ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags D.I.D. , Dr. Phil , false memory syndrome , Judy Byington , mind control , mpd , multiple personalities , recovered memory therapy , satanic ritual abuse

Reply
Old 26th October 2012, 09:33 AM   #121
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
You guys should see this utterly bizarre exchange in the comments under this Amazon review of 22 Faces. Somebody popped on under the name "Christopher Allen" dismissing the negative reviews as "negative", part of an "agenda", and a "silly game". We replied, then the commenter changed her name form Christopher Allen to "F. Lee" and accused us being confused in our replies that had addressed her as Christopher. Bizarre as that is, it is also infuriating when you can dissect a claim point-by-point only to be dismissed by some people as being too negative or as being part of a suspicious "agenda", and therefore they feel exonerated from having to suffer the dissonance of considering your facts.
oops, sorry. link: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2ATP6W...x304ZW3210CWQJ
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 09:52 AM   #122
joesixpack
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,533
Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
You guys should see this utterly bizarre exchange in the comments under this Amazon review of 22 Faces. Somebody popped on under the name "Christopher Allen" dismissing the negative reviews as "negative", part of an "agenda", and a "silly game". We replied, then the commenter changed her name form Christopher Allen to "F. Lee" and accused us being confused in our replies that had addressed her as Christopher. Bizarre as that is, it is also infuriating when you can dissect a claim point-by-point only to be dismissed by some people as being too negative or as being part of a suspicious "agenda", and therefore they feel exonerated from having to suffer the dissonance of considering your facts.
Yes, I saw this yesterday evening. I was totally confused by the exchange (which I suppose was Christopher Allen/F.Lee's intention).

I am not ever surprised by the vociferousness of objections raised by the "true believers". After all, they have their entire worldview at stake. Allowing themselves a peek at reality causes them to have to confront a scaffolding of lies, self deceit, and delusion that they and their "therapists" have constructed.

Most have alienated their family through their bizarre accusations and have no one left to turn to outside of their circle of co-delusionists. The fear of loneliness is far greater than their fear of existing within the framework of shabby fantasy.
__________________
Generally sober 'til noon.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 10:00 AM   #123
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Yes, I saw this yesterday evening. I was totally confused by the exchange (which I suppose was Christopher Allen/F.Lee's intention).

I am not ever surprised by the vociferousness of objections raised by the "true believers". After all, they have their entire worldview at stake. Allowing themselves a peek at reality causes them to have to confront a scaffolding of lies, self deceit, and delusion that they and their "therapists" have constructed.

Most have alienated their family through their bizarre accusations and have no one left to turn to outside of their circle of co-delusionists. The fear of loneliness is far greater than their fear of existing within the framework of shabby fantasy.
Yeah, F Lee runs a website where she actually keeps people in the DID bubble and solicits money from them. She has a lot to loose if the DID identity goes the way of fainting couches and vapors. Hopefully Doug will map it all out in a blog post that he can link. Narratives start to take wild turns when you engage these folk. It's very sad...wish I could give them all a reality pill. Must suck to live in a delusion like that...so limiting.

Last edited by Altus; 26th October 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 11:10 AM   #124
Roma
Master Poster
 
Roma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,181
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
...... Must suck to live in a delusion like that...so limiting.
Having lived it I can say that it more than "sucked"
The delusions and parnoia are crippling.
The constant fear is so unbearable many commit suicide.
Even after leaving MPD/DID therapy it took me years to finally convince myself that I was not in danger of being killed by my parents in a Satanic ritual.
And it's hard to leave the MPD/DID cult support group because they pull you back in by telling you that you are in denial, and if you say you aren't then you're told that :"It's okay, denial is a normal part of recovering memories of sexual abuse".

Reading some of the vicious, disgusting, and ridiculous comments "believers" write it's hard for me to not hate them, but I don't, I feel pity for them. I do hate their "therapists" though. If here is a hell people like Judy Byington and Colin Ross will have a special place waiting for them there.
__________________
I only know what I want to know.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 11:42 AM   #125
truethat
Penultimate Amazing
 
truethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Another way you can tell many of these stories are total BS is when a person has a memory as a baby. It's one thing to remember seeing something but quite another to have a meta cognitive awareness of their reactions. IOW "I felt afraid, like I had to escape." Completely impossible. Children function is the sensorimotor stage prior to 2 years old.

Example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1sXbnBmy8U


From what I've read about Language Acquisition, it's pretty much impossible to have memory of that type prior to language.
__________________
“People who say they don't have time to read simply don't want to.”

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 11:53 AM   #126
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,446
Originally Posted by Ellen Travis View Post
One of the conditions of me contacting him was that he was careful with the information I gave him because the perpetrators involved are so dangerous.

I'm not talking about Satan hunters and CTers but very serious organised criminals.
Can you expand on this? Especially the "very serious organized criminals" part?
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 12:59 PM   #127
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
Yeah, F Lee runs a website where she actually keeps people in the DID bubble and solicits money from them. She has a lot to loose if the DID identity goes the way of fainting couches and vapors. Hopefully Doug will map it all out in a blog post that he can link. Narratives start to take wild turns when you engage these folk. It's very sad...wish I could give them all a reality pill. Must suck to live in a delusion like that...so limiting.
So happens I know a blogger with a long, strange history with this Felicity, so I'm letting her write something up. She has author credentials on Dysgenics.com, so she'll probably post whatever she writes up there to. Being that Felicity takes donations for whatever work she does regarding DID, I think her bizarre behavior should be cataloged somewhere online. It's one thing to pull a strange and apparently senseless stunt like that, but it's another to come back and complain in the same thread about people not using their real names! That simply comes off as terribly disturbed and infantile... a complete unwillingness to accept any personal wrong-doing even when brought face-to-face with it point blank. It reminds me of when Susan Clancy released her book 'The Trauma Myth' and the DID gang all intentionally misinterpreted her thesis to be that Child Sexual Abuse is not harmful. Rather, Clancy was saying that sexual fondling, etc., usually often isn't traumatic AT THE TIME. Sometimes it's even forgotten (by the natural process of forgetting). It's when it is remembered when there is a social context to it, when the person understands the ramifications, THEN the trauma sinks in. Then it goes from being a bizarre, confusing event to being a full-on traumatic recollection. What Susan Clancy was never saying is that treating a child that way is okay. Well, that didn't work at all for the DID faithful because their belief is predicated upon an understanding that such sexual behavior is so naturally traumatic that repression and multiplicity can begin even, ridiculously, in early infancy. So now, all of the sudden, you had all these discerning "scientists" criticizing Clancy's data. On her Amazon reviews you find all these people associated with S.M.A.R.T. (Stop Mind-control And Ritual abuse Today, an over-the-top unhinged organization where, when I attended one of their conferences in 2009, they were actually selling electromagnetic-beam blocking hats), they were all saying that Clancy's conclusions were based on bad science. You have Ellen Lacter, whose website advises you to "pray a perimeter around everything of witchcraft", expressing grave doubts over Clancy's research. When I tried to point out to them that they maintain a belief for which the only evidence is plain anecdotes (as in 22 Faces, Sybil) and fancy anecdotes (retrospective surveys), they refuse to answer. When I ask them about S.M.A.R.T., they pretend that replying is beneath their dignity. They could not come face-to-face with what they themselves were doing.

Last edited by douglas mesner; 26th October 2012 at 01:01 PM.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 01:10 PM   #128
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Just to clarify, it's Satanists, not Stalinists, right?
Not sure about any Stalinists, but the writer of this book and Dr. Colin Ross (2008 Pigasus winner) like to bounce around the notion that a Nazi came to the US and started programming Manchurian candidates which resulted in folks getting multiple personalities. I forget if Judy's (the author of "22 Faces") account had the CIA as part of her delusion. Ross likes to involve them in all discussions. Doug had to read this crap. Worse yet, Jenny Hill, had to endure a relationship with Byington and parrot this lunacy, no doubt paying a price in terms of her mental health. Dr. Phil then parades this woman on his show along with Judy. Of course, it's some of the worst kind of BS therapy could dream up. Perhaps the Utah authorities should be visiting this author's "Trauma Research Center".

One last thought, if I were going to program a of bunch Manchurian candidates for anything, well first on my list would be white middle-class housewives, right? Duh.

Last edited by Altus; 26th October 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 02:21 PM   #129
Jon.
Increasing entropy since 1970
 
Jon.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,500
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Just to clarify, it's Satanists, not Stalinists, right?
The thing is, if this had all happened in the 50s, it would have been Stalinists, I'm sure. Like demonic possession/alien abduction, the phenomenon latches on to whatever meme is around.
__________________
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.

I don't appeal to the masses, and they don't appeal to me. - Graham Parker

Calling modern day fundamentalists medieval is giving them about a thousand years of philosophical advancement they do not have. - Jorghnassen
Jon. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 02:33 PM   #130
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
The thing is, if this had all happened in the 50s, it would have been Stalinists, I'm sure. Like demonic possession/alien abduction, the phenomenon latches on to whatever meme is around.
Demon memes will outlive the damned cockroaches. Demonically possessed cockroaches...hey, I made a new meme!
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 03:41 PM   #131
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 33,985
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
No apologies needed! You are a skeptic. You are right to be a skeptic. I am flattered by your skepticism. I'm a bit of a forum freak on DID. That's how I know so much. The forum that Roma posted about above http://mentalhealthmatters2.wordpress.com/ was where I cut my skeptical teeth and learned about Doug. He pops in every now and then. I've since joined a skeptic group where I live a few months back. It's like a breath of fresh air.

I was woo too...not anymore. No going back. In my purse, I carry Moon Drops and an empty Occicilium vile (perfect metaphor)---that I bought believing too recently for comfort---for on-site friends and family education sessions.

I can't wait 'til I can use a graphic with my name. I have a rainbowed unicorn passing skittles in a cloud of methane. How many posts before I can use it?

PS. Since you are interested in what is happening at Amazon, I am CritThink there...conversation with the believers under Stormy's post is ongoing. I met Felicity in Jeanette's forum. Looking forward to Doug's post on her. I think he has some background on her in addition to what I know.

Like Judy Byington she runs a non-profit. The sad thing is she collects money from DID victims. Sad, sad, stuff.
Cheers, Altus! You will be able to use an avatar pic when you've made 50 posts.
__________________
Are you an ex-Truther? Please share your story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Australasian Skeptics Forum.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 03:43 PM   #132
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 33,985
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
Demon memes will outlive the damned cockroaches. Demonically possessed cockroaches...hey, I made a new meme!
If I believed in demons, I'd believe these DID "therapists" were possessed by them. Demon cockroaches, even!
__________________
Are you an ex-Truther? Please share your story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Australasian Skeptics Forum.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 04:38 PM   #133
BStrong
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,189
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Back in the 80s, I was actually given a "training film" on "How to Spot Ritual Satanic Activity" that was produced by some ex-copper who had jumped on the Satanic bandwagon.....Quite amusing, actually...
Haven't heard anything since, unless I watch old X-files repeats....
Sounds like Ted Gunderson - he was an FBI saic that went off the rails behind finding satanists under every bed.

Satanic ritual abuse allegations coming out of recovered memories?

I call shenanigans on the deal.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 09:11 PM   #134
Scott Sommers
Illuminator
 
Scott Sommers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,807
Originally Posted by truethat View Post
Children function is the sensorimotor stage prior to 2 years old.

Example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1sXbnBmy8U
This link goes to this video
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

One of the comments from a person using the name illbetomorrow states,
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can come by a copy of the entire film? I watched it in my politics of sexual violence class and I was deeply effected by the experience. I would really like to see the whole thing again.
I was able to find a course taught at William Paterson University by Carole Sheffield called The Politics of Sexual Violence
Does anyone know anything about this?
__________________
I've seen it here and in several other places that there is no Illuminati. That doesn't even make sense. There's a Wikipedia entry that talks about it. I'm not saying that everything on Wikipedia is true, but if you read it, it's just really clear how the Illuminati controls the world.

Last edited by Scott Sommers; 26th October 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Scott Sommers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 10:36 PM   #135
Scott Sommers
Illuminator
 
Scott Sommers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,807
Psychotherapy and the Recovery of Memories of Childhood Sexual Abuse: U.S. and British Practitioners' Opinions, Practices, and Experiences. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1995, Vol. 63, No. 3, 426-437
(full article here)
Quote:
Licensed U.S. doctoral-level psychotherapists randomly sampled from the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology (Surveys 1 and2,n= 145; Council for the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology, 1992) and British psychologists sampled from the Register of Chartered Clinical Psychologists (Survey 2, n = 57; British Psychological Society, 1993) were surveyed regarding clients' memories of childhood sexual abuse (CSA). The 3 samples were highly similar on the vast majority of measures. Respondents listed a wide variety of behavioral symptoms as potential indicators of CSA, and 71% indicated that they had used various techniques (e.g., hypnosis, interpretation of dreams) to help clients recover suspected memories of CSA. Across samples, 25% of the respondents reported a constellation of beliefs and practices suggestive of a focus on memory recovery, and these psychologists reported relatively high rates of memory recovery in their clients.
USE OF MEMORY TECHNIQUES WITH SURVIVORS OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE: A NATIONAL SURVEY OF PSYCHOTHERAPISTS by PAMELA J. WIND A DISSERTATION IN PSYCHOLOGY Submitted to the Graduate Faculty of Texas Tech University in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
(full article here)
Quote:
Mental health professionals from four different organizations representing five different groups (master's-level counselors, social workers, and marriage and family
therapists; and doctorate-level psychologists and marriage and family therapists) were surveyed (1250 total), with a final response rate of 29.2%) of potentially eligible participants (N = 339). Relationships between mental health field and practice with CSA clients were examined. Participants reported using memory-related techniques only occasionally to never, and appeared, as a group, skeptical of the accuracy of memories elicited using these techniques. Also, participants reported little specific training in using these techniques with CSA survivors, and low levels of perceived competency in their use. Only a few group differences were found in training and perceived competency in use of memory-related techniques; no pattern in these differences was identified. No differences were found between groups in perceived accuracy of memories s elicited using memory related techniques. When the relationships between participant CSA history and practice and training variables were examined, it was found that those with a history of CSA reported using most memory-related techniques more often, and the more competent in their use, than those without a history of CSA. No significant relationships were found between participant CSA history and perceived accuracy of the techniques or training in their use. Possible predictors of use of memory-related techniques were also examined. After controlling for participant variables (age, gender, experience, CSA history), it was found that amount of training in the technique, perceived competency in its use, and IV perceived accuracy of memories elicited using it, were all significantly predictive of the use of art therapy, body memory interpretation, journalling, guided imagery, and hypnosis (accounting for 57.8%, 60.4%), 54.2%, 56.7%, and 61.0% of the variance in use of each technique, respectively). Also, it was found that perceived competency in use of the technique and perceived accuracy of memories elicited using it were significantly predictive of the use of dream interpretation and story-telling (accounting for 49.9% and 55.8%) of the variance in the use of each technique, respectively)
__________________
I've seen it here and in several other places that there is no Illuminati. That doesn't even make sense. There's a Wikipedia entry that talks about it. I'm not saying that everything on Wikipedia is true, but if you read it, it's just really clear how the Illuminati controls the world.

Last edited by Scott Sommers; 27th October 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Scott Sommers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 12:04 AM   #136
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 33,985
Quote:
71% indicated that they had used various techniques (e.g., hypnosis, interpretation of dreams) to help clients recover suspected memories of CSA
__________________
Are you an ex-Truther? Please share your story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Australasian Skeptics Forum.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 05:39 AM   #137
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
JREFers.......HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!

Doug has tried to stop this "journalist" in Salt Lake from jumping on the sensationalism bandwagon. So much for that.

BUT, BUT, BUT here's what we can do. Take the facts in this forum to the comment section of this article. Let's show our best and most rational side of persuasion for those who might be inclined to believe this stuff but have at least a little logic and their heads. Believers will always be...but the public can be influenced. Go for it!

Through our civility, our logic and our facts, maybe just maybe we can take this article apart. Who's in for a virtual field trip here? Bring your water bottles and some snacks.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 05:41 AM   #138
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
JREFers.......HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Altus View Post
JREFers.......HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!

Doug has tried to stop this "journalist" in Salt Lake from jumping on the sensationalism bandwagon. So much for that.

BUT, BUT, BUT here's what we can do. Take the facts in this forum to the comment section of this article. Let's show our best and most rational side of persuasion for those who might be inclined to believe this stuff but have at least a little logic and their heads. Believers will always be...but the public can be influenced. Go for it!

Through our civility, our logic and our facts, maybe just maybe we can take this article apart. Who's in for a virtual field trip here? Bring your water bottles and some snacks.
It appears I grabbed my water bottle and snacks but not the link. Here it is.
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...dutF2O1Bg.cspx
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 06:30 AM   #139
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,446
Did and done.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 06:43 AM   #140
joesixpack
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,533
Done and done.
__________________
Generally sober 'til noon.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 07:47 AM   #141
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
JREFers you rock. By going to http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...spx?p=Comments and posting your very rational comments, you've changed the discussion in a matter of minutes. In addition, you had a person come and admit he/she engaged Judy in a therapy relationship even though Judy is unlicensed--a mere felony in Utah. Hopefully, the authorities take note. Keep posting...believers are gonna show. But JREFers are changing the story as it shapes. Woot!

Last edited by Altus; 27th October 2012 at 07:53 AM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 08:23 AM   #142
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
JREFers.......HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!

Doug has tried to stop this "journalist" in Salt Lake from jumping on the sensationalism bandwagon. So much for that.

BUT, BUT, BUT here's what we can do. Take the facts in this forum to the comment section of this article. Let's show our best and most rational side of persuasion for those who might be inclined to believe this stuff but have at least a little logic and their heads. Believers will always be...but the public can be influenced. Go for it!

Through our civility, our logic and our facts, maybe just maybe we can take this article apart. Who's in for a virtual field trip here? Bring your water bottles and some snacks.
I just saw this and commented on the "report". This aggravates me to end, as I REACHED OUT to Kimberly Nelson before she aired her report, and she chose to ignore me. Now, nobody can simply say that she didn't read the book, therefore she didn't know how ridiculous it is. She chose to ignore how ridiculous the book it. Then there is a little sentence at the end stating that Jenny Hill's sister reached out before the show aired to say that Jenny is mentally ill. Is that all she said? Why did she reach out to Kimberly Nelson, but Kimberly Nelson failed to reach out to her? I honestly would like to see Nelson lose her job. What she did should be considered criminal. Of course, Byington states: "You will find people who do not want 22 Faces publicized. You may wonder what motivation they have for discouraging its publication. Jenny is literally risking her life to be a voice for ritually abused adults and children across the globe." Of course. Ignore any refutations of my work, it's simply Satan's helpers sowing confusion and deceit.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 08:26 AM   #143
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
In other news: DR PHIL DOES NOT LIST BYINGTON AS BEING ON THE 31st AS OF TODAY. However, Byington commented yesterday that she is still appearing on the show "soon". I'm not sure what to make of it, or how I should, perhaps, revise my open letter...
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 08:40 AM   #144
joesixpack
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,533
Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
In other news: DR PHIL DOES NOT LIST BYINGTON AS BEING ON THE 31st AS OF TODAY. However, Byington commented yesterday that she is still appearing on the show "soon". I'm not sure what to make of it, or how I should, perhaps, revise my open letter...
I remember the last satanic panic quite well. It was started almost entirely on daytime talk shows. I would not be at all surprised if she doesn't find another talk show to take her. As you know, daytime talk format isn't well known for it's high standards of evidence. The better approach would be for someone who was a victim of the false memory abusers to get on his show. Do you know anyone who'd volunteer for that?


And just as an aside, do you know if the Dr. Phil show with her has already been taped?
__________________
Generally sober 'til noon.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 08:42 AM   #145
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
In other news: DR PHIL DOES NOT LIST BYINGTON AS BEING ON THE 31st AS OF TODAY. However, Byington commented yesterday that she is still appearing on the show "soon". I'm not sure what to make of it, or how I should, perhaps, revise my open letter...
You can only go with the facts as presented. Can you revise the open letter with a screen shot and take it from there? Say something like "Given that this schedule most likely came from her publicist who manages Judy's media schedule I am commenting on the facts as presented. If the facts are otherwise, please feel free to contact me so I may respond." Well, I am sure you can say it much better. But point is, clears you and puts responsibility on Phil staff.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 08:44 AM   #146
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
You can only go with the facts as presented. Can you revise the open letter with a screen shot and take it from there? Say something like "Given that this schedule most likely came from her publicist who manages Judy's media schedule I am commenting on the facts as presented. If the facts are otherwise, please feel free to contact me so I may respond." Well, I am sure you can say it much better. But point is, clears you and puts responsibility on Phil staff.
Forgot to include link of the media schedule from Byington's Amazon page. http://www.amazon.com/Judy-Byington/..._athr_dp_pel_1
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 08:51 AM   #147
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
And just as an aside, do you know if the Dr. Phil show with her has already been taped?
Wasn't there a letter from the show producer on her site somewhere...thanking her saying that they passed out her books, some folk would have issues with the truth of the story---they always do with some Phil stories, don't worry, God bless.

Her site is such an explosion of crap, I can't find it.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:07 AM   #148
LibraryLady
Emeritus
 
LibraryLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,612
Hmmmm....In order to comment on Dr. Phil's site, I have to register. I'm wondering if it's worth it, to be able to post my comments on the site and start conversations?
__________________
What would Hüsker Dü?
LibraryLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:09 AM   #149
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I remember the last satanic panic quite well. It was started almost entirely on daytime talk shows. I would not be at all surprised if she doesn't find another talk show to take her. As you know, daytime talk format isn't well known for it's high standards of evidence. The better approach would be for someone who was a victim of the false memory abusers to get on his show. Do you know anyone who'd volunteer for that?


And just as an aside, do you know if the Dr. Phil show with her has already been taped?
Yes, the show has already been taped, and I reached out to them before the taping itself took place. If they are not going to use it now, that would be great. But if they aren't going to say anything, and leave us wondering... well, that's kind of annoying and anticlimactic.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:10 AM   #150
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder
 
Drs_Res's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: N 34 3 8 / W 118 14 33
Posts: 1,993
Originally Posted by Altus
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
You can only go with the facts as presented. Can you revise the open letter with a screen shot and take it from there? Say something like "Given that this schedule most likely came from her publicist who manages Judy's media schedule I am commenting on the facts as presented. If the facts are otherwise, please feel free to contact me so I may respond." Well, I am sure you can say it much better. But point is, clears you and puts responsibility on Phil staff.
Forgot to include link of the media schedule from Byington's Amazon page. http://www.amazon.com/Judy-Byington/..._athr_dp_pel_1

If you click on the details you get this.:
Quote:
Judy Byington, "Twenty-Two Faces"
Dr. Phil is featuring "Twenty-Two Faces" Jenny Hill and author Judy Byington on his show discussing how the ongoing ritual torture of children causes formation of multiple personalities and denial of Jenny's family that her Dissociate Identity Disorder diagnosis was the result of this childhood abuse.


When:
Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 3:00 PM

Where:
Dr. Phil Show, 5555 MELROSE AVE BUILDING, HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, United States 90038-3993
Looks to me that they may be taping the show on 10/31/12. Dog only knows when it would actually air.

Also looks like the family may be on the show to disagree with the whole DID thing. Although that's hard to say with the way it's worded.
__________________
Vote Bunk and vote often.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
"Yes, well, I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you." - Sheldon - TBBT

Last edited by Drs_Res; 27th October 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Drs_Res is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:11 AM   #151
Altus
Critical Thinker
 
Altus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Hmmmm....In order to comment on Dr. Phil's site, I have to register. I'm wondering if it's worth it, to be able to post my comments on the site and start conversations?
Since the show has yet to air, not sure. However you can go to ABC http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...spx?p=Comments where that story "aired" this morning and post there...you can also vote up the posts of other rational folk. That would help.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:24 AM   #152
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by Drs_Res View Post
If you click on the details you get this.:


Looks to me that they may be taping the show on 10/31/12. Dog only knows when it would actually air.

Also looks like the family may be on the show to disagree with the whole DID thing. Although that's hard to say with the way it's worded.
Actually, the taping happened over a month ago. Jenny Hill's sister refused to be a part of it (which I think is a mistake), but I'm sure she warned them as to what the facts are, as I tried to, before the shoot. As soon as the shoot was over, Byington was posting pleasant quotes from the producers, one of which was one of those infuriating statements along the lines of, 'sure, some people will object to your claims, but people always do (so I guess we can ignore them all in every case).'

Last edited by douglas mesner; 27th October 2012 at 09:27 AM.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:27 AM   #153
Vortigern99
Philosopher
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,876
Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
I'm currently reading this exchange and find it fascinating. Good for you, Douglas Mesner, for standing up for truth, honesty and critical thinking.

Full disclosure, I had been considering writing a fictional book about a case of satanic ritual abuse and MPD that turns out to have been true, but I am now re-thinking that premise as, even if presented as fiction, the novel might encourage or support the real-world lie that is MPD/DID.

Thanks for all your outstanding work fighting against these deceitful, harmful psychoanalytical practices.
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:38 AM   #154
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder
 
Drs_Res's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: N 34 3 8 / W 118 14 33
Posts: 1,993
Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
Actually, the taping happened over a month ago. Jenny Hill's sister refused to be a part of it (which I think is a mistake), but I'm sure she warned them as to what the facts are, as I tried to, before the shoot. As soon as the shoot was over, Byington was posting pleasant quotes from the producers, one of which was one of those infuriating statements along the lines of, 'sure, some people will object to your claims, but people always do (so I guess we can ignore them all in every case).'
Okay. I did not know they already shot it. You can see my confusion though because they put the appearance on a specific date and then give the address of the studio where they tape the show.
__________________
Vote Bunk and vote often.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
"Yes, well, I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you." - Sheldon - TBBT
Drs_Res is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 10:15 AM   #155
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
I'm currently reading this exchange and find it fascinating. Good for you, Douglas Mesner, for standing up for truth, honesty and critical thinking.

Full disclosure, I had been considering writing a fictional book about a case of satanic ritual abuse and MPD that turns out to have been true, but I am now re-thinking that premise as, even if presented as fiction, the novel might encourage or support the real-world lie that is MPD/DID.

Thanks for all your outstanding work fighting against these deceitful, harmful psychoanalytical practices.
Thank you for the kind words. As I have friends in the b-movie business, I've toyed with the idea for a while of making a film script based upon Satanic Panic material, following very roughly the outline of Michelle Remembers. I thought it would be interesting to show the story through her distorted point-of-view, where you see the satanic conspiracy playing out, while still making it clear that this is a delusion based upon therapeutic coercion. I thought that the therapist would be this caricature of unhinged Freudian philosopher who sees small acts, such as her taking his pen and failing to return it, as an overblown act of phallic theft. She would come to agree with this perspective and soon the pen even visually fails to be a pen. While the therapist gives a lecture to his esteemed colleagues, she takes to toying with the "pen" which causes him a Corsican Brothers-type of hyper-arousal which encroaches embarrassingly into his presentation. I thought that the climax in this story could possibly be that, in all her lamenting over her lost child, the revelation is that she had never been pregnant at all.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 10:17 AM   #156
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
I revised the letter to a "forthcoming" broadcast. Less powerful than having a date, I feel, but at least now the time-stamp will be even further in advance than expected, thus, I think, more damning for it's irresponsibility...
http://www.examiner.com/article/jour...-health-menace
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 11:05 AM   #157
Roma
Master Poster
 
Roma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,181
Originally Posted by Altus View Post
Since the show has yet to air, not sure. However you can go to ABC http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...spx?p=Comments where that story "aired" this morning and post there...you can also vote up the posts of other rational folk. That would help.
LibraryLady, Doug and I have already written our comments there so please VOTE FOR US !


*you can't miss us 'cause we use our real names Roma Hart and Doug Mesner

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...spx?p=Comments
__________________
I only know what I want to know.

Last edited by Roma; 27th October 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 11:17 AM   #158
LibraryLady
Emeritus
 
LibraryLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,612
Voted, sweetie!
__________________
What would Hüsker Dü?
LibraryLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 11:36 AM   #159
Strawberry
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 497
Voted and commented. The true believers are still commenting too though.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 12:10 PM   #160
douglas mesner
Thinker
 
douglas mesner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
I am so beyond disgusted by this ABC affiliate broadcast. I am utterly infuriated to see the summary dismissal at the end of the article which simply states that Jenny Hill's sister claims it isn't true. Hill's sister has much more to say than that. And why did SHE have to reach out to the station, rather than the station reaching out to her?? And the report itself acknowledges the divine intervention, as though this ISN'T a bizarre claim. I get so frustrated. How exactly can you even argue somebody who is willing to accept such claims uncritically? How infantile are their minds?
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.