I have to conclude that he is insane AND he hates women. He has total contempt for women actually when you understand that he married one of his own MPD patients. There's nothing like having total Svengali control over your wife, especially if like Ross you consider women to be a sub-human life form to be used as lab rats in mind control experiments.

Okay, now let's add Jews and Nazis into the nut bowl equation:
The Lords of recovered memory therapy, Braun, Ross, Hammond, etc. have been training and using women to do this "therapy" to other women. Didn't the Nazis train and use Jewish prisoners to work in munitions factories and concentration camps ?

Last edited by Roma; 10th November 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 01:45 PM   #679
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

Given the level of misogyny among this cabal of therapists, (and self hatred among the females involved), I suppose its no coincidence that their first targets were day care centres.

I don't know if that was deliberate or subconscious, but it does seem like they were telling us to get back in the kitchen or our children wouldn't be safe from Satan.
Old 10th November 2012, 02:16 PM   #680
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roma View Post

...Yup, it would be the kind of smirk I saw on Dr.Colin Ross' face the last time I was in his office at the St.Boniface Hospital when just as I was leaving I turned around and asked him:
"How could you make me believe all of that stuff about ritual abuse and murders ?"
To which he replied with a sideways smirk like Elvis Presley:
"I never believed any of that crap".
No I didn't say anything back to him, I was just kind of stunned because my friend Wanda Davenport, another patient of Ross' had recently commited suicide because of recovering memories of what Ross just told me he knew were crap. (he shrugged his shoulders and said her death was "fate") I just left, and when I reached the waiting room area by the receptionist's desk Ross yelled out to me "You'll never make it, you'll be back in two weeks!"

Yes, I see he was right to be afraid of you at the deposition. A person with poor impulse control would probably try to punch him or worse. In fact, I suspect that during depositions in the past, plaintiffs have had to be restrained from disemboweling him and strangling him with his own intestines.

Last edited by joesixpack; 10th November 2012 at 02:19 PM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal