ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th October 2012, 05:44 PM   #41
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Abaddon has already compiled a sample list here.

I'll reprint it for the readers of this thread.

@Foster Zygote, #9

I will continue abaddon’s list which Foster Zygote posted to clear this up:

11. I don’t know what it is.
12. I think it will be a worldwide nuclear war because of the number of deaths. Ama said that only a third will remain (http://aristean.org/c07a-pah1.mp3 ). Maybe, about two billion people.
13. I said that China fired on its weather satellite. So it has the technology to knock out enemy’s satellites.
14. Not Ama’s prophecy, but yes, I believe that World War III is predicted in the Chinese’s I-Ching and by Nostradamus.
15. What I have been sharing are from Ama who I believe is the spirit of Jesus Christ. You may read the English translation of some in http://aristean.org/sermon.htm .
16. I suggested this because Ama said that we should have something to eat to survive for three days and three night, like food that we just cut with a knife (fruits, e.g., I guess).
17. Ama did not say the ratio of men to women. I just gave that estimate. Ama said that men will have one, two, three, four, five wives. He said that there will be a lot a women as compared to men. But men will not be satisfied.
18. I do not know what you meant by “nuclear winter”. Ama said that it will take one year, maybe to clear up to smoke. But for the first three days and three nights, we will die if we go out. I thought that after three days and three nights, the corpses have to be buried.
19. Ama’s prophecy. Not fulfilled yet. The dwelling places will just be given away free because there will be a lot of them for the few survivors.
20. Ama’s prophecy. Not fulfilled yet. He said that we will go back to bartering. So there must be no money anymore. Just bartering.
21. Ama’s prophecies. Ama said that Jesus was born on May 23, and died on August 17. I was able to prove that these are true and correct. The year when He was born? 33 BC. The year when He died? 1 BC. Currently, there is a thread here at Religion and Philosophy where the crucifixion of Jesus is being discussed.
22. Ama did not make these as prophecies. St. Evangeline is a cherub who speaks like with a cleft lip, “ngongo” in Filipino. According to Angelina Imden, Jesus assigned her to dig up the past physical bodies of Ka Apaz. About twenty years ago, she had dug up 75 bodies then who look like each other and are in coffins. I have to see this myself to say whether it is true or not.
23. I suggested draft excluders and tapes to seal off the house to prevent smoke from coming in.
PeaceCrusader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 06:03 PM   #42
Stomatopoda
Muse

For someone who wishes for nuclear war so badly, you don't seem to have even the slightest ounce of a clue about the effects of nuclear weapons.

"smoke" = lol
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 07:05 PM   #43
MIKILLINI
Incromulent Logic

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader View Post

We can discuss here the prophecies of the spirit of Ama that have happened, are happening, or conceived to have not happened at all.

Ama is the spirit who we (plural) cannot see or touch but can hear and talk to Him in our sessions with Him. Since there is a sound, we can record on audio tape our sessions.

The physical body that He uses is that of the blind 73-year-old woman Maria Liwayway Alvaran, also known as Ka Apaz, of Baliwag, Bulacan, Philippines.
Why would a blind 73 year old woman be chosen as prophet? Is this the standard that more people would pay attention to and listen or would most say that she's experiencing dementia, Alzheimers or is just plain loco? How is this believable at all?

The conspiracist is not merely illogical: he assaults logic.~ Pomeroo
MIKILLINI is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 07:16 PM   #44
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

@PeceCrusader

You tell us
Quote:
Ama did not make these as prophecies. St. Evangeline is a cherub who speaks like with a cleft lip, “ngongo” in Filipino. According to Angelina Imden, Jesus assigned her to dig up the past physical bodies of Ka Apaz. About twenty years ago, she had dug up 75 bodies then who look like each other and are in coffins. I have to see this myself to say whether it is true or not.
No you don't, really. You can assume it's not true until you find evidence that it is, and let me tell you that there is no seven feet tall woman in England or anywhere else doing such things.

And now you introduce us to a cherub who speaks like with a cleft lip! There is something preternatural - almost superhuman - about the phantasmagoria that has taken up residence in your mind.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 09:50 PM   #45
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Just please tell me why you encode the date and time of your posts? The information is logged automatically.

@Loss Leader, #34

I do not post the date and time of my posts anymore. They are for my own info. You are right, the info is logged automatically of when it is posted, but not when I start responding to it. Only the name of the poster and the message number remain though.
PeaceCrusader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 10:03 PM   #46
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I'd like to hear PeaceCrusader explain why he lied to the members of this forum when he said that he would denounce Ka Apaz/"Ama" as a false prophet if the London Olympic Games prophecy failed, why he lied again after that failure saying he would stop discussing Ama's prophecies, and why after that debacle we should take anything else that he or Ama says seriously.
PeaceCrusader, I'm repeating this post in case you missed it. Will you respond to it, or let us know why you will not answer the questions? These are important questions to other members of this forum.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:49 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

@Loss Leader, #34

I do not post the date and time of my posts anymore. They are for my own info. You are right, the info is logged automatically of when it is posted, but not when I start responding to it. Only the name of the poster and the message number remain though.
You don't need to do that, either. If you click on the little arrow button next to the name, it'll take you directly to the post you are quoting.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:08 AM   #48
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
...let me tell you that there is no seven feet tall woman in England...

Seven foot two, and with a car so useless that it takes her eight hours to get to the nearest city from the mountain where she lives.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 12:18 AM   #49
gambling_cruiser
Muse

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Seven foot two, and with a car so useless that it takes her eight hours to get to the nearest city from the mountain where she lives.
Maybe this she giant is riding on a broomstick?
Are there special speed limits for broomsticks in the uk?
Or is she incompetend in broomstick riding and falls off so often?
I have to e-mail J.K. Rowling to inquire!

Last edited by gambling_cruiser; 25th October 2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo fixed
gambling_cruiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 12:41 AM   #50
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MIKILLINI View Post
Why would a blind 73 year old woman be chosen as prophet? Is this the standard that more people would pay attention to and listen or would most say that she's experiencing dementia, Alzheimers or is just plain loco? How is this believable at all?
The medium has been at it for over 50 years.
She's also a faith healer, according to PC.

Quote:
22. Ama did not make these as prophecies. St. Evangeline is a cherub who speaks like with a cleft lip, “ngongo” in Filipino. According to Angelina Imden, Jesus assigned her to dig up the past physical bodies of Ka Apaz. About twenty years ago, she had dug up 75 bodies then who look like each other and are in coffins. I have to see this myself to say whether it is true or not.
We've already shown you there is no St Evangeline, PC.
None.

The rest of the story would have warned off any sane person that this is all sheer bunkum.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 02:09 AM   #51
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Am I in time to coin the word 'Olympocalypse' and the phrase 'Olympocalyptic Fail'?

I always wanted to coin something.
That does have a nice ring to it. Given the amount of goalpost transportation we have seen already, we may get the chance to use it frequently four years from now.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 02:55 AM   #52
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

There is no Saint Evangeline.

There never was an Egyptian princess called Reneliniyindi, nor is that an Egyptian name. This non-existent princess did not marry Philip I.

There is no Angelina Imden residing in England, and there is no place in England which is eight hours from a city. There is no possible way a person could import corpses without coming to the notice of the Border Agency or HMRC. Preventing lawful burial is a crime. This Angelina Imden character could not have been heir to the Helene Curtis cosmetics fortune. All these things are easily checkable, which is something Ama did not take into account when she made up this ridiculous story.

On these three things alone, Ama has lied to you. Not just made vague prophecies which are unlikely ever to come true, but flat out lied. Lying is a direct contravention of the commandment not to bear false witness, and the Bible forbids the consulting of mediums, spirits and the like. You've been fooled by a liar, Aristeo, and the sooner you realise this the better your life will become.
Old 25th October 2012, 03:12 AM   #53
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

You tell us No you don't, really. You can assume it's not true until you find evidence that it is, and let me tell you that there is no seven feet tall woman in England or anywhere else doing such things.
The tallest woman in England is 6ft 10. So it is a 100% fail from the start.
Old 25th October 2012, 04:11 AM   #54
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You don't need to do that, either. If you click on the little arrow button next to the name, it'll take you directly to the post you are quoting.
Good luck. He's been told that repeatedly too. Impervious would seem to be a good word for PC, with regard to all sorts of subjects.

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 04:20 AM   #55
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
PeaceCrusader, I'm repeating this post in case you missed it. Will you respond to it, or let us know why you will not answer the questions? These are important questions to other members of this forum.

@AdMan, #46

Like what you are doing now, there were pressures that I answer the questions. I was certain that I heard what Ama said. It was recorded on tape.

In my going to the Philippines last May (2012-05), He said Wednesday on the first brief session. I did not expect of His coming. He does not come regularly anymore that is why the session was not recorded on tape. I did not expect that He would reveal Wednesday as well.

I had questions ready afterwards for elaboration and with a recorder ready in case He pops in. And He did pop in on 05-04. The session lasted for about an hour.

You may have read the English translation of what He said. He mentioned the coming 2012 Olympic Games (OG) in London. That was unexpected. So we have a world war coming from the Philippines in the middle of the year (I have heard these before) on a Wednesday on or before the OG.

I did my own interpretations on these based on logic. First was 07-04 because of a sneak attack on the adversary while it is in celebration mode. The date was near the middle day of the year, 07-01 or 07-02. When it did not happen, I said 07-18, the last Wednesday in the zodiac sign of Cancer, because the society that we have now is like cancer. It did not happen. So I say that it would be on 07-25, the last Wednesday before the OG, and still in the middle of the year (June and July are the middle months of the year). It did not happen also. So I said that it would be on 08-08, the last Wednesday during the OG and still in the middle of the year (the second and third quarters are the middle quarters of the year and August is in the third quarter), and like 888 which is the number of Jesus. An eight is missing in 88, and I thought that the other eight must be the Holy Spirit. The OG ended successfully on 08-12 and I admit that the prophecy failed.

I was confident that the prophecy would happen because I see that the 19 prophecies that He gave on 1979-10-19 have happened, are happening, or will still happen like the third prophecy of universal unrest. Also, I, myself, have proven that His revelations of the May 23 birth and August 17 crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ are true and correct. Why His prophecy of a world war coming from the Philippines did not happen is a puzzle to me. My only consolation is that there is still the tensions at the Spratly Islands on why a world war would start from the Philippines.

I found and translated the English what He says about prophecy. I also found that He said in 1998 that the proposed Aristean calendar would be implemented in 2001. Logically, I believe it would. It is already 2012 and it is still unimplemented. Now, I say that His prophecies and the Aristean calendar will happen “in His time”, in God’s time.
Old 25th October 2012, 04:38 AM   #56
Multivac
Master Poster

Originally Posted by gambling_cruiser View Post
Maybe this she giant is riding on a broomstick?
Are there special speed limits for broomsticks in the uk?
Or is she incompetend in broomstick riding and falls off so often?
I have to e-mail J.K. Rowling to inquire!
There are strict speedlimits for broomsticks, or "magic propelled flying devices", to use the correct terminology. Anyone caught speeding on a broomstick will be turned into a frog and sold to a French restaurant.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 05:26 AM   #57
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

@PC
Quote:
Why His prophecy of a world war coming from the Philippines did not happen is a puzzle to me. My only consolation is that there is still the tensions at the Spratly Islands on why a world war would start from the Philippines.
It has been pointed out to you that statements of that kind are not very nice. In fact, it is impossible for the human mind to conceive, or tongue to express, an idea more revolting than that the prospect of a world war is a "consolation"! In the name of pity, did the Philippines not suffer more than enough during the last one, let alone much of the rest of the planet?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 05:31 AM   #58
fagin
Graduate Poster

... Why His prophecy of a world war coming from the Philippines did not happen is a puzzle to me. My only consolation is that there is still the tensions at the Spratly Islands on why a world war would start from the Philippines.
Seriously, I don't think you understand what you are actually saying, and if you do, you are one sick mother.
Old 25th October 2012, 06:10 AM   #59
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

...I was confident that the prophecy would happen because I see that the 19 prophecies that He gave on 1979-10-19 have happened, are happening, or will still happen like the third prophecy of universal unrest. ...
Actually, PC, if you read the predictions of other mediums and sooth-sayers you'll find much the same language, vagueness and total lack of accuracy.
Which prediction of your medium actually came to pass?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 06:19 AM   #60
Mojo
Mostly harmless

My only consolation is that there is still the tensions at the Spratly Islands on why a world war would start from the Philippines.

Here's one I prepared earlier:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I have one consolation though. Despite that the OG has already been closed, there is still the possibility that the Spratly Island dispute being claimed by the Philippines could bring a world war.

You are consoling yourself with the thought that billions of people may be wiped out as a result of a minor territorial dispute?

Lovely.

Remember: even if this war were to happen, the prophecy would still have failed because the prophecy was that this conflict would prevent the 2012 Olympic games from taking place.

The games have taken place on schedule. The prophecy has failed.

All you are consoling yourself with is the thought that billions of people might still be wiped out.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 06:33 AM   #61
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I was confident that the prophecy would happen because I see that the 19 prophecies that He gave on 1979-10-19 have happened, are happening, or will still happen like the third prophecy of universal unrest.

Your 19 prophecies had already been completely dismantled in a thread here as long ago as 2007.

Old 25th October 2012, 07:02 AM   #62
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

<snip>

You may have read the English translation of what He said. He mentioned the coming 2012 Olympic Games (OG) in London. That was unexpected. So we have a world war coming from the Philippines in the middle of the year (I have heard these before) on a Wednesday on or before the OG.

I did my own interpretations on these based on logic. First was 07-04 because of a sneak attack on the adversary while it is in celebration mode.

<snip>

What utter rubbish.

There is not the slightest hint of logic in your daft idea that China would initiate a war with the Philippines by attacking London.

Ever.

Not to mention your ludicrous assertion that the Chinese could field (or rather, transport by ship) a 200,000,000-strong army in order to do so.

Logic?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 07:17 AM   #63
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

@AdMan, #46
prophecy failed.

I was confident that the prophecy would happen because I see that the 19 prophecies that He gave on 1979-10-19 have happened, are happening, or will still happen like the third prophecy of universal unrest. Also, I, myself, have proven that His revelations of the May 23 birth and August 17 crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ are true and correct. Why His prophecy of a world war coming from the Philippines did not happen is a puzzle to me. My only consolation is that there is still the tensions at the Spratly Islands on why a world war would start from the Philippines.
You are 'consoled' that there are tensions which could lead to war (but probably won't)? That is an appalling thing to say.

None of these 19 prophecies has happened, and many are mere restatements of the status quo so are not prophecies in any sense of the word.

1 VIOLENT WEATHER - More violent manifestations of the weather will occur, causing devastation to both people and crops

More violent than what? There will always be violent weather from time to time, and occasionally people or crops are caught up in it. This is not prophecy, merely a statement of how the world has always been.

2 UNNATURAL AND UNBELIEVABLE OCCURRENCES - The world will witness a number of unnatural and unbelievable occurrences, which are nevertheless true. For one, certain infants will be born with fully-grown hair and a complete set of adult teeth. Scared by this phenomenon, mothers of these infants will be driven to getting rid of such offspring. This is one Providential notice of displeasure over mankind 's waning regard for the Kingdom of God

This is nonsense. It is not unusual, unnatural or unbelievable for babies to be born with hair and/or teeth (though not adult ones, a baby's jaw would not be big enough), and mothers do not kill their children for this reason. Not fulfilled.

3 PEOPLE'S RELATIONSHIP - Peoples' relationship with one another will take a bad turn and cause universal unrest

This isn't even trying to be a prophecy. There's nothing unusual about conflict and unrest, the human race has always been arguing over things. Not a prophecy.

4 CONFUSION OF WORSHIP - There will be worldwide confusion of worship caused by a lot of religious distortions by pseudo preachers for self-gain

Again, there has always been many different religions, and preachers who are motivated by money. Nothing new, so not a prophecy.

5 SIGNIFICANT REVELATIONS FROM HEAVEN - Heaven will make certain significant revelations which, however, will escape peoples' notice due to their engrossment in self-centered activities;

What significant revelations have been made from this non-existent place? Not fulfilled.

6 BREAK-UP OF FAMILIES - Breaking of families will come in many instances and places - brother against brother against sister against parents

Just like Jesus commanded? Many families argue. Not a prophecy, merely a statement of the status quo.

7 FIRES AND LIGHTNINGS - Fires will continue to wreck destruction all over the world, and lightning will demand quite a toll of human lives

Fires and lightning have always happened and will continue to happen. About 450 people are struck by lightning every year, but only about 10% of those struck will die from it. Not a prophecy, and not fulfilled.

8 DROUGHT - Worldwide drought will plague mankind, with the obvious consequence of plant-and-crop shortage;

Droughts in some places happen regularly, as do floods. This is a normal pattern. However, a worldwide drought has not happened. Not a prophecy and not fulfilled.

9 POPULATION EXPLOSION - Simultaneously, population will explode all over the globe, causing great turmoil;

As this is dependent on the previous one, this also fails. The population of the world is growing at the expected rate. Not fulfilled. Nor is it at all likely that if there was a worldwide drought, the population would increase at a rapid rate; on the contrary there would be famine and starvation in third world countries leading to a population decline.

10 UNPRECEDENTED SORROW - Unprecedented sorrow will rock the whole world in the second or third month of 1980

Didn't happen. Not fulfilled.

11 ALIENATION FROM GOD - People will become alienated from God due to the fact that their prayers and supplications, which are all self-serving, will not be heeded by Heaven

Since prayers are not answered in any meaningful way anyway, this is not a prophecy.

12 MIGRATION OF WILD ANIMALS - People will be horribly concerned over the migration of wild animals to towns and urban places - a foreboding sign of an imminent famine in the Philippines

If such a thing happened in the Philippines it didn't make the world news. Undetermined without further information, but not measurable or timed, so more of a guess than a prophecy.

13 INSANITY - Disease of the brain, or insanity, will prevail in 1980, 1981 until 1988, especially in the three superpower countries

Didn't happen. Not fulfilled. The dates are quite wrong for this to be referring to variant CJD

14 GOTACURAL DISEASE - A disease known as GOTACURAL will occur in epidemic proportions all over the land, and such disease will be incurable even by the known specialists of the medical profession;

We know you think this refers to AIDS, a disease which was known at the time of this prophecy, but as nobody ever refers to AIDS as GOTACURAL the prophecy fails on the first count. As hopes for a cure are high (this, for example), the second part looks set to fail too. Not fulfilled.

15 WAR - The ambition and motivation for war will be perennial inducements among all races until such inducements are made manifest three years after 1979

1982 was not a particularly bad or unusual year for war. Not specific or different enough from the status quo to be prophecy.

16 NAMELESS DISEASES - Nameless diseases will spread the cause of which will not be known, and such diseases will exact a heavy toll of human beings and work animals

Not happened. Not fulfilled.

17 WORM PLAGUE - Worms of all kinds will plague crops and ricefields to destruction; all vegetation will be affected

18 WOMEN'S LAX ON CHASTITY - Young, unmarried women lax on their chastity or virginity, will give rise to birth of illegitimate children, driving these women to commission of widespread infanticide

More children are being born outside marriage, as many couples choose not to marry. But widespread infanticide has not happened as there is no stigma in most countries to having a baby outside marriage. In the UK, for example, more than half of all babies are born outside marriage, but the majority of those are born within a committed relationship. Not fulfilled.

19 REVOLT OF THE ELEMENTS - The revolt of the elements will take a record high in the years following until the arrival or birth of the so-called 'anti-Christ'.

You've stated that the 'elements' referred to here are earth, air, fire and water rather than what are commonly called elements such as oxygen, hydrogen and so on. Earth, air and water are compounds of elements and fire is a process, not an element. None of these is in revolt (whatever that means). There are no more earthquakes, hurricanes, floods or forest fires in the present time than there has been in the past - it's just that the advent of easy worldwide communications mean we hear about them. In 1883, the eruption of Krakatoa was reported weeks later in a tiny three line report in the UK newspapers and most people away from the affected area were completely unaware that it had ever happened. Should a volcano the size of Krakatoa erupt today, the world will have 24-hour rolling news coverage on thousands of TV channels, it will be front page in newspapers and the survivors will give in-depth interviews to journalists from just about every country in the world. So not happened, and not fulfilled.
Old 25th October 2012, 08:02 AM   #64
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for presenting the nineteen once again, Agatha!
Seen today, Stardate 212596.5, they are even sillier than when I first read them.
Old 25th October 2012, 08:12 AM   #65
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
You are 'consoled' that there are tensions which could lead to war (but probably won't)? That is an appalling thing to say.

None of these 19 prophecies has happened, and many are mere restatements of the status quo so are not prophecies in any sense of the word.

1 VIOLENT WEATHER - More violent manifestations of the weather will occur, causing devastation to both people and crops

More violent than what? There will always be violent weather from time to time, and occasionally people or crops are caught up in it. This is not prophecy, merely a statement of how the world has always been.

2 UNNATURAL AND UNBELIEVABLE OCCURRENCES - The world will witness a number of unnatural and unbelievable occurrences, which are nevertheless true. For one, certain infants will be born with fully-grown hair and a complete set of adult teeth. Scared by this phenomenon, mothers of these infants will be driven to getting rid of such offspring. This is one Providential notice of displeasure over mankind 's waning regard for the Kingdom of God

This is nonsense. It is not unusual, unnatural or unbelievable for babies to be born with hair and/or teeth (though not adult ones, a baby's jaw would not be big enough), and mothers do not kill their children for this reason. Not fulfilled.

3 PEOPLE'S RELATIONSHIP - Peoples' relationship with one another will take a bad turn and cause universal unrest

This isn't even trying to be a prophecy. There's nothing unusual about conflict and unrest, the human race has always been arguing over things. Not a prophecy.

4 CONFUSION OF WORSHIP - There will be worldwide confusion of worship caused by a lot of religious distortions by pseudo preachers for self-gain

Again, there has always been many different religions, and preachers who are motivated by money. Nothing new, so not a prophecy.

5 SIGNIFICANT REVELATIONS FROM HEAVEN - Heaven will make certain significant revelations which, however, will escape peoples' notice due to their engrossment in self-centered activities;

What significant revelations have been made from this non-existent place? Not fulfilled.

6 BREAK-UP OF FAMILIES - Breaking of families will come in many instances and places - brother against brother against sister against parents

Just like Jesus commanded? Many families argue. Not a prophecy, merely a statement of the status quo.

7 FIRES AND LIGHTNINGS - Fires will continue to wreck destruction all over the world, and lightning will demand quite a toll of human lives

Fires and lightning have always happened and will continue to happen. About 450 people are struck by lightning every year, but only about 10% of those struck will die from it. Not a prophecy, and not fulfilled.

8 DROUGHT - Worldwide drought will plague mankind, with the obvious consequence of plant-and-crop shortage;

Droughts in some places happen regularly, as do floods. This is a normal pattern. However, a worldwide drought has not happened. Not a prophecy and not fulfilled.

9 POPULATION EXPLOSION - Simultaneously, population will explode all over the globe, causing great turmoil;

As this is dependent on the previous one, this also fails. The population of the world is growing at the expected rate. Not fulfilled. Nor is it at all likely that if there was a worldwide drought, the population would increase at a rapid rate; on the contrary there would be famine and starvation in third world countries leading to a population decline.

10 UNPRECEDENTED SORROW - Unprecedented sorrow will rock the whole world in the second or third month of 1980

Didn't happen. Not fulfilled.

11 ALIENATION FROM GOD - People will become alienated from God due to the fact that their prayers and supplications, which are all self-serving, will not be heeded by Heaven

Since prayers are not answered in any meaningful way anyway, this is not a prophecy.

12 MIGRATION OF WILD ANIMALS - People will be horribly concerned over the migration of wild animals to towns and urban places - a foreboding sign of an imminent famine in the Philippines

If such a thing happened in the Philippines it didn't make the world news. Undetermined without further information, but not measurable or timed, so more of a guess than a prophecy.

13 INSANITY - Disease of the brain, or insanity, will prevail in 1980, 1981 until 1988, especially in the three superpower countries

Didn't happen. Not fulfilled. The dates are quite wrong for this to be referring to variant CJD

14 GOTACURAL DISEASE - A disease known as GOTACURAL will occur in epidemic proportions all over the land, and such disease will be incurable even by the known specialists of the medical profession;

We know you think this refers to AIDS, a disease which was known at the time of this prophecy, but as nobody ever refers to AIDS as GOTACURAL the prophecy fails on the first count. As hopes for a cure are high (this, for example), the second part looks set to fail too. Not fulfilled.

15 WAR - The ambition and motivation for war will be perennial inducements among all races until such inducements are made manifest three years after 1979

1982 was not a particularly bad or unusual year for war. Not specific or different enough from the status quo to be prophecy.

16 NAMELESS DISEASES - Nameless diseases will spread the cause of which will not be known, and such diseases will exact a heavy toll of human beings and work animals

17 WORM PLAGUE - Worms of all kinds will plague crops and ricefields to destruction; all vegetation will be affected

18 WOMEN'S LAX ON CHASTITY - Young, unmarried women lax on their chastity or virginity, will give rise to birth of illegitimate children, driving these women to commission of widespread infanticide

More children are being born outside marriage, as many couples choose not to marry. But widespread infanticide has not happened as there is no stigma in most countries to having a baby outside marriage. In the UK, for example, more than half of all babies are born outside marriage, but the majority of those are born within a committed relationship. Not fulfilled.

19 REVOLT OF THE ELEMENTS - The revolt of the elements will take a record high in the years following until the arrival or birth of the so-called 'anti-Christ'.

You've stated that the 'elements' referred to here are earth, air, fire and water rather than what are commonly called elements such as oxygen, hydrogen and so on. Earth, air and water are compounds of elements and fire is a process, not an element. None of these is in revolt (whatever that means). There are no more earthquakes, hurricanes, floods or forest fires in the present time than there has been in the past - it's just that the advent of easy worldwide communications mean we hear about them. In 1883, the eruption of Krakatoa was reported weeks later in a tiny three line report in the UK newspapers and most people away from the affected area were completely unaware that it had ever happened. Should a volcano the size of Krakatoa erupt today, the world will have 24-hour rolling news coverage on thousands of TV channels, it will be front page in newspapers and the survivors will give in-depth interviews to journalists from just about every country in the world. So not happened, and not fulfilled.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...03#post8521803

Old 26th October 2012, 04:08 AM   #66
PeaceCrusader
Banned

@PC It has been pointed out to you that statements of that kind are not very nice. In fact, it is impossible for the human mind to conceive, or tongue to express, an idea more revolting than that the prospect of a world war is a "consolation"! In the name of pity, did the Philippines not suffer more than enough during the last one, let alone much of the rest of the planet?

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Seriously, I don't think you understand what you are actually saying, and if you do, you are one sick mother.

@Craig B, #57
@fagin, #58
@Agatha, #63

Yes, Craig B, fagin, Agatha, and others, my consolation in the failed 2012 Olympic Games (OG) in London prophecy is that there is still the tensions at the Spratly Islands which the Philippines is claiming. The prophesied world war may not have happened during the OG but there is still that Sword of Damocles hanging because of this conflict on the South China Sea.

Why did the prophecy at the OG not happen? Maybe because the only true God is still giving time for non-believers to change and come back to Him. As He said in my response to pakeha in message #528 in “The crucifixion of Jesus Christ” thread:

“This is what Ama said if I remember right: He will tell us the truth. If we do not want to believe Him, He will still try. If after trying and we still do not believe, then He and us will call it quits. ‘Paciencia’. We bear the consequence of our action.”
Old 26th October 2012, 04:15 AM   #67
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

@Craig B, #57
@fagin, #58
@Agatha, #63

Yes, Craig B, fagin, Agatha, and others, my consolation in the failed 2012 Olympic Games (OG) in London prophecy is that there is still the tensions at the Spratly Islands which the Philippines is claiming. The prophesied world war may not have happened during the OG but there is still that Sword of Damocles hanging because of this conflict on the South China Sea.

PC, you need to find someone who speaks both English and whatever your preferred language is and have them read what you've written here (over and over, for months) and explain to you why it is so contemptible.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 05:15 AM   #68
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Why did the prophecy at the OG not happen?
Because it was total bollocks, like everything else this sad woman has ever told you.
Old 26th October 2012, 05:53 AM   #69
Mojo
Mostly harmless

This is what Ama said if I remember right: He will tell us the truth.

"Ama" has repeatedly told you things that are obviously and demonstrably not true. Including this.

Old 26th October 2012, 05:58 AM   #70
abaddon
Philosopher

@Craig B, #57
@fagin, #58
@Agatha, #63

Still presenting global nuclear war as a good thing?

How are you going to survive? By taping up you windows and using draught excluders for 3 days?

You already admitted you have no idea how you will survive the ensuing nuclear winter, so here is what is really in front of you:

Months if not years of darkness, causing all plants to die, then all animals, including all humans.
Years if not decades or severe radioactive fallout causing painful and horrible death.
Weather disruption, spreading fallout everywhere
No roads, no electricity, no telephones, no buildings, no hospitals, no food, no potable water, just death for all and not even a swift one.
Few if any human survivors, likely spread so far out as to ensure the swift extinction of the human race.

This is what you are seeking. This is your consolation.

Three days supplies, some tape and some draught excluders will not protect you in any way.

You seem to believe three days after, you would emerge into some cleansed world, with pretty butterflies, and houses and wives for the taking. Wrong.

Even if you survived for three days, you would emerge into a world where your life would be grim, brutal and short.

And this is your consolation?

You want to scavenge the wreckage in hope of finding carrion food?
You want to be possibly reduced to cannibilism?
You want to have to drink poisoned water because there is no other?
You want to be forced to violently steal from your fellow man, just to survive?

And yet you still dont see how that is an odd desire
Old 26th October 2012, 06:20 AM   #71
fagin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
you would emerge into a world where your life would be grim, brutal and short.

And this is your consolation?

You want to scavenge the wreckage in hope of finding carrion food?
You want to be possibly reduced to cannibilism?
You want to have to drink poisoned water because there is no other?
You want to be forced to violently steal from your fellow man, just to survive?

And yet you still dont see how that is an odd desire
I see a movie in there somewhere - wonder if it's been done already?
Old 26th October 2012, 06:58 AM   #72
abaddon
Philosopher

I recall the BBC or C4 did one years ago that tried to stick to the science as far as possible. Any takers? Can't remember the name.

Also "when the wind blows", an animated take on it. For some reason, it reminds me of how PC sees nuclear war.

Otherwise, there are many such movies, some sticking more to facts, some to fiction.
Old 26th October 2012, 07:11 AM   #73
abaddon
Philosopher

"Threads" was what I was looking for.
Old 26th October 2012, 07:49 AM   #74
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Threads, I remember that. There was one I saw in the early eighties too, what was that called? We watched it at school and it was well scary.

Edited: having googled, I'm almost certain it was The War Game, as I remember at least some of it being in B&W and the description of the action accords with my memory. It's from the 60s but was banned for a while for being too terrifying.

Last edited by Agatha; 26th October 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 08:39 AM   #75
abaddon
Philosopher

Threads, I remember that. There was one I saw in the early eighties too, what was that called? We watched it at school and it was well scary.

Edited: having googled, I'm almost certain it was The War Game, as I remember at least some of it being in B&W and the description of the action accords with my memory. It's from the 60s but was banned for a while for being too terrifying.
LOL, the americans got "duck and cover", while over this side of the puddle, we got really scary movies.

PC still thinks after three days he will emerge to the Dawn Chorus. He seems oblivious as to how horrible the aftermath would be.

ETA: IIRC, "The War Game" was BW fictional sequences cut with colour interviews of real scientists? Or possibly that was another one. Time to put on my investigoogle helmet.

Last edited by abaddon; 26th October 2012 at 08:45 AM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 08:47 AM   #76
Stomatopoda
Muse

PC still thinks after three days he will emerge to the Dawn Chorus. He seems oblivious as to how horrible the aftermath would be.
Well, seeing how he believes the elements are Fire/Water/Earth/Wind, you can't seriously expect him to grasp the concept of radiation, can you? Nuclear weapons are just Fire turned up to 11!
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 09:14 AM   #77
Neutiquam Erro
mennil-toss flykune

LOL, the americans got "duck and cover", while over this side of the puddle, we got really scary movies.

ETA: IIRC, "The War Game" was BW fictional sequences cut with colour interviews of real scientists? Or possibly that was another one. Time to put on my investigoogle helmet.
I was shown "The War Game" in high school, in California, back in the late 70s. It was a "big event", as the film was shown at my school only once every 2-3 years; apparently there was one, and only one print which was circulated through the schools. These were pre-video days, and we were always overjoyed to walk into the classroom to see a huge movie reel mounted on the 16mm projector. I have no idea if the screening was officially sponsored by the school system or if it was through some outside agency.

I know that it is streaming on Netflix now, or at least it has been very recently.
Neutiquam Erro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 09:25 AM   #78
abaddon
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Neutiquam Erro View Post
I was shown "The War Game" in high school, in California, back in the late 70s. It was a "big event", as the film was shown at my school only once every 2-3 years; apparently there was one, and only one print which was circulated through the schools. These were pre-video days, and we were always overjoyed to walk into the classroom to see a huge movie reel mounted on the 16mm projector. I have no idea if the screening was officially sponsored by the school system or if it was through some outside agency.

I know that it is streaming on Netflix now, or at least it has been very recently.
Having read the wiki entry, I sorta 50% match, but 50% not. Memory plays tricks, so I cannot definitively say this was the movie I saw. There were plenty of them in that period. It could easily have been another.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:44 AM   #79
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

I remember watching "The Day After" on television in the early '80's. That one was focused on the aftermath of a nuclear exchange, but not on the scale that PC seems to be actively hoping for. Blech.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 10:44 AM   #80
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Reminds me of a video game I played once. Fallout 3.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy