ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags D.I.D. , Dr. Phil , false memory syndrome , Judy Byington , mind control , mpd , multiple personalities , recovered memory therapy , satanic ritual abuse

Old 30th October 2012, 12:15 PM   #321
Strawberry
Muse

Given that these Satanic abuse scares have alot in common with the old blood libel against the Jews, its not surprising that these stories attract anti-Semites.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:28 PM   #322
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Altus View Post
Here's a possible...but hardly a probable scenario:

--Judy's last visit was not a taping but a briefing. They flew her out to be in the audience and chat with her and Jenny to see if there was a story there.

From the Byster's site:

"Dear Judy,
Thank you for taking the time to come to our show. I wish you great success with your book documenting the life of Jenny Hill and look forward to working with you in the future. God Bless!”
Dr. Phil, Paramount Pictures Hollywood" http://22faces.com/

--Judy misconstrued the taping (working with) which will take place on the 31st as a "live" showing.

--The actual airing is scheduled for the 16th.

--She updated her Amazon site to reflect these changes.

Lots of time for skeptical intervention. Of course, the more attention we give it, the more the Philistine will see an audience. We gotta make this not worth his time.
Actually, on the Amazon page, she seems to have an arbitrary date of Nov. 16, while the "air date" is "unknown". However, Jenny Hill's sister put us on to the taping before it happened, and there are quotes from the show's producers that can't be reconciled with the idea that they were "feeling out" whether or not to have her on -- particularly the aggravating quote to the effect of 'sure people will criticize the episode, but there are always a few rotten eggs who whine about our irresponsibility". I do wish we had a solid date, though. Then I would feel much more comfortable trying to sound the alarm around other mainstream news outlets. Dr. Phil's people have not replied to ANYthing I've sent them.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:29 PM   #323
Altus
Critical Thinker

If anybody's up for it, can somebody with a little more experience with Topix than me get a thread going over there on the Salt Lake forum with a link to ABC-4 comment section? Might draw a few more locals into the discussion who may take some action. I think the story may be off the TV now and probably buried on the site by other news.

Topix http://www.topix.com/forum/city/salt-lake-city-ut

ABC-4: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...dutF2O1Bg.cspx
Old 30th October 2012, 12:37 PM   #324
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
She has now deleted that comment.
I tried to post a comment letting Felicity know that the JREF forum members noticed her use of "our and we" instead of "my and I" , and I re-posted her comment for her, but Amazon wouldn't allow me post my comment because I have never purchased anything from them.

Some one else needs to do this for me. Help please

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2ATP6W...x2ED3X5N26VJ9V

Last edited by Roma; 30th October 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:39 PM   #325
douglas mesner
Thinker

Given that these Satanic abuse scares have alot in common with the old blood libel against the Jews, its not surprising that these stories attract anti-Semites.
They attract anti-Semites, but I think they also MAKE anti-Semites. Once somebody comes to agree with the dysfunctional methods of "research" employed by the conspiracists, it is inevitable that they will come upon the Protocols, blood libel, and loop it back to the Illuminati and World Bankers. How could they not? The idea of the Jewish Threat really is the root much of their folklore, and they will recognize that sooner or later. There are some, like conspiracist author William Guy Carr, who wrote in very vitriolic terms denouncing that Synagogue of Satan, however -- in some facile early footnote in his book 'Pawns in the Game' -- he remarked that these conspirators call themselves Jews, but they are not Jews. Their allegiance is to Lucifer. This footnote will always be dredged up in blustering defense of Carr by those who want to put reasonable face forward, so as to distinguish him from a Nazi. However, there really is no distinction. Even the Nazis "aryan-ized" Jews into the Wehrmacht, and like-wise Carr isolated Jews claiming to know the difference between the Good and the Bad.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:40 PM   #326
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I tried to post a comment letting Felicity know that the JFER forum members noticed her use of "our and we" instead of "my and I" , and I re-posted her comment for her, but Amazon wouldn't allow me post my comment because I have never purchased anything from them.

Some one else needs to do this for me. Help please
I'd be careful of mentioning JREF in too much detail to Felicity. I think she thinks we are all worshipers of Doug's radio station...let her. If she gets wind of this place, she'll come and troll like Beezulbub. Keep her in her Amazon playpen.

Last edited by Altus; 30th October 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:41 PM   #327
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
... However, we know that he doesn't 'happen' to be Jewish. He is a fictional character that was MADE Jewish. And he was made Jewish for a reason.
Exactly, and this is the trouble with the believers vs. the skeptics. One treats the book as a work of non-fiction, the other group recognizes it for what it is. It is no coincidence that the source of all this villainy is a figure from Christian mythology. It reenforces the firmly held beliefs of her target audience (Mormons and Evangelical Christians), and validates their secret prejudices.

Her target readership are people who are unable to reconcile their religious belief in a loving and all powerful God with the suffering and injustice they see in the world around them. Byington provides them with an antagonist to rationalize this dichotomy in a melodramatic morality play. It also creates a fantasy world in which they can imagine fantastic alternate lives in which they act heroically (but have repressed the memories), in stark contrast to the mundane and painfully average lives which they live now. I notice many of the people who are drawn to defend this book are active participants in the role-playing game of "recovered" memories.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:51 PM   #328
douglas mesner
Thinker

I'd be careful of mentioning JREF in to much detail to Felicity. I think she thinks we are all worshipers of Doug's radio station...let her. If she gets wind of this place, she'll come and troll like Beezulbub. Keep her in her Amazon playpen.
(Just to be clear, I don't actually have a radio station. I had a podcast many years that was public domain with attribution, dumped to various repositories, and streamed on various websites. Radiofreesatan was one of those sites. I don't know who runs that site or even if they still do anything, but I feel quite certain that they aren't a manifestation of a supernatural criminal underground.)
Old 30th October 2012, 12:57 PM   #329
joesixpack
Illuminator

(Just to be clear, I don't actually have a radio station. I had a podcast many years that was public domain with attribution, dumped to various repositories, and streamed on various websites. Radiofreesatan was one of those sites. I don't know who runs that site or even if they still do anything, but I feel quite certain that they aren't a manifestation of a supernatural criminal underground.)
(psst! We all already know this but we prefer to cast to you as the program director of "Satanic Radio, all back-masking all the time, more human sacrifices, less talk! We rock the underworld!" It's more fun this way)
Old 30th October 2012, 12:57 PM   #330
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Exactly, and this is the trouble with the believers vs. the skeptics. One treats the book as a work of non-fiction, the other group recognizes it for what it is. It is no coincidence that the source of all this villainy is a figure from Christian mythology. It reenforces the firmly held beliefs of her target audience (Mormons and Evangelical Christians), and validates their secret prejudices.

Her target readership are people who are unable to reconcile their religious belief in a loving and all powerful God with the suffering and injustice they see in the world around them. Byington provides them with an antagonist to rationalize this dichotomy in a melodramatic morality play. It also creates a fantasy world in which they can imagine fantastic alternate lives in which they act heroically (but have repressed the memories), in stark contrast to the mundane and painfully average lives which they live now. I notice many of the people who are drawn to defend this book are active participants in the role-playing game of "recovered" memories.
Right, but they carry on with this attitude as though there is no harm in it if they are wrong, but everything to be lost if they are right and dismissed as crackpots. However, matters of genocide and witch-hunts serve to correct this idea of the benign hysteric.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:05 PM   #331
douglas mesner
Thinker

(psst! We all already know this but we prefer to cast to you as the program director of "Satanic Radio, all back-masking all the time, more human sacrifices, less talk! We rock the underworld!" It's more fun this way)
Both the guys I do Process.org with are performers here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPen-yczBnQ
Notice the same symbol we use for the site flagrantly displayed throughout. With the stupid tenuous links they try to make to me, I'm surprised nobody has gone about dissecting OhGr or Skinny Puppy (same fellows, different act) lyrics and trying to tie them back to my presumed "agenda".
Old 30th October 2012, 01:18 PM   #332
Altus
Critical Thinker

Both the guys I do Process.org with are performers here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPen-yczBnQ
Notice the same symbol we use for the site flagrantly displayed throughout. With the stupid tenuous links they try to make to me, I'm surprised nobody has gone about dissecting OhGr or Skinny Puppy (same fellows, different act) lyrics and trying to tie them back to my presumed "agenda".
These minds are incapable of satire or irony. It's little wonder they don't stone kids in Halloween zombie costumes.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:23 PM   #333
Altus
Critical Thinker

Jesus Christ, Doug, my ears, my ears! Can I interest you in a little Cold Play? Phew...
Old 30th October 2012, 01:38 PM   #334
Altus
Critical Thinker

Judy's over at Amazon cock-a-doodle-doing her next venture into absurdity. If it gets voted down enough, it gets buried from the discussion. Also Orphia's review would make a nice top comment. if we can get enough votes in there. http://www.amazon.com/review/R3JKBF7...wasThisHelpful

Note: She talks about herself the third person even though the post has her name...she's even a myth in her own mind.

Last edited by Altus; 30th October 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 01:46 PM   #335
Strawberry
Muse

Judy's over at Amazon cock-a-doodle-doing her next venture into absurdity. If it get voted down enough, it get's buried from the discussion. Also Orphia's review would make a nice top comment. if we can get enough votes in there. http://www.amazon.com/review/R3JKBF7...wasThisHelpful

Note: She talks about herself the third person even though the post has her name...she's even a myth in her own mind.
That's supposed to be a sign of malignant narcissism, but I don't know how true that is. In her case, it wouldn't surprise me.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 01:54 PM   #336
Roma
Master Poster

I'd be careful of mentioning JREF in too much detail to Felicity. I think she thinks we are all worshipers of Doug's radio station...let her. If she gets wind of this place, she'll come and troll like Beezulbub. Keep her in her Amazon playpen.
I wouldn't worry about mentiong the JREF forum members, someone already did that yesterday about a dozen comments ago at the ABC4 site.

So maybe could someone re-post her comment ? Oy vay she makes me mad.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:58 PM   #337
Altus
Critical Thinker

If anybody's up for it, can somebody with a little more experience with Topix than me get a thread going over there on the Salt Lake forum with a link to ABC-4 comment section? Might draw a few more locals into the discussion who may take some action. I think the story may be off the TV now and probably buried on the site by other news.

Topix http://www.topix.com/forum/city/salt-lake-city-ut

ABC-4: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...dutF2O1Bg.cspx
Okay, nobody rose to the occasion, so I figured it out all by my lonesome. Tried to put a little sizzle in the heading for the curious locals. Let's see what happens to the ABC board. Maybe we can post the license office number if we get enough locals reading and get them to make some phone calls. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/salt-lake-city-ut
Old 30th October 2012, 02:10 PM   #338
joesixpack
Illuminator

Your friends kinda' rock, there. I'd probably like that more if I were into whatever brand of metal that is. I'm so old I remember Black Sabbath before Ozzy Osborne left the band. Since High School I haven't been very good at keeping up with rock, and especially metal. I have become the sort of adult I hated as a kid, not self identifying with a particular strain of music. I do try to keep my musical horizons broad, and I give everything a listen and a fair shake, so thanks for the link.

I am actually very surprised that these church ladies haven't pinned the Marylin Manson tag on you and your friends. They'll be all over listening to your music backwards for hidden messages, and likely finding them, too. Umm, you guys DO put subliminal messages in your music, right? All the cool kids are doing it, you know.
Old 30th October 2012, 02:28 PM   #339
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Comment from Felicity Lee on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2ATP6W...x2ED3X5N26VJ9V

"We use one account - ours' - we don't have to prove anything to you. I feel mostly sad for anyone who takes your accusations seriously. Your delusions of everyone having many accounts is just plain erroneous. Your accusations slanderous."

Did she just debunk herself? "We"?

Wouldn't you say, "I use one account - mine"?
I reposted her deleted comment.

I'm also on an iPad, so I can't get a screenshot of Byington's comment on my review in the third person. Could someone do that?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3JKBF7T6MD0I6
Old 30th October 2012, 02:35 PM   #340
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I reposted her deleted comment.

I'm also on an iPad, so I can't get a screenshot of Byington's comment on my review in the third person. Could someone do that?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3JKBF7T6MD0I6
To take a screen shot on your ipad, hold the button on the bottom in the middle down and briefly press the button at the top. Should hear a camera click...makes for easy clean pics. Do it all the time.
Old 30th October 2012, 02:48 PM   #341
Strawberry
Muse

Now she seems to be denying deleting it, even though it clearly says "comment deleted by the author six hours ago."
Old 30th October 2012, 02:56 PM   #342
Altus
Critical Thinker

Now she seems to be denying deleting it, even though it clearly says "comment deleted by the author six hours ago."
Don't expect anything more than silliness from Felicity...she's just inserting herself everywhere on the site she can to pick up victims for her website. Was noodling requesting Doug do a little article on sock puppeting and bring it down to a local level for some weekly pub where she lives....an example of this unethical behavior would be: ______ and then sending a copy to the Secretary of State's office responsible for renewing her non-profit status. I don't know though, she might have to piss me off a little more before I go to the trouble.
Old 30th October 2012, 03:02 PM   #343
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Thanks, Altus!

Old 30th October 2012, 03:04 PM   #344
douglas mesner
Thinker

Don't expect anything more than silliness from Felicity...she's just inserting herself everywhere on the site she can to pick up victims for her website. Was noodling requesting Doug do a little article on sock puppeting and bring it down to a local level for some weekly pub where she lives....an example of this unethical behavior would be: ______ and then sending a copy to the Secretary of State's office responsible for renewing her non-profit status. I don't know though, she might have to piss me off a little more before I go to the trouble.
Well, it pisses me off to no end to see that she's posted multiple reviews. At least 4 five-star reviews by my count. As I've said in a few comments, it strikes me that her belief in her own DID must be incredibly fragile that she must go to such lengths to convince OTHER people, even so far as defending as untouchable truth such a bizarre and dubious narrative as 22 Faces.
Old 30th October 2012, 03:15 PM   #345
Altus
Critical Thinker

Well, it pisses me off to no end to see that she's posted multiple reviews. At least 4 five-star reviews by my count. As I've said in a few comments, it strikes me that her belief in her own DID must be incredibly fragile that she must go to such lengths to convince OTHER people, even so far as defending as untouchable truth such a bizarre and dubious narrative as 22 Faces.
I don't know that it's been established she has DID...DIDs are pretty paranoid. They don't fight like her. One thing is for sure, she profits off of them. All these "health" professionals creating and nurturing a delusion so they can "cure" it...become heros in the minds of their "survivors". It's a sad, sick way to make a living.
Old 30th October 2012, 03:20 PM   #346
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

I want to get the stars down but I don't want to sockpuppet. Get friends to vote, I want to have a big fat wanking 1 star review.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 03:22 PM   #347
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
I want to get the stars down but I don't want to sockpuppet. Get friends to vote, I want to have a big fat wanking 1 star review.
If you wank, we'll click.
Old 30th October 2012, 03:36 PM   #348
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

what does wank mean?

truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 03:39 PM   #349
Altus
Critical Thinker

what does wank mean?
It's what Felicity does by way of her reviews. Though the term usually applies to males, I would guess in this case it can be extended...she's been wanking away for days all happy with her play.
Old 30th October 2012, 04:03 PM   #350
douglas mesner
Thinker

I would like to see the state of Utah take action. I think you're all aware that in my letter I note that Byington admitted to having conducted a session with Ms. Hill just this past August, despite being unlicensed for 10 years. I think you are also aware that she offers sessions via phone or Skype at $25 a pop. I spoke with the Utah Division of Professional and Occupational Licensing, and they state that ANYBODY can file a complaint. It's just a short, online form. See my open letter if you want to include the link to the interview and the time at which she confesses to a session with Hill. She's running this Trauma Center, I would bet, against the law, and I would like Utah to investigate: http://dopl.utah.gov/investigations/complaint.html
Old 30th October 2012, 04:12 PM   #351
douglas mesner
Thinker

I would like to see the state of Utah take action. I think you're all aware that in my letter I note that Byington admitted to having conducted a session with Ms. Hill just this past August, despite being unlicensed for 10 years. I think you are also aware that she offers sessions via phone or Skype at $25 a pop. I spoke with the Utah Division of Professional and Occupational Licensing, and they state that ANYBODY can file a complaint. It's just a short, online form. See my open letter if you want to include the link to the interview and the time at which she confesses to a session with Hill. She's running this Trauma Center, I would bet, against the law, and I would like Utah to investigate: http://dopl.utah.gov/investigations/complaint.html
She was previously licensed under 116473-3502. May help them for identification. There is also her non profit which should definitely be cited in any complaint.
Old 30th October 2012, 04:22 PM   #352
joesixpack
Illuminator

Doug, I'm curious if you contacted the PA state patrol Trooper? I'd be interested to know if he's ever heard of Hill or Byington, and if he's even remotely interested in their eyewitness account.
Old 30th October 2012, 04:27 PM   #353
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

I posted under a different name for reasons I won't go into. However she is not licensed at all I am sure of it. You need to have done an internship to protect. If she isn't working legitimately she should at least be working under the supervision of a Doctor or Agency for monitoring purposes.

I would suggest someone contact the Department of Health and Human Services and put in a complaint.

Old 30th October 2012, 04:32 PM   #354
douglas mesner
Thinker

She was previously licensed under 116473-3502. May help them for identification. There is also her non profit which should definitely be cited in any complaint.
My complaint has been filed.
Old 30th October 2012, 04:32 PM   #355
Strawberry
Muse

Doug, I'm curious if you contacted the PA state patrol Trooper? I'd be interested to know if he's ever heard of Hill or Byington, and if he's even remotely interested in their eyewitness account.
I looked up Kathleen Shea's thread on the Websleuths forum and a poster called Kateyes had this to say on the 5th June this year....

Quote:
I caught up with this thread earlier today. Later, I was researching the internet for articles on multiple personality disorder. I clicked on an article and it was about a woman who had been abused in childhood, and testified to her therapist that she remembered witnessing a 5 year old girl being sacrificed during a ritual. She said the little girl was Kathy Shea from Tyrone Pennsylvania! I called the State Police barracks where this case is still open, and talked with a trooper who is among several who are officially on this case. I thought for sure that he would say this was old news, and found to be unsubstantiated. But, he was not aware of this info, and thanked me for calling him. I emailed the article to him, and he said he would be looking into it.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=37854&page=2

It would be interesting if someone would contact him now 5 or so months have passed, and find out what happened when he looked into it?
Old 30th October 2012, 04:52 PM   #356
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know that it's been established she has DID...DIDs are pretty paranoid. They don't fight like her. One thing is for sure, she profits off of them. All these "health" professionals creating and nurturing a delusion so they can "cure" it...become heros in the minds of their "survivors". It's a sad, sick way to make a living.
Perhaps she does not have DID but wants to in order to be special. Sort of like Anita Ikonen and synesthesia albeit much more extreme.

Note that I am not attempting a diagnosis as I have neither the information nor the qualification to do so.
Old 30th October 2012, 05:01 PM   #357
Roma
Master Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPen-yczBnQ

Oh my goodness Douglas !
That looks like a satanic ritual to me

(kidding)
(not kidding)
(kidding)
....I have to watch again...'scuse me....

Last edited by Roma; 30th October 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 05:02 PM   #358
joesixpack
Illuminator

I looked up Kathleen Shea's thread on the Websleuths forum and a poster called Kateyes had this to say on the 5th June this year....

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=37854&page=2

It would be interesting if someone would contact him now 5 or so months have passed, and find out what happened when he looked into it?
So at the time the press release went out about the book (and most of the reviews I'm seeing are 5 months old) the trooper had NOT been contacted by Byington? That's interesting. You'd have thought she'd have contacted the Penn state troopers at least by then.
Old 30th October 2012, 05:10 PM   #359
Strawberry
Muse

I doubt she was planning to contact them at all, especially with Jenny Hill's history of calling the police with false alarms. Besides, cops have a tendency to ask for pesky details like times, dates, places, names, etc.
Old 30th October 2012, 05:10 PM   #360
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Perhaps she does not have DID but wants to in order to be special. Sort of like Anita Ikonen and synesthesia albeit much more extreme.

Note that I am not attempting a diagnosis as I have neither the information nor the qualification to do so.
Felicity Lee is a pseudonym. There is a person behind the pseudonym who may or may not be a therapist who owns Ivory Garden DID site which makes off DID by soliciting donations and selling crap. She may also offer therapy for a fee. Any verification on Pat, Doug? I know you are busy following up on all this stuff, and appreciate it.

Therapists aren't usually DID cases. DID cases are usually caused by therapists. It's a fugged up role play where half-assed Freudian psychology, the myth of a past trauma forgotten and a very gullible woman dance for months or years and the truama, usually rape, is invented and believed often both by therapist and patient, and lives are ruined. Jenny Hill is only one case, but this crap goes on even as we speak in varying forms. Here's another recent one. This is a DID factory: http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/288...rainwashed-her

This A-hole succeeded in getting a license in CA and opening up a center there. They suck insurance dollars in while engaging women in drama therapy to recall their pasts...it's sick, sick, sick. What's even more sick is, it's not stopped.

Last edited by Altus; 30th October 2012 at 05:42 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal