IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ted Gunderson

Old 27th October 2012, 09:44 AM   #1
douglas mesner
Thinker

Ted Gunderson: Death of a Public Paranoid

"Sensationalist journalism quoting from him almost universally described Gunderson only as a former FBI man, even long after he had become an obvious caricature, a public paranoid for hire. Ted was still simply a respected former FBI man even after decades of attaching his expertise to the furthest-flung theories of world-wide Illuminati/Masonic/Satanic/Zionist conspiracies. Throughout the moral panic of the 1980s – 1990s regarding Satanic cults thought to be subverting Christian-American lives, he would regularly appear on daytime talk shows warning of the insidious influence of Heavy Metal music and ubiquitous subliminal urgings being silently forced upon impressionable youthful minds. Even as late as 2007, long after any cursory research into his background should have revealed him to be a delirious source of (at best) unreliable information, famed CNN correspondent Anderson Cooper invoked Gunderson’s expertise in defense of alleged “psychic” Sylvia Browne in the face of criticisms presented by professional debunker and skeptical author, James Randi:

Cooper: [...] James, you’ve actually called Sylvia Browne a villain. We spoke to Ted Gunderson, who’s a retired senior special agent in charge of the FBI in Los Angeles. He’s worked with Sylvia Browne, and he says — he says he’s worked with her quite a bit. And he said this about her. He says, quote, “I’ve worked with numerous psychics in the past and very few are really on target, but Sylvia Browne is probably one of the most accurate psychics in the country.”
Now, that’s from a former senior FBI official. Are you saying he’s wrong?"

http://www.process.org/discept/2012/...blic-paranoid/

Many months ago I posted this little biographical piece about Ted Gunderson online. It's put together from Ted's FBI file obtained by FOIA request, various news reports and personal interviews.
The name Ted Gunderson came up several times on another thread, which was exciting to me as I had come to assume that the only person who might be interested in my Gunderson research is myself. I apologize if posting one's own articles may seem self-promoting, but I think the Gunderson story is truly important in our understanding of modern conspiracy folklore...
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Strawberry
Master Poster

A fascinating and well written article. One complaint though - what happened to Part two?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 05:44 PM   #3
douglas mesner
Thinker

Until now, almost nobody suffered through part 1. I'm thrilled to find some interested readers here, though, and it has moved me to finish up part 2 in the near future. Part 2 is, I think, important, because it will describe Gunderson's insane (mostly imaginary) McMartin Preschool investigation where he concluded (not surprisingly) that satanic cult crimes were afoot. It's a claim that still finds resolute true believers today.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Nick Terry
Master Poster

Let me add my encouragement on this. Part I was a very interesting read.

Everytime one asks you holocaust deniers for positive evidence you just put your finger in the ears, dance around and sing lalala - Kevin Silbstedt
Nick Terry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

I enjoyed part 1. Looking forward to part 2.
Old 28th October 2012, 07:39 AM   #6
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Very nicely done. I, too, am looking forward to Part 2.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Joey McGee
Banned

Wow, good job Keeping Them Honest Anderson, fawning over John Edwards isn't your poorest moment on this issue apparently. He should cry in shame.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Wow, good job Keeping Them Honest Anderson, fawning over John Edwards isn't your poorest moment on this issue apparently. He should cry in shame.
Anderson also did an absolutely ludicrous report one time on exorcism. He did express skepticism, but he gave far too much credibility to the whole thing with that false sense of journalistic "objectivity" that likes to pretend that "both sides" are generally equally weighted in all things. I never realized just how horrible Larry King was until I started meeting some of the big names in pseudoscience and bizarre conspiracy theories and in my preliminary research I would often find these people had interviewed with him. One of my favorites was when a guy named Stan Romanek claimed to have a video of an alien peeking into his window. King invited him on the show, but Stan didn't show the video! He claimed some secret scientists were looking the footage over, so the show settled for a re-enactment! Further, it turned out that Romanek made claims like this ALL the time, a fact King never mentioned on his show.

Anyway, thank you everybody. I'll get cracking on part 2. It will be done! I have this massive Gunderson file I can't allow to come to nothing...
Old 28th October 2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

I never understand how people can claim the government is trying to kill them with a straight face. If a government wants you dead, you're dead. I'm pretty sure the nation that put men on the moon has the resources to kidnap, kill and dispose of the remains of one man.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 03:25 PM   #10
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I never understand how people can claim the government is trying to kill them with a straight face. If a government wants you dead, you're dead. I'm pretty sure the nation that put men on the moon has the resources to kidnap, kill and dispose of the remains of one man.
Yeah, that's something I've wondered about too. How could Gunderson really think that the government -- his idea of the government as an all-powerful Illuminati Satanic supernatural powerhouse -- would be so incompetent and full of juvenile mischief as to send him grammatically incorrect threats, rather than simply killing him? I went to a conference for a conspiracy theory-based organization called S.M.A.R.T. (Stop Mind-control And Ritual abuse Today). They were actually selling electromagnetic beam-blocking hats. There was talk of the Illuminati and all kinds of the stereotypical paranoid delusional fears. During one of the "lectures" it was suddenly noted that nobody had mounted guard at the door! Of course, I suppose that this put us all in danger, so some morbidly obese woman in her late fifties or early sixties volunteered. With great difficulty, she rose up, walked across the room, and sat in a chair next to the door. It was one of many moments where I though in horror, 'I have no idea what world these people are living in'. I wrote about that conference: http://www.process.org/discept/2009/...nference-2009/

Last edited by douglas mesner; 28th October 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 28th October 2012, 03:44 PM   #11
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Gunderson lost his ties to LE long ago, and the only folks that didn't know it were the general public.

Gunderson was a known crank and nutcase, and every LE agency in California (at least) was warned through the Ca. DOJ that Gunderson was unreliable and had provided (at best) "incorrect and questionable" evidence in cases he was involved with.

He had -0- credibility.

Good article.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Joey McGee
Banned

I saw that Larry King show. I also saw his UFO ones. I have also heard Alex Jones say that many people from CNN sympathize with him. At the end of the day despite my hatred and disdain for that deluded schmuck I wonder if he's probably right.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Joey McGee
Banned

Yeah and a damn fine article by my standards. Zero points off. Can't wait to read more
Old 9th November 2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Wasn't there a thread here in CTs about S.M.A.R.T & ritual abuse? I can't find it for the life of me. I'm hoping a regular will see this and know who started it and/or help me find it.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 07:25 AM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Wasn't there a thread here in CTs about S.M.A.R.T & ritual abuse? I can't find it for the life of me. I'm hoping a regular will see this and know who started it and/or help me find it.
This one? Over in GS&P.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
This one? Over in GS&P.
Thanks, catsmate1, but not that one. I started that one.

I'm sure there was one here in CTs that began with "S.M.A.R.T."... but the search function won't play nice with that term.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 08:57 PM   #17
JTF
Graduate Poster

Legend In His Own Mind

DOUG: Terrific article on Gunderson. I do feel compelled, however, to comment on the following excerpts from your well written article.

"And today, over 40 years after the crime, there is still bitter and divisive controversy over whether or not Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald himself is guilty of slaying his pregnant wife and 2 daughters"

COMMENT: Due to the FACT that MacDonald is serving three consecutive life sentences for the brutal murders of his pregnant wife and two daughters, inmate lost his medical license in 1983, so it is inappropriate to refer to him as "Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald."

COMMENT: The only bitterness in this case is put forth by advocates for MacDonald who include fanatics, flakes, conspiracy theorists, groupies, legal opportunists, and media members new to this case. To those who adhere to documented fact and concrete evidence, there is no divisive controversy in this case.

MacDonald was convicted in less than 7 years of a triple homicide. The prosecution presented over 1,100 evidentiary items at trial and that was only about 60 percent of their case file. This included blood, fiber, hair, bloody footprints, fabric damage, bloody fabric and non-fabric impression evidence.

There is NO evidence of a hippie home invader's presence at the crime scene. No hair, no fingerprints, no fibers, nothing, nada, zip. The evidence of his guilt and the lack of evidence of intruders are the main reasons why the appellate courts have ruled against inmate's seven-time bid for a new trial. MacDonald is not simply guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, he is guilty beyond ALL doubt.

"Whatever the evidence may indicate of the actual sequence of events in the MacDonald household that fatal night in 1970,"

COMMENT: The evidence DEMONSTRATED that MacDonald hit his wife 6 times in the head with a 31 inch piece of wood, stabbed her 16 times with a kitchen knife, and stabbed her 21 times with an ice pick. MacDonald also hit his wife multiple times on the arms with the 31 inch club which resulted in both her arms being broken. The evidence demonstrated that MacDonald hit his 5 year old daughter three times in the face with the club and stabbed her 8 times in the neck with a kitchen knive.

The evidence demonstrated that MacDonald stabbed his 2 year old daughter a total of 33 times in the chest/back with a kitchen knife/ice pick. The evidence demonstrated that Jeffrey MacDonald did not require a single suture to close several superficial wounds and that his lone severe wound was a neat, clean wound on the right side of his chest which was only 1 centimeter in length.

DOUG: I would be remiss, however, if I didn't compliment you on your thorough coverage of Gunderson's three year run as inmate's private investigator. Not only was Gunderson inept, but he was incredibly lazy.
Near the end of his run as inmate's hired gun, he provided a list to the FBI of the seven home invaders who killed the MacDonald family.

Five of the seven "real" killers were still alive, but Gunderson made no attempt to find, much less interview any of them. Well, Fayetteville newspaper reporters Steve Huettel and Pat Reese had no problems finding these individuals. All five "suspects" denied involvement in the murders, calling Stoeckley's claims, "the ravings of a madwoman."

MacDonald was becoming frustrated with Gunderson's lack of progress and once Gunderson asked for funds on top of his already healthy fee, MacDonald kicked him to the curb. After being fired by inmate, Gunderson began his concocted life on the run from the mythical "Black Cult."

Last edited by JTF; 13th December 2012 at 09:01 PM.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 06:08 AM   #18
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by JTF View Post
COMMENT: Due to the FACT that MacDonald is serving three consecutive life sentences for the brutal murders of his pregnant wife and two daughters, inmate lost his medical license in 1983, so it is inappropriate to refer to him as "Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald."

Is that the same case being discussed in this thread?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=249368

I'm not familiar with the case, but noticed the thread last week. Might be relevant.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:13 AM   #19
JTF
Graduate Poster

Correction And Gunderson's Role

Correction on my initial post on this thread. Jeffrey MacDonald was convicted in less than 7 HOURS of three counts of murder.

"I'm not familiar with the case, but noticed the thread last week. Might be relevant."

HORATIUS: The Jeffrey MacDonald case is the most litigated murder case in history and the conclusions put forth by Ted Gunderson were the driving force behind MacDonald's initial bid for a new trial. The main argument for MacDonald's innocence is that the Army conspired with the FBI to railroad MacDonald and cover for a mythical group of hippie home invaders. Gunderson took it a step further by claiming that the home invaders called themselves the "Black Cult" and that they had committed 13 murders. Typical paranoid nonsense from the conspiracy king.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories